Author Topic: Cherry Stabilizers + MX blacks PCB  (Read 112780 times)

Offline Gloomy Moonie

Re: Cherry Stabilizers
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 11:24:18 »
Just to make sure, would the 2x stabilizer fit the ErgoDox?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 12:15:13 »
Where I can get sizes of stabilizers for plate design? Datasheet etc...

This is the Cherry MX datasheet hosted by digikey.com. Page 10-4 has all the information on the stabilizers. Cherry calls them "leveler kits". There is also information on this in the Simple Questions Simple Answers OP.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 12:16:57 »
If your board uses Cherry type stabilizers what is offered here is going to work for the vast majority of keyboard models. The only exceptions being any that use odd sizes like 3, 4.x, 5.x, 6.0 since those wire lengths are not available here.
As far as adapting Costar to Cherry... it is possible but would require considerable effort. You would have to disassemble the entire thing and modify the plate or have a new plate made with the appropriate stab cut outs.

Offline TBone

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 13:03:57 »
Thanks for doing this Ivan, very helpful for whenever I decide to build a custom!

EDIT: Changed my order...just getting enough for my own custom for now. Need to save up for my case.  :p
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 July 2014, 00:35:09 by TBone »

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 13:29:51 »
Placed my order.

This time Google didn't offer me a link, so I can edit it later.

In case I decide to get more stuff I just place a new order to replace the old one right?

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 15:27:26 »
Ah sweet. I'll prolly get 2 pcb stab sets (to be combined with dolch) =D
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 16:33:12 »
Ordered. Thanks ! :thumb:
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline TBone

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 17:12:00 »
Yeah to change my order do I just submit another one? Will it overwrite by email/GH name or address (like on what field)?

Offline pix3l_fodder

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 17:35:19 »
forgot that ISO has one extra stab, need to change order also.... may buy some more just for sake.

Offline osxoep

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 18:44:53 »
forgot that ISO has one extra stab, need to change order also.... may buy some more just for sake.
it does? I thought ISO needed one less
HHKB Pro JP with hasu's controller (waiting for MX sliders)

Offline Vintage

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 22:45:32 »
Great GB :)

Will the spacebar stabilizers work for 6.25x and 7x spacebars?.... or only 6.25?
CM QFR w/ MX Reds  | Logitech G900

Offline GSimon

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 00:02:02 »
Great GB :)

Will the spacebar stabilizers work for 6.25x and 7x spacebars?.... or only 6.25?

...The 6.25 PCB/plate mount will work for 6.25x sizes and the 7 PCB/plate mount will work for 7x spacebars. Did you bother to check the order form?

Offline TBone

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 00:36:29 »
Sorry I keep changing my order Ivan, I've just been submitting other forms but this is my last time I promise! I only changed twice  :p

Offline pix3l_fodder

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 02:43:17 »
it does? I thought ISO needed one less

sorry confusing myself.... ugh long day! Its also because I plan on making a ANSI/ISO crossover i was getting confused! For ISO its backspace, enter, right shift and space bar right?
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 July 2014, 02:45:11 by pix3l_fodder »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 09:51:43 »
ISO or JIS need one less 2.x as there is one less shift key that requires a stabilizer. 6.25 and 7 have different size wires so they are not interchangeable.

If you want to change your order resubmitting is the way to do so.
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 July 2014, 09:53:50 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 10:24:58 »
Ordered a few sets last night. Thanks Ivan!
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 00:42:18 »
I haven't been able to find any comparison, but what are the benefits of plate vs pcb mount Cherry stabs?  I'm used to Cherry PCB stabs, but have never used the plate mounted versions.
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 03:15:05 »
I haven't been able to find any comparison, but what are the benefits of plate vs pcb mount Cherry stabs?  I'm used to Cherry PCB stabs, but have never used the plate mounted versions.
The only functional difference is that the plate-mounted snap to the plate instead of to the PCB. They work and feel the same.

