Author Topic: Careers involving computers?  (Read 7742 times)

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
Re: Careers involving computers?
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 22:11:12 »
No. It rhymes with a vegetable.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 22:12:05 »
Is it babysitting/nannying?

come on dudes.. do we really gotta discuss this..

I'm down.. but... recently I've been thinking about keeping it more sfw..

because I've noticed some people here are plane vulgar... (for no reason)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 22:12:23 »
No. It rhymes with a vegetable.

Table.  Waitress??

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 22:12:46 »

Sorry, what?

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 22:13:18 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 22:13:34 »

Sorry, what?

/esc

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 22:14:57 »
LOL, I understand now.  xD  And I understand why tp4 wants to stop the conversation.  Bahaha.  I'm so smart.  I misunderstood your quoted statements, tp.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 22:16:45 »
LOL, I understand now.  xD  And I understand why tp4 wants to stop the conversation.  Bahaha.  I'm so smart.  I misunderstood your quoted statements, tp.
😂
[Edit] I wonder what that looks likes on pc
[edit]
Oh nevermind.
It's a square...

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 09:42:54 »
Most people now just buy a new computer instead of repairing it. Or just have the warranty do the work.

Actually it's the opposite.  People who couldn't repair computers are dying off and the job market is being flooded with kids who came out of the womb holding a smartphone and want to do things related to computers.
Doesn't mean all of em will know how to fix or build a PC.
It depends if they're in the Starbucks, uggs, twitter and need to have an iPhone group of people. I'm sure there are going to plenty of them who can build a PC and fix it. But also a lot who won't

Yea, using your hands to repair a PC is a totally different ballgame than doing computer related tasks.  Tinkering/repairing/etc. with your hands is a different skill set than fixing code on a computer interface, for example.  Consumer goods, especially electronics, are so disposable these days that repairing them is economically inefficient.  You are better off spending your money investing in a new product rather than sinking funds into the repair of a soon-to-be obsolete electronic device.

Most people my age these days age are more apt to just buy something new rather than learn how to repair.  I'm 27, and I like to tinker with every mechanical thing I own, including cars, bikes, keyboards, chainsaws, and whatever else is laying around.  I like to know how things are put together, how they work, how they can break, how they can be fixed.

But I don't know too many people personally, if any, that have the same sort of interest in just taking stuff apart and putting it back together.  With the influx of disposable consumer goods, out went the serial tinkerer.  People just throw their hands up and scream helplessness, not allowing themselves to learn how to take care of the things they own.

To fix something, you have to be willing to take the time to learn a few things, understand what you are working and screw up a few times before you get the hang of it.  Patience and concentration are paramount.  Attention spans are so short, and the ability to put something down and move on to something new is so easy, what is the point of learning how to fix anything?
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 July 2014, 11:31:14 by prdlm2009 »
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 10:51:02 »
Most people now just buy a new computer instead of repairing it. Or just have the warranty do the work.

Actually it's the opposite.  People who couldn't repair computers are dying off and the job market is being flooded with kids who came out of the womb holding a smartphone and want to do things related to computers.
It depends if they're in the Starbucks, uggs, twitter and need to have an iPhone group of people. I'm sure there are going to plenty of them who can build a PC and fix it. But also a lot who won't

Yea, using your hands to repair a PC is a totally different ballgame than doing computer related tasks.  Tinkering/repairing/etc. with your hands is a different skill set than fixing code on a computer interface, for example.  Consumer goods, especially electronics, are so disposable these days that repairing them is economically inefficient.  You are better off spending your money investing in a new product rather than sinking funds into the repair of a soon-to-be obsolete electronic device.

Most people these days are more apt to just buy something new rather than learn how to repair.  I'm 27, and I like to tinker with every mechanical thing I own, including cars, bikes, keyboards, chainsaws, and whatever else is laying around.  I like to know how things are put together, how they work, how they can break, how they can be fixed.

But I don't know too many people personally, if any, that have the same sort of interest in just taking stuff apart and putting it back together.  With the influx of disposable consumer goods, out went the serial tinkerer.  People just throw their hands up and scream helplessness, not allowing themselves to learn how to take care of the things they own.

To fix something, you have to be willing to take the time to learn a few things, understand what you are working and screw up a few times before you get the hang of it.  Patience and concentration are paramount.  Attention spans are so short, and the ability to put something down and move on to something new is so easy, what is the point of learning how to fix anything?

AH! That is exactly correct man. I'm much of the same way.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 10:53:14 »

Most people these days are more apt to just buy something new rather than learn how to repair.  I'm 27, and I like to tinker with every mechanical thing I own, including cars, bikes, keyboards, chainsaws, and whatever else is laying around.  I like to know how things are put together, how they work, how they can break, how they can be fixed.

