Author Topic: What motivated you to try a mechanical keyboard?  (Read 4384 times)

Offline 1391406

What motivated you to try a mechanical keyboard?
« on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 18:40:24 »
Up until a few years ago, I never really gave keyboards a second thought. I was totally ignorant of switch types. It wasn't until I stumbled across a YouTube video of a guy using a board with Cherry Blues that I had any motivation to try a mechanical keyboard. For me, I liked the way they looked and sounded, but then that's all I had to go on at the time. It wasn't long before I discovered I was drawn to the look and feel of vintage boards, specifically terminal types(which is why I use an IBM F-122).

What was your motivation for trying one?
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline Kraksx

Re: What motivated you to try a mechanical keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 18:51:10 »
Just being on a gaming forum and seeing these gorgeous keyboards when people posted their setups.

Poker II

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 18:55:15 »
Saw someone post about their switch from a Logitech G15 to Das Ultimate. I also had a G15 and figured it could be time for an upgrade (I never used the screen much). I loved the way the blank keycaps looked and heard in the comments that it felt/sounded great. Did a lot of research and found this site.

Got a WASD v2 with mostly blanks, then moved onto the gorgeous HHKB. I still need to get some new caps for the WASD at work...

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 18:58:04 »
My friend giving me flak about my logitech g19, and me eventually realizing I'd rather have the beautiful click of mx greens than mush
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 19:09:01 »
 I went through 4 or 5 non-mechanical boards very quickly and I ran across a blank poker x with reds on another forum and bought a mechanical that had some quality issues then came here and started my journey.

Wanting to have the 'best' keyboard was also a motivation, I had already upgraded my mouse and since I use a mouse and keyboard all day it was only the next step.

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 19:10:28 »
While I was building my PC and doing research on parts I came across some forum topics on mechanicals. They seemed interesting and I figured since I was buying really nice parts for the rest of the build that the keyboard should be no exception. It wasn't until a couple of months after I got my first mech (my QFR) that I found out that there were whole communities dedicated to them. Once I discovered all of the possibilities for variety and customization I haven't looked back.
'91 Model M SSK | NerD 60 (MX Greens) | Realforce 87U 55g | Winkeyless B.87 (MX Greens) | Monarch Matias Custom | HHKB | Duck Octagon (67g Zealios)

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 19:34:16 »
A friend handed me over an authentic Buckling spring IBM M and asked me if I remembered those.

One thing lead to another... See my sig for the rest of the story :-)
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 21:33:09 »
I was ignorant about the different types of keyboard switches (rubber dome vs. mechanical), but remember using an IBM Model F XT on the IBM PC years ago.  After reading articles about the Model M, Model F and various forums, it got my juices flowing.  About 2 months ago, I picked up a couple Model M's on Craigslist (sold one and kept the other).  I decided to get a Model F XT to relive the fond memories of days past typing away on that awesome keyboard.  I do like my Apple Pro Keyboards despite that they are rubber dome. 

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 21:39:39 »
I got the idea to try them when I started researching ergonomics after some hand pain, then I got to try that 710 recently; it was life affirming xD

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 21:56:16 »
I have always been picky about the feel of my keyboards. Some rubber dome keyboards were better than others.
It was the prospect of mod'ing that got me to this place. Posts on this board motivated me to buy a Cherry MX blue keyboard, which I bought cheap and found that it felt amazing.

Offline dante

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 21:59:25 »
I wanted to annoy my coworkers and my rubberdome wasn't up to the task.

Offline Coff_man

• hi.
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 22:07:17 »
I listened to multiple videos and streams of people with Mx blue switches in the background.
That is the switch that I started with. I was in it for the click.
now i use reds. because reasons.
-QFR w/ mx Blues
-Ducky 9008 G2 w/ mx Red (dyesub ptb/thin?)
-Choc mini w/ mx Black

Offline apathy3cs

• Glorious Leader
  • その目だれの目?
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 22:19:56 »
I always figured I'd buy a gaming keyboard at some point, but was never getting around to it, since it wasn't something I "needed" at the time.  Earlier this year though when I dropped an SSD into my main gaming rig though my Fang (Terrible terrible drivers) decided to stop working and wasn't recognized by Windows.  at that point I started looking for a replacement and bought an ergodox and been using it since.  I jumped on here after seeing the groupbuys where I can make more keyboards to replace my aging Saitek Eclipse I've had since 2006.

