Author Topic: HHKB Pro 2 - What's it's weight?  (Read 2600 times)

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
HHKB Pro 2 - What's it's weight?
« on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 19:10:40 »
I'm just curious, this is my second day with the keyboard and although it states that it's a 45g keyboard (various internet sources and what not), it doesn't feel as light, it feels closer to I don't know, 50g maybe 55g pushing it maybe?

Is this just because of how Topre keys feel and the keyboard itself?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 July 2014, 19:14:17 by Fragil1ty »
你搞砸了

Offline Kmynis

Re: HHKB Pro 2 - What's it's weight?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 19:30:54 »
I switched today back to Filco from HHKB and reds feel lighter than 45g topre. It's that initial topres resistance making the difference imho. 
HHKB Type-S
Filco TKL MX Red

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 19:32:29 »
I don't know. All I can say is that when I use a brown keyboard I feel the switches are too light and make lots of accidental keypresses. But with my 45g topre (HHKB) I do not have the issue.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 04:47:49 »
This post suggests that they are 65g.

And, if you must, the ripometer.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 July 2014, 04:49:51 by rowdy »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Polymer

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 09:33:46 »
There are two things that will make them seem heavier in comparison to a 45g MX..

First thing is, MX Reds, for example, are 45 at actuation...at startup they're a lot less..closer to 30g.  From there it ramps up to 45g at actuation which is actually halfway down.  At that point you have momentum as well..

Compare this to Topre which is "45g" to get over the bump which is all at the initial stage of pressing down they key. 

The second reason is, from what I can see, most "45g" Topre require closer to 50-55g to actually get over the initial bump...

It also depends on what keyboard you're using...To me there is a difference between 45g on a RF and 45g on a HHKB...sometimes the difference feels very obvious..some days less so...

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 22:48:14 »
a 55g topre is definitely a lot heavier than the HHKB Pro 2. I used to have a 55g one, but have a HHKB Pro 2 now. the HHKB is a bit heavier than MX Red as well, which I was using just before the HHKB.