Author Topic: Dat MacBook Pro Thread  (Read 7411 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Dat MacBook Pro Thread
« on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 15:55:35 »
Post your MBP questions and answers here. :)

I'll go first:

1. Which one should I get?

2. Should I wait? Is Broadwell really coming soon? Will there be a new 2014 MBP release?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
Re: Dat MacBook Pro Thread
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 16:07:29 »
Make sure to get the best processor you can afford. I got an i7 but at the time they only offered 2.2 ghz :/ but at least it has speedboost or whatever. It's still insanely fast and has never lagged once! I love MacBook pros. Haven't upgraded os since lion, I enjoy it!

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 16:36:55 »
broadwell is suppose to give you  a hardcore 8 hr+ experience..

but overall.. I don't see the appeal..  who uses a laptop for 8 hours ?..  why would you WANT to do that.... 

It isn't really a matter of whether or not you COULD..    it's just insane to torture oneself on a laptop for 8hrs..

when you can just drive home.. get ur **** done on the desktop, and proceed to get drunk...

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 16:39:58 »
Post your MBP questions and answers here. :)

I'll go first:

1. Which one should I get?

All depends on what you're going to be doing with it.

2. Should I wait? Is Broadwell really coming soon? Will there be a new 2014 MBP release?

MacBook Pros with Broadwell likely are not going to release until late-Q1 2015 at the absolute earliest. Summer 2015 is far more likely. Intel just released some new Haswell processors with 200 MHz speed bumps that will likely go into current models to sustain that line until Broadwell.

Bottom line - if you need the computer now, buy it now. If you can afford to wait, wait.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 17:30:29 »
I'd recommend getting a good Thinkpad instead. They have better capabilities and superior build quality compared to a Macbook Pro.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 20:55:34 »
One of the major advantages of the Macbook Pro is resale value, more so than any Windows computer.  I sold my 2-year-old Macbook Pro 15" for $900 or so earlier in the year.  So you can be confident that buying a Macbook Pro will allow you sell it for a decent price if you want to get a new computer a couple years down the road.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:11:54 »
Well, if money is a big part of the equation, buying a new computer is never a good idea. The best computers to invest in are old computers, as they have very limited capability for depreciation. I could buy a Pentium 4 Dell for $40, use it for a few years, and then sell it for $20. And then I could upgrade to a Core 2 for $40. I think being about 7-8 years behind current computer technology is the sweet spot.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:16:32 »
Well, if money is a big part of the equation, buying a new computer is never a good idea. The best computers to invest in are old computers, as they have very limited capability for depreciation. I could buy a Pentium 4 Dell for $40, use it for a few years, and then sell it for $20. And then I could upgrade to a Core 2 for $40. I think being about 7-8 years behind current computer technology is the sweet spot.

ah... 7-8 years is stillll OK.. if you count overclocking...

but if you're just gonna roll a stock c2d... that's a bit sluggish.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:18:04 »
"have very limited capability for depreciation" - I like that bit, it sounds like most of my hardware!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:23:49 »
One of the major advantages of the Macbook Pro is resale value, more so than any Windows computer.  I sold my 2-year-old Macbook Pro 15" for $900 or so earlier in the year.  So you can be confident that buying a Macbook Pro will allow you sell it for a decent price if you want to get a new computer a couple years down the road.

No way bro..

THe initial cost of mac book is still way too high relative to same spec machines from ghetto brands..

U can get second highest i7 mobile cpu from toshiba or asus, @ $700-800..  in a macbook, it'd be at least $2000

The only LEGIT reason to get a macbook.. is for the fashion

-deleted

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:30:10 »

No way bro..

THe initial cost of mac book is still way too high relative to same spec machines from ghetto brands..

U can get second highest i7 mobile cpu from toshiba or asus, @ $700-800..  in a macbook, it'd be at least $2000

The only LEGIT reason to get a macbook.. is for the fashion, and if you're really ugly, and you need some (rich *****)-swagger to make up for it..

