Author Topic: Windows install USB boot drive - How To ?  (Read 2744 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Windows install USB boot drive - How To ?
« on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 08:29:07 »
I feel that the time is coming that I need to refresh my Windows OS install. Perhaps on my kids' computers as well, so I am going to be proactive and get it set up in advance, while everything is working properly.

The clear consensus is that a USB procedure is preferable, but it has never worked successfully for me. As I remember, I usually get partially through the process, maybe even 99.9% there, and receive an error message like: "Something is screwed up and I am giving up. Buh-bye"

Can someone point me to the cleanest and most reliable procedure, preferably one that you have personally used successfully?
Google search produces a hodge-podge of results that do not give me confidence.

I have a couple of good, large, empty USB drives and valid Windows 7 discs.

Theoretically, I would also like to know how to do Windows XP, 98, 3.1, etc, in case I get around to building my retro rig.
I also have DOS 6.22 and a couple of external USB 3.5" floppy drives, if I ever get that far!
[WTB][WTT] Does anybody have a working beige 5.25" floppy drive that they don't want any more?

Lastly, I have had similar troubles with Ubuntu Linux. In the past, I have had successful, long-term dual-boot Windows/Ubuntu setups which I enjoyed and appreciated, but after my last upgrade from XP to 7, I have not had an installation last more than a few days/weeks before becoming corrupted except on my laptop. I have a clean, tested, dedicated hard drive (albeit an older, smaller one that I removed from regular service) on which to install the OS.

Thanks for your help, and pointing me in the right direction.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline twiddle

• Portfolio
Re: Windows install USB boot drive - How To ?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 08:46:35 »
I've used Rufus from http://rufus.akeo.ie with some success for setting the USB drive up, its pretty simple and self-explanatory, but here's a tutorial if you get stuck:
http://www.pallareviews.com/1063/create-a-bootable-usb-drive-for-windows-7-xp/

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 08:59:58 »
There is a utility program that lets you create Windows install USB drives. The Windows 7 USB/DVD Tool. It may only work for Windows 7 though, I have never tried it with another ISO file before.

Link: http://download.cnet.com/Windows-7-USB-DVD-Download-Tool/3000-18513_4-10972600.html
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 09:04:18 »
Thanks for the responses.

Let me ask this: these utilities ask for an .ISO file.

I have the physical DVD and I have wondered whether the problem arose from trying to rip the .ISO from the DVD.

Not sure whether I have a commercial CD/DVD burning program, these days I use CDBurnerXP and/or ImgBurn. Are they up to the task of creating an .ISO?
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 09:08:17 »

I have the physical DVD and I have wondered whether the problem arose from trying to rip the .ISO from the DVD.

Not sure whether I have a commercial CD/DVD burning program, these days I use CDBurnerXP and/or ImgBurn. Are they up to the task?

ImgBurn should work just fine.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 09:11:45 »
There is a utility program that lets you create Windows install USB drives. The Windows 7 USB/DVD Tool. It may only work for Windows 7 though, I have never tried it with another ISO file before.

Link: http://download.cnet.com/Windows-7-USB-DVD-Download-Tool/3000-18513_4-10972600.html

Not sure whether I have a commercial CD/DVD burning program, these days I use CDBurnerXP and/or ImgBurn. Are they up to the task?

ImgBurn should work just fine.

I just re-installed Windows 7 onto my laptop last week (ssd upgrade  ;D) and did exactly this. Made an image of the DVD using ImgBurn, then loaded that ISO onto a flash drive using the Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool then went through the installation like normal.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 July 2014, 09:13:17 by strict »

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 09:17:36 »
Fyi, there are iso's of the install disks online. Just got to google. I'm pretty sure that is completely fine and legal, all you need is a valid key.

