Author Topic: Careers involving computers?  (Read 7743 times)

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
Careers involving computers?
« on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 21:51:50 »
A few years ago I was like I want to learn how to code! I'll make so much money, but now I don't really wanna code, IT work? Manage servers? I don't know lol.

Offline awong

• ★★★★★★★★★★★★
Re: Careers involving computers?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 21:53:57 »
Hardware?

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 21:54:31 »
Coding is awesome, once you get really into it. But it's essentially art, and with art you need to understand your toolset before you can make your creations come to life. With that being said, there's always money to be made in troubleshooting and repairing computers.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 21:57:10 »
Coding is awesome, once you get really into it. But it's essentially art, and with art you need to understand your toolset before you can make your creations come to life. With that being said, there's always money to be made in troubleshooting and repairing computers.
I don't also don't really know where to start?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 22:00:32 »
A degree in something involving management information systems would be helpful. Pretty solid pay too
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 22:06:46 »
That's the biggest hurdle I think for a lot of people. I've learned countless different things, from some amazing sources but nothing at all really clicked until I started working on little cheesy projects. "How would I do this?" --I researched, until I had it sorted out (and admittedly went a little nuts). If you haven't checked out the Scratch programming thing, it's a fairly intuitive way to see how programs generally work, and it's balls fun. scratch.mit.edu

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 22:09:33 »
A degree in something involving management information systems would be helpful. Pretty solid pay too

IS is really the way to go. I'm terrible at Math, so that ruled out the IT track at my University for me. IS merges the business track with the IT track and is always going to have work for you. I can't recommend the program enough. (Note:ymmv)
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline dante

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 22:11:09 »
Just remember: Office Space wasn't a movie - it was a documentary.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 22:11:14 »

IS is really the way to go. I'm terrible at Math, so that ruled out the IT track at my University for me. IS merges the business track with the IT track and is always going to have work for you. I can't recommend the program enough. (Note:ymmv)
Yeah, after trig and calculus happened, I ruled out engineering, and am now set on something like this

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 22:47:05 »
I'll check out scratch.
Since I know there is a lot of math, I've been trying to get a little better at math, since the 3rd grade I haven't really understood any math.
It's all a little boggling to me.
It's hard for me to do mental math. Addition I can ok, but subtraction kinda is hard for me to picture in my head and actually solve it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 July 2014, 22:50:45 by HUNTERANGEL121 »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 22:52:47 »
Coding sucks, that's why I am looking for a producer's job. Not much else for options unless you are an artist.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 23:02:26 »
I'll check out scratch.
Since I know there is a lot of math, I've been trying to get a little better at math, since the 3rd grade I haven't really understood any math.
It's hard for me to do mental math. Addition I can ok, but subtraction kinda is hard for me to picture in my head and actually solve it.

I was fine up until Algebra. Math with letters makes absolutely no sense to me...for some reason though, I was really good at physics and chemistry. I think that's purely because I know why the numbers are going together. Practical math is a LOT easier for me than theoretical. My problem seems to be that I need to know WHY the numbers are going together, and my brain just will not wrap itself around the fact that at times, they just do.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 23:10:03 »
I'll check out scratch.

I was fine up until Algebra. Math with letters makes absolutely no sense to me...for some reason though, I was really good at physics and chemistry. I think that's purely because I know why the numbers are going together. Practical math is a LOT easier for me than theoretical. My problem seems to be that I need to know WHY the numbers are going together, and my brain just will not wrap itself around the fact that at times, they just do.
Almost failed algebra the 9th grade. Geometry was really easy. Kinda nervous about Algebra 2....
I'm more of a science kind of guy.
Marine science and Marine science II I aced, Bio I did fine in. AP environmental is easy so far in this summer project.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 23:13:12 »
I'll check out scratch.

Almost failed algebra the 9th grade. Geometry was really easy. Kinda nervous about Algebra 2....
Marine science and Marine science II I aced, Bio I did fine in. AP environmental is easy so far in this summer project.

I failed Algebra I and II in high school, but aced  geometry and all of my science classes. I found a way around the math credits I was missing with boat building. Now that was a fun class!

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 23:23:13 »
I'll check out scratch.

I failed Algebra I and II in high school, but aced  geometry and all of my science classes. I found a way around the math credits I was missing with boat building. Now that was a fun class!
I don't have any type of building classes in my school lol...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 23:25:04 »
Guys it's not ok to be bad at math..

That's like being bad at typing..

People used to get beat up in the real world for being physically weak..

