Author Topic: Molly: The Neuromancer inspired key set. Any Thoughts?  (Read 3383 times)

Offline SOLOM

Molly: The Neuromancer inspired key set. Any Thoughts?
« on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 13:09:57 »

This is black with silver like Molly's eyes, blades (Molly's favorite tool), pistol, SOME NAMES AND PLACES FROM THE BOOK, you might recognize them if you've read it. I you haven't read the book, get on it!
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 July 2014, 13:41:43 by SOLOM »

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
Re: Molly: The Neuromancer inspired key set. Any Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 13:11:57 »
Fixed the image size so that it fit the post.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline SOLOM

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 13:14:08 »
Thanks

Offline geniekid

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 13:20:37 »
Am I the only one who still can't see the image?

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 13:25:55 »
Am I the only one who still can't see the image?

Seems to be an issue with the image host. Getting nothing but timeouts on here and on his reddit post.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 15:15:52 »
Home should be the Sprawl :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline admiralvorian

• DIY
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 16:36:24 »
I think a neuromancer-themed keycap set has the potential to be awesome, however I don't think this is the way I'd go about it.

Molly doesn't use a cartridge firearm, she uses a flechette gun
Molly also doesn't use a kabar, she has blades under her fingernails
random nouns for the nav cluster don't make sense to me.. and for other keys (dex for tab?)
this is otherwise just a white on black set with some novelty keys

edit: also a neuromancer set is pretty much required to have a MAX REVERSE key

« Last Edit: Tue, 22 July 2014, 16:39:12 by admiralvorian »
Darude Status:
☐ Not Sandstorm
☑ Sandstorm                                               wts wtt wtb

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 17:31:49 »
And an ICE key!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SOLOM

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 18:10:37 »
Good points! Back to the drawing board. I'll post a renewed version soon.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 18:28:45 »
I love the idea of a Neuromancer-inspired set, but yeah this doesn't really speak to me. (yet!)  Keep going, I'll be on board if we can come up with something cool. :thumb:

Offline SOLOM

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 19:24:39 »

COUPLE TWEAKS.

1. I know Molly had blades under her nails. But remember Linda was stabbed to death in an arena with knife fighter?
2. A flechette pistol, A flechette is a round that can be shot from many types of guns so yes the cartridge weapon works.
3. We got pills, beta , and blue 9 cuz Case loved his drugs.
4. we got ninja stars cuz Case always wished he had chrome ninja stars.
5. MAX REVERSE, nuff said there.
6. locales from the book/upcoming movie, rumors.
7. the space bar is "Freeside" cuz that just seems to make sense.
8. black for molly, silver left and right cuz of her awesome ocular implants, blood red cuz she's a killa

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 July 2014, 21:56:12 by SOLOM »

Offline SOLOM

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 20:11:14 »

Update kanji ginger keys for the windows button.

Offline SOLOM

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 20:12:56 »

Offline SOLOM

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 23:23:13 »

Now with blue nine.

Offline ChillyVanilly

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 00:08:43 »
“The Matrix has its roots in primitive arcade games,' said the voice-over, 'in early graphics programs and military experimentation with cranial jacks.' On the Sony, a two-dimensional space war faded behind a forest of mathematically generated ferns, demonstrating the spatial possibilities of logarithmic spirals; cold blue military footage burned through, lab animals wired into test systems, helmets feeding into fire control circuits of tanks and war planes. 'Cyberspace. A consensual hallucination experienced daily by billions of legitimate operators, in every nation, by children being taught mathematical concepts... A graphic representation of data abstracted from the banks of every computer in the human system. Unthinkable complexity. Lines of light ranged in the nonspace of the mind, clusters and constellations of data. Like city lights, receding...” 

“All the speed he took, all the turns he'd taken and the corners he'd cut in Night City, and still he'd see the matrix in his sleep, bright lattices of logic unfolding across that colorless void...”

“And in the bloodlit dark behind his eyes, silver phosphenes boiled in from the edge of space, hypnagogic images jerking past like a film compiled of random frames. Symbols, figures, faces, a blurred, fragmented mandala of visual information.”

“And the Flatline aligned the nose of Kuang's sting with the center of the dark below. And dove. Case's sensory input warped with their velocity. His mouth filled with an aching taste of blue. His eyes were eggs of unstable crystal, vibrating with a frequency whose name was rain and the sounds of trains, suddenly sprouting a humming forest of hair-fine spines. The spines split, bisected, split again, exponential growth under the dome of the Tessier-Ashpool ice.”

- https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/909457-neuromancer

There's a lot of visual imagery in the book, but I don't think this concept matches it.

edit: these descriptions of cyberspace are too complex to approach, but what would the character's hardware look like? What would make you feel like a decker jacking in? Symbol novelty keys are cool, but they are more like references to the book rather than a holistic presentation that evokes something stronger.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 July 2014, 00:15:28 by ChillyVanilly »

Offline Harrowed

• My wallet has been hacked
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 04:56:12 »
The problem is that if I saw this set somewhere I definitely wouldn't recognize it as Neuromancer set although I've read the book several times. The Neuromancer just doesn't have that strong visual symbols or illustration linked to it.

Ergodox MX Blues | Rosewill RK-9000

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 05:47:55 »
The problem is that if I saw this set somewhere I definitely wouldn't recognize it as Neuromancer set although I've read the book several times. The Neuromancer just doesn't have that strong visual symbols or illustration linked to it.

Might be different if there was a movie, with strong visual themes.

Kinda like the Matrix - there are symbols that most people would recognise from that that you wouldn't get from just reading a book.

Offline admiralvorian

• DIY
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 09:09:13 »
Exactly. Im thinking of a cyberpunk keycap set. SA profile, old school font, anyone fo color ideas? It could be original beige or some crazy color scheme or both.
Darude Status:
☐ Not Sandstorm
☑ Sandstorm                                               wts wtt wtb

Offline SOLOM

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 09:32:37 »
I guess the only visual reference would be Jonny mnemonic and the matrix. the matrix has been done to death. JM is a Gibson story. Back to the drawing board. Thanks for the input everybody. I want to make this happen.

I heard that Liam Neeson is lasted for Armitage in the proposed movie.