Author Topic: Why does ripster55 and the /r/mechanicalkeyboards community hate you?  (Read 13417 times)

Offline thesupergeek

So, I came here a few days back from reddit when there was a slow day on mechanicalkeyboards. You may have heard of /u/ripster55, who (apparently) was b& from this forum a while back. I was just wondering what the strong dislike between these two forums is. I just want to hang out and talk about keyboards, not inter-site gossip. I would like to know what Ripster did to get banned though, and why all this gossip is happening. Thanks in advance!
My collection:

GON HHKB (62g MX Clears), CM Storm Novatouch, Poker II (MX Blues)  ., HHKB 2 Pro ., Cherry G80 (MX Blacks), JD40 (In the mail as soon as Margo builds it!), Plank Keyboard (parts in the mail!)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Why does ripster55 and the /r/mechanicalkeyboards community hate you?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 10:22:33 »
Rip who? Never heard of him.

Offline thesupergeek

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 10:23:04 »
Rip who? Never heard of him.

It may be a very one sided hate. He is a little odd.
My collection:

GON HHKB (62g MX Clears), CM Storm Novatouch, Poker II (MX Blues)  ., HHKB 2 Pro ., Cherry G80 (MX Blacks), JD40 (In the mail as soon as Margo builds it!), Plank Keyboard (parts in the mail!)

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 10:24:19 »
Here we go again. Another ripster-hate thread...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 10:24:36 »
He h8s GH because he put alot of work into GH..  writing informationals.

and when he was banned, that was kinda hard for him..   so the only way to ease his sorrow, is by toughening up on the side of hatred... it's his way of balancing himself when something that meant a great deal to him was lost..

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 12:11:08 »
This comes up not infrequently.  The short answer is that, despite being a central community figure and producing a lot of valuable wiki content, he became a huge problem due to incessant personal attacks and spam, so he was banned.  Note he was also banned from deskthority and r/keyboards (and at least one other hardware forum, IIRC).  He spent a _lot_ of time and effort on the forum, and was upset that he couldn't do whatever he wanted.

There was a lot of discussion about it recently here:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58563

Here's an older thread that I found while searching for the one above:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33526
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 July 2014, 12:14:03 by hashbaz »

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 12:15:47 »
He just couldn't take losing the Troll Poll back in 2010, so he went off the deep end.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 12:19:14 »
He just couldn't take losing the Troll Poll back in 2010, so he went off the deep end.

Didn't you win that poll?

He is a little odd.

QFT
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 12:32:28 »

Yes I did. I won, he lost. And that principle applies to many aspects of life. And my secret to winning? I just simply use Windows 98.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline iri

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 12:41:26 »
I ****ed his wife.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 12:45:38 »

Yes I did. I won, he lost. And that principle applies to many aspects of life. And my secret to winning? I just simply use Windows 98.

98 or 98SE?

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 12:47:52 »
If this was an online dating website, I'd imagine Ripsters profile would list his status as "it's complicated". While I was here during and after people seem to forget that the issues Rip experienced were not unique to just GH, but also DT and several other sites. He even was banned from /r/keyboards before starting his new sub.

Just remember, you can be the most talented person in the world but if you're unable or unwilling to work with others, regardless of who's right or wrong, you're gonna have a bad time.

Edit: Also it's hard to read the context on an online forum, which I've found myself victim to several times. In my mind I've manufactured things that probably weren't there, and vise versa.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 July 2014, 12:50:03 by Wildcard »

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 12:48:07 »
So, I came here a few days back from reddit when there was a slow day on mechanicalkeyboards. You may have heard of /u/ripster55, who (apparently) was b& from this forum a while back. I was just wondering what the strong dislike between these two forums is. I just want to hang out and talk about keyboards, not inter-site gossip. I would like to know what Ripster did to get banned though, and why all this gossip is happening. Thanks in advance!

I don't think anybody here dislikes /r/mechanicalkeyboards.  As for /u/ripster55, maybe some GH'er's dislike him, but most just don't care enough about him to have an opinion.  For me personally, it was his racist posts that were troubling.  His personal attacks and spam were also bad, ofc.  It should be noted that the ban of ripster was not capricious, he was warned repeatedly, and given several temp bans, before he received his final ban.  So, it's not like he made one rude post and was banned for life. 
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 13:19:15 »
Yeah, can we just pin one of these threads so we don't get these all the time?
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 13:33:28 »
I miss the old Ripster, back before he cracked. Good guy with great info.

