Author Topic: Custom Programmable LH Gaming Pad  (Read 11884 times)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Custom Programmable LH Gaming Pad
« on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 15:09:00 »
This might be interesting only to me, but I have found when I play Keyboard and Mouse games that I prefer to use the inverted-T arrow keys, but if I do, the other keys I need are way over by the WASD group.

Also, in order to use the arrow cluster, I have to slide a TKL keyboard over to the left on my desk.  And that makes finding the other keys I need even harder.

Plus, some games expect the space bar and enter key to be used for things like jump and fire, so my left hand jumps all over the dang place.

I was planning to (and may still) build a LH Ergodox gaming pad like the one DorkVader built, but so far I haven't found a PCB.  Plus, even if I do, the arrow cluster will not be in the familiar inverted-T shape.

So I designed a custom Programmable Left-Hand Gaming Pad.  The main attraction is a centered arrow cluster with empty space on both sides to make it easy to find.  Underneath are a pair of 2.0 keys for my pinky and thumb.  Those would be for (e.g.) jump and fire.

71474-0
Programmable Left-Hand Gaming Pad by samwisekoi

Above the arrow cluster are three rows of programmable keys.  Two rows would probably be plenty, but three makes this a standard 6x4 matrix for easy controller programming.  Also, they would be easy to fill with F1-F12 DSA or SA keycaps.  And with a set of SA/DSA keycaps, you could put whatever keys you wanted to match the game you were playing.  (Tab, Q, E, and R would work for some games/)

This is probably not for everyone.  But is it for anyone else here?

- Ron | samwisekoi

« Last Edit: Fri, 18 July 2014, 15:24:00 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline P3TC0CK

Re: Custom Programmable LH Gaming Pad
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 13:24:26 »
It's definitely a good idea but have you considered rethinking the placement of the non-movement keys? Maybe it's just me but I  bind action keys (duck, crouch, jump, etc) below WASD. I don't really like staggered keys so I'm definitely interest in something like this though.
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun
1. a small valve or faucet, as for draining off excess or waste material from the cylinder of a steam engine or an internal-combustion engine.

Offline lkong

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 14:00:24 »
make it ergonomic like logitech g13

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 18:12:15 »
I would probably jump on this specifically for games where I'd rather use arrows than wasd with my mouse.
Estimated cost?
It's going to fit numpad cases?

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 18:26:43 »
It might be better if rows 2 and 3/4 (arrow cluster) were switched giving you a slightly easier to reach row below your fingers.
It would be easier to reach down one row with your fingers than reach up 3 rows.
If you want this to fit numpad cases, then disregard this, but it might be a good idea to have the thing a couple of rows wider so you can reach to the side (this would also give you pinky buttons)
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 14:15:26 »
So I have been moving along to create a prototype using my programmable Cherry G80-3700.  Here it is with Retro DSA keycaps (for now.)

samwisekoi gamepad v.1 prototype

JUMP is mapped to the spacebar and HIT is mapped to C for Metro Last Light.  I will change the HIT mapping as needed by individual games.

Arrow keys are mapped to WASD instead of the arrows, because this version of the G80-3700 does not do auto-repeat for non-Alpha keys.

I am going to do a couple of things with this version.

1) Validate the keymaps (by killing zombies and other game foe) and get some custom keycaps printed by WASD.

Gamepad v.1 keycaps by WASD Keyboards

2) Order a couple of GHPad PCBs from kinruan's group buy.  I will use these to make the next version(s), including MX Greens, Browns, and Blacks for the key zones.  (MX Greens for WASD, Blacks for Modifiers, and Browns for everything else.)  I may add another layer once I see how gameplay is with the pad.

I may want to move the 2x keycaps around a bit once I have blank PCBs to work with.  I will for sure move the Programing/Fn key up to the top row.

We shall see!

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 July 2014, 14:21:23 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 14:44:56 »
Some thoughts on LH gamepad layout...

I wanted the WASD/arrow cluster to have the traditional inverted T shape so I could find it automatically.  I will also use the dot in the 5 position (S or DOWN) as a further guide.  This is why I left the two positions above LEFT and RIGTH empty. 

