Author Topic: [IC] GreenTea Round 2  (Read 25672 times)

Offline numiru

Re: [IC] GreenTea Round 2
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 16:21:57 »
Just got an email from Melissa. They can't do cherry legends on DSA caps unless we manage to raise $4500 :(
Any ideas on a nice font for this set?
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 July 2014, 18:48:57 by numiru »
KUL ES-87

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 23:31:09 »
On DSA the standard font is nice, I like it. It's like on Dolch DSA or Macross Skull Squadron.
Any other font would cost $4000 custom legend fee, only a large scale GB could cover that.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 July 2014, 23:33:40 by DanielT »
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline numiru

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 23:38:36 »
On DSA the standard font is nice, I like it. It's like on Dolch DSA or Macross Skull Squadron.
Any other font would cost $4000 custom legend fee, only a large scale GB could cover that.
I like the skull squadron ones, the font looks like Myriad Pro.
KUL ES-87

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 23:39:03 »
Just got an email from Melissa. They can't do cherry legends on DSA caps unless we manage to raise $4500 :(

Then go with SA as I filled out your form accordingly  8)

Can't have enough perfection here especially when it comes to the fantastic SA profile, but if you decide to go GMK then that would be another epic story.......

Offline numiru

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 23:41:13 »

Then go with SA as I filled out your form accordingly  8)

Can't have enough perfection here especially when it comes to the fantastic SA profile, but if you decide to go GMK then that would be another story.......
They can't do cherry legends on SA either :( I'm going to go with the myriad font if I can.
KUL ES-87

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 23:52:12 »
They can't do cherry legends on SA either :( I'm going to go with the myriad font if I can.

Couldn't care less about the font just choose the SA, you know you want to  8) .

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 09:34:06 »
I think the only real solution is to do Cherry profile  ;D
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline brybell

• Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 10:02:25 »

Couldn't care less about the font just choose the SA, you know you want to  8) .

Same :) or DSA.
"Did you ever wonder if the person in the puddle is real, and you're just a reflection of him?"
~ Calvin and Hobbes

Offline numiru

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 12:20:18 »
I would love to do cherry profile but I already promised SP that I would run GreenTea through them. They also already have all the marketing materials ready for the set. Depending on how successful the 2nd round is I may consider doing a 3rd round through GMK, but I would need Ivanovich's help in order to do this. He offered to have the alphas as an extension for the Dolch set which would work nicely.
KUL ES-87

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 12:38:00 »
I've always been a fan of the green/grey with white legends. So I'm definitely down with the set after the proposed changes. My personal colorway is actually the opposite (green modifiers with grey alphas) as that's what I currently have on my Topre board. But I was also limited by the RF 10th anniversary mods as they're in blue and only the alphas are grey.

For an MX set this looks great.

I would love to do cherry profile but I already promised SP that I would run GreenTea through them. They also already have all the marketing materials ready for the set. Depending on how successful the 2nd round is I may consider doing a 3rd round through GMK, but I would need Ivanovich's help in order to do this. He offered to have the alphas as an extension for the Dolch set which would work nicely.

If Ivan comes out with a full GMK green/white mods set, I'm going to start throwing cash at my computer screen.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 July 2014, 12:41:48 by Wildcard »

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 14:55:20 »

What's wrong with DCS exactly?  Apart from Elrick not liking it I mean.  It's very close to Cherry profile.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 15:01:30 »

What's wrong with DCS exactly?  Apart from Elrick not liking it I mean.  It's very close to Cherry profile.

Current zeitgeist is to hate on DCS. You can't be one of the cool kids if you even deign to acknowledge that DCS could be remotely acceptable.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 17:05:08 »

yeah, same feeling here. 'til last year it was DCS or nothing basically...

PS: I love all your avatars, darn!

Offline numiru

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 17:43:14 »

KUL ES-87

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 17:46:02 »
I would love to do cherry profile but I already promised SP that I would run GreenTea through them.

Was responding mainly to this. ^^

DCS is near-Cherry profile, and is available through SP.

Offline numiru

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 17:53:54 »
I would love to do cherry profile but I already promised SP that I would run GreenTea through them.

Was responding mainly to this. ^^

DCS is near-Cherry profile, and is available through SP.

I thought DCS was more like OEM profile (taller keycaps)? If not then that would be fantastic!
KUL ES-87

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 18:10:24 »
No, DCS is almost exactly the same height as Cherry/GMK. Except for a slightly more angular bottom row. But in any case not nearly as tall as most OEM.

In this guy's opinion, DSA are terrible for typing on. They might be okay for a POS keyboard, where you are only typing one key at a time, as in hitting a certain key for a certain item sold.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline numiru

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 18:22:37 »
No, DCS is almost exactly the same height as Cherry/GMK. Except for a slightly more angular bottom row. But in any case not nearly as tall as most OEM.