This is the truth... !!    the average person who owns a macbook is ugly..

don't believe me?,   next time u see a macbook owner... look him square in the eye, and witness his sadness and insecurity..

I dunno man, lots of cute chicks with macbooks at my university...

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:32:11 »
I've seen even more cute chicks who use Windows 98.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:36:42 »

No way bro..

The only LEGIT reason to get a macbook.. is for the fashion

-deleted

I dunno man, lots of cute chicks with macbooks at my university...

females don't count...

they're slaves to fashion...  they don't even care if the machine turns on.. it just has to be fashionable.. look at high heels. clearly they don't care about function..   

-deleted

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 22:45:27 »
I'm about to comment something, but I'm ugly :(
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 22:59:45 »
sry guys, i didn't mean for the comment to offensive.. now that I read it.. it's awful..

I only meant that from a hardware perspective,  performance/ price..   macbook is not justified, this including resell value..

I edited my previous post..

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 01:03:00 »
Magnetic USB Port, best invention ever. That alone has me love my Macbook.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 01:11:52 »
Magnetic USB Port, best invention ever. That alone has me love my Macbook.

My rice cooker had this way way wayyy before macbooks had it..

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 01:13:26 »
Yeah but my dell, my wifes dell, her parents pc laptops usb ports all stop working and the cords wont stay in, so annoying.
Any PC laptops with magnetic usb ports yet? Not dissing on PC, just curious? I love my PC Desktop. I just love macbooks for their build.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 01:15:20 »
Yeah but my dell, my wifes dell, her parents pc laptops usb ports all stop working and the cords wont stay in, so annoying.
Any PC laptops with magnetic usb ports yet? Not dissing on PC, just curious? I love my PC Desktop. I just love macbooks for their build.

what do you mean magnetic usb ports?

do you mean the magsafe power port?

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 01:16:03 »

Yes that is it!

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 01:19:25 »

Yes that is it!

it's not been a priority but since apple patented it... you can't just use it on your laptops..

Offline blackbox

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 01:23:10 »
I do not think there is one. But maybe you could do something like this :p:

http://www.xodustech.com/projects/asus-zenbook-magsafe
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 01:24:14 »

Oooo very nice thanks! Im getting sick of the cords falling out of her machine.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 01:50:05 »

Oooo very nice thanks! Im getting sick of the cords falling out of her machine.

NP, the next step is to have  magsafe on your stationary pc....
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 07:42:13 »
I believe I have seen a magnetic power cord on one of those new ultra book things.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 08:14:19 »

That's why I always get refurbs.  pretty much never buy new.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 08:31:14 »

That's why I always get refurbs.  pretty much never buy new.

Wait, so I should get a refurbished one? Hmmm, hadn't thought of that.

Do you guys recommend the 15" or the 13" model?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 08:39:03 »
Wait, so I should get a refurbished one? Hmmm, hadn't thought of that.

Do you guys recommend the 15" or the 13" model?

Refurbished Macs purchased from Apple carry the same warranty as new machines and are also eligible for the AppleCare extended warranty. If you elect to purchase a MacBook Pro with Retina Display, I would strongly suggest AppleCare because parts are extraordinarily expensive. It can be added at any time during the first year of ownership. The effective date is retroactive to when you purchased it. So if you bought a Mac on July 31, 2014, you have until July 30, 2015, to buy AppleCare. When you do, your warranty is extended until July 30, 2017. You also don't need to buy AppleCare from Apple. Authorized retailers such as B&H Photo and Video sell it at a significant discount. Apple charges $349 + tax. I paid $244 out the door from B&H to extend my 15-inch MacBook Pro. The MacBook Air and 13-inch Pro models cost less.

But again, I ask, what exactly do you plan to do on the Mac? This will help in knowing whether you should go with a 13- or 15-inch model.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 08:48:56 »
But again, I ask, what exactly do you plan to do on the Mac? This will help in knowing whether you should go with a 13- or 15-inch model.