Then I looked at what keys I would need to hit concurrently with  the direction keys.  For Metro at least, Shift means run, so I wanted to be able to hold it with my pinky while using the other three fingers to change direction.  So SHIFT will really be RUN, and will be mapped as needed for various games.  And since I use my left pinky for Shift_L anyhow, I put it on the left.

For my thumb (remember this is for the left hand) I wanted to be able to strike a couple of keys quickly while moving, and those are HIT (C in Metro) and JUMP (Spacebar in almost everything.)  Jump is at the bottom because that is where the spacebar is.  Also, in a melee I may need to smash the HIT key quickly and repeatedly, and the upper (numpad_plus) position is the easiest to strike with the thumb.

Control is crouch in Metro, and it has to be held while moving, so it is under the thumb as well.

QER and FGT are the lefthand keys I use in most games, and the obvious ones to keep on the gamepad.  I'll still have a keyboard in front of me if I need to hit the Z or something.

Up at the top are Escape in its natural position and the numbers 1-3.  For many games, Metro included, those are weapons selector keys.  In Trine they select the character to play.

For all of the Alpha re-maps I used the Alpha legend instead of words for a couple of reasons.  First, the actions are going to change between games.  Second, a sea of words will be harder to process visually during a battle.

One thing I am very much not sure about is the orientation of the 2x keycaps from a standard numpad.  It may turn out to be much easier to use the JUMP key (Spacebar) if it is rotated 90 degrees.  But I am not going to cut up a Cherry G80-3700 to experiment with that.  But once I game with this layout for a while, I may decide to mod one of the GHPad PCBs to rotate the JUMP key/Spacebar to horizontal.

The programming key is where it is because that is where Cherry put it.  With the GHPad, I may make that an Fn key to provide layers OR I may just use it as another remappable position.

All of this is in the shape of a ten-key pad because that is the shape of readily available matrix keyboard PCBs.  Like the G80-3700 and the GHPad.

I hope the above is coherent and possibly even helpful.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 09:39:54 »
In case anyone is reading this...

So I gamed with the pad a while last night, and it absolutely, positively, addressed my RSI problems on my left hand.  The brain instantly switched the inverted-T layout to my left hand, and pretty quickly I was able to touch type the E and R (use and reload) keys.  Reaching up for the 1, 2, & 3 keys to switch weapons was kind of slow, but I don't know if that was because of the large gap below the top row on the G80-3700.

The Cherry-placewd NumLock/programming key is absolutely in the wrong place, so that will be swapped once I get the GHPad PCBs.

I don't know yet about the 2x keys or the pinky.  My current thinking is that a fifth column would be good for pinky use, but that means a unique PCB, plate, case, etc.

The main objective was met: using a smaller gamepad with an inverted-T directional cluster removed left hand (and wrist) pain while gaming.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 14:52:10 »
This is the matrix layout I think would fit the left hand best for keyboard and mouse gaming:

72321-0
samwisekoi gamepad v.2

I've eliminated the high top row which is hard to reach anyhow, and compressed the essential keys into a 4x5 matrix that could be produced using a GHpad PCB.  It would also fit nicely to the left of a GH60 or a Poker.

However, the thumb and pinky can reach further, so I have added two columns, one on each side.  These enable the replication of a "normal" mod column and put the 1, 2, and 3 keys within easy reach when you need to whip out the shotgun for some zombie blasting in close quarters.

I will continue to evolve the prototype of v.1, and will start on v.2  Real Soon Now.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 11:21:35 »
This is the matrix layout I think would fit the left hand best for keyboard and mouse gaming:

(Attachment Link)
samwisekoi gamepad v.2

I've eliminated the high top row which is hard to reach anyhow, and compressed the essential keys into a 4x5 matrix that could be produced using a GHpad PCB.  It would also fit nicely to the left of a GH60 or a Poker.

However, the thumb and pinky can reach further, so I have added two columns, one on each side.  These enable the replication of a "normal" mod column and put the 1, 2, and 3 keys within easy reach when you need to whip out the shotgun for some zombie blasting in close quarters.

