Author Topic: Typing with keyboard on the lap  (Read 14427 times)

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
Typing with keyboard on the lap
« on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 18:34:08 »
I heard if you're doing that, you'll have to hover your hand and not rest it, as you'll contract some joint and nerve sickness of sorts?

also, is typing with long fingernails a good thing?

Offline jacobolus

Re: Typing with keyboard on the lap
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 19:00:51 »
A lap is usually an okay height, though I like to sit on a chair high enough that my thighs are angled slightly downward, whereupon my lap isn’t flat enough to fit a keyboard. Slightly above the lap might be even a bit more comfortable, but it depends on your body and your chair/desk setup.

What you want is to have your wrist in as straight and neutral a position as possible, and ideally also elbows that aren’t bent into too acute an angle. I find that having a keyboard at about hip level or slightly above is pretty comfortable. You’re right that your hands should in general be “hovering” above the keyboard, instead of putting weight on your wrists/palms. In particular having your wrists on a table and reaching up to type on the keyboard puts them under a lot of strain.

Also, you want your display to be directly in front of your face, so that you can look straight ahead at it without bending your neck too much – laptops make it very difficult to get into a position that’s comfortable for both hands and neck.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 19:39:00 »
When I'm typing like mad during NaNoWriMo, my keyboard is in my lap. That way my arms are at rest, and I just have to hold up my wrists ...  I guess. Also, when playing FPS games I have the keyboard at the edge of my lap, and the trackball (thumb trackball, thank you very much) on my lap but closer in.

I find the average desk height to be wrong for serious typing, although for manipulating menus (Alt+N, ESC, and that's about it) that it's easier if the keyboard isn't restricting my posture...but that does mean I'm sorta slouched over the chair, or the desk -- whichever's easier.

Now that I have a working ergodox, I find that laptop typing is much harder, although with a short length of 1x6 I can still type my novels in my conventional arrangement.

In short: I'm actually really surprised lap-typing isn't more common. Its just so comfortable ... once you make sure the keyboard isn't going anywhere! I'd never own a laptop for that reason. Too hard to type on it, all the way around.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 19:42:56 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline hoggy

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 23:54:57 »
I find it pretty comfortable.  If you alternate it with it on your desk I don't see any problems.  It's a pain to reach for your mouse if that's on the desk, though.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 01:06:19 »
ah i found the injury's name, carpal tunnel syndrome.

i heard keyboard on the lap is called the "russian style"?

carpal tunnel syndrome seems REALLY scary

and thank you rowdy for providing the links!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 02:04:00 »
Yes, repetitive strain injuries are scary serious business. If you start feeling numbness, pain, or discomfort in your fingers or wrists, you should definitely try changing your environment or routine to avoid injury.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 13:32:52 »
I type with a keyboard on my thighs quite often. It's great, because I can recline, keep my wrists straight (I do float them) and elbows around 110° angle.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 23:40:29 »
I type with keyboard and mouse in my lap for many years.  It is the correct way.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 14:46:54 »
I prefer to have my keyboard and mouse on a level surface, preferably a desk.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 15:25:30 »
Discussions about typing with long fingernails:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=7267.0
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41079.0

Such in-depth discussions about nails! Who knew! I have very long nails and I type just fine, they have never bothered me. I do have one exception, and that is my index fingernails are cut very short. This is out of necessity, not because of annoyance. If I don't keep them cut short then grow in very curled and end up hurting my fingertip. That is because with my index finger I don't hit the key with the pad of my finger, but use the very tip. I actually never realized why this happened until right now, as I was paying attention to my typing patterns. You discover something new everyday.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 19:39:15 »
The major issue that I can see occurring is wrist pain from having the keyboard on your lap.  Also, my shoulders are kinda cramped.  I think you you hover for hands over the keyboard rather than resting your palms on your lap as well, like others have mentioned, it will prevent a lot of wrist pain from developing.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline anowt

• "I want you to buckle my spring" ♪♪~
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 23:27:45 »
I heard if you're doing that, you'll have to hover your hand and not rest it, as you'll contract some joint and nerve sickness of sorts?

i have an apple bluetooth keyboard that i like using when i'm laying down. it's comfortable, imo. i just sort of put it on a pillow, or place it on college binder (hard body) so it's not directly resting on my lap (i don't ever have it resting directly on my lap). I like the angle of a college binder since I type like a t-rex.

about the fingernails - since i have long fingernails on one of my hands for playing guitar, my fingernail sometimes slides off the key. but this happens at above 65gram force. lighter keys you can just type directly with the fingernail. which is kind of what i do anyway. error rate is 5% +/- a few. so no worries.
Front Line: IBM Model M SSK
Tactical Team: QFR TKL (MX Blue)
Recon: KUL ES-87 (MX Red)
Special Operations: RF 87U 55g

Offline islisis

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 14:55:34 »
i can't wait for the day when we can call up a keyboard from the electrical response of contact to the thighs directly (^^)

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 05:11:36 »
i was more worried about my fingernails scratching keycaps. :-( would that happen?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 05:13:11 »
i was more worried about my fingernails scratching keycaps. :-( would that happen?

Scratching?  No.

Over time you would probably wear down ABS keycaps faster if you keep rubbing your fingernails on them.

There are threads about typing with long fingernails btw :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 05:28:52 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 05:33:27 »
Show Image

So it depends on what type of keyboard you are typing on :p

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 05:45:40 »
Show Image

So it depends on what type of keyboard you are typing on :p

:))
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 05:48:52 »

Scratching?  No.

Over time you would probably wear down ABS keycaps faster if you keep rubbing your fingernails on them.

There are threads about typing with long fingernails btw :)
haha i read a couple of them, but they mentioned little about nails scratching keycaps :(

thanks everyone anyway!

Offline Altis

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 11:58:22 »
I tend to type with the keyboard on my lap, but right at the end towards my knees. I find I can keep my wrists straight (so long as my elbows are tucked in). Also, when I do rest my wrists, my whole forearm is resting on my legs so the weight is significantly reduced.

Overall, for long typing periods, I will do long stretches this way as I find it seems to be the least wearing on the body.

It also tends to make keyboards sound even more crisp!
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 09:44:15 »

you? long fingernails? I don't remember seeing them on you.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 11:39:30 »

you? long fingernails? I don't remember seeing them on you.
haha i started keeping them long the last i saw you :P