Author Topic: Trying to install WinXP on a new computer, nonstop blue screen of death  (Read 4547 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly

Am trying to setup a new CPU, motherboard with my old WinXP and Win7 hard drives. I was assured by the computer shop people that this CPU and motherboard can work with WinXP. Neither hard disks with my WinXP or Win7 systems will boot up. They say there are problems, but can’t repair them even with the installation disc in the CDRom.

This is not a hard disk problem. They work fine. I can easily read their data on another computer.

So I’ve decided to try the old reformat HDD-reinstall OS route. Booted up with WindowsXP CD.

I can’t do it. Keep getting that blue screen “a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down…”

The technical info is:
STOP: 0*0000007e (0*c0000005, 0*F748E0BF, 0*F78DA208, 0*F78D9F08)
Pci.sys – Address F748E0BF base at F7487000, DateStamp 3b7d855c

Questions are:

1) how can I put a WinXP or Win7 Hard disk into a new motherboard and CPU? What do I need to do to have them start up normally?
2) if I want to do a clean installation by wiping the old drive, how do I do it? I've done this process like 20x before, but not anytime within the past 3 years. I have no idea how come I can't boot up from CD, 'reformat drive', and install WinXP anymore.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Just wondering it if is a hardware problem somewhere.

Can you boot one of the live Linux CDs?  A lot of those come with hardware tests that might help diagnose a deeper problem.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Coreda

Firstly I would recommend against installing XP unless you plan on not connecting the system to the internet, as MS has already discontinued security update support for it, leaving it a risk going forward.

Apart from that installing a new mobo requires a re-activation IIRC, as part of the agreement. It shouldn't halt a fresh install on a newly wiped drive though. Edit: oh right, you're live booting to format the drive, not sure there.

Thankfully Windows 8 OEM copies do away with any reactivation when changing the board or CPU, although that mightn't be the issue here.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 July 2014, 06:37:49 by Coreda »

Offline Daspartic

• IBM is love IBM is life
Hmm, does it boot in Safe Mode? Maybe it's some sort of software conflict.
IBM Displaywriter (82 key) | IBM Model F 4704 (107 key) |  IBM Model F AT x3 | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 3104 x2 | IBM 6112884 (Green Tee mount Alps) | Realforce 87u (55g) | IBM Model M 1390131 x2 | IBM Model M (1391401 '88) | Leopold FC500R (MX Browns) | Wang (725-5971) (Salmon Alps) | Acer 6011 (SKCM Blue Alps) | White Fox (65 g Zealios) | XMIT keyboard (Hall Effect)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy

Apart from that installing a new mobo requires a re-activation IIRC, as part of the agreement. It shouldn't halt a fresh install on a newly wiped drive though. Edit: oh right, you're live booting to format the drive, not sure there.

Thankfully Windows 8 OEM copies do away with any reactivation when changing the board or CPU, although that mightn't be the issue here.

I am going somewhat off-topic, but please help me understand this.

Currently, my family has several reasonably modern computers running Windows 7 (except that my wife worships at the Apple altar for her laptop and desktop .....) and I have a couple of old boxes in the basement. I have several obsolete Microsoft OSs in storage (6.22, 3.1, 95, 98, XP) that I have vague future plans for installing onto some sort of "retro" rig.

DOS itself should not present any problems, as I remember (but it has been nearly 2 decades ....) and I could do my diagnostics, cleaning, and formatting via Linux in preparation for the setup, if need be, so that is OK.

But, will the Windows install and run properly without "activation"? I have the legitimate COA numbers, but does "ET" need to "phone home" before they will come around? Connecting to the internet at all would not be necessary for these old boxes, if it came to that.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Will the Windows install and run properly without "activation"?

In my experience, if you don't activate it, Windows will recognize it and then say "This copy of Window's isn't authentic". It then changes the desktop and works poorly until you activate it. Even if your computer isn't connected to the internet.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
In my experience, if you don't activate it, Windows will recognize it and then say "This copy of Window's isn't authentic". It then changes the desktop and works poorly until you activate it. Even if your computer isn't connected to the internet.

That sucks.