I find that this is one defining characteristic of many GHers.  Tinkering and a drive to learn are what drive us to this type of hobby, IMO.  :)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 11:14:24 »

That's why I was focusing on the diagnosing. Anyone can turn a screwdriver, and it's a more mechanical skill, but the diagnosing: that's what it's all about.

That said, I agree strongly! Goods are more disposable than repairable nowadays. I don't remember a time when it was otherwise, but I have some vintage electronics that includes a full BOM and PCB images so you can etch a new one and repopulate it should anything fail.

I think more expensive items (notebooks, tablets, phones) there will always be a market for repair, especially under warranty.

Now, why have we gone to a more disposable mindset? Partly it's because of the rapid pace of improvements and increases. Why pay to fix your consumer laptop if it's outdated by the end of the year? With new advancements coming out all the time, it doesn't make sense to maintain old equipment.

That doesn't apply to everything though. It's sad that they have gone this way, but most test equipment should be repaired. There's nothing my DMM does that 10-year old DMM's don't, they can last quite some time. I would like to see an increase of repairability especially in some market.

The other reason I think we have gone this way is because a disposable item is cheaper. Why would a consumer pay more for something that does the same (but is repairable). Why not just replace it when it's broken, that's much easier.

I think Hoffmanmyster put ti well: tinkering and a drive to learn. It's not a mindset that's too common, sadly.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 11:17:36 »

I find that this is one defining characteristic of many GHers.  Tinkering and a drive to learn are what drive us to this type of hobby, IMO.  :)

I am the same, and this is why I became an industrial design engineer as it turns out the type of inventor I wanted to be when I was a kid doesn't really exist and that was the closest thing to it. If the profession you want doesn't exist, create it. Start with the closest one and make decisions based on getting yourself your dream job.

I will give one word of warning though. A lot of my hobbies and work are the same. People told me that would be great, working with something you enjoy doing. There is however a risk that you will grow tired of it. Diversity might be good, and pursuing a career different enough from your hobby could be advisable.

OT: Most professions today are at least partly carried out at a computer, and the rest will follow in one way or another.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 11:21:40 »
I enjoy looking through the Bureau of Labor Statistics from time to time when considering possible career options.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/home.htm

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 11:26:51 »
I enjoy looking through the Bureau of Labor Statistics from time to time when considering possible career options.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/home.htm

Computer Network Architect just sounds cool.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 11:29:43 »
Some more career advice:

I can't recommend smaller companies enough. They are awesome.

Here are the reasons:
-Your work matters a lot, and will have a fairly large and immediate effect. You get to see the things you make come alive.
-Diverse tasks, there aren't enough people to be put on one repetitive task.
-Usually means more responsibilities, more importance and larger paycheck.
-Smaller usually means newer company, less well-developed and more room for larger improvements and innovation. Older companies are more conservative in my experience

Edit: By small, I mean 30-300, ie not the large corporation type and not the tiny risky startup kind.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 July 2014, 15:32:02 by damorgue »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 11:38:25 »
I work in the aerospace industry as a mechanical engineer. I use the computer a lot just because of the nature of work. What better way to organize information than to have the computer help? Beats carrying 5 blueprints and 2 books around. I think davkol nailed it on the head. I know a bit about computers and my degree is in engineering. Knowing both really helps because you're not handicapped. A lot of people come into the field not realizing how much we rely on computers and they're at a disadvantage.

I've unfortunately never worked for a smaller company so I can't offer any advise to go with or against damorgue. I will say that:

If the profession you want doesn't exist, create it. Start with the closest one and make decisions based on getting yourself your dream job.

I totally agree with this. I've never let anyone tell me I couldn't do something at work and I've put myself in a lot of cool positions because of this. If you want it, make it happen.

I will give one word of warning though. A lot of my hobbies and work are the same. People told me that would be great, working with something you enjoy doing. There is however a risk that you will grow tired of it. Diversity might be good, and pursuing a career different enough from your hobby could be advisable.

I also agree with this. It's good to be diverse. It's also the same reason I ususally refuse to do CAD work even though I know a lot about it. I don't want to carry my work home with me.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 11:41:01 »

Yea, I intended to mention that aspect of GHers.  Probably my favorite part of this place!
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 11:47:29 »
@prdlm2009, last year I took the coolest class at work. I was allowed to take apart and reassemble the major parts of engines found on Embrarer jets. The entire point of the class was to allow people to get their hands on parts and wrenches so they can *see* in person what the engine is like. Somehow I got stuck with a group of people from Finance who "didn't want to get too dirty". So two other guys and myself were taking this jet turbine engine apart and reassembling by ourselves while 5 other people watched us. It was awesome. I also managed to not break anything :D.

@hunterangel, if you like putting your hands on parts, working with your hands, and you're into modding keyboards, engineering might be right up your alley. I also didn't care for math too much but I suffered through it so I could continue doing really cool work.

