Author Topic: KTOD - Endgame Keyboards?  (Read 24873 times)

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
Re: KTOD - Endgame Keyboards?
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 03:31:34 »
this with 55G weight and blank white/grey keycaps

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 03:40:27 »
The "game" to me is that of buying, trying and selling keyboards.  Preferably as many different keyboards as money permits in order to gain as much experience with different keyboards, different layouts, different switches and different keycaps as possible.

The "endgame keyboard" would be the most preferred combination of these that I would settle on after time.

For me, I say it would be a 55g Topre TKL board (e.g. RealForce 87U).  Yellow keycaps.  Aluminium case.

Maybe it won't!

I have not tried 55g Topre, but I love my HHKB, and prefer stiffer switches, so I'm guessing I'd prefer 55g Topre.

I have never used a keyboard in an aluminium case.  Model M is probably the heaviest keyboard I have, but still plastic case.

A transparent yellow Skull on Esc would be the icing on the cake :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dante

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 08:13:35 »
Right now ... it's a toss up between the Topre Type Heaven and Matias Quiet Pro.

I like the Matias because the Alps have shorter throw.  I like the Topre Type Heaven because of the profile and aesthetics.

I think I'll get one of my Type Heavens lubed/silenced and see what happens.  It's already quiet enough but I want rings to shorten the throw closer to membrane standards.

I guess the perfect board would be a Type Heaven with around 3.5-3.6mm throw.

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 09:03:49 »
The Dell Y-UK-DEL1.

Show Image

Cheap
Dedicated media controls
Clicky volume knob
USB ports in back
Wide space bar
Browser/email/calculator/etc. buttons
Thin bezel
Looks nice
Pad printed keycaps show only slight wear after using them for like 15 years

Lubed the caps on one of these for the lulz.  Not bad considering board + lube runs you less than $15.

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 12:21:23 »
I picked up my "endgame" 55g Realforce from EK last night. Hopefully, my Topre thirst gets quenched as a result. Cheers, all  ;)
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 13:33:20 »
If buckling springs were things that I could use for a custom layout, I would have included that in my endgame. But I decided to be slightly realistic.

wcass turned an XT F into a TKL board. Someone else has as well. You can definitely customize your layout a bit with BS boards.

Not sure if there is a market for split spacebar BS.... But if it is possible I will drop all the moneys.
There may have existed a split-spacebar erase-eaze. I've never seen a picture of one other than a scan of a lexmark catalogue.

In the meantime, you can put the "code" key and spacebar from a wheelwriter on a normal M.

I don't have an "endgame" but there are several keyboards I want that I do not have. One of them is the 107-key "administrative" model of the IBM 4704 keyboard (called the 4704-400. They are quite rare now that south texas products threw away their entire stock for scrap.

Offline divito

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 13:51:23 »
The Dell Y-UK-DEL1.

Show Image

Cheap
Dedicated media controls
Clicky volume knob
USB ports in back
Wide space bar
Thin bezel
Looks nice

Almost need to interest check a PCB for this and re-create a mechanical version.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 22:27:40 »
The Dell Y-UK-DEL1.

Show Image

Cheap
Dedicated media controls
Clicky volume knob
USB ports in back
Wide space bar
Thin bezel
Looks nice

This was the exact board I had before I got my first mech board. I left it at home when I went away to school (September). When I came back (December), it was torturous to use. Only thing I miss about it is the volume knob.

What made it torturous?  The only thing I can think of is that they keys can bind slightly when pressed off-center.  I use Cherry ML switches a lot so I got used to pressing keys in the center and it's not a problem for me.

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 22:34:48 »
I would like a fully programmable topre board. That would be my endgame keyboard. I'm switching back and forth between my FC660C and my GON NS38 just for that reason. I think I'm probably just gonna try and find some good key remapping software to work around it.

Keep the dream alive. http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=57008.0

Offline osi

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 23:18:32 »
The Dell Y-UK-DEL1.

Show Image

Cheap
Dedicated media controls
Clicky volume knob
USB ports in back
Wide space bar
Thin bezel
Looks nice

Used a few of these over the past years back when dell was flying high.