So, if I tried to install, say Windows 98 SE on an old mid-1990s era computer, is there some sort of bootleg/jailbreak/workaround that I could use to get it running properly, or would it be permanently crippled?

Presumably, the "telephone activation" line in Redmond is long since disconnected, too.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper

That sucks.

So, if I tried to install, say Windows 98 SE on an old mid-1990s era computer, is there some sort of bootleg/jailbreak/workaround that I could use to get it running properly, or would it be permanently crippled?

Presumably, the "telephone activation" line in Redmond is long since disconnected, too.

I called in a WinXP activation several years ago. It wasn't even a legit copy, yet they still activated it. True story.

As for Win98, pretty sure you just need any working Win98 product key, and it will work, even if the key isn't "yours".
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Nothing before XP has anything of an activation system, only some serial number check which is all built in on the install media. I have 98SE on an old repurposed thin client I use for a retro gaming rig. Besides having to get really ingenious with it so I finally got it installed via a usb stick since I haven't owned an optical drive in years I haven't had any non typical issues with it's operation.

As far as the OP goes, unless you are moving disk onto a build with the same chipset more often than not you won't be able to just boot it up from one machine to the next. You will need to do fresh install. Also, unless there is some obscure reason that you need something like direct hardware access that a VM can't provide I also wouldn't install XP at all. If you do need it I highly recommend installing it with steadystate.

Offline berserkfan

I have totally not been able to do anything with my new PCB, new CPU, new Power supply, new RAM. All bought from the same long established shop with experienced people recommending this setup.

Since I couldn't get either of my (working) WinXP or Win7 OS installed HDD to start up, I started up with their bootup discs and tried to 'repair'. No dice.

I can’t reformat and install OS on them either. I get blue screens blaming pci.sys.

I researched pci.sys and it seems to be a motherboard or chipset something. So I tried booting up with Ubuntu bootup disk with the hope of installing the new motherboard drivers on the HDD. This Ubuntu disk has always worked in the past. It quit! They called it “Abnormal Exit”. Tried several times, same error messages.

Tried the WinXP startup with a blank 32GB flashdrive in the hope of at least creating a bootable drive. Again same blue screen of death with the same messages blaming pci.sys.

What could be wrong? I have not tinkered with the BIOS ie it is still on the same manufacturer's settings. I have not installed any motherboard drivers (of course, since I can't get access to HDD). There are no weird beeps other than the initial startup beep. I've consulted motherboard manual and am reasonably sure that I stuck the right things in the right places.

additionally

Since I wanted access to an XP OS for the sake of programming my many Cherry keyboards and also to have a functioning backup computer, that's why I was willing to buy new parts and also wanted to install VirtualBox. Unfortunately BOTH routes have failed. Ivan, after installing VirtualBox I can't get it to start up an XP 'machine' at all, so I haven't even been able to install WinXP on that virtual box. Can anyone help?
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Re: Trying to install WinXP on a new computer, nonstop blue screen of death
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 09:52:35 »
Go back to that computer shop and tell them you just bought the thing and can't for the life of you get an OS installed on it. Make them deal with it. It's an obvious hardware problem.
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 09:55:31 »

I should've said that it was with XP and the telephone activation line works when I tried last year.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 10:36:11 »
I'm confused.. You're taking a PREVIOUSLY installed  OS, and trying to get it working with new hardware?

THIS ALMOST ALWAYS get choked up..

You gotta Fresh format...    if you don't want to buy an OS... there's  Arrrg Matey Software..

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 10:42:12 »
I'm confused.. You're taking a PREVIOUSLY installed  OS, and trying to get it working with new hardware?

You gotta Fresh format...    if you don't want to buy an OS... there's  Arrrg Matey Software..

Lol. L2read.

I can’t reformat and install OS on them either. I get blue screens blaming pci.sys.

He gets BSODs during the setup process.

THAT BEING SAID.

Can't you take the hard drive, put it in another computer, and run XP setup on that computer? Just have it copy the setup files over to the hard drive, which will make it bootable, and will make it so you can finish setup on the other machine, which is when it installs the chipset and other drivers.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 10:48:25 »

Lol. L2read.

THAT BEING SAID.