Is it bad that I like my 5 dollar BENQ over this Saitek??

Offline Txduck

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 23:27:19 »
I didn't know mechanical keyboards even existed. I just got so tired of replacing keyboards because the letter's kept wearing off of the keys. I started searching for quality alternatives and by chance I discovered mechanical keyboards.
Curiosity took over from there and eventually I happened across geekhack.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 23:56:26 »
Nothing. I one day was told to carryoff and deal with someone's old desktop setup. One of the things that I kept was the keyboard, merely because it was PS/2 and I wanted an extra. One day I decided to plug it in just because. It clicked. I never plugged my rubberdome back in again. It turned out to have Acer switches and I used it alone for at least 3 years without looking up anything else.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 00:06:38 »
Bought a laptop for gaming, terrible decision with limited upgrade options and that chiclet keyboard. Decided to splurge on a keyboard. Bought a shine III and have been poor ever since.
sell out and eat ass

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 03:32:23 »
I learned a lot of my programming skills using a NEC APC-H4100E keyboard.  Many years ago I got rid of it.

Fast forward many years, and while doing releases at work I noticed that the build PC had a nice keyboard on it, but didn't really think much about it.

Fast forward another couple of years, and a build PC upgrade or two, and we had a clear out of old hardware, including a bunch of keyboards.  One had been under someone's desk and used as a footrest for several years, but had clicky switches.  It turned out to be an NCE APC-H4100E!  With the left arrow switch kicked off, although still there (in many parts).

I rescued it, cleaned it, and for a short while relived the joy of the olden mechanical keyboard.

Then I found Geekhack while attempting to repair or replace the broken switch.

One thing led to another, and I ended up buying my first "modern" mechanical keyboard - a Ducky Shine (version 1) with MX blues, which at the time seemed to most closely reproduce the effect of typing on the old APC-H4100E that I enjoyed so much back in the day.

Now I have a small collection of keyboards with various switch types - and only a couple more on my wish list.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Enigma

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 04:36:27 »
I saw a bunch of mechanical keyboards around on various forums and reddit and the like, but they were all Razers and the like. Frankly, I couldn't afford to buy something like that and I wasn't aware that there were cheaper options. Trying my friend's mech made me want one, but it wasn't until I saw one of matt3o's custom builds and realized that I could make one myself that I managed to get one.  :D

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 08:12:01 »
I was picky about laptop keyboards and it eventually affected my choice of external keyboards as well, but I couldn't find one with a 75% (or at least standard full-size) ANSI layout, good quiet scissor switches and solid non-glossy case. I somehow knew there was MS Natural, BWU, SS 6Gv2, Leopold and maybe IBM Model M—and I knew there were people using vintage keyboards. I started to hoard old stuff too, because the new stuff I found in computer stores was disappointing.

The very first five kinds of switches I tried were complicated white Alps, Cherry MY, Amstrad linear spring-over-membrane, Cherry MX Black and finally Cherry MX Red, the first one that I really enjoyed.

Surprisingly enough, I'm back to where I started, after having tried dozens of various good keyboards with all kinds of switches *and* layouts. However, I can type on anything, unlike when I started with keyboards. Most time is spent on Cherry MX Black or scissor switches and more importantly, a custom matrix layout.

Offline divito

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 09:49:29 »
Well my initial usage of a mechanical without my knowledge of it being so, was just simply being around back in the day with IBM Model Ms. My foray into the more current generation came by way of a streamer who used his Das for StarCraft 2. My ASMR brought me to purchase my first clicky goddess, re-discover GeekHack, and become subject to this wonderful forum, more keyboards, key caps and infinite wallet hack.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 09:53:45 »
I hoped I could save money by buying the cheapest possible mechanical keyboard and having it last forever simply by virtue of being mechanical.

It didn't work.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 10:59:12 »
i needed something else to throw money at................
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 11:56:28 »
was digging around in the attic, and I found an IBM PS/2 we had that I remember playing snake and gorrilas on as a kid. I hated the KB that came with our newer W95 packard bell. I took the KB when I went to college and have never looked back.