Funny thing though, had one of these die at my house and ran into another model on the job from a completely different batch died the same way. Certain keys failed to register. Twas odd

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 23:27:55 »
I think for many of the HHKB cultists (myself included) "endgame" is the HHKB Pro HG Japan edition.

Show Image

This is correct..but seriously, can we get a gb going on an HHKB Alu case so I don't have to buy another board please? haha
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline GSimon

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 23:45:09 »
An endgame keyboard to me is the one that stands out as the 'best' keyboard you own, and aren't able to surpass, but not necessarily the last keyboard you ever buy.

My Ergodox is currently my end-game board, it's the one that's the most unique, appealing looking (to me), and the one I'd consider spending the most money on to customize. I got the custom cable/custom plates for it and wouldn't necessarily invest in other boards in this way.

The only board that could surpass it to me would one that I've designed from scratch, as something I've created from my own is truly irreplaceable.

Am still interested in other boards for different form factors, similar to how an car collector can have a favourite car and still be interested in other cars in the future.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 00:23:00 »
The Dell Y-UK-DEL1.

Show Image

Cheap
Dedicated media controls
Clicky volume knob
USB ports in back
Wide space bar
Thin bezel
Looks nice

This was the exact board I had before I got my first mech board. I left it at home when I went away to school (September). When I came back (December), it was torturous to use. Only thing I miss about it is the volume knob.

What made it torturous?  The only thing I can think of is that they keys can bind slightly when pressed off-center.  I use Cherry ML switches a lot so I got used to pressing keys in the center and it's not a problem for me.

Pulled mine out of the closet to type this reply, just for you :P

Checking the model number on the back, my board is actually a SK-8135, which appears to be the same board except for the design of the windows keys. Could be an era thing (XP era vs. Vista era?). It's no worse than any rubber dome board, and better than quite a few. It's hard to put into words the exact issues I have with the board -- the lack of travel prior to actuation, and the hard bottom out that I get on every keystroke has me rebelling against it. I do type 5-10 wpm faster than my clears (I mostly attribute that to difference in actuation force), but I feel the fatigue in my hands and arms much faster than if I was typing on a mechanical board.

Torturous is kind of a strong word, I suppose, but I undeniably find my mechanical boards preferable -- except for maybe my board with reds. Personally, I find my enjoyment of a board increases with tactility. Crisp rubber domes feel better than squishy rubber domes (which are in the same category as MX reds and blacks). From there, the more tactile a switch is, the more I like it. I like browns better than rubber domes, blues even more, and clears more still. Buckling spring lies somewhere in the same category as blues, as do MX greens.

I suppose it's weird that I feel fatigue faster typing on a board that requires less force to actuate (rubber dome vs. MX Clear). It might have something to do with the fact that I don't bottom out nearly as much with clears and so actually have less shock on each keystroke, I really don't know.

In the end, I suppose it's all a matter of what I'm used to. And now having typed this post, my fingers feel very strange, almost like they feel after I use a lawnmower (although less intense), if that makes sense. To me, not a nice feeling, and why I'm glad I no longer have to use rubber dome boards on anything more than an occasional basis at work.

I have no clue if that answers the question satisfactorily or not, but I hope it sheds some light on things, at least.

Oh yeah -- an endgame keyboard is the board that expresses the culmination of the hobby. For me, because I have many different places and situations that I will end up using boards in, I think I'll end up with multiple endgame boards, in more of an endgame rotation. Probably by the end of it, it'll be at least one board that I've built myself, probably with clears and some custom firmware, either a TKL or a 60%, with a matching number pad.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 July 2014, 00:52:25 by user 18 »
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 08:49:45 »
For my "endgame" I don't plan to get one keyboard but rather a small collection. I want to have one tenkeyless, one 75%, one 60% board and maybe a number pad, all korean customs. In those keyboards I want to have ergo-clears, vintage blacks and I am not sure what else I want. I obviously want to have some nice keycap sets for those boards as well, maybe even one or two more so I can change them when I feel like it.