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
Why does ripster55 and the /r/mechanicalkeyboards community hate you?
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 13:50:16 »
he's a loser and a dweeb
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 14:18:11 »
he's a loser and a dweeb

Nailed it in one, sir.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 14:26:14 »
He is/was all of these things.

I feel lucky that I was able to learn as much as I did from him, and we owe him a very large debt of gratitude. I doubt that I was more than a third of the way through his wikis by the time of the meltdown.

But when he went septic, it was just bizarre and there was no reason for it.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 14:39:30 »
I liked Rippy.  He was always good to me .....

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 17:27:40 »
Every thread that mentions him gives him more life.

Every post that references him adds another star to his firmament.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 17:29:56 »
He actually loves us. Why do you think he gives us all that free promotion? We've had more new members join since /r/mechanicalkeyboards started than ever. Thank you based ripster god!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 17:30:17 »
He's the reason I'm here

and he's also a ****head.

He actually loves us. Why do you think he gives us all that free promotion? We've had more new members join since /r/mechanicalkeyboards started than ever. Thank you based ripster god!

Kappa
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Malphas

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 17:34:26 »
he's a loser and a dweeb

Nailed it in one, sir.

Bingo. I got a good laugh out of Ripster from time to time, but he was also a hypersensitive loser on the flip side.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 17:40:55 »
Every thread that mentions him gives him more life.

Every post that references him adds another star to his firmament.

Quoted for truth and lulz.  99% of the energy expended in this "feud" is generated by rip personally.

Ping!

Offline P3TC0CK

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 17:50:44 »
I post on GH, /r/MK, and DA in that order of activity when it comes to tech related things.  GH and Reddit  are just different formats for different types of media. You can't really get a long term project documented and going on reddit without it being spammy. It's a place for spontaneous and short conversations and interactions.
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun
1. a small valve or faucet, as for draining off excess or waste material from the cylinder of a steam engine or an internal-combustion engine.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 21:51:35 »
Yeah, can we just pin one of these threads so we don't get these all the time?

That would only serve to fuel his ego further.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 21:55:24 »
Sad old bastard with nothing better to do.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline Beca

• what am i doing with my life
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 22:01:03 »
I just want to hang out and talk about keyboards, not inter-site gossip.
wat. this whole thread is about inter-site gossip. in fact, a simple google search would have given you the answer :blank:

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 08:16:49 »

you mean like ALL of us?
well tp4 i have some bad news and some bad news...
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 08:22:32 »

you mean like ALL of us?

I may be sad, but I'm NOT an old bastard...

tp thread is tp thread

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 08:28:08 »

you mean like ALL of us?

I may be an old bastard, but I'm not sad.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 08:28:44 »

98 or 98SE?

They'll both do. I personally prefer 98SE myself though.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 08:30:46 »

you mean like ALL of us?

Touché
tp thread is tp thread

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 08:31:29 »
I am an old bastard, sometimes sad, but rarely mean-spirited.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 08:32:15 »

you mean like ALL of us?

And I'm an indifferent mid-20 year old.  Stop trying to force me into your ideals, tp4.

Offline iri

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 08:44:06 »

you mean like ALL of us?

i am neither
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Dyslexic

• All we love we leave behind
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 11:44:06 »
I don't think it's fair to say that the "community" (and I use that term loosely) hates the website, most of the "Geekwhack" comments are made out of ignorance because they see a few circlejerkers (including ripster himself) using it regularly in the threads. I've just started calling people out when they link to Geekhack threads while using the word Geekwhack because more often than not they're giving backhanded praise to something this community has accomplished (e.g., the thread the other day about the production shots of the toxic caps where OP edited his use of the term geekwhack out of his post after I called him on his ****). I'm not even that active on this website, but I'm sick of seeing people from r/mech use the term geekwhack while begging people to sell them brobots and clacks. Kind of a joke.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 July 2014, 11:46:00 by Dyslexic »
| HHKB Type-S | FC660C Silenced | ReΛlforce 23UB

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 12:42:17 »
rip thinks his **** don't stink
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 13:28:45 »
I expected him to make his own forum, like /KL did, but I think he went to reddit because reddit has more people.

I just wish he'd quit spreading misinformation (about cherry white / green switches, for example) that I have to then correct.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 20:38:26 »
correcting him is half the fun lol
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 20:42:50 »
is half the fun

Problem is, there has been no "fun" and "ripster" in the same sentence since about 2012.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:00:59 »
correcting him is half the fun lol

Yes it is.

More

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:24:53 »
Ripster's a loser.