That has changed.. you get beat up for being weak at MATH

Nearly every other developed country has students which speak math..

The only reason AMerica can hang in there is due to the large import of these guys..

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 23:31:03 »

Show Image

This isn't China. My Tiger Mom isn't going to cut my hands off because I don't know calculus. Besides, if a person had any sort of business acumen and drive towards success they'd realized long ago we carry calculators around in our pockets. And for everything else there's H&R Block. Anything after algebra 1 is pointless unless you wanna be an engineer or mathematician, which to be frank, I'd rather push an ice pick into my brain stem. Many folks simply hate math, and that's fine because those who really dig it do so with an intensity that makes up for me not giving a ****.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 23:37:15 »

Show Image

Nearly every other developed country has students which speak math..

The only reason AMerica can hang in there is due to the large import of these guys..
****. Better kick the bucket.

I just never understood math. I had tutors, went on a few youtube channels hoping it would help, I just never understood the concept of it.
I can't really do mental math, but games with an in game currency has kinda helped me lol
Like in planetside 2....
If I have 783 certification points and need 1,000 for a weapon, I sit here processing it for a bit, and then confuse the numbers for 271 instead of 217....

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 23:40:52 »
Haaahahaha my girlfriend works at H&R Block! She's a brain genius though, so whatevs. Udacity's College Algebra course goes from the very inane, almost too easy mathematics up to stuff that actually challenged me, after being out of school for ~8 years at the time. Check it out, it's fairly awesome.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 23:45:47 »
Haaahahaha my girlfriend works at H&R Block! She's a brain genius though, so whatevs. Udacity's College Algebra course goes from the very inane, almost too easy mathematics up to stuff that actually challenged me, after being out of school for ~8 years at the time. Check it out, it's fairly awesome.

That is a good start..

Don't be discouraged if learning math starts slow..

The ONLY reason, some kids look like they seem natural at it in school, (asians)  is because their parents beat it into them...  LITERALLY...

and the started REAL EARLY....

but older people learn faster,  so if you start today, you can catch up, because it's not like they learned that much when they were little.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 10:32:38 »

How is coding art?  I hear this a lot.

And Northwest Territories?  Really?
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 10:34:34 »
video games?
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 10:44:11 »

How is coding art?  I hear this a lot.

And Northwest Territories?  Really?

"an Art"   is just a commonly used to describe the Epitome of Refinement..

It's no different than saying   I Love Ramen Noodles,  they're the best Evar..

Is ramen noodles really the best ever? no... probably not,  but for emphasis, I will say they are..

Same with coding..  or anything else people like to do..

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 10:52:34 »
I'm not just bad at math, I'm downright horrible. Fractions befuddle me in a way that I can't even describe.  I went to college for Human Services (psychology). I had no business deciding a college major, and I never ended up getting my degree. I'm terrible with people. I have very little patience, and have been told I'm not all that great at being "nice". :rolleyes:

I work in IT professionally, and have for about the last 13 years.  I architect solutions, manage data centers, do some coding (wouldn't at all call myself proficient, but I get by with Google). I manage a good sized infrastructure, and I consider myself pretty good at what I do. Math isn't everything in IT. And there are lots of different roles in IT, that require lots of different skills. Heck, most of the technical people I work with loath to be part of IT because it is beneath their Awesome Hax0r Skillz.

My point is that being bad at one particular thing shouldn't stop someone from doing what they are interested in. I would say that creativity, along with work ethic and a genuine interest are far more important skills to have then being a math wiz. But don't get me wrong...being good at math would help, too.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 23:16:00 »
Don't get me started on fractions...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 23:20:42 »
Don't get me started on fractions...

Why?  Will you become fractious?

:))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 23:28:01 »
-_- Lol....

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 23:32:55 »
Yeah bro Northwest Territories. It's a bustling hub of, wait for it, money.

Offline iri

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 06:47:44 »
software development is hands down best profession on this planet.

and it is an art and not a science. sure, there is some science applied to it, but nobody reads the books anyway.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline osi

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 07:11:33 »

and it is an art and not a science. sure, there is some science applied to it, but nobody reads the books anyway.

Seconded this. Programmers get payed well while not necessarily having much experience.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 15:22:40 »

Why is it the best profession on the planet?
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline iri

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 03:54:58 »
because i said so.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 15:19:30 »
Just because you said so doesn't mean so.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 15:21:23 »
lol at the comments about math. I hated math in high school. Guess what I study now? Theoretical computer science... and most of it is actually some sort of math in a way. It has more or less nothing to do with high school math though.