One of my "endgame" keycap sets is actually close to getting here, which is the GMK Dolch. One of my other sets are the original Cherry Doubleshots which I already have, although I am not sure if I will be using those until the very end or if I am going to replace them with a newer set, but currently it doesn't look like it.

I am excited for the Duck Viper / Eagle GB to start since this will most likely be my 60% endgame board. :D

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 10:20:13 »
At this point in time, endgame to me would mean the keyboard that I'd be content using day in and day out, but still have other keyboards to use in order to keep things interesting or as a contrast to keep the endgame as The Endgame.

It's for this reason that I have a Logitech K120 in my keyboard rotation.  I whip it out once every two weeks or so, use it until I can't stand it (usually in the minutes), and then switch back to a mechanical keyboard.  After this, I appreciate the mech keyboard all the more.  This leads to the Zen habit of being content with what you have.  While this can curb pangs for another keyboard...it is not as effective for new keycap sets. :p

Again, at this point in time, my endgame would be a programmable 60% or TKL complemented with a separate numpad with matching cases.

Offline dante

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 10:26:32 »
I wish I could be like you guys.  I just don't share the hate for membranes; never had one fail on me or go "mushy."  You guys must have used some nasty stuff.

FWIW my preferred membrane is the Lenovo KU-0225.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 10:46:03 »
Currently, I don't have an end game in mind. I have five boards currently, four MX and one BS, and I have another MX on the way (so I have blue/black/brown/clear and green :D), and I don't think I am done yet. I would like to have a board with whites and one with greys as well, but we will see about that. Maybe my GF will have something to say about my habit before then.

I would like to get into topre eventually when my Model M is fully up and working properly, which I don't think it really is at the moment, but I am liking the sound of the Kalih switches on the new KC range, hopefully CPT Badass comes out with a glowing review of the brown K switch (which is apparently almost like ergo clears?) so I may have to procure one of those before looking towards topre, alps and a Korean. I'm just doing a bit of a rotation at the moment, and I think I will swap out my 108 for my 84 when I get home, show it some love again :)
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 13:25:22 »
I've been really happy with GH60. When I get my final revision PCB I will be fully satisfied. I already basically only use my GH60 since I have had it. For the most part I have stopped buying any other keyboards and am really trying to push myself into selling off most of the other ones that I have that I never use. Asides from that the only other thing I think would be cool to have would be a little portable computer with integrated MX keyboard. But, such thing dosen't exist and is well beyond my technical know how to create. So something like this but with a good keyboard...

and a bit more of an 80's retro-futuristic styling.

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 07:04:49 »
Ergodox layout, Topre switches with MX stems, some nice SA keycaps... With a GHpad in the middle.

Offline johndavis33

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 14:57:55 »
I think my "endgame" will be when I have found my favorite keyboard for every type of switch. I think I have a few already down.

I don't think I'll like another BS board as much as I like my M13.
I don't think I'll like another topre board as much as the HHKB.
I don't think I'll like another Cherry MX board as my banana ducky with whites.

And, I think the Northgate Omnikey may be my endgame Alps board. Then all I'll need will be a linear board.
HAVE AND WILL KEEP: HHKB - Printed white | Ducky Banana edition - Whites | Model M13 | Unidentified Goodwill keyboard - Simplified black ALPS
TOO BE SOLD: TG3 BL82 - Clears | Wheelwrite 5 - Buckling Springs typewriter
SOLD: Rosewill RK9000 - Blacks | QFR - Blues | Ducky G2 Pro - Greens |
IT WILL BE MINE: Northgate Omnikey - White ALPS

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 14:59:05 »
I think my "endgame" will be when I have found my favorite keyboard for every type of switch. I think I have a few already down.

I thought this at one point....until I realized how many switches existed lol.

Offline johndavis33

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 15:03:35 »

I thought this at one point....until I realized how many switches existed lol.

Damn... I thought I'd found a way out!
HAVE AND WILL KEEP: HHKB - Printed white | Ducky Banana edition - Whites | Model M13 | Unidentified Goodwill keyboard - Simplified black ALPS

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 15:08:53 »
Well maybe you can modify that statement to read, "Every switch johndavis33 is interested in".