Oh, sorry. Really my use case for this comes down to general internet browsing, Skype, and a bit of light-duty 2D CAD using QCAD. I plan to connect it to an external monitor when at home, which is where I would be doing most of the CAD work. So I don't need a beast of a machine, but not exactly a lightweight either.

in memoriam

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 08:52:54 »

Oh, sorry. Really my use case for this comes down to general internet browsing, Skype, and a bit of light-duty 2D CAD using QCAD. I plan to connect it to an external monitor when at home, which is where I would be doing most of the CAD work. So I don't need a beast of a machine, but not exactly a lightweight either.

For Internet browsing and CAD, a good Pentium III laptop with Windows 2000 can go a long ways.

Advertisement

10 celebs who owe their
smiles to WINDOWS 98...

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 09:45:31 »

Then I would recommend this. Though it is last year's model, it will be more than powerful enough for your needs. It uses the 3rd-generation Core i5 processor (Ivy Bridge), but it's a standard full-voltage notebook CPU rather than the ultra-low-voltage Core i5 4th-generation i5 (Haswell) that powers the current line of 13-inch rMBPs. Another advantage to the older models is that their SSDs are more easily upgradable. Current models use PCI-Express storage, which is faster than the older SATA drives, but no 3rd parties are making replacements. For the older systems, you can buy larger drives from Other World Computing and Transcend. The latter company uses a more reliable controller and offers capacities up to 960 GB.

If you have any other questions, feel free to send me a PM if you don't want to wade through the trolling from the GH doofus brigade.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 09:49:14 »

Then I would recommend this. Though it is last year's model, it will be more than powerful enough for your needs. It uses the 3rd-generation Core i5 processor (Ivy Bridge), but it's a standard full-voltage notebook CPU rather than the ultra-low-voltage Core i5 4th-generation i5 (Haswell) that powers the current line of 13-inch rMBPs. Another advantage to the older models is that their SSDs are more easily upgradable. Current models use PCI-Express storage, which is faster than the older SATA drives, but no 3rd parties are making replacements. For the older systems, you can buy larger drives from Other World Computing and Transcend. The latter company uses a more reliable controller and offers capacities up to 960 GB.

If you have any other questions, feel free to send me a PM if you don't want to wade through the trolling from the GH doofus brigade.

Thanks for the recommendation! That helps me a lot, actually. :)

in memoriam

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 12:57:56 »

Yea, when I bought my Macbook Pro earlier this year, I was bouncing between the Early 2013 model and Late 2013 model because the former had an upgradable SSD.  But I ultimately went with Late 2013 because it had better graphics, more battery life, and was just tad smaller.  And for the specs I was looking at, the prices were not significantly different.  I figured that I would not need more than 256GB SSD, and paying the premium for an aftermarket 500GB to pop into the Early 2013 model was not worth it to me.

Anyways, TMI, that was just my buying thought process.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 13:06:23 »

dual core i5  for $1266

when you can get a Quad core i7  from asus, with a way better GPU for $800  sigh....

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 13:35:29 »

dual core i5  for $1266

when you can get a Quad core i7  from asus, with a way better GPU for $800  sigh....

Yet another reason to use Windows instead of CRAPPLE Macintrash.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 14:45:47 »

dual core i5  for $1266

Yet another reason to use Windows instead of CRAPPLE Macintrash.

It comes down to.. 

Would you rather have a Mercedes Engine in a Camry  or a Camry Engine in a Mercedes...

That's the realistic situation, EVEN if you are buying the highest end macbook, because it doesn't have the best CPU..   

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 15:10:34 »
I was about to recommend against refurb from personal experience...but then a funny thing happened.  This is only barely on topic but I really want to tell someone :S.

Basically like 6 months ago when I was playing a game on my laptop it blue screened and after coming back on the backlight would cut out in anything other than bios(tried ubuntu and win7).  My first thought was bad inverter or backlight and kinda just put it away until I decided to try and fix it (warranty just ran out).  I took it apart fully about 3 weeks ago in hopes that it was a loose wire or something and no luck.  At that time I also found out I'm an idiot and my LED screen didn't even have an inverter.  So basically at this point I assume I just need to buy a new screen. 

