Author Topic: Cherry Stabilizers + MX blacks PCB  (Read 113021 times)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
Re: Cherry Stabilizers + 1800 PCB
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 16:40:08 »
You're right. I suppose it would actually be closer to this one. Or possibly it is exactly to this one?
Show Image

It's not a direct fit for an 1800. I am not sure what other commonly available stock cases from other boards if any this PCB would fit inside without any modification.

That is a pretty awesome layout actually.  Ivan, I know you have probably said it many times, but if I don't have the link to edit my order, how do I update my order?  I believe I just resubmit my order, but I don't know if I only add to it or if I also specify what I had in my previous order.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #101 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 16:42:29 »
If you want to change your order resubmitting is the way to do so.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 16:45:31 »
When resubmit you need to enter in everything as the old order gets discarded.

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #103 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 16:50:31 »
Are these PCB + switches brand new or used? I will be down for one if they are vintage black.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 16:58:04 »
They are brand new surplus.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 17:00:26 »
Would I want a plate mount or a PCB mount for an acrylic Massdrop Ergodox?

The Massdrop boards don't have any holes for PCB stabilizers (only the white MK boards have them) so I'm pretty sure you will want plate mount.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #106 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 17:05:07 »
Is that a trackpoint mount on the PCB between the FGV keys?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 17:18:27 »
When resubmit you need to enter in everything as the old order gets discarded.

Perfect, thanks for clarifying...  :)

Offline Lubed Up Slug

« Reply #108 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:06:55 »
What is the difference between all the different types of stabilizers? In terms of compatibility, feel, and durability?

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #109 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:29:53 »
Hi Ivan, how much do you think would be the additional cost of shipping for the PCB?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #110 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 10:00:51 »
I'm really not sure the shipping price as I do not know the weight, but I will assume it will be at least $20 for international if they have to be shipped from USA. If there are enough international buyers I will see if I can get some proxy re-shipping partner in DE or elsewhere that has more advantageous shipping rates.

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #111 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 10:33:42 »
Since the stabs from my GH60 order will now be rolled into this one, I reduced my quantities.  Thanks again!
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #112 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 10:49:35 »
I'm in Canada but I'd love to get a PCB just for the switches. Would there be anyone able to desolder them and ship the switches alone? I'd be happy to pay for the time and effort required to do so, as I'd be saving a significant amount getting switches in this way than buying them normally.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #113 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 10:50:52 »
For the Massdrop ErgoDox, you would want Costar-style plate-mount stabilisers instead. Cherry-style stabilisers won't fit.

What is the difference between all the different types of stabilizers? In terms of compatibility, feel, and durability?
You wouldn't order unless you think  you will have a DIY project where you would need them. ;) It depends on the PCB and/or plate you choose. The merits of Cherry vs. Costar-style plate-mount stabilisers has been discussed at length in other threads ... The feel of PCB-mounted and plate-mounted Cherry-style stabilisers is about the same because the parts are mostly the same.

Offline Lubed Up Slug

« Reply #114 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 13:51:14 »
For the Massdrop ErgoDox, you would want Costar-style plate-mount stabilisers instead. Cherry-style stabilisers won't fit.

You wouldn't order unless you think  you will have a DIY project where you would need them. ;) It depends on the PCB and/or plate you choose. The merits of Cherry vs. Costar-style plate-mount stabilisers has been discussed at length in other threads ... The feel of PCB-mounted and plate-mounted Cherry-style stabilisers is about the same because the parts are mostly the same.

I just built an ergodox and have a sprit 60% PCB on the way.  So get costars for the ergodox and these for the 60%?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #115 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 22:24:20 »

I just built an ergodox and have a sprit 60% PCB on the way.  So get costars for the ergodox and these for the 60%?

You need PCB mount stabs for Sprits builds (unless you managed to get a 1.6mm plate).  For the Ergodox, I think it depends on which PCBs you got.  I just read recently (i think) that the MK ergodox pcbs have pcb mount stabilizer holes, but the MD ones don't.  I have never verified this, but something to check...

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #116 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 01:40:04 »
Ordered :) Thanks Ivan!

Offline apathy3cs

• Glorious Leader
  • その目だれの目?
« Reply #117 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 02:52:45 »
spare parts?
Good prices?
something to tinker with?

Always a good thing.  Thanks for setting up!