Ex: http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/page-2#post-124821

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 10:29:29 »
I use rufus and download the .iso file from some convenient place. rufus handles XP and up quite well. For older versions of windows it gets very complicated.
What I have been doing is I make a bootable usb dos and copy over the Windows 9x files to it, and you must make sure the usb drivers are integrated or you will have problems. Alternately you can clone the dos and setup files partition from the usb over to what will be your target hdd with gparted, reboot and start it from the hdd which can be easier. If you will be using flash disk like cf card, dom or old ssd you really should use clone method so you can ensure the disk is aligned partition correctly since 9x will **** it up and cause disk problems otherwise.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 July 2014, 10:31:28 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 15:17:16 »
Thanks for asking this f.d, and thank you everyone who has responded.

I've tried several methods over the years, and nothing has worked.

Now I have a new procedure to try :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline osi

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 15:44:54 »
tl;dr - tried other USB sticks? In brand, capacity, revision 2.0/3.0

A gotcha to look out for--I have a sandisk extreme USB 3.0. The drive is great and the throughput is more than adequate for me but you have to get a little fancy with diskpart  to jump start the install process.

Otherwise setup will deem your visually perfect partition layout unworthy.

The rage runs deep......

--edit-- Good suggestions for ISO -> USB tools already mentioned. Another is YUMI-- available at pendrivelinux.com.  Very straight forward
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 July 2014, 15:49:28 by osi »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 19:20:43 »
I've been installing from USB for years. I haven't had an optical drive since I think something like 2007. It's certainly gotten easier to do since then. The only real problems I've ever had is with this one PC that refused to recognize usb as bootable unless it was formatted in NTFS... so basically impossible to use any DOS tools, live linux or anything else really on that one. Makes it a real pain in the ass since I use those things a lot for troubleshooting and fixing problems still. I can't recall coming across any usb drives that I couldn't use. Lately I've mostly been using my mushkin atom or Patriot Tab since they are both nice and fast even in 2.0 mode.

Offline osi

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 20:14:24 »
Manufacturers aren't generally doing us any favors here. Rolling your own BIOS <interface> seems to be picking up steam. More bloat and graphics  cludging up the view. Toss in secure boot and UEFI to make things interesting for the pro and novice alike.

Most pre-windows 8 era machines need not worry. Ready to set the net ablaze on the 333mhz?? Windows 98?? SE??? The world is yours

Offline loki993

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 00:36:27 »
I'm not sure who said it was the preferred method. You need program to make the ISO, good luck finding a free one that work's. Gotta hope it doesn't somehow corrupt itself. I tried it the install worked but the computer didn't run right, took forever to boot, crashed multiple drivers. I say if you have a disc use it.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 09:05:21 »
I created a dual-boot windows 7 & Windows 8 AIO (all in one) using YUMI.

Now I recommend using the windows tool, or just running the bootsect utility, as described in this guide. which I have frequently used with much success. Note that I used linux to format the flashdrive instead of the windows command line tools.

I have also used imgburn to make disk images, it seems to work well, but I would just download the proper windows 7 iso from digitalriver (microsoft's official)
http://www.mytechguide.org/10042/windows-7-sp1-iso-download-official-digitalriver-links/

I have a windows 98 installer on a flashdrive currently. I think it might be a pirated copy of W98, since as far as I can tell, it's impossible to get a legit one. As I recall, it wasn't too hard to get on there, I followed a guide online. not sure about MSDOS, but freedos is easy to put on a drive.

If you want to do multiple OS loads with one drive, you may want to get a multiboot installer like YUMI. I never used it much, but the other techs seemed to like having it (I would instead have one drive with the OS and drivers both on it, they would have one drive for the OS and another for drivers. to each their own.)

I've been installing from USB for years. I haven't had an optical drive since I think something like 2007. It's certainly gotten easier to do since then.
So true, I remember loading linux in various ways from USB in 2007. It was fraught with difficulty. First you usually had to run a hybridiso utility, then grab syslinux, then it'd often still fail. Often you had to stop the installation halfway through, drop into console, remount the USB device as the optical drive (usually /dev/sr0) then hope. Things are so much easier now.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 July 2014, 09:10:49 by dorkvader »