Can't you take the hard drive, put it in another computer, and run XP setup on that computer? Just have it copy the setup files over to the hard drive, which will make it bootable, and will make it so you can finish setup on the other machine, which is when it installs the chipset and other drivers.

Update bios..

STOP installing from CD rom.. 

Download Arrg Matey software

Use Windows 7 USB tool..  downloads the iso file to create bootable installation usb drive

Tell computer to boot from USB and install from USB..  It's much faster and easier..

I'm guessssing the reason you can't get the CD to work, is because the CD is probably not passing hashchecks.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 11:02:53 »

Lol. L2read.

THAT BEING SAID.

Update bios..

Use Windows 7 USB tool..  downloads the iso file to create bootable installation usb drive

Tell computer to boot from USB and install from USB..  It's much faster and easier..

I'm guessssing the reason you can't get the CD to work, is because the CD is probably not passing hashchecks.

Even with an Ubuntu disk he is getting errors, so it's not due to a bad install CD.

I would bet a week's salary that this is a hardware issue.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 11:19:58 »

Lol. L2read.

THAT BEING SAID.

Update bios..

Even with an Ubuntu disk he is getting errors, so it's not due to a bad install CD.

what does he have plugged into the PCI / PCIe

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 11:37:29 »

Lol. L2read.

THAT BEING SAID.

Update bios..

Show Image

what does he have plugged into the PCI / PCIe
GOOD QUESTION

It just might be relevant... try booting with the minimum installed hardware (1 stick of RAM, no PCI devices, onboard graphics if possible).
tp thread is tp thread

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 12:13:32 »
I have tried booting up with the minimum onboard graphics. Same problem.

Reading the motherboard manual I saw they said "must install WinXP SP3 before using SATA HDD... due to H61 [my motherboard is an ASUS H-61] chipset limitation, AHCI mode only works on VIsta/Win7. Please use IDE mode on WinXP."

This is bizarre because this motherboard does not have IDE ports so how can I plug in an IDE HDD? I had installed Win7 on one SATA drive and WinXP on another SATA drive and swapping them around, or booting up with one, or even booting up with only the Ubuntu bootup disc without any HDD at all, hasn't done any good.

Apart from that only new thing to try (will try soon) is reseating the CPU. Maybe it was not put in properly, as improbable as that sounds.

Really looks like tomorrow I have to go down to the shop and talk to these people. Being technically un-inclined I have very little confidence. Really afraid of being scammed. Singapore's Sim Lim Square is internationally renowned for... scams.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 12:24:35 »

Doesn't matter whether I am booting up with a WindowsOS hd, or the WINXP installation CD. Damned blue screen of death pops up with the same error message stated in my OP.

Reading the motherboard manual I saw they said "must install WinXP SP3 before using SATA HDD... due to H61 [my motherboard is an ASUS H-61] chipset limitation, AHCI mode only works on VIsta/Win7. Please use IDE mode on WinXP."

This is bizarre because this motherboard does not have IDE ports so how can I plug in an IDE HDD? I had installed Win7 on one SATA drive and WinXP on another SATA drive and swapping them around, or booting up with one, or even booting up with only the Ubuntu bootup disc without any HDD at all, hasn't done any good.

Apart from that only new thing to try (will try soon) is reseating the CPU. Maybe it was not put in properly, as improbable as that sounds.

Really looks like tomorrow I have to go down to the shop and talk to these people. Being technically un-inclined I have very little confidence. Really afraid of being scammed. Singapore's Sim Lim Square is internationally renowned for... scams.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 13:36:32 »

mmm..

h61 eh.. hmmm...   ide mode works over sata.. it offers no disadvantage unless you're using an SSD..

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 14:37:57 »

mmm..

h61 eh.. hmmm...   ide mode works over sata.. it offers no disadvantage unless you're using an SSD..
[/quote]

Sorry, don't quite understand. So am I supposed to enter BIOS and reconfigure the HDD with WINXP on it to IDE mode? I'm still getting blue screen of death, but just downloaded a new version of Ubuntu so maybe that can work with the mobo.