Offline apathy3cs

• Glorious Leader
  • その目だれの目?
« Reply #118 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 03:14:30 »

You need PCB mount stabs for Sprits builds (unless you managed to get a 1.6mm plate).  For the Ergodox, I think it depends on which PCBs you got.  I just read recently (i think) that the MK ergodox pcbs have pcb mount stabilizer holes, but the MD ones don't.  I have never verified this, but something to check...
I'm still somewhat new to this but from what I do understand I'm pretty sure the MD one does come with it.  Picture for reference:

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #119 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 13:51:53 »
I've PM'd you about payment Ivan :thumb:
Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline QWERTim

• QWERKeys
« Reply #120 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 03:39:55 »
Hi Ivan

Just a heads up when ordering, make sure that you clarify you want the PLATE mount stabs alongside PCB stabs. Turns out they have 3 varieties: PCB snap in, PCB screw mount and Plate mount. GMK managed to mixed our order up and almost sent us both PCB mounts when we wanted Plate and PCB!

If you need further details such as the GMK part numbers, drop me a PM and I'll send them over.

« Last Edit: Thu, 31 July 2014, 04:23:49 by QWERTim »

Offline Motan22

« Reply #121 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 04:59:17 »
Ordered some PCB stabilizers in preparation for the Duck Viper & Eagle, one step closer, thanks Ivan.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #122 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 08:38:07 »
Hi Ivan

Just a heads up when ordering, make sure that you clarify you want the PLATE mount stabs alongside PCB stabs. Turns out they have 3 varieties: PCB snap in, PCB screw mount and Plate mount. GMK managed to mixed our order up and almost sent us both PCB mounts when we wanted Plate and PCB!

:thumb:

That's really interesting!  I'm curious which PCB ones we will be getting.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #123 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 08:39:19 »
BTW, that PCB would not fit into a real G80-1800

Just out of curiosity's sake, how can you tell it won't fit?
Gaps between arrow cluster/alphanumerics/numpad - there aren't any.

Just out of curiosity's sake, how can you tell it won't fit?
Because on a real G80-1800 there is some space in-between groups of keys, space that I can not see here.

On this PCB you can see an unbroken row of nine one-unit keys on the bottom row. On a real G80-1800, that row is broken: the cursor keys are forward and with space around to the main area and to the numeric keypad. There is also space between Return and the numeric keypad on a G80-1800. There is also 1/4u space between Esc and F1 and between each function-key group.

Thanks for the info guys :D

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #124 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 08:54:00 »
Hi Ivan

If you need further details such as the GMK part numbers, drop me a PM and I'll send them over.

Show Image

Show Image

Damn ... the PCB screw in ones look awesome! Didn't some of the boards that came with Nixdorf blacks have those as well?

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #125 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 08:56:38 »
Hi Ivan

Show Image

Show Image

Damn ... the PCB screw in ones look awesome! Didn't some of the boards that came with Nixdorf blacks have those as well?
SkiData had them as well. They should be even more solid than the normal ones.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #126 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 08:58:53 »
Hi Ivan

Show Image

Show Image

SkiData had them as well. They should be even more solid than the normal ones.
Is it compatible with boards that support PCB mount?

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #127 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 09:17:36 »
According to Margon they do fit. Same holes
|||My other keyboards :
More
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #128 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 09:28:29 »
Please take this for what it's worth. I have some screw in PCB stabs pulled from old WYSE boards. Perhaps the design has now changed, but the footprint of those older screw in stabs was larger than the more modern snap-ins I have. I tried to use these stabs under a universal plate with the stab holes that are supposed to fit costar or plate mount cherry stabs, but the body of the screw-in stabs were too big to fit through the holes in the plate. The newer snap-in stabs I had did fit.

All I am saying is that if you are planning on running the screw-in type under a plate with the universal stab cutouts, it might be wise to make sure these fit. If your plate is meant to be used with PCB mount stabs like the Korean style, I don't think it would be an issue either way.

Has anyone else had this issue? Does anyone know if the newer screw-in PCB stabs have the same footprint as the snap-ins?
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #129 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 09:39:04 »
 :confused: I've been told that the bolt on ones haven't been made since the 80's

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #130 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 09:40:42 »
If they fit and are available for order then I will put my order in for some, never try that type.

The pcb, though it doesn't fit in 1800 case (and not as cool as well), it will be really cool and easier to make some tray alu housing and blockers for them :p
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline awong

• ★★★★★★★★★★★★
« Reply #131 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 09:53:46 »
I want some just to look at :))

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #132 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 10:26:01 »
If they fit and are available for order then I will put my order in for some, never try that type.

The pcb, though it doesn't fit in 1800 case (and not as cool as well), it will be really cool and easier to make some tray alu housing and blockers for them :p
It could be made into a really affordable keyboard if someone designs a case for it.
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #133 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 10:29:38 »

It could be made into a really affordable keyboard if someone designs a case for it.

yeah, could be done in Poker style since the pcb design doesn't need top case (it doesn't have gaps) so the case design must be simple, the matter is who to make tho :D
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline Vintage

« Reply #134 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 10:30:36 »
Ordered!  :p
CM QFR w/ MX Reds  | Logitech G900

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #135 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 10:33:10 »
As per JD's point earlier.  If I want more than 2KRO, I will need to hand wire diodes to the jumper holes and complete the matrix with wire (because there are no traces to the jumper holes).  Is this accurate?  Is there anything else I will have to do to get more than 2KRO?  I know I am also going to have to find a way to wire a teensy to this as well since there is no controller.

Offline mlng

« Reply #136 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 11:07:43 »
Quick question.  What spacebar size does the PCB take? (6.25 r or 7u)
Just trying to figure out which stabs to order for the PCB.

Apologies if this was mentioned elsewhere on the thread (didn't see it).

thanks

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #137 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 11:21:11 »
The PCB requires 6 units spacebar stabilizer... which isn't available here. Easy solution to this issue is if you need keycaps for it also to grab a G81-7000 or winkey 1800 as it will also come with the correct 6 units wire length.

It may be possible to get 4 or maybe even 5 kro if the firmware is done right without having to do any manual work on the PCB. There are a few G80 models and others that managed to do that without using diodes so it should be possible. But I am not a firmware expert.

As far as case. I agree that a simple tray type should be the cheapest. It could be done like Poker or even cheaper would probably to do it like the Neo where the pcb is essentially just mounted on top of an angled slab.
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 July 2014, 11:24:02 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #138 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 11:57:55 »
The PCB requires 6 units spacebar stabilizer... which isn't available here. Easy solution to this issue is if you need keycaps for it also to grab a G81-7000 or winkey 1800 as it will also come with the correct 6 units wire length.

It may be possible to get 4 or maybe even 5 kro if the firmware is done right without having to do any manual work on the PCB. There are a few G80 models and others that managed to do that without using diodes so it should be possible. But I am not a firmware expert.

As far as case. I agree that a simple tray type should be the cheapest. It could be done like Poker or even cheaper would probably to do it like the Neo where the pcb is essentially just mounted on top of an angled slab.

If I can figure out how to get better than 2KRO, I will be getting one of these.  I will be building my own minimal case for it.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #139 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 00:28:53 »
:confused: I've been told that the bolt on ones haven't been made since the 80's

If there are screw anchored PCB mount stabs and we can get them, I'm most definitely in for some.  Can we get an update to make sure they have them?

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #140 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 00:40:36 »
QWERTim, you have any ideas whether they still have the bolt mount made or available?

//a bit OT: so now GMK do the stab? I thought Cherry was still the one to make them.
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #141 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 07:57:38 »

If there are screw anchored PCB mount stabs and we can get them, I'm most definitely in for some.  Can we get an update to make sure they have them?

Ditto.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #142 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 07:58:19 »

Agreed, I'd like some sets just to check out.

Offline QWERTim

• QWERKeys
« Reply #143 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 08:12:57 »
QWERTim, you have any ideas whether they still have the bolt mount made or available?

//a bit OT: so now GMK do the stab? I thought Cherry was still the one to make them.

I'm sure they are available, however I'll leave it to Ivan to sort out for you guys - don't want to interfer!

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #144 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 10:14:24 »
ơ
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline eyesmiles

« Reply #145 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 14:44:04 »
My vote is for screw in PCB mount stabs if possible as well.

Offline TLSC.wipeOut

• "Who dares, wins"
« Reply #146 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 21:23:53 »
Ordered my stabs, please include with my Dolch order for combined shipping, thanks Ivan~!
OTD 456GT with Lubricated 68g Gold Spring MX Clears and GMK Dolch Keycap set

WTB: KMAC2 kit

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #147 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 23:14:06 »
Resubmitted. Added a couple more 2x and a pcb. Thank you, Ivan. Looking forward to this and my black on black set.
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline Flamingchook

• There are no dumb questions, only forbidden ones.
« Reply #148 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 04:50:57 »
resubmitted my order for a couple of PCB's and posting here so I can watch the thread and not miss any more changes  :thumb:

Great job as always Ivan.
MX: Filco Majestouch Metalic Blue 104-key w/ MX Brown, JD40 w/ MX Green, ErgoDox w/ MX Blue, GHPad w/ MX Blue. Topre: Realforce 87U 45g. BS: IBM Model M 52G9700 29-OCT-93
Soon™: GH60 w/ 62g MX Clear, [CTRL]ALT 60 w/ MX Green

Offline justnits

« Reply #149 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 01:03:47 »
ivan, is the 6.25u stab bar is as shown in the picture? as in there's a curve in the middle or is it straight like 7u's?
| | | |
Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 Gateron Red w/ Korean 55g gold lubed spring & custom LED | Ergodox with Aluminium top plate | IBM Model M SSK | GHPad | GON's Nerd TKL | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Blue
[Sold]Keycool 87 PBT White Cherry MX Blue | [Sold]ikbc F-104 Cherry MX Brown