In last hopes today I search for more about the problem and 1 result out of like 20 had a similar problem(also thinking it was screen problem).  He said he somehow fixed it by resetting bios twice and then it worked.  I figured theres no ****ing way resetting bios would do it especially since I didnt change anything since I got the computer (long before bsod which caused the problem).  Reset once...still problem.  Reset twice and **** me that fixed it.  WHY THE HELL DID THAT WORK?! 

I assumed this whole time either the mobo or screen died because it was a refurb (which also had a shorter warranty) but I guess I was wrong.

But more on topic I probably wouldn't go with a macbook just because they're so expensive for what you get.  I'm pretty sure even a chromebook can run CAD now because of the cloud version they have.
GON NS 87 62g clears, QFR 62g clears, Pure 65g blues, HHKB Pro II

Offline blackbox

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 15:20:34 »
I was about to recommend against refurb from personal experience...but then a funny thing happened.  This is only barely on topic but I really want to tell someone :S.

Basically like 6 months ago when I was playing a game on my laptop it blue screened and after coming back on the backlight would cut out in anything other than bios(tried ubuntu and win7).  My first thought was bad inverter or backlight and kinda just put it away until I decided to try and fix it (warranty just ran out).  I took it apart fully about 3 weeks ago in hopes that it was a loose wire or something and no luck.  At that time I also found out I'm an idiot and my LED screen didn't even have an inverter.  So basically at this point I assume I just need to buy a new screen. 

In last hopes today I search for more about the problem and 1 result out of like 20 had a similar problem(also thinking it was screen problem).  He said he somehow fixed it by resetting bios twice and then it worked.  I figured theres no ****ing way resetting bios would do it especially since I didnt change anything since I got the computer (long before bsod which caused the problem).  Reset once...still problem.  Reset twice and **** me that fixed it.  WHY THE HELL DID THAT WORK?! 

I assumed this whole time either the mobo or screen died because it was a refurb (which also had a shorter warranty) but I guess I was wrong.

But more on topic I probably wouldn't go with a macbook just because they're so expensive for what you get.  I'm pretty sure even a chromebook can run CAD now because of the cloud version they have.

Great story xenderwind! Just curious which modell was it? On topic, I do agree that asus has modell whit much better price to performance on the hardware side. We do not know if OP is willing to change his ecosystem and neither did he ask for it.  :)

The LAN table!

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 15:24:58 »
Great story xenderwind! Just curious which modell was it? On topic, I do agree that asus has modell whit much better price to performance on the hardware side. We do not know if OP is willing to change his ecosystem and neither did he ask for it.  :)
A lenovo z585.  Not even a mac...guess I should have specified that lol.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 15:26:39 »
A lenovo z585.  Not even a mac...guess I should have specified that lol.

I guessed it was not a Mac. Can't really do much in the bios on a macbook.:-)

The LAN table!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 15:26:57 »
We do not know if OP is willing to change his ecosystem and neither did he ask for it.  :)

Actually, I'm looking FOR a change of ecosystem, and that's why I'm looking at getting a MBP. I've been using Windows and Linux desktops and laptops for many, many years now, and I really want to try using a Mac. I like the industrial design of them, and I especially like that they now use Intel processors and have Unix code underlying the MacOS. The last time I used a Mac for any length of time was in the early '90s, at my first job out of high school.

I currently own:
Lenovo T41
Acer Aspire 17"
Acer C710 Chromebook (My Cr48 died)
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 July 2014, 15:31:40 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline blackbox

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 15:32:13 »
We do not know if OP is willing to change his ecosystem and neither did he ask for it.  :)

Actually, I'm looking FOR a change of ecosystem, and that's why I'm looking at getting a MBP. I've been using Windows and Linux desktops and laptops for many, many years now, and I really want to try using a Mac. I like the industrial design of them, and I especially like that they now use Intel processors and have Unix code underlying the MacOS. The last time I used a Mac for any length of time was in the early '90s, at my first job out of high school.