I will continue to evolve the prototype of v.1, and will start on v.2  Real Soon Now.

- Ron | samwisekoi

If you want my input, I could still hit a 2x located below the space and m6 with my thumb (and maybe something below m7)... however I don't know if that would be space efficient.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 12:35:05 »
If you want my input, I could still hit a 2x located below the space and m6 with my thumb (and maybe something below m7)... however I don't know if that would be space efficient.

Could be done.  This design only uses 5 of 6 rows on a GHpad PCB, so instead of trimming the PCB, it could be extended below the bottom of the design shown.

Personally, my RSI issue is with my thumbs, so stretching them further wasn't in the cards.  But it could work for you and others without changing the design.

I am doing some CAD work on plates, so I'll do a couple with an extra row above or below.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 12:36:43 »

Could be done.  This design only uses 5 of 6 rows on a GHpad PCB, so instead of trimming the PCB, it could be extended below the bottom of the design shown.

Personally, my RSI issue is with my thumbs, so stretching them further wasn't in the cards.  But it could work for you and others without changing the design.

I am doing some CAD work on plates, so I'll do a couple with an extra row above or below.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Sweet!  :thumb:
I am definitely interested now that you have essentially given me everything I need in a gaming pad.
Looking forward to the results!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 12:40:45 »
Interesting! The layout you posted looks like a modified Orbweaver which I like. Also Metro Last Light is a lot of fun :D

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 12:47:43 »
What case would you use?
A standard numpad could work seeing how some people use angled doxes for the ultra ergonomic feel.

Also, what is your guess on when you could start up a groupbuy or something for these?

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 12:57:02 »
Sweet!  :thumb:
I am definitely interested now that you have essentially given me everything I need in a gaming pad.
Looking forward to the results!

Happy to help.

Interesting! The layout you posted looks like a modified Orbweaver which I like. Also Metro Last Light is a lot of fun :D

Hmmm.  Interesting.  I did all my testing in the firing range; I have yet to take this out into the tunnels.

What case would you use?
A standard numpad could work seeing how some people use angled doxes for the ultra ergonomic feel.

Also, what is your guess on when you could start up a groupbuy or something for these?

Cases?  We are not to the cases point OR the GB point yet.

But I am happy to see some interest.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 16:56:24 »
Looks like A4Tech X7-G100. Except infinitely better.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 19:48:01 »
It's too bad Genovation 682 are so expensive or it would be a perfect choice to save a lot of time. Grab that and a few of those snap on switch blockers... program it up, done.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 July 2014, 19:51:35 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 19:50:00 »
If it was me I would just grab a Genovation 682 and a few of those snap on switch blockers... program it up, done.

I like having more than 1x1 keys. I don't think my thumbs would have that kind of precision.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 19:52:53 »
There is always 2x1 keycaps if you want. Though with black switch that starts to get a bit heavy pressing 2 switch at once.

Offline P3TC0CK

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 05:33:16 »

(Attachment Link)
samwisekoi gamepad v.2

- Ron | samwisekoi

How about switching the placement of ctrl and caps lock? My keyboard has a function to switch the positions of those on my keyboard and I've found it much more comfortable to use my keyboard in that placement seeing as most games put the left ctrl as crouch.
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun
1. a small valve or faucet, as for draining off excess or waste material from the cylinder of a steam engine or an internal-combustion engine.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 08:41:50 »

(Attachment Link)
samwisekoi gamepad v.2

- Ron | samwisekoi

How about switching the placement of ctrl and caps lock? My keyboard has a function to switch the positions of those on my keyboard and I've found it much more comfortable to use my keyboard in that placement seeing as most games put the left ctrl as crouch.

This is a GHPad so you will be able to program it to do whatever you want.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 08:43:12 »
There is always 2x1 keycaps if you want. Though with black switch that starts to get a bit heavy pressing 2 switch at once.

