Author Topic: NIB Wang 724 (725-3770) Kingsaver keycap donors with black Alps switches, $125  (Read 10844 times)

Offline jacobolus

Bob Tibetts of http://www.northgate-keyboard-repair.com has 18 NIB Wang 724 (model 725-3770) keyboards with black Alps switches and PBT dye-sub keycaps, the type of keyboard you need caps from for a Kingsaver. I know there have been several people looking for one; if you can’t find one cheaper or want NIB keycaps, these are $125 each + shipping (~$20 to CA; probably cheaper to the east coast).

Just call him to buy one.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Below are his photos of them:

Offline tuantruong

Great find, thanks for the info guys. Now I can get my Kingsaver finished.  ^-^
Just purchased one from him, great communication. He will ship out the keyboards today if you make the payment right away, so getting them on Monday would be possible.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 July 2014, 06:18:04 by tuantruong »

Offline jacobolus

Awesome. Post some pics once your KingSaver is assembled. :-)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Oh man.  This makes me want to get these + a Kingsaver......    :eek:   Great find indeed.   :thumb:

Offline jacobolus

This makes me want to get these + a Kingsaver......
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59861.0

Below are his photos of them:
It’s too bad his camera white balance is so far off. These are PBT caps, so there won’t be any yellowing, etc.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 July 2014, 01:03:20 by jacobolus »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
This makes me want to get these + a Kingsaver......
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59861.0

I know, I've already PMed inquiring....   :))   With these easily available caps, it's really a no-brainer.   :thumb:

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
It's definitely one way to get caps for a Kingsaver, but I wouldn't call it a great deal $150 (including shipping) for the board with Black Alps is overpriced, even though it is NIB.  I hit him up two weeks ago to see his pricing and was scared off by it.

Offline jacobolus

Well, it’s a “great find” in the sense that otherwise these keycaps can be hard to find at all. It’s not necessarily the fairest price, but people with KingSavers don’t have too many choices.

By the way, anyone who wants to buy one of these and use the keycaps for a KingSaver (presumably with some other Alps switches), I’d love to buy the extra NIB black Alps switches off you (hopefully for pretty cheap, maybe <$30 or something?). (a) I’m going to make some kind of Alps switch tester within the next few months to set off on a tour, and I don’t have any black Alps switches to include, and (b) I’d like to measure some brand new condition black Alps switches on HaaTa’s force gauge and compare with other types of Alps switches.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
It's definitely one way to get caps for a Kingsaver, but I wouldn't call it a great deal $150 (including shipping) for the board with Black Alps is overpriced, even though it is NIB.  I hit him up two weeks ago to see his pricing and was scared off by it.

Are there better deals for keycaps with an equivalent layout?  As you know, I'm an Alps noob.

By the way, anyone who wants to buy one of these and use the keycaps for a KingSaver (presumably with some other Alps switches), I’d love to buy the extra NIB black Alps switches off you (hopefully for pretty cheap, maybe <$30 or something?). (a) I’m going to make some kind of Alps switch tester within the next few months to set off on a tour, and I don’t have any black Alps switches to include, and (b) I’d like to measure some brand new condition black Alps switches on HaaTa’s force gauge and compare with other types of Alps switches.

This would certainly help reduce the impact of the cost.   :thumb:

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder

Are there better deals for keycaps with an equivalent layout?  As you know, I'm an Alps noob.

I think the SGI Granite keycaps will more or less fit, but it's not ideal because of mod sizing, or something like that. Also the Wang 724 caps are the only dyesub PBT caps that fit the Kingsaver that I know of.

I bought a used 724 from an electronics surplus place I found a couple days ago, haven't seen any pics of it so I'm hoping it's in decent shape. I'll be pretty disappointed if it's super yellow or missing caps, but I only payed $40 shipped so I can't complain too much.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 July 2014, 19:48:03 by ComradeSniper »

Offline intelli78

I think the SGI Granite keycaps will more or less fit, but it's not ideal because of mod sizing, or something like that. Also the Wang 724 caps are the only dyesub PBT caps that fit the Kingsaver that I know of.

Right. I like to use a mix of Wang and SGI Granite. In particular you gotta use Wang caps for right shift, enter, and other keys on the right side of the alphanumerics or you'll have gaps. And then you'll want to do the left side toofor symmetry.

The Wang keys are slightly longer than normal.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline nuclearsandwich

I bought a used 724 from an electronics surplus place I found a couple days ago, haven't seen any pics of it so I'm hoping it's in decent shape. I'll be pretty disappointed if it's super yellow or missing caps, but I only payed $40 shipped so I can't complain too much.