The parts that snap to the plate/PCB are not interchangeable. You can't put PCB-mounted in a plate-mounted keyboard and vice versa.
There are exceptions in DIY keyboards where a plate would be optional there are sometimes extra large holes in the plate to allow the PCB-mounted stabs to be fitted.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 July 2014, 06:44:21 by Findecanor »

Offline Limewirelord

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 05:39:07 »
Crap, can I cancel my minor order for the stabs?  Some unexpected expenses came up so I'm minimizing any unnecessary costs, even if they are trivial.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 10:43:44 »
Is it possible to replace the costar stabs of a filco with the plate mounted ones from here?

yes. you can buy a phantom plate and install it on your filco at the same time. bphinay also makes and sells programable contollers for it also.

edit.... plate applies to tkl filco. controllers have been made for tkl and fullsized both.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 16:24:34 »
Is it possible to replace the costar stabs of a filco with the plate mounted ones from here?

yes. you can buy a phantom plate and install it on your filco at the same time. bphinay also makes and sells programable contollers for it also.

edit.... plate applies to tkl filco. controllers have been made for tkl and fullsized both.

You cannot use a phantom plate on a Filco keyboard due to the controller (or any other keyboard where the controller is on the top). You need a universal TKL plate for those keyboards.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline ProCarpet

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 03:36:56 »
Just orderd a bunch nice right on time when my keyboard is about to finish :D

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 13:41:33 »
Bought some random stuff, great GB! Thought I have to order some from GON just because I needed a 7x stabilizer...

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 14:16:33 »

You cannot use a phantom plate on a Filco keyboard due to the controller (or any other keyboard where the controller is on the top). You need a universal TKL plate for those keyboards.

thanks for the correction I know that derp... lol

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 14:09:51 »
Order amounts added to OP. Order more spacebar stabs.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 14:22:42 »

Looking at totals, the spacebar to 2x ratio is ~.42.  Doesn't that already seem high given the standard TKL board has a .25 ratio?

Offline TBone

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 14:23:19 »

I'm correct that all hit MOQ right? Yay!  :D

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 14:53:17 »
Obviously the 2.x is going to be way higher than spacebars as we have a 4:1 ratio at minimum for 60%, 75% and TKL and a 7:1 on fullsize. I also haven't gotten the numbers for existing stabs orders from the GH60 buy yet. It's only the way it's going we can get a volume price break. It's already there for the 2.x just would like to see it for the spacebars too.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 July 2014, 14:56:31 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline geniekid

« Reply #78 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 15:11:19 »
What is the quantity needed for the price break?  I can add a few more stabs to my order... :)

Offline TBone

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 15:32:37 »
What is the quantity needed for the price break?  I can add a few more stabs to my order... :)

This. Just let us know Ivan and I can bump it!  :thumb:

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 17:51:19 »
Double my tiny qty of 7x and 6.25x (I don't recall what I submitted to begin with or I'd submit a new one!)

I encourage anyone else to do the same. Spacebar stabs aren't so easy to find as a 2x. Get yourself 1:1 space to 2x, or you'll be crying when your 10th project board has everything but a spacebar

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 18:28:10 »
100 to a box, 4 boxes to a carton (400 units price)... then I don't know. I wonder what's in a whole pallet???

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 19:06:22 »
Are plate or PCB mounted stabilizers more common in custom boards? IIRC, PCB mounted stabilizers are, but I want to double check before I order anything.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 20:04:15 »
Are plate or PCB mounted stabilizers more common in custom boards? IIRC, PCB mounted stabilizers are, but I want to double check before I order anything.

Most of the Korean customs I've seen use PCB mount stabs.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 20:45:59 »
I would check plate cutout compatibility. If your plate can use plate stabs you might want to go that way as they generally feel less 'mushy' since the bottom of the inserts don't come into contact with anything when bottoming them out.

Offline garrettwp

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 02:01:46 »
Just placed an order. Found out I need pcb stabs for my ergodox build which uses the mechanicalkeyboards.com pcb.

- Garrett
CM Storm Rapid (MX Browns), Ducky Shine 3 (MX Blues), Ergodox (Soon to be built)

Offline Leimi

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 05:57:13 »
Ordered! Thanks for the GB :)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 12:27:39 »
GMK is offering us a rather nice deal on some surplus PCB with MX black. These are an 1800 style PCB that will come preconfigured for ANSI but also support ISO layout.

They lack a controller but have a convenient pin header that could be used to hook up a teensy or similar. As assembled they would be 2KRO. The 3 lock switches have support on the PCB for in switch lock lights.
Price will be €15/ea with approximately 300 pieces available. This option is now added to the order form in the OP.