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 14:47:24 »
You probably need to install sata drivers for the mobo during installation. There should be a function key to press to install scsi drivers very early in the xp installation. You'll need a floppy disk with drivers for the hd controller at that point.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 15:14:45 »

Probably just a badly translated message meaning that drivers for the SATA port were added to Windows XP SP3.  If you try to install XP SP2 it hasn't got the driver and simply won't recognise the SATA port and thus stop you from installing.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 15:53:56 »

Probably just a badly translated message meaning that drivers for the SATA port were added to Windows XP SP3.  If you try to install XP SP2 it hasn't got the driver and simply won't recognise the SATA port and thus stop you from installing.

OK, now here's an update

I downloaded the latest version of Ubuntu, made a bootup flash drive, and tried again. And it worked! I got into the system, and installed Ubuntu v14.04 on my Win7 HDD, then started the system again and got into Ubuntu 14.04.

But now I'm stuck again.

I don't know how to use ubuntu, and I prefer not to use it. I put the motherboard driver CD in, but autoexec won't run. Tried running it in Ubuntu, didn't work.

I managed to open some readmes which are quite info-rich, but I have no idea where to begin. Readmes list a whole army of drivers and stuff for win7.

Now the questions are: how to update my win7 and my winXP with the basic motherboard drivers so that I can happily run these systems on this computer? Previously starting them up on the bootup CDs didn't work, the repair functions also didn't work, so I must assume that the bootup CDs are too old for the motherboard.

I also tried installing virtual box on this Ubuntu14 system. I'm exhausted. I really don't seem to be able to navigate my way around ubuntu and I don't understand the instructions on how to operate virtual box and how to install or run a virtual box system. If anyone can help, that would be awesome. This is terrible, really terrible. It seems to keep getting more complicated all the time and although at least my hardware is up and running, I am very far from getting a system I want and am comfortable with using.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 July 2014, 16:24:53 by berserkfan »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 17:33:31 »
That's odd.  Unless the hardware was made in the last few months and specifically excludes Windows 7 support (unlikely), it could still be a hardware problem.

The Ubuntu CD probably has some hardware testing you can access from the boot menu - to check memory, that sort of thing.  Have you tried that?

Maybe removing and replugging the hardware has helped a bit.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 18:42:02 »

OK, now here's an update

I downloaded the latest version of Ubuntu, made a bootup flash drive, and tried again. And it worked! I got into the system, and installed Ubuntu v14.04 on my Win7 HDD, then started the system again and got into Ubuntu 14.04.

But now I'm stuck again.

I don't know how to use ubuntu, and I prefer not to use it. I put the motherboard driver CD in, but autoexec won't run. Tried running it in Ubuntu, didn't work.

I managed to open some readmes which are quite info-rich, but I have no idea where to begin. Readmes list a whole army of drivers and stuff for win7.

Now the questions are: how to update my win7 and my winXP with the basic motherboard drivers so that I can happily run these systems on this computer? Previously starting them up on the bootup CDs didn't work, the repair functions also didn't work, so I must assume that the bootup CDs are too old for the motherboard.

I also tried installing virtual box on this Ubuntu14 system. I'm exhausted. I really don't seem to be able to navigate my way around ubuntu and I don't understand the instructions on how to operate virtual box and how to install or run a virtual box system. If anyone can help, that would be awesome. This is terrible, really terrible. It seems to keep getting more complicated all the time and although at least my hardware is up and running, I am very far from getting a system I want and am comfortable with using.

I told you... USB motherfff.. USB

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 19:23:56 »

I have had Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7 peacefully co-existing on my laptop for several years, but they never play together nicely on my desktop, even after numerous tries. And it should be easier because the laptop ghettos Ubuntu into a small partition in the back, while my desktop has an entire dedicated hard drive just for it.

Also, there is a great little utility called "parted" (partition editor) that you will need, that may not be an actual component of Ubuntu.

Be sure that you have a large partition for Windows, and read up on installing the OSs in the correct order and the correct parameters.

Ubuntu is pretty nice and I would happily move that way but for a few necessities that are found only in Redmond ....

Offline Turkishrambo

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 21:51:04 »
Don't use XP

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 23:18:57 »

[/quote]

[/quote]

TP, my problem has been totally not solved. I have only figured out that the hardware is ok.