I currently own:
Lenovo T41
Acer _____ 17"

I see. Hackintosh with the t41 then? Have an IBM t41 running Debian. Very nice laptop. When it was new.

The LAN table!

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 15:42:14 »

I currently own:
Lenovo T41
Acer Aspire 17"
I dont know if I would want to spend the money just to try a mac, but if you have the money I guess it's up to you.  I'm sure you can either borrow one from a friend or hackintosh. Or maybe just buy one from bestbuy and return it if you don't like it.  Pretty sure my friend did that with a laptop from there a couple years ago.  Though I'm not sure the details on all that.

I've never liked macs from when I've used them but that's also cause I hate learning new UI and stuff.  Same reason I can't do the buttons thing on win 7 or the win 8 ui.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 16:07:32 »

I currently own:
Lenovo T41
Acer Aspire 17"

Macos has linux... but you can also.. you know.. just dual boot REAL-linux and windowz on regular laptop

The mac has a n00b friendly UI, which is completely useless to a seasoned Computer-guy, after the first 10 minutes of novelty..

so... what do you get for $2000..

You get to impress low income people who think macs is some sort of social status symbol.

You get to look like a tool in front of other seasoned (geeks)

All middle income people remain unimpressed..

All high income people think u probably could've gotten more returns for your cash elsewhere. (not necessarily a computer)

All Super Rich people still see you as an Ant who now happens to own an aluminum block, to which you're doing work on , FOR THEM... hahahahahah

Those are the external perspectives... 

NOW...  You must determine if your individual Conviction is significantly Greater than the less than favorable externality.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 16:49:44 »

I currently own:
Lenovo T41
Acer Aspire 17"

In my experience, Macbooks and the Mac OS just seems to work.  Rarely any hangups, crashes, viruses, the machine does not slowly fall apart on you, none of the stuff that I have experienced with Windows machines.  Everybody knows you can get a Windows laptop for a lower price with better specs, but they just do not seem to work as smoothly and the machines don't feel as well built.  You pay a premium for a Mac and the Mac OS, and I think the usual lack of hassle is worth it.

However, Macs are not tinkerer friendly.  The newer machines are coming with more components soldered in and cannot be easily replaced.  I think they want to force you to buy a new machine when you want to upgrade your device, not just switch out the parts.  It's probably the same reason they do not have SD card slots on their phone.  That lack of flexibility dissuades me from buying more of their products.

Plus you can get some decent 13" Macbook refurbs for less than $1500.  The 15" are the ones that get expensive.

The amazing thing about the Mac OS is how little has changed with the user interface over the years.  I got my hands on the second version of the Macintosh, the 512K, running one of the early versions of the Mac OS, and it's amazing how easy it was to use the OS without any prior experience.  The user interface for Mac OS was designed right the first time.  With Windows 8, I needed a training manual.  Keep it simple for all of us stupids, please.

Call me a fanboy or whatever, but I just prefer the ease of the Mac OS.  I actually got rid of my iPhone for an Android, simply because the features offered in the current lineup of Android phones are better for a cheaper price.  But the Mac iOS is so much easier to navigate than whatever bloatware-filled slop Google is pumping out.

All that said, I really want to learn Linux so I can use something more friendly to tinkerers.

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 03:03:58 »
I believe I have seen a magnetic power cord on one of those new ultra book things.

I believe Surface got those magnetic things?
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline blackbox

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 04:09:56 »

I believe Surface got those magnetic things?

Yup, youre right. Not really a laptop and I have doubt's if its going to support hackintosh :-P

http://www.wpcentral.com/surface-pro-3-new-and-improved-ac-connector

The LAN table!

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 04:57:02 »
I like to think of Surface more as a ultrabook than a tablet, for what it can do.
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 04:58:26 »
I like to think of Surface more as a ultrabook than a tablet, for what it can do.

I don't like to think of Surface :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 05:03:09 »
Haha, I think that was just a matter of taste :)) I love its build quality and appearance, I would recommend it for my friends who ask for a uktrabook advice. For me, I'm not really like Windows things any more, except the Lumia phones :p
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again