Where does one find 2x1 keycaps that go over 2 switches? There are some keyboards that I would want to use these on.
(Still interested in this, I just want to use these for something else.)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 09:21:53 »

Where does one find 2x1 keycaps that go over 2 switches? There are some keyboards that I would want to use these on.
(Still interested in this, I just want to use these for something else.)
POS keyboards.

Offline regack

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 19:35:14 »
I didn't want to clutter the GHpad thread, since this is only sort of related to that, but I wanted to respond to the post that was over there.   I was working on this in December when I had more time, and so I never really finished:

There are a billion holes on this thing, because I wanted it to be able to be mounted on either the left or right side and support many possible configurations.

Code: [Select]
[x][x][x]   [ xx ][x]   [x][ xx ]    [x][ xx ]
[x][x][x]   [ xx ][x]   [x][ xx ]    [ xx ][x]
[size=78%]Why you would do that last one is beyond me, but it's theoretically possible.[/size]

So the other idea which I didn't quite get to was to add the drills hole guides and silkscreen so that the board could be trimmed down into a 1x5 or 2x5 configruation allowing additional possibilities:

[x][x]   [ xx ]   [x][x]    [x]
[x][x]   [ xx ]   [ xx ]    [x]

I was intending that this one board could be cut down to 2 * 1x5 strips, which would have pads on both edges, so both of the strips could be used.

Things I never got to:
-support for stabilizers
-adding helpful breakaway drill holes
-testing it or any other sort of careful review

I am unlikely to get back to it, but I can post the files here if you want to play with it.

Also,  relevant to this topic... I've been using this teensy powered thing I made a few years ago.  Now, I never liked WASD, and the arrow cluster was too far away from things, so I played on the numpad. 

More

I almost never use the ones with the 'F' keys on the right, and the gap between the 'esc' row and the rest was someplace to slot the teensy.  I find the pinky keys to be a bit awkward so for the gen 2 I introduced a column stagger... only problem is I killed my teensy and don't want to buy a new one :s, so I still haven't really used it.

More

Instead I made a design for gen3 which has the atmega on board

More
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 July 2014, 20:14:21 by regack »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 22:33:36 »
Very cool project here, Ron.  I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops over time.  I could see myself wanting to build one of these some day.  :)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 09:13:02 »
I didn't want to clutter the GHpad thread, since this is only sort of related to that, but I wanted to respond to the post that was over there.   I was working on this in December when I had more time, and so I never really finished:
More

Show Image

There are a billion holes on this thing, because I wanted it to be able to be mounted on either the left or right side and support many possible configurations.

[size=78%]Why you would do that last one is beyond me, but it's theoretically possible.[/size]

So the other idea which I didn't quite get to was to add the drills hole guides and silkscreen so that the board could be trimmed down into a 1x5 or 2x5 configruation allowing additional possibilities:

I was intending that this one board could be cut down to 2 * 1x5 strips, which would have pads on both edges, so both of the strips could be used.

Things I never got to:
-support for stabilizers
-adding helpful breakaway drill holes
-testing it or any other sort of careful review

I am unlikely to get back to it, but I can post the files here if you want to play with it.

Also,  relevant to this topic... I've been using this teensy powered thing I made a few years ago.  Now, I never liked WASD, and the arrow cluster was too far away from things, so I played on the numpad. 

More
Show Image

I almost never use the ones with the 'F' keys on the right, and the gap between the 'esc' row and the rest was someplace to slot the teensy.  I find the pinky keys to be a bit awkward so for the gen 2 I introduced a column stagger... only problem is I killed my teensy and don't want to buy a new one :s, so I still haven't really used it.

More
Show Image

Instead I made a design for gen3 which has the atmega on board

More
Show Image

Thanks very much for the input!  And I am glad to see the work you've already done.  (Also, your plate-cased gaming pad was the inspiration for my v.2 layout!)

Here is a slice of the PCB design a few sub-revs back.  LED traces aren't there yet, but switch positions, stabilizer mounts, and a cut line for 5/6 are all there, making it a good view for illustration.  Also note that I've tried to follow the GHpad layout conventions re diodes and row/columns paths, etc.

