Author Topic: Anyone have any insight on building adjustable desks from scratch?  (Read 4256 times)

Offline Hundrakia

I've become a touch obsessed with ergonomics, as I've decided I want my body to be functional, if and when I get old.
That being said, I've come to the conclusion that I would like to attempt to build myself a sit/stand desk, ideally with an electric lift with programmable height limits.

Any links, information, tips, help appreciated!

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Re: Anyone have any insight on building adjustable desks from scratch?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 10:45:33 »
These have been used. There are similar for $50-100 and there is a controller available. Some noise issues I'm not clear about, but this is the general idea I'm looking at.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330577681347?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120501209196?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 July 2014, 10:47:08 by Input Nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 14:10:56 »
These have been used. There are similar for $50-100 and there is a controller available. Some noise issues I'm not clear about, but this is the general idea I'm looking at.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330577681347?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120501209196?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

wow, I didn't know they made inexpensive actuators like these..

So many ideals going through my mind...... 440 pounds,,I'd need 2 of these. for a table..

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 14:17:11 »
The key is having a couple guides, maybe with bearings. I'm oddly thinking of raising/lowering and entire workstation. Something like 2 complete U/W shaped desk units mounted together.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 14:20:59 »
That is amazing! thank you

Offline lkong

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 16:20:40 »
look into 8020 alu basically handy man's lego.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 16:20:57 »
Yea, the actuators are the key part of the electric-adjustable desking.

I have a MASSIVE framework plan to have the entire one room office desking (something like 2 individual U and W shaped workstations) to be separately adjustable with multiple chair options: regular office chair, office chair with armrest mounted Split Kinesis, fully reclining chair for computing, tall drafting style chair, and standing options. Obviously this includes fully adjustable lighting, monitors, ergo placement of drawers, filing, reference, etc.

Yea, it's exhausting sometimes.

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 16:05:52 »
http://lorensprojects.blogspot.ca/2013/05/the-computer-desk.html
For anyone interested, wow is all I can say.
This is definitely giving me some ideas of what I'd like to do!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 18:16:26 »
i would definitely buy a desk frame with the motors or motor mounts already fabricated, then get a nice piece of hardwood and finish it yourself. i prefer to sit and walk to think, so i think i'm going to do something similar but without the motors with a galant frame from ikea. the real pain in the butt with those (of which i have a large large number of frames) is that the desk tops are really thin fiber board. a really nice piece of hardwood would make for an extremely nice desk for not much cost.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 18:29:04 »
Adjustable as in a sit/stand desk or something you want to adjust once and a while?
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 18:32:37 »
After struggling with various adjustable designs, I have finally decided it is best to keep things as simple as possible. For me, the best work surface is a single surface at ideal typing height. This also works well as a general work desk. No need for adjustable levels, just one stable work table with everything at the same height.

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 18:35:21 »
I've contemplate my sit/stand conundrum. I may just stand all of the things full time, so I could cheaply enough build a ridiculously personalized desk for all my needs. But at the expense of never sitting at it again.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 18:37:49 »
honestly, i think standing desks are highly overrated. the best way to keep your blood flow going is to take frequent breaks and actually move around during said breaks.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 18:53:26 »
I used to never sit, at work or home; I'd work on my feet all day, only lying on couches and beds. My recent bout with sitting inhumanely long hours has really shown me that it isn't just a bunch of bs. I notice the difference!

Offline spookymikal

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 17:54:14 »
What do you want to make this desk out of? I'm gonna assume wood because metal fabrication is expensive and takes a lot of equipment.

Well, if I were lookin' to make a wooden desk, first I'd learn everything I could about woodworking.

First, I'd Watch everything here for a brief primer. Then I'd build a few ****ty non adjustable desks. Then I'd build a few desks with adjustable components.

Then, when I'd earned enough levels in woodworking, I'd build a table base and attach the top via hinges on one side and on the other side have a crank mechanism that lifts the back. For the legs i'd have the legs be made of 2 pieces and drill holes every few cm in them with a drill press and use pegs to set their height.

But if you're going to all the trouble of building yourself a desk, why make it adjustable? Why not just build it the way you want it to be?