Much later on, when I had a job, I looked into mechanical KBs more.

Offline osi

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 12:00:19 »
Haphazardly typed on a filco MX brown. My friend said geekhack.org

That's all it took. =)

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 13:29:12 »
One time (like one and a half years back) I was in bed and decided to watch some random streams on Twitch.tv on my iPad. I got stuck on a WoW stream from Reckful and he was using a Noppoo Choc Mini with reds. He was very entertaining and I stuck around for a few hours and ended up following him.  After that I watched his stream everyday even though I wasn't interested in WoW AT ALL, but he was just so entertaining and always had good music in the background.

One thing I noticed was the keyboard he was using. I couldn't see or hear it properly when I was watching on my iPad but noticed it when I started watching him regularly. I got very interested in it, so interested that one day I decided to buy my own compact mechanical keyboard with mx reds. I saw the exact same keyboard he had on german Amazon but I was concerned about the layout since it only came in ANSI. Back then this seemed like a problem for me since I didn't know how it would work with a german layout or if I could adapt to it, so I ended up buying a Quickfire Rapid with german ISO layout and red switches.

From there on I got more and more interested and somehow went deeper into "the game" and now I am here, eagerly waiting to get some korean customs and to get some soldering work done!
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 July 2014, 13:30:58 by Fnzzy »

Offline onishima

• supra omnia ludere
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 21:13:08 »
I figured I spend hours on keyboards at work and at home, so I might as well give my fingers a nice luxurious ride. Same reason I have nice shoes and a nice mattress - the things I spend the most time with!

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 08:50:19 »
I hoped I could save money by buying the cheapest possible mechanical keyboard and having it last forever simply by virtue of being mechanical.

It didn't work.

LoL - Priceless
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 08:21:35 »
The first keyboard I can remember was a mechanical - though I don't recall what type of switch.  Only that it was basically a Model M clone, but with a 'big ass enter' key and an XT interface (the PC was a clone of an IBM as well).

Don't remember exactly when we got rid of that keyboard - but I can pretty much only remember rubber domes since.  It wasn't until a few years ago that I was reminded of mechanical keyboards on a different forum.  That reminder is what lead me here.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline ficklampa

• My photography portfolio
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 08:24:03 »
I was sick and tired of rubber domes always loosing it's feeling after a few months use, well often depended on the rubber dome of ourse. Also I started noticing all the fun keycaps for Cherry-switches, so I decided I should at least try it and see if I like it. So I picked up a Filco TKL with browns and haven't stopped using it ever since. Some keycaps needs to be replaced soon I think.
Filco TKL (mx browns) + Ducky PBT caps
Poker II (mx blues)
Keycool 22 key numpad (blue Kailh)

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 09:00:42 »
It was 1999 and I had recently moved to Nashville. I was trying to build up my IT consulting business having lost all my previous customers due to the move and I was working as a sub-contractor for an accounting technology firm.

One day, while working in the back, I came across a couple of boxes of "junk" that they had. I noticed an older keyboard sticking out of the box and reached over tapped on a few keys. It sounded magical. Turns out that it was a Model M.

I didn't know anything about mechanical keyboards, or what it was that made the keyboard sound and feel so awesome, but I loved it. I asked one of the guys what the story was on it. He said "Why? You want it?" I immediately said "YES!" and they let me take it. From their perspective, I was taking junk off their hands.

That Model M became my main keyboard at my home office for the next 7 years until I made the switch to the Mac in 1996. It took me a few years to make my way back to mechanical keyboards, but I eventually made it back:cool:

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 09:12:40 »
Me I was a gamer while in the Navy (still am primarily a gamer) and wanted a keyboard that wouldn't flake out after a few/six months.  Bought my blank Das.  Never did buy into the whole "for gamerz by gamerz" with the exception of my Naga (though I do use the thumb buttons very extensively).  After having the Das I wanted something different than the blank black caps and after about a week of pretty much all search topics leading me here I was hooked very quickly.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline ClarusWorks

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 14:20:42 »
Remembering the noisy but awesome keyboards that were on some 486 class PCs my school had when I was in the 2nd or 3rd grade.  They had bought new PCs to replace a bunch of PS/2 Model 30s but opted not to replace the keyboards.  The PCs were uninteresting generic beige boxes, the only thing I remembered about the keyboards were that they were huge, had no Windows keys, and were made by IBM.  Years later after having several cheaply made (but not always cheaply priced) rubberdome boards start acting up after a year or two of use (double letters, no letters, etc. on commonly used keys was the usual failure mode) I decided to do some reading about quality keyboards and discovered that the old indestructo keyboards I remembered from being a little kid were IBM Model Ms.