PBT doesn't yellow the way ABS does so your only worry on the yellowing front will be the case and spacebar.

Offline jacobolus

The Wang is the only keyboard with a wacky-extra-long backspace/backslash/return/right shift that anyone knows about. (There may be others, but the SGI is not one of them.)

Offline dorkvader

http://www.tweakedproducts.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=79
not bad.

same guy who sold these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wang-724-Keyboard-New-Mint-725-3770-w-cable-wire-cord-/130373343813

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
not bad.

same guy who sold these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wang-724-Keyboard-New-Mint-725-3770-w-cable-wire-cord-/130373343813

They're all out, at least were when they got back to me on 7/13.  I'd be annoyed if that's where ComradeSniper got his (though I'm glad he did get one).  It all worked out for me, but it would still be annoying. 

Offline dorkvader

not bad.

same guy who sold these:

They're all out, at least were when they got back to me on 7/13.  I'd be annoyed if that's where ComradeSniper got his (though I'm glad he did get one).  It all worked out for me, but it would still be annoying. 

are you sure it wasn't this one?
http://www.tweakedproducts.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=69

It shows out of stock.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
are you sure it wasn't this one?
http://www.tweakedproducts.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=69

It shows out of stock.

Absolutely postive.  I hit them up about this link and they told me "I no do not have anymore wang 724 keyboards, sorry".

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
not bad.

same guy who sold these:

I tried to make an account on there to place an order for one and the state dropdown box was blank, so I couldn't register. I called and emailed them and got no reply (that was about a week ago now). Mine came from here.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Same thing happened to me. 

How'd you find that other site?

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
Total luck. Happened to stumble across it in a google search for a 725-3770 and I gave them a call. Apparently that link is multiple years old and wasn't even supposed to be up anymore. but the customer service rep told me that they still had some wang keyboards lying around so she'd look through them and see if they had a 724. A day later I got a call back saying that they did indeed have one  :D

Offline dorkvader

I think the AT&T 305E keyboard they have is a model M.
The 305B sure is.

Time to raid their inventory for cheap rare stuff.

(note the burroughs is not hall effect)

Way to go on the research comradesniper! I love it when a well-researched find pays off. I got a $30 hall effect KB from 1976 that way once (another person got a NIB industrial M for $60)

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
Just noticed--that inventory list says that at one point they had 228 Zenith ZKB-2Rs. That's a lot of linear alps  :))

Offline dorkvader

Just noticed--that inventory list says that at one point they had 228 Zenith ZKB-2Rs. That's a lot of linear alps  :))

I saw that as well, but I didn't mention it in my e-mail (alps are still kinda meh for me).

I would also like to note that the IBM 0029 keyboards correspond to the part number of a replacement keycap for said IBM 029 cardpunch. Took me a while to download a PDF viewer that does OCR for me so I could search it the IBM 029 maintenance manual.

There is at least one keyboard on that list that I'm interested in. We'll see if they still have.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
I would also like to note that the IBM 0029 keyboards correspond to the part number of a replacement keycap for said IBM 029 cardpunch. Took me a while to download a PDF viewer that does OCR for me so I could search it the IBM 029 maintenance manual.

:eek:  This is of great interest to me.  They sell replacements??

Offline dorkvader

They got back to me

That list was from 2001 J

The 029 is an IBM punch machine.  All I seem to have left are multiples of one keycap, but they are new.

We are sorting the IBM keyboards today, and I will let you know.

So they do have some replacement keycaps (all one type thouhg) for an IBM 029 cardpunch. I suspect they'll fit on a selectric and probably a beam.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator

They got back to me

That list was from 2001 J

The 029 is an IBM punch machine.  All I seem to have left are multiples of one keycap, but they are new.

We are sorting the IBM keyboards today, and I will let you know.

So they do have some replacement keycaps (all one type thouhg) for an IBM 029 cardpunch. I suspect they'll fit on a selectric and probably a beam.

But this is confusing.  The IBM 029 keycaps aren't just caps, they also have a big metal stick out the bottom that hooks into the lever the leads to the back.  I'm not aware of a way to remove just the cap.  So they're selling the entire switch thing?  In order to remove a single switch I would have to disassemble the entire keyboard.   :confused:   Unless we are talking about different things?

Also, this is really off topic (sorry!), so we should take this to PMs.   :thumb:
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 July 2014, 17:50:36 by HoffmanMyster »

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
Got my wang today from the link I posted a few posts up.

Only the "HELP" keycap (the upper-leftmost cap on the board) is missing, and the spacebar is only a little bit yellow. Plus, it has salmon alps!

Offline intelli78

Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.