There are two kinds of work in IT. You can maintain or fix systems, test stuff, write documentation, code, work in consulting, do audits. Each of it can be done on hardware, software, systems/networking, security level. That's a ton of very different (mostly engineering) jobs. Or you can design systems or do science.

And one of the best things you can do... become proficient in computer stuff *and* some unrelated field, like pharmacy, geology, engineering, anything.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 16:08:51 »

That was pretty much my most fav. job I've had. The pay was very solid at $11.76/hr.
---
I also enjoyed computer repair, and I got really good at it. I especially liked the aspect of diagnosing in it. I had to know the 5-7 vendors we supported really well. and it was a lot of fun. Sadly there's exactly no companies that need a person with these skills.
---
About art:

It's just most things: math / physics / keyboards / engineering. There is always an aesthetic aspect to it. I tend to focus on that aspect a lot, so it's easy for me to see it crop up everywhere.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 16:10:43 »

That was pretty much my most fav. job I've had. The pay was very solid at $11.76/hr.
---
I also enjoyed computer repair, and I got really good at it. I especially liked the aspect of diagnosing in it. I had to know the 5-7 vendors we supported really well. and it was a lot of fun. Sadly there's exactly no companies that need a person with these skills.
---
About art:

It's just most things: math / physics / keyboards / engineering. There is always an aesthetic aspect to it. I tend to focus on that aspect a lot, so it's easy for me to see it crop up everywhere.
Now that I think about it. Computer repair seems to be up my alley lol.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 18:51:17 »
Now that I think about it. Computer repair seems to be up my alley lol.
Yeah, t's great. I've repaired 4000 computers (conservative estimate) and most of the issues have been different. Even the same-repairs (apple iMac HDD recall) were fun. I spent some time figuring out how fast I could do it (with no mistakes) I got my time down to 9 HDD swaps an hour.

Diagnosing involves the brain, repair involes the hands, leaving your brain free to do more thinking. With some time, you can become extremely efficient.

Sadly, there's no want of it, so actually finding a job is usually with some mom&pop computer place. Doing repair work at an authorized service provider is hard to find.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 18:55:14 »
Most people now just buy a new computer instead of repairing it. Or just have the warranty do the work.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 19:12:30 »
Most people now just buy a new computer instead of repairing it. Or just have the warranty do the work.

Actually it's the opposite.  People who couldn't repair computers are dying off and the job market is being flooded with kids who came out of the womb holding a smartphone and want to do things related to computers.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 19:15:54 »

Actually it's the opposite.  People who couldn't repair computers are dying off and the job market is being flooded with kids who came out of the womb holding a smartphone and want to do things related to computers.
Doesn't mean all of em will know how to fix or build a PC.
It depends if they're in the Starbucks, uggs, twitter and need to have an iPhone group of people. I'm sure there are going to plenty of them who can build a PC and fix it. But also a lot who won't

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 19:50:36 »

It depends if they're in the Starbucks, uggs, twitter and need to have an iPhone group of people. I'm sure there are going to plenty of them who can build a PC and fix it. But also a lot who won't

I'd say in a few years.. probably every (GUY) at least, will know how to fix a damn PC..

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 19:51:57 »

I'd say in a few years.. probably every (GUY) at least, will know how to fix a damn PC..
I can see that happening lol.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 19:58:05 »

the moment women learns how to Fix their PCs...  that will be the end of the traditional Marriage..

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 19:59:03 »

the moment women learns how to Fix their PCs...  that will be the end of the traditional Marriage..
By then, would men know how to cook?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 20:00:27 »

Weird how all the best known chefs in the world are men....

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 20:00:35 »

lol beat the system, cook and pc wizard

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 20:38:25 »

And the beginning of happy marriages?   :))   In my experience, couples get annoyed when others ask questions that they think are silly.   :p

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 22:07:09 »

hahahahahhahaa...

Men are better at everything with the exception of having babies..

This HAS TO BE TRUE...

because nearly all women must devote a significant portion of their lives to child rearing...

It's not that women CAN"T be as good...  on average they just don't have the time..

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 22:08:41 »

hahahahahhahaa...

Men are better at everything with the exception of having babies..

This HAS TO BE TRUE...

because nearly all women must devote a significant portion of their lives to child rearing...

It's not that women CAN"T be as good...  on average they just don't have the time..
Can I bring into argument of salary?
There is one job that men don't make as much as women

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 22:10:32 »
Is it babysitting/nannying?