Author Topic: Faux-pas to mix different profile keycaps?  (Read 8097 times)

Offline ihatefirewalls

Faux-pas to mix different profile keycaps?
« on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 17:03:52 »
I'm pretty new to custom keycaps and was wondering what you guys thought about mixing different profile keys.

Is it acceptable to mix things like Cherry keys on the function rows with OEM alphanumerics+mods? What about mixing spherical and cylindrical caps?

Any rules you guys generally follow?
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 July 2014, 17:08:04 by ihatefirewalls »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Faux-pas to mix different profile keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 17:18:50 »
A lot of people don't like mixing profiles.

If it is all over the place, like random profiles on different keys, you might find it difficult to type on.  Unergonomic at the very least.

But if you do it row by row with similar profile keycaps - shouldn't be too bad.

I'm not sure about mixing DSA with DCS with SA though - that would stand out a bit!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 17:25:36 »
A different profile spacebar would be acceptable, and different profile (preferably not lower than the rest) escrow keys would also be acceptable
However, those are the only two areas where I would consider mixing profiles.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 17:34:22 »
it's not that bad

DSA and DCS are ok togerther

as are OEM and DCS
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 17:36:00 »
it's not that bad

DSA and DCS are ok togerther

as are OEM and DCS

Depending on where you put them.  In teh same row would be slightly awkward.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ihatefirewalls

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 18:01:41 »
Are arrow keys pretty much free to do anything with?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 18:14:36 »

Up to a point, yes ;)

Ultimately it is your keyboard, and you can do what you like with it.

Offline TheAngleOfDeath

• Math puns are the first sine of madness
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 20:21:11 »

I have a DSA cap on an OEM board for my W key and I really like the different feel of the cap, especially since it's used quite a bit when gaming. As for everyday typing I don't notice the difference when I'm typing. It does make a slightly louder, higher pitched click on MX Blues though.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 20:34:14 »
I was running cherry profile caps other than the bottom row, on which I used OEM profile. I did it so it was easier to reach the keys on the bottom row and because the cherry spacebar was higher than the keys next  and that bothered me. 

Offline Beca

• what am i doing with my life
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 21:14:05 »
it's your own preference. some people like to mix profiles on keys they use exclusively for gaming so that it's easier to rest your fingers on certain keys

Offline thatsalongusername

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 08:58:30 »
I was thinking about buying an old Cherry G80 or G81 to put them on my Filco. If I only put them on the alphabet keys and mixed Cherry and Filco, would that be weird?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 09:02:27 »
I had PBT OEM profile caps on a Leopold FC700R keyboard with the stock PBT caps. The profiles weren't the same so the Alpha keys were much higher than the modifiers or number row. It drove me *insane*. I couldn't hit the numbers and it was so frustrating, I sold the keycap set after using them for a week. I haven't mixed profiles since then.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 10:26:54 »
I had PBT OEM profile caps on a Leopold FC700R keyboard with the stock PBT caps. The profiles weren't the same so the Alpha keys were much higher than the modifiers or number row. It drove me *insane*. I couldn't hit the numbers and it was so frustrating, I sold the keycap set after using them for a week. I haven't mixed profiles since then.

Ya, I tried to mix profiles with mods and alphas.  That lasted all of about 30 seconds.  The bottom row worked because the cherry profile bottom row is super low, so having OEM on the bottom row made things more reachable...

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 12:32:46 »
72131-0
My (Schm)ergoDox was made with two profiles to give a slight dip for the longer fingers compared to the shorter fingers. I was inspired by the Logitech Wave.
The caps are BTC caps in same profile as DCS and WASD custom lasered in OEM profile. I designed the WASD keys to use the same font and font sizes as had been printed on the BTC caps, but I did not get it 100% right on the numeric row. The colours match better in real life than in this photo.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 July 2014, 12:34:38 by Findecanor »

Offline GSimon

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 23:24:02 »
Not necessarily, I actually had a lot of fun with my Cherry/SA key hybrid.

more pics: http://imgur.com/a/5r9Wg

Offline tbc

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 06:00:28 »
dsa with oem on the bottom row.

too awesome.

it keeps you from 'falling off' the bottom of the board.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 06:39:26 »
It is up to you really. I guess the two reasons why people do not like to mix them is because of the inconsistent look and because of the inconsistent feel between the keycaps on the keyboard.

However, it can look and feel decent of you think about where you place them.

Personally I have never done it. Just something that would set off my OCD I guess.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 07:23:43 »

too awesome.

Ya. I was doing the same thing.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 19:59:55 »

too awesome.

Heh your hands would have jump over the hurdle each time to start typing :p

Offline tbc

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 22:26:27 »

too awesome.

Heh your hands would have jump over the hurdle each time to start typing :p

no pain no game! :D
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.