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 17:57:28 »
What do you want to make this desk out of? I'm gonna assume wood because metal fabrication is expensive and takes a lot of equipment.

Well, if I were lookin' to make a wooden desk, first I'd learn everything I could about woodworking.

First, I'd Watch everything here for a brief primer. Then I'd build a few ****ty non adjustable desks. Then I'd build a few desks with adjustable components.

Then, when I'd earned enough levels in woodworking, I'd build a table base and attach the top via hinges on one side and on the other side have a crank mechanism that lifts the back. For the legs i'd have the legs be made of 2 pieces and drill holes every few cm in them with a drill press and use pegs to set their height.

But if you're going to all the trouble of building yourself a desk, why make it adjustable? Why not just build it the way you want it to be?
I've honestly came to that very conclusion, why make it adjustable? I've since began planning a set height unit. I'll keep this thread posted

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 19:48:07 »
honestly, i think standing desks are highly overrated. the best way to keep your blood flow going is to take frequent breaks and actually move around during said breaks.
Have you ever used a standing or sit–stand desk for more than a few hours?

I think a sit-stand desk and an adjustable chair is really great, especially if you have people of different sizes who need to use it at different times.

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 20:43:47 »
Have you ever used a standing or sit–stand desk for more than a few hours?

I think a sit-stand desk and an adjustable chair is really great, especially if you have people of different sizes who need to use it at different times.

I've used standing height desks in most of my jobs. Most weren't at an ideal height, but I miss them.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 20:47:50 »
If you're not adjusting a lot and don't want to spend a lot for a linear actuator, you could use a non-precision lead screw

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 05:52:51 »
Any time one of these sit/debates comes up, I always say the same thing.  If you make a standing desk, it could be useful to get a stool you can sit when you get tired.  Then you have the best of both worlds.

As for any insight, the idea of buying the frame and get your own chunk of nice wood sounds like the best idea.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 13:38:52 »

I am "GG" that posted the question on NOV 24 in that thread. No answer has come forth :(

Any time one of these sit/debates comes up, I always say the same thing.  If you make a standing desk, it could be useful to get a stool you can sit when you get tired.  Then you have the best of both worlds.

The elevated office chair/drafting height stool-chairs are good because it causes your back/hips to be at a different angle, I've enjoyed switching from a standard chair, a kneeling chair, to a high chair/stool. Alternating seems to be the best overall thing you can do. Bodies are not meant to be stagnant.

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 15:09:21 »

I am "GG" that posted the question on NOV 24 in that thread. No answer has come forth :(

The elevated office chair/drafting height stool-chairs are good because it causes your back/hips to be at a different angle, I've enjoyed switching from a standard chair, a kneeling chair, to a high chair/stool. Alternating seems to be the best overall thing you can do. Bodies are not meant to be stagnant.

I was just in Jysk, staring at some standing height benches!

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 20:38:49 »
At some point, I believe I'll be using the modular design that I currently have, but converting to adjustable height. It will be very involved because of the configurability options, wrap around, extensions, etc. A bit of a nightmare. But I guess that's why I'm here on Geekwhack.

http://www.workspaces.com/home-office-furniture/curvilinear-office-furniture

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 21:13:03 »
At some point, I believe I'll be using the modular design that I currently have, but converting to adjustable height. It will be very involved because of the configurability options, wrap around, extensions, etc. A bit of a nightmare. But I guess that's why I'm here on Geekwhack.

I feel that any time spent put in to increasing our throughput and comfort in something that I deal with daily at least is time well spent. Like buying a high quality bed.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 21:16:01 »

I feel that any time spent put in to increasing our throughput and comfort in something that I deal with daily at least is time well spent. Like buying a high quality bed.

My first car: $800
My first mattress: $3,000

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 21:17:44 »

My first car: $800
My first mattress: $3,000

Always spend as much as you can afford on shoes and a mattress. You'll be spending a lot of time on your feet and 1/3 of your life on a mattress.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 21:24:09 »
Exactly. i don't skimp on comfortable/healthy footwear. Ang bedding? FUHGETABOUTIT