Personally, I keep discovering or hearing about new switches and keyboards to try. For example, at Keycon I tried a keyboard that had the Burroughs optical switches and acoustic switches.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 15:12:45 »
Endgame board? No such thing. New and beautiful board designs come out every year; that's the whole fun of it!

Offline johndavis33

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 15:14:56 »
Well maybe you can modify that statement to read, "Every switch johndavis33 is interested in".

Personally, I keep discovering or hearing about new switches and keyboards to try. For example, at Keycon I tried a keyboard that had the Burroughs optical switches and acoustic switches.

Maybe. Once I find my favorite keyboard for every switch I'm interested in, I probably will end up in an endgame of sorts.

I'll probably still buy and collect keyboards, just not at the pace I have been since I got into keyboards. In the past 2 years, I've bought I think 9 different keyboards.

My end game will probably be when I switch from buying keyboards all the time with popular switches, to buying cheap, interesting keyboards with little known switches, and only every so often.

Offline Data

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 15:19:49 »
I'm still relatively new to custom keyboards, so right now my "end game" is a finished ErgoDox with MX Browns in an all-metal case with a full set of legended SA or DSA-profile keycaps.

Where it will go from there is anyone's guess.  :p

Offline trishume

• My Website
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 16:25:38 »
Many of these suggestions seem more "current tech level" than "endgame" to me.

My endgame keyboard has magnetic levitation hall effect switches with individual electromagnets and analog sensing and control, allowing every key to have ANY force curve imaginable.
Imagine playing a game with analog WASD control to control movement speed with electromagnet-based force feedback so you feel the texture of the ground through your keys. Then you start typing text and the processor can tell that you aren't activating gaming controls based on the acceleration profiles from the analog sensing and automatically sends the text in chat.
It would also have an ergonomic curved layout like the Kinesis, with palm keys, an ARM processor and software to do a chording keyboard layout that lets me type at 200WPM.

THAT is endgame. Actually not even that, endgame is when EEG tech gets good enough that whichever words I intend to type just appear on the screen as fast as I can think of them.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 16:59:02 »
Complains about "current level tech" only to mention "an ARM processor" a few sentences later. X_X

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 21:44:59 »

My endgame keyboard has magnetic levitation hall effect switches with individual electromagnets and analog sensing and control, allowing every key to have ANY force curve imaginable.
Imagine playing a game with analog WASD control to control movement speed with electromagnet-based force feedback so you feel the texture of the ground through your keys. Then you start typing text and the processor can tell that you aren't activating gaming controls based on the acceleration profiles from the analog sensing and automatically sends the text in chat.
It would also have an ergonomic curved layout like the Kinesis, with palm keys, an ARM processor and software to do a chording keyboard layout that lets me type at 200WPM.

THAT is endgame. Actually not even that, endgame is when EEG tech gets good enough that whichever words I intend to type just appear on the screen as fast as I can think of them.

Force isn't texture.

Offline xandr

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 22:18:29 »
HHKB layout, Cherry MX, sandblasted (Apple style) aluminium case, ISO layout … would be my endgame keyboard.

Alas, there's no such thing.
Sprit 60% w/MX Clear in DuckMini V2 case | Matias Quiet Pro (office)

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 22:21:06 »
HHKB layout, Cherry MX, sandblasted (Apple style) aluminium case, ISO layout … would be my endgame keyboard.

GH60 supports this layout, I do believe. Then all you need is a case.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 22:21:36 »
HHKB layout, Cherry MX, sandblasted (Apple style) aluminium case, ISO layout … would be my endgame keyboard.

Get that attitude outta here!  If it doesn't exist, make it!  :D

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 22:22:09 »

At least one person at one point ordered an aluminum case from treble318 with the Apple blasted finish...
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline lotus1109

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 22:59:28 »
End game keyboard should be made by yourself to make it meaningful :)

Offline Doyniish

• Good you
    • Power Hour Playlists
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 23:42:47 »
Right now I don't have an end game keyboard and don't see myself making that conclusion anytime soon. Although I'm content and happy with what I have right now, I still have many years of collecting ahead of me!

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 00:14:