Another similar PCB in a matrix layout may also be offered. I will let you know when I have further details on that one.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 July 2014, 12:31:21 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 12:31:22 »
GMK is offering us a rather nice deal on some surplus PCB with MX black. These are an 1800 style PCB that will come preconfigured for ANSI but also support ISO layout.
Show Image

Show Image

They lack a controller but have a convenient pin header that could be used to hook up a teensy or similar. As assembled they would be 2KRO. The 3 lock switches have support on the PCB for in switch lock lights. These should fit inside a standard G81-1800 case.
Price will be €15/ea with approximately 300 pieces available. This option is now added to the order form in the OP.

Another similar PCB in a matrix layout may also be offered. I will let you know when I have further details on that one.

So, in theory, since this has no controller of its own, you could replace all the in-switch jumpers with in-switch diodes to get NKRO using a Teensy, right? Count me in.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 12:33:10 »
Show Image

Show Image

They lack a controller but have a convenient pin header that could be used to hook up a teensy or similar. As assembled they would be 2KRO. The 3 lock switches have support on the PCB for in switch lock lights. These should fit inside a standard G81-1800 case.

So, in theory, since this has no controller of its own, you could replace all the in-switch jumpers with in-switch diodes to get NKRO using a Teensy, right? Count me in.

Oooh, if you can do this, then I'm in.   :thumb:

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 12:39:35 »
Show Image

Show Image

Oooh, if you can do this, then I'm in.   :thumb:

I can't tell if those jumper pads have traces going to them, though. It looks like maybe they don't. :(
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 12:47:32 »
No I don't think there are traces for diodes on those PCB. Perhaps with the right firmware you could get more than 2KRO but probably less than 6KRO as is. Low KRO isn't so much of a deal breaker if you're not going to use it for gaming. If you really wanted to I suppose you could semi rewire the matrix with jumper wire to make it work for 6KRO+.  Short of that can always pull off the cheap MX blacks for something else.

Offline TBone

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 12:56:17 »
Yeah at that price, those MX Blacks are a steal. Plus you get a free PCB. I might pick this up if I can decide that I want mx blacks over clears on my phantom... I just can't make up my mind yet. I'd be putting 68g gold plated springs from Sprit in it. Oh the choices!  :confused:

Offline Findecanor

Re: Cherry Stabilizers + 1800 PCB
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 13:35:56 »
BTW, that PCB would not fit into a real G80-1800, but it would take the same stabilisers and keycaps as one.
The Space Bar would have to be a Cherry/GMK type... 6 units wide and offset switch stem, but there are no 6-unit stabilizer available in this group buy ... ;)

I'd say that PCB is for someone who wants the switches or wants to mod it to build one with a large number of function keys or cut the PCB up to make a smaller keyboard in some custom layout.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 July 2014, 13:39:53 by Findecanor »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #94 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 13:41:24 »
BTW, that PCB would not fit into a real G80-1800

Just out of curiosity's sake, how can you tell it won't fit?

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #95 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 13:43:01 »
BTW, that PCB would not fit into a real G80-1800

Gaps between arrow cluster/alphanumerics/numpad - there aren't any.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 13:45:38 »
Because on a real G80-1800 there is some space in-between groups of keys, space that I can not see here.

On this PCB you can see an unbroken row of nine one-unit keys on the bottom row. On a real G80-1800, that row is broken: the cursor keys are forward and with space around to the main area and to the numeric keypad. There is also space between Return and the numeric keypad on a G80-1800. There is also 1/4u space between Esc and F1 and between each function-key group.

BTW, I think you would need a Teensy++ if you are going to support all keys. A regular Teensy doesn't have as many I/O lines as this keyboard has header pins.
I think this keyboard could be great cheap PCB to cut up into a custom 70% or whatever. I am tempted to buy one just for that.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 July 2014, 14:00:41 by Findecanor »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #97 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 14:05:02 »
You're right. I suppose it would actually be closer to this one. Or possibly it is exactly to this one?

It's not a direct fit for an 1800. I am not sure what other commonly available stock cases from other boards if any this PCB would fit inside without any modification.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 July 2014, 14:55:34 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 14:39:22 »
Great! ordered a PCB as well.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Misterorjoe

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 16:25:37 »
Would I want a plate mount or a PCB mount for an acrylic Massdrop Ergodox?