How the heck can I get either my WinXP or my Win7 OS operating on this system? I don't know how to use Ubuntu, and playing around with it, it is so unfamiliar and uncomfortable that it's practically telling me to 'upgrade' to Windows 8.

and what are you talking about USB; USB was never an issue. USB devices worked. You have no cause to celebrate.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 01:40:12 »

[/quote]

TP, my problem has been totally not solved. I have only figured out that the hardware is ok.

How the heck can I get either my WinXP or my Win7 OS operating on this system? I don't know how to use Ubuntu, and playing around with it, it is so unfamiliar and uncomfortable that it's practically telling me to 'upgrade' to Windows 8.

and what are you talking about USB; USB was never an issue. USB devices worked. You have no cause to celebrate.
[/quote]

I sent you PM

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 01:44:23 »

[ img width=50 height=50]http://a.deviantart.net/avatars/k/a/kaminaonionplz.gif?1[/img ]

I sent you PM

Quoting like a champion :p

Offline Daspartic

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 01:53:55 »
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-system/i-get-a-bluescreen-with-a-stop-error-0x0000007e/84e3ca1e-865c-49b1-af0b-fed7448f6fc9

Try this link, this guy had the same errors.  He said go into the bios and change "RAID Auto/AHCI" to "RAID Auto/ATA" and that let him use his install disk.
Good luck!
IBM Displaywriter (82 key) | IBM Model F 4704 (107 key) |  IBM Model F AT x3 | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 3104 x2 | IBM 6112884 (Green Tee mount Alps) | Realforce 87u (55g) | IBM Model M 1390131 x2 | IBM Model M (1391401 '88) | Leopold FC500R (MX Browns) | Wang (725-5971) (Salmon Alps) | Acer 6011 (SKCM Blue Alps) | White Fox (65 g Zealios) | XMIT keyboard (Hall Effect)

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 02:29:05 »
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-system/i-get-a-bluescreen-with-a-stop-error-0x0000007e/84e3ca1e-865c-49b1-af0b-fed7448f6fc9

Try this link, this guy had the same errors.  He said go into the bios and change "RAID Auto/AHCI" to "RAID Auto/ATA" and that let him use his install disk.
Good luck!

Thanks a lot; your answer is very good and on the point.

I'd read it already, and it seems to apply to a Dell. Under my ASUS-H61 bios, I don't actually have a 'RAID' option. OK, I didn't read every single word in every single option, but under things pertaining to 'bootup', or 'hdd', or even 'usb' I did not find that Raid option. But there was an option to choose xxx (can't remember) AHCI or xxx IDE. Eventually I tried the IDE option, managed to boot into WinXP safe mode, and then it refused to go any further. No opening of any boot CD, installation CD, driver CD.

'can't execute kernel mode driver' whenever I try to do anything involving the CD.

Am guessing it is past the basic hardware problem stage, but not past the driver problem stage yet.

Offline Daspartic

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 02:41:24 »
Hmm, have you tried just forgoing the CD and just using the USB to install windows, like you did with ubuntu?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 10:47:53 »
Well since ubuntu works the build is probably OK. Now you just need to boot off the live linux and go into gparted and delete the old Windows partitions on the hard drive so you can clean install. You will have to do a clean install so quit wasting your time trying to make the old installs from other computer work because you aren't going to. Using USB method for installing Windows is a good idea if you weren't doing it that way before.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 10:51:28 »
Always use USB... ALWAYS...

Optical is so slow......  and has way more errors... 

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 13:15:32 »
after much effort, I have finally gotten both hdds to run and installed all necessary drivers.

whew

now my next step will be to attack the old computer's parts. Having taken it apart I noticed some blown capacitors in the power supply and also one blown capacitor in the video card. I don't know what is the issue, but I think this weekend I will change all capacitors and try starting up this old computer again. Since my HDDs have been adapted for the new computer, I will probably just use a ubuntu startup disk to experiment.

My purpose is not to save a few bucks. It is to learn something. Oh, and I am now typing on my reprogrammed Cherry G80 keyboard. I needed WinXP for that.  :p

THANKS EVERYBODY WHO PUT UP WITH ME AND CONTRIBUTED IDEAS AND YOUR WISDOM/ EXPERIENCE. I LOVE GEEKHACK!