Offline suby4me

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 14:51:42 »
I can't really remember since its been a while.  I remember back in undergrad, I used to game on a saitek gaming keyboard (rubber domes). It worked quite well, and was one of the first back lit keyboards I had. It was my roommate that got into mechanical keyboards. He kept praising how awesome his Das keyboard MX blue were and that they were typing heaven for a programmer such as himself. I decided to go with a razer black widow for some reason. That keyboard worked really well, especially for mac. I was actually using that for a while, until I stumbled upon this place. I think one of the blue leds on the razer was dim and I was looking for a way to change it out. Then I started reading more threads about the various other vendors that existed. I decided to go with a Das keyboard mac version, mx blue. I had fun with that for a bit, but tragedy struck and it had to be cast aside due to coffee floods. Then I actually picked up the Das 4. It was nice, then I started reading about the poker II. Got one with MX reds to experiment with. Then plopped down a bit of cash for custom cables, pbt caps, tex case, and more... Then I read threads about topre... and well I'm typing on it now  :)) Not sure where I might go next, possibly nab a tester kit to mess with soon.
current: poker 2 | HHKB pro2, Novatouch | off: das keyboard 4 | Ducky 3 TKL | death by coffee das keyboard mac ver. | razer blackwidow | whitefox | corsair K70 RGB

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 16:37:30 »
It took me a few years to make my way back to mechanical keyboards, but I eventually made it back:cool:

That is exactly what I say to people. The rabbit whole goes deep. Very deep...

Offline mason

• have fun with her, ryan
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 23:30:43 »
For some reason I wanted a loud keyboard and started looking at mx blues. Next thing I know I have a Razer Blackwidow but that's gone now lol.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 23:32:30 »
For some reason I wanted a loud keyboard and started looking at mx blues. Next thing I know I have a Razer Blackwidow but that's gone now lol.

Loud?  You need Model M then!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 00:00:54 »

Loud?  You need Model M then!

With no rubber mat between the membrane and the backplate.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 00:03:04 »
I saw a 3D render of DSA Retro, and needed to know more.
If today had been a hippo, then you'd really have to worry about tomorrow.

Offline Shayde

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 00:42:38 »
About three years ago I got nostalgic for the old clicky keyboards I'd used many years before.  I wondered why keyboards didn't click any more.  That's when I learned about rubber dome keyboards, and that the old style keyboards were alive and well in the form of "mechanicals".

My current keyboard was one of those ones that had three different coloured backlights and, due to issues with a stalker, pretty much only used the computer in the dark using the keyboard's backlight as the only form of illumination for my work area.  Because I tended to usually use the red backlight, I decided I would get a mechanical with that colour of backlight.

I looked around the web everywhere but the only backlit mechanicals had blue backlighting - which I hated - though there was one in green.  But then I came across a limited edition Blackwidow that had red backlighting and, even better, was available in my country.

And that's how I was introduced to MX blues.

My addiction for mechanicals didn't kick in till a couple of years after that when I discovered the whole world of different switches, and lighting effects.

Now I've pretty much got a keyboard for every day of the month.  I might have a problem.
Collector-of-switches.  Cherry: red, brown, blue, black, grey (linear), green.  Alps: simp./comp. white, comp. blue, Matias.  NMB: white, black.  Futaba: Cherry stem.  Omron: yellow.  Topre: 45g  Various: Apple II+, TRS80 Model 1, C64, Acorn Electron, ZX81 (lol!).