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 11:51:58 »
music!

*shots implied discharged*
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 11:54:35 »

This is precisely why I decided to change majors from Electrical Engineering to Chemical Engineering (in addition to the fact that I discovered my love of chemistry after choosing EE).  I have always loved working with electronics and designing/modifying things.  I didn't want to get in a situation where I'd be doing the same thing at home as at work and get sick of it.  I am really happy with this decision, but at the same time I have crippled my hobby skills because I simply don't know a lot of the things that I would need to know to fully embrace my hobby.  So it's a double edged sword, in my experience.

Some more career advice:

Here are the reasons:
-Your work matters a lot, and will have a fairly large and immediate effect. You get to see the things you make come alive.
-Smaller usually means newer company, less well-developed and more room for larger improvements and innovation. Older companies are more conservative in my experience

I also agree with all of your points here, with a caution to be mindful of just how small the company is.  I've worked with a company that was 5 people, and my dad worked for a company that was 5 people.  The company ended up hitting a rough patch financially and he wasn't paid consistently for multiple months.  At the company I worked at, 3 of the employees did coding, with not much room for either horizontal or vertical movement within the company.  With such a tiny company, your options are pretty limited.

That said, at a more reasonably sized small company (my last job - 1500 or so people), it's much better and exactly what you described.  I had met the CEO as a co-op, I had many duties and responsibilities, and I was never bored.  I also knew basically everyone at the company, but not to the extent that I got sick of them.  It was a happy medium.

Then there is the advantage to a huge company, which is basically that they operate as multiple smaller companies.  If you want something totally new you just transfer to a new division, which works pretty well.

As always, YMMV, and I'm still fresh in the work force so my opinion may not be the most useful.  :)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 12:32:49 »
Also, startups. Listen to what Linus said about his work for Transmeta (at 45 minute mark)...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 12:37:08 »

Most people my age these days age are more apt to just buy something new rather than learn how to repair.  I'm 27, and I like to tinker with every mechanical thing I own, including cars, bikes, keyboards, chainsaws, and whatever else is laying around.  I like to know how things are put together, how they work, how they can break, how they can be fixed.

This is not due to any reason other than the artificial devaluing of the Chinese currency...

Without that... EVERYTHING would be at least 3x - 4x the price..   You can bet everyone will be trying to fix their $500 vacuum cleaner.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 15:30:54 »
Some more career advice:

Here are the reasons:

I also agree with all of your points here, with a caution to be mindful of just how small the company is.  I've worked with a company that was 5 people, and my dad worked for a company that was 5 people.  The company ended up hitting a rough patch financially and he wasn't paid consistently for multiple months.  At the company I worked at, 3 of the employees did coding, with not much room for either horizontal or vertical movement within the company.  With such a tiny company, your options are pretty limited.

That said, at a more reasonably sized small company (my last job - 1500 or so people), it's much better and exactly what you described.  I had met the CEO as a co-op, I had many duties and responsibilities, and I was never bored.  I also knew basically everyone at the company, but not to the extent that I got sick of them.  It was a happy medium.

Then there is the advantage to a huge company, which is basically that they operate as multiple smaller companies.  If you want something totally new you just transfer to a new division, which works pretty well.

As always, YMMV, and I'm still fresh in the work force so my opinion may not be the most useful.  :)

I am curious as how people feel regarding company size. The size I meant was about 50-200 employees. I don't have a statistical sample, but my personal estimates have been that the 30-300 people range would be ideal. Smaller and there aren't enough resources or career paths; larger and you will be insignificant etc. What are other people's experiences on this?

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 15:50:17 »

I am curious as how people feel regarding company size. The size I meant was about 50-200 employees. I don't have a statistical sample, but my personal estimates have been that the 30-300 people range would be ideal. Smaller and there aren't enough resources or career paths; larger and you will be insignificant etc. What are other people's experiences on this?

I am a firm believer that you get more opportunities in smaller companies. You get exposed to more technologies and you learn new things out of necessity. I've worked at very, very large companies where everyone there equates to a "button pusher".  They are highly skilled at one very specific thing. That is great, if that is all you care to do, but it doesn't expose you to much else, and it didn’t give me any kind of job satisfaction. I've also worked for smaller companies - between 300 - 500 employees, and that I found much more rewarding. Instead of doing one thing well, I can do a lot of things well, and I can have influence over my own area.

There are plusses and minuses to each though. With bigger companies often come better benefits, they can be more flexible, and most of the time you get better pay (most, but not always). But you are just another cog in the system. In my experience with smaller companies, I knew almost everyone there. If you are good at your job, people respect that, they know who you are. So you become less of "That unfriendly techie" and more of a part of the overall team.
There is one major downside to the smaller company though...if they make or do anything worthwhile you will inevitably be bought out by a larger competitor, and that, in no uncertain terms, sucks.

Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around