72658-0
GH Finger PCB design checkpoint by samwisekoi

I initially was working on a finger PCB design for experiments with Ergo designs, where I wanted to be able to radially connect five or seven of these in various patterns and try them out.  So the use as a GHpad extension is an outgrowth of an existing concept.

But nevertheless, your various designs look interesting.  And as you know from the GHpad project, the number of special layouts individuals want is limitless!

That is why (if possible) I'd like to use the existing GHpad PCB as the core, and provide expansion capability in small increments.  Your expansion matrix PCB shows a ribbon connector carrying multiple columns -- are there mating pads for those columns on the GHpad as it ended up?  If not, can I assume that pins 20 and 21 can be used to extend the matrix by at least two columns using the ribbon connections that are on the final GHpad PCB?

Thanks again for posting, and I too shall stop polluting the GHpad thread.  Your designs there as well as the ones you've posted here are terrific!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline regack

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 10:49:45 »
It looks like I can connect to Pin 20 and 21 here:

(Attachment Link)
Closeup of GHpad v0.8 by regack

P20 and 21 really just connect over to the pads for the MCP and don't go anywhere useful... but what you could do is repurpose the PB3 (MISO), PB2 (MOSI) & PB1 (SCK) pins from the pads where you could connect an ISP between S3 and S8, they're just as not conveniently located at the edge of the pcb.    Silkscreen for those 6 pads is on the front of the PCB. 

The rows/columns are indeed brought out to pads on the left side of the GHpad PCB, but there aren't any extras over there to use as the core for that extension.  I was planning to use that extension with something like the SmallFry 40%, which has ALL extra pins brought out to the edge for use.    I started down a bunch of paths, but never came around to this.  It's a good idea, so if I get a chance I'll try to update the GHpad and bring out more of the unused pins.
Now, in the current iteration, using the row pads along with the 3 from the ISP pads, I suppose that should be able to get you 3 extra columns.  I haven't ever tried using any of them though.  I had a bunch of plans to test things, but I really haven't been here or done anything in 7 months...
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 July 2014, 11:07:43 by regack »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 09:25:26 »
Regack,

Thanks!  Those pads will do just fine, and they are certainly close enough to just have a couple wires on a ribbon be a pinch longer to reach.

OK, I am going to finish a PCB design based on that input.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline aicrono

• A Touching Experience
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 11:40:17 »
I have a spare Genovation 683-U I am willing to donate if you/anyone wants to test things out/hack it/take it apart/etc. Its brand new in its smashed up box. I assure you, it still works great. I just can't stand the 2KRO and non repeating keys.

http://www.amazon.com/Global-Marketing-Genovation-Keyprogrammable-683-U/dp/B005DBD76U

I'm glad this is becoming a thing because my plan to make a left handed ergodox was so close to becoming a thing but I can't justify spending the $2-300+ on it.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 11:52:58 »
I have a spare Genovation 683-U I am willing to donate if you/anyone wants to test things out/hack it/take it apart/etc. Its brand new in its smashed up box. I assure you, it still works great. I just can't stand the 2KRO and non repeating keys.

http://www.amazon.com/Global-Marketing-Genovation-Keyprogrammable-683-U/dp/B005DBD76U

I'm glad this is becoming a thing because my plan to make a left handed ergodox was so close to becoming a thing but I can't justify spending the $2-300+ on it.

Glad others like the idea.

I agree with both of these:
 - "I just can't stand the 2KRO and non repeating keys."
 - "I can't justify spending the $2-300+ on it."

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline grantb3

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 10:23:14 »
Glad others like the idea.

I agree with both of these:
 - "I just can't stand the 2KRO and non repeating keys."
 - "I can't justify spending the $2-300+ on it."

- Ron | samwisekoi

The 683 can easily be set to repeat using the programming software, or you can edit the CKD file in Notepad if that's your thing. You can also change the rollover there (but not in the software) if memory serves.  The last versions of 683 has diode-per-key unlike some of the earlier versions. Anyway it's been replaced by the CP24 (and CP48) which are also diode-per-key.