Offline Demetrium

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 09:11:01 »
If I spend a lot of time with something I like to try out options instead of settling. Since I spend most of my life in front of PCs I try to always be testing out anything related from keyboards, monitors, mice, computer chairs...you name it. You never know what kind of small improvement you're going to find and how much the satisfaction of it will add up over the course of thousands of hours. Never settle!

Offline maatmouse

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 13:09:34 »
Remember what was so great about the old IBM style keyboards and what is so crap about rubber domes etc. Am old enough to remember the best buckling spring things.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 17:14:20 »
Remember what was so great about the old IBM style keyboards and what is so crap about rubber domes etc. Am old enough to remember the best buckling spring things.

Are you using a BS keyboard now?

Offline Wayne

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 03:22:40 »
I was wondering if there was a softer alternative to the laptop keys I was typing on.  I went for the lowest actuation force MX Reds, on the theory that if I could master these without bottoming out, I might minimize strain in my typing.

...even though I find them softer, I'm also not completely sure they are comparable; they feel quite different from the old laptop keyboard.

Being a vim user, I've found I enjoy typing in short bursts with little effort.  I haven't tried any other switches, though, so maybe someone can chime in if they've also found another switch to be good for this.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 05:39:04 »
Personally I've found red switches way too light.  I have fairly strong fingers, and prefer blacks and greens.

And buckling spring.

And Topre (although my HHKB is only 45g, which feels too light - I have a feeling I would get on quite well with 55g Topre).

Offline joshator

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 11:43:33 »
I used to use a cheap £5 wireless keyboard for everything on my laptop. After 2 months, the letter keys had already worn out, so I switched back to my laptop keyboard, where some keys eventually broke off. Upon searching for good quality keyboards, I found out about mechanical keyboards. So really, what made me buy one was how long they would last!

Offline Acknown3

• Not a keyboard addict
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 15:07:37 »
I actually bought my first by accident. I was looking up reviews on Youtube for gaming keyboards (I know, I know) and they were comparing the 6Gv2 to the Razer Blackwidow. Interestingly enough, of the three videos I watched from different people, none of them mentioned the keycap types.

I bought the 6Gv2 because I had an SS mouse and I loved it, but then the keycaps started to fade. As I looked for solutions online, I found that the keycaps were replaceable, but then I noticed how people had different colored switched beneath.

After that, I decided to buy a Filco Ninja TKL with reds since I liked the blacks but thought they were a little too heavy. Since then, I've purchased the Razer BW BF3 edition (on sale for $40 with blues), Rosewill with MX reds ($25 each due to pricing error), an IBM Model F, IBM Personal Wheelwriter, FC660M reds (I like reds), FC660C, and am currently thinking about getting an ergodox with blues.
FC660C gray dyesub, gummyrot clack
FC660M cherry reds, Triumph Adler, blue aluminum case
Filco TKL cherry reds, white side-printed PBT
IBM Model F XT

Offline docwlad

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 23:36:15 »
I had been using them all my life, actually. My dad has a bunch of old dell and IBM mechanical keyboards he's acquired over the years (and he's always said they're his favorite keyboards), and so whenever I needed a keyboard I just used one of them. Then I started building my own computers and wanted to strike out on my own and stuff, so I bought ****ty rubber-dome keyboards and convinced myself they were better.

But then I graduated from college and began life as a programmer, and figured I spend so much time using a keyboard I wouldn't mind spending some money to make it a good keyboard. Which lead me here, and I have since spent far more money than I thought I would... but at least I have a nice keyboard.

So... TLDR: I spend a lot of time using a keyboard, so I want it to be as good an experience as possible.

Offline Doyniish

• Good you
    • Power Hour Playlists
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 09:26:50 »
Pretty much what motivated me was seeing them in battle station setups. I thought they would magically make me a better programmer too but turns out mechs don't have that special power.

Offline omnigeek

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 00:19:48 »
I've been using clicky keyboards since the 1980s -- IBMs and Zeniths at first, then I tried an Omnikey and got hooked on those, and later Avants.  So I've never really used anything but mechanicals since IBM PCs came out.  Not sure if that helps to answer your question, but there you go  ;D
Northgate Omnikey Ultra rebuilt w/Matias clickies | Northgate Omnikey 102 | Avant Stellar | [/url]Visit the Typing Test and try!