Author Topic: Help with BS  (Read 2339 times)

Offline LouisHjelmslev

• This is all so complicated
Help with BS
« on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 11:18:21 »
I think it's time that I stray from the path of Cherry, even for a short while.
After much deliberation and internal strife, I have decided that BS is the way to go. However I'm in serious need of advice. Upon perusing the makes and models available with BS, I have to say that I'm a bit overwhelmed! Counting only Model M's, I'm not sure if there's any difference in typing experience between different years and blue/silver/etc labels. I do understand that I should be looking for plastic rivets.
As a wildcard, are Unicomp's comparable in typing experience? Although not essential, I could see myself getting annoyed at times attempting a Windows shortcut only to be laughed at by the gaping blank space on Model M's.
To clarify, I don't foresee myself purchasing a BS as a collector. I intend to make full use of it on a daily basis.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Offline thesupergeek

Re: Help with BS
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 11:40:03 »
From what I have heard, the Unicomp "replicas" are very accurate, and are a very good representation of the feel of buckling spring as a whole.
My collection:

GON HHKB (62g MX Clears), CM Storm Novatouch, Poker II (MX Blues)  ., HHKB 2 Pro ., Cherry G80 (MX Blacks), JD40 (In the mail as soon as Margo builds it!), Plank Keyboard (parts in the mail!)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 11:45:37 »
If I had to choose, I'd just get an IBM 1391401. The typical "Model M" is that model number. The blue labels and whatever else don't really affect how I hunt for Ms because they're just an indication of when the boards were made. I think the older boards are supposedly nicer but in practice, I feel like bolt modding the boards change the feel more than anything else.

The rivets are important because if they're intact, the board will feel "proper". However, most boards have broken rivets, changing how the board feels. If you bolt mod it, you can tune the board to feel the way you'd like it. Dorkvader bolt modded my SSK and it's the best buckling spring over membrane switch I've tried. I'm very happy with it.

The Model F boards are buckling spring over capacitive and feel slightly different. If you can get an AT F and you're happy with that layout, I'd recommend that board.

The Unicomps are ok but I think the cases aren't as nice. And the keycaps aren't as good. They feel slightly different from the 1391401.

Last thing to keep in mind is that if you have 5 buckling spring boards together, they might all feel slightly different due to condition, cleanliness, condition of the rivets, and bolt mod tweaks.

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 12:07:43 »
M = Better build quality, but old.  Ps/2 and not USB.  2KRO.

Unicomp feels like a NIB Model M (switch/springs), but the case is not as solid and the board weighs less.

From my understanding, the history and condition of the board will affect feel more than the manu year.  Stick to IBM builds though, and not Lexmark.

Also love my Unicomp :)

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 19:29:35 »
From what I have heard, the Unicomp "replicas" are very accurate, and are a very good representation of the feel of buckling spring as a whole.

Unicomps are not replicas.

A Unicomp is a true Model M keyboard in every way, made in the same factory using the same machines as classic 1980s IBM iron.

If you want a fresh, new keyboard with warranty and USB plug for <$100 delivered to your door, buy the Unicomp.

This from someone who owns nearly a dozen IBM keyboards (having owned and sold at least twice that number), and the newest one is a 1991.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 20:05:09 »
I have used both an IBM Model M and a Unicomp, but I did not have both in my possession at the same time. I got the Unicomp several years after using the M. To me, the Unicomp felt exactly as I remembered the original feeling. I used it for 10 years after I first purchased it. I still have it, but I can't use it as my primary board in my current office location. I would have no trouble recommending Unicomp. And it can come with a Windows key if you would like, too.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 20:15:38 »

Unicomps are not replicas.

A Unicomp is a true Model M keyboard in every way, made in the same factory using the same machines as classic 1980s IBM iron.

If you want a fresh, new keyboard with warranty and USB plug for <$100 delivered to your door, buy the Unicomp.

This from someone who owns nearly a dozen IBM keyboards (having owned and sold at least twice that number), and the newest one is a 1991.

But don't they use a different plastic for the case?

And the plate?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline noway

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 20:17:19 »
What bothers me about any big keyboard (not just Model M) is having the alphanumeric keys to left of monitor centre.   I like to type straight on and don't like shifting the whole keyboard to the right.  To that end, I would go SSK over the regular Model M.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 20:42:09 »

And the plate?

You could create a long list of cost-cutting changes starting with IBM itself in the late 1980s.

Some people would want a 1968 Ford Mustang, but some people would prefer a 2014, even at the same price point.

In comparison to that, the differences from old to new Model Ms are trivial.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 23:58:45 »
Minor correction, they use the same machines that Lexmark used to create Model M's once it was them who owned it all.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline 1391406

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 00:56:20 »
To date, Unicomp's are the lowest quality Model M you can buy, in my opinion. I consider them replicas of IBM manufactured Model M's in a number of qualitative respects. That said, there are minute differences in typing feel compared to earlier, classic (ie. IBM manufactured) Model M's, although I think it's similar enough for most users that the differences are fairly negligible, in my opinion.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline 1391406

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 00:59:20 »

And the plate?

You could create a long list of cost-cutting changes starting with IBM itself in the late 1980s.

In comparison to that, the differences from old to new Model Ms are trivial.

The qualitative differences between an IBM manufactured Model M from 1987 and a current Unicomp are rather stark, in my opinion.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 01:04:51 »
I think that probably depends on just how many of these the person is planning on getting. If it's only one then the first and last one they get will still be awesome compared to domes. So with that frame in mind it likely doesn't matter which.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline 1391406

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 01:13:37 »
I think that probably depends on just how many of these the person is planning on getting. If it's only one then the first and last one they get will still be awesome compared to domes. So with that frame in mind it likely doesn't matter which.

The OP has stated they're not a collector and are primarily interested in the typing experience. That being the case, I'd recommend the Unicomp, as he also expressed an interest in having a Windows key.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 01:17:49 »

The OP has stated they're not a collector and are primarily interested in the typing experience. That being the case, I'd recommend the Unicomp, as he also expressed an interest in having a Windows key.

Exactly!

Based on the preference for a Windows key, a Unicomp would be the better choice.

But a Model M could be picked up for considerably less, albeit without a Windows key.  That would give an excellent impression of typing on a buckling spring keyboard, and maybe help decide if you really want to stick with BS.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 08:43:36 »
I agree, if OP wanted a keyboard just for the buckling spring typing experience, and not for the collecting aspect of Model Ms, I would totally recommend the Unicomp.

Offline LouisHjelmslev

• This is all so complicated
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 08:52:58 »

That pretty much seals the deal. Thanks a lot everyone for such informative responses! I didn't know that the Unicomp's were so close in typing experience, in many ways, I thought they'd be just a watered down version of the original experience. If and when I fall in love with BS, I may very well begin to collect them in due time!

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 15:40:10 »
I recommend going for a model F or 1390131 / 1390120 for your next buckling spring keyboard. :)

Unicomp is a great choice to start with. I "upgraded" my 1391401 (1-21-1990) to it in 2011. I used both keyboards for about a year. I still have that usicomp and still use it for testing computers. The feel, while not the same, is still excellent, and I think you will enjoy it a lot.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 15:45:35 »
Were there any IBM M's that had a windows key?  Or was production ceased before that key was introduced "mainstream"?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline 1391406

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 16:52:20 »
Were there any IBM M's that had a windows key?  Or was production ceased before that key was introduced "mainstream"?

IBM manufactured Model M's had long been out of production and there are no Lexmark variants with Windows keys that I'm aware of.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 July 2014, 16:54:00 by 1391406 »