In this guy's opinion, DSA are terrible for typing on. They might be okay for a POS keyboard, where you are only typing one key at a time, as in hitting a certain key for a certain item sold.
Wow that's great to hear! I want to run it in DCS profile, but I'm afraid that people may not want to buy the set if it's not DSA... Seems to be "trendy" right now.
KUL ES-87

Offline myrddin

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 19:23:55 »
Just as a perspective thing - DCS just isn't an option for everyone.

Ergodox/dvorak/colemak are all going to have problems / not work with it. DSA or SA r3 are pretty much the best options there.

Personally, I use DSA on everything - I don't really like the extra height of SA, and I have to have a profile capable of doing Dvorak. I am probably not a prospective buyer though, just wanting to point out the benefits of non-DCS.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 July 2014, 19:27:22 by myrddin »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 19:42:42 »

Good luck with this Group Buy, I hope it happens for you lot  :thumb: .

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 20:04:23 »
Just as a perspective thing - DCS just isn't an option for everyone.

Ergodox/dvorak/colemak are all going to have problems / not work with it. DSA or SA r3 are pretty much the best options there.

Personally, I use DSA on everything - I don't really like the extra height of SA, and I have to have a profile capable of doing Dvorak. I am probably not a prospective buyer though, just wanting to point out the benefits of non-DCS.

That's just incorrect. I have seen several ErgoDoxen with DCS profile keycaps on them. You don't need crappy uniform profile keycaps on the ErgoDox or other keyboard, just because you might use a different layout than qwerty. I would think that using "flat" rows, in contrast to "contoured" rows would be the antithesis of ergonomic. A few extra keys in a "Dvorak/Colemak" kit could solve the wrong-row-profile issue. But in order to cater to a vocal minority who are using non-standard layouts or keyboards, the vast majority of buyers in a group buy are forced to submit to their will.

And the poll showing a huge margin in favor of DSA is flawed by a too small sample size. Most people who would be prospective buyers of a group buy set won't bother to vote in the IC, and thus you have the small, but vocal, minority setting the parameters.

Or, people are simply misinformed. They may think that DSA = PBT, which they have heard is better than ABS, so it must be so. For whatever the reason, there exists currently on Geekhack a "group mind" that believes that: 1. Ergo Clears are the only MX switches worth using, 2. PBT is superior in every way to ABS, and 3. DCS profile keycaps are terrible. None of these is true. All these are very subjective, and one can only decide what they like best by actually trying them, and ignoring the current "hype" when making their decision.

in memoriam

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 20:31:43 »
I used the so called Cherry (and later DCS) profile keys for decades. I pretty much prefer DSA, lowers the profile of the whole board. I don't think there's any objective advantage to "sculptured" caps, it's all in your mind :P BTW, Cherry did DSA way back when (AFAIK they are still available too !) and I still have my 1st keyboard from the late 80's in storage (halfway around the world..) w/ uni-profile SA caps (and serial interface.)
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 July 2014, 20:34:58 by Grendel »
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 20:55:32 »
I used the so called Cherry (and later DCS) profile keys for decades. I pretty much prefer DSA, lowers the profile of the whole board. I don't think there's any objective advantage to "sculptured" caps, it's all in your mind :P BTW, Cherry did DSA way back when (AFAIK they are still available too !) and I still have my 1st keyboard from the late 80's in storage (halfway around the world..) w/ uni-profile SA caps (and serial interface.)

Oh yeah, having uniform profile is definitely not a new thing. Companies have been doing things wrong for a long time. ;)

in memoriam

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 03:46:15 »
In my opinion this set looks the best in DCS profile with Cherry legends, it has a classic look, maybe the color scheme has something to do with that. This scheme will look great in any other profile, but it will loose the fine Cherry legends, I didn't knew that those were not available in DSA profile when I placed my vote.
What I want to see is this set become a reality, so important is to have the profile that will draw more buyers. Unfortunately it is impossible to make everybody happy, this is the reality.

As for the debate which profile is the best .... this will never end so we should not start all over again in this thread.

Offline daybreak365

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 11:28:34 »
I definitely love this color scheme, but I am not too thrilled with the look of the legends. If we stick with DCS, can we have legends more similar to the DSA sets such as Retro and Granite? I like to have simple-looking modifier keys. I would be completely down for a set symbol modifier keys similar Granite as well.

Offline numiru

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 11:42:45 »
I definitely love this color scheme, but I am not too thrilled with the look of the legends. If we stick with DCS, can we have legends more similar to the DSA sets such as Retro and Granite? I like to have simple-looking modifier keys. I would be completely down for a set symbol modifier keys similar Granite as well.
Cherry legends are the best ;D
KUL ES-87

Offline numiru

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:11:19 »
Alright everyone, I just finished drivers ed so I can get back to work on this set.
As of right now, there are 6 sets that you will be able to buy:

Base (Green keys)
Smallfry mods (For both layouts)
60% mods (With HHKB kit)
87% mods
Tsangan kit
Numpad

You can see mockups of these kits here!

I've got the illustrator files done for all of these kits, I just need to make sure the tea kanji legend will be possible with SP's manufacturing processes and see if there are any adjustments that need to be made.
KUL ES-87

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:18:52 »
Wow those look great! DCS with Cherry legends will look AWESOME for this set. I have to admit, I was a bit meh about this set at first, but now I'm so excite!

And you got the SmallFry kit exactly right! Great job!!

in memoriam

Offline numiru

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:37:07 »
Wow those look great! DCS with Cherry legends will look AWESOME for this set. I have to admit, I was a bit meh about this set at first, but now I'm so excite!

And you got the SmallFry kit exactly right! Great job!!

Thanks JD :) I think I need to add a spacebar-row delete key for the second Smallfry layout though.
KUL ES-87

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 22:33:38 »
I love the mockups, but I wish the 87% has an fn key to cover a 60% layout for flexibility.

Offline numiru

« Reply #80 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 22:49:45 »
I love the mockups, but I wish the 87% has an fn key to cover a 60% layout for flexibility.
I'll add that.
KUL ES-87

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 23:22:38 »
I'll add that.
Thank you!

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #82 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 02:45:09 »
Hey, I love how the set developed, it's just wicked cool :thumb:
This will look amazing in real life, I think you nailed it. Now you have to make sure that no other full set GB is running at the same time and I'm sure is a winner.
As far as I know, the Nuclear set is scheduled to be launched soon, I don't know about midnight, but I'd say if you launch it in ~1 month it would be ok.
After a SA set people will be interested in a cool DCS ;) And also my wallet will recover  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 July 2014, 02:53:43 by DanielT »

Offline Harrowed

• My wallet has been hacked
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 06:36:13 »

Not having this or having this option can be the deal breaker or the deal maker for some of us...  ;D

Ergodox MX Blues | Rosewill RK-9000

Offline numiru

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 09:17:39 »
Not having this or having this option can be the deal breaker or the deal maker for some of us...  ;D

ISO! Totally forgot about it. I'll add an ISO kit   ;)
KUL ES-87

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 11:37:19 »
So did you decide on DCS then?

The kanji modifiers really make this set, I hope they turn out well.  Excited for this one. :)

Offline numiru

« Reply #86 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 11:55:48 »

The kanji modifiers really make this set, I hope they turn out well.  Excited for this one. :)
Yeah DCS, I'm in love with Cherry legends
KUL ES-87

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 11:56:39 »

Yeah DCS, I'm in love with Cherry legends

This set is so full of win now. :thumb:

in memoriam

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 13:01:06 »
I thought I was done with DCS after falling in love with SA, but I don't think I can resist this set. Such a great looking design.

Offline numiru

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 13:11:52 »
I thought I was done with DCS after falling in love with SA, but I don't think I can resist this set. Such a great looking design.
Thanks Mashby :)
KUL ES-87

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #90 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 13:56:01 »
I was way on holiday and missed the form for this IC! I really want this set! I think it's set to become a classic colourway, something like Dolch. Very calming and understated while still not bland or boring. Love it.

I'm happy with DCS, but would totally LOVE GMK Cherry thick doubleshots.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Reckthor

• PC Stuff
« Reply #91 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 18:26:48 »
Yes! Loving this set. Glad to see it in DCS

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 06:19:31 »

It was always DCS to begin with......  just go check the postponed section of the "Green Tea Set" at PMK.  Where do these people come from for Christ sake  ??? ?

Offline Reckthor

• PC Stuff
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 07:38:31 »

It was always DCS to begin with......  just go check the postponed section of the "Green Tea Set" at PMK.  Where do these people come from for Christ sake  ??? ?

Thank you for the info.
But why all the lip?

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 23:04:27 »

Thank you for the info.
But why all the lip?

He can't help it, best to just ignore him. :thumb:

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 02:54:14 »

Thank you for the info.
But why all the lip?

It's okay.

He comes from the land down under, where women glow and men plunder...

Just smile and give him a Vegemite sandwich  ;)

It's hard to find the best timing for launching this, but the first attempt did come at a bad time, with so many other good sets launched just before, so people didn't have much left for new sets after ordering the others. For instance, I had just ordered Ivan's GMK Dolch and my wallet was still in shock.

This set is too good to give up on, and I reckon it'll reach MOQ next time round. It's looking really complete and ready for launch now and I think the timing is okay. Or wait until after the Nuclear set GB is complete?

This will be my third DCS set with Cherry legends :D
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline brybell

• Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 03:36:47 »
dcs :( thought dsa was majority. oh well pass i guess
"Did you ever wonder if the person in the puddle is real, and you're just a reflection of him?"
~ Calvin and Hobbes

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #97 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 05:26:52 »
I'd say let's wait till after the Nuclear GB, otherwise the 2 of them would cannibalize each other  >:D Also August is not a good time, a lot of people is up on holidays, mid September sounds like a good plan (hearing the voice of my wallet :P ) ;)

Offline myrddin

« Reply #98 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 06:07:54 »
It failed already as dcs, you put up a poll, and only 15% voted for dcs - what have you changed so dramatically that will make it not fail this time? O.o

Offline Zentaaa

• Safe Bois
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 06:16:34 »
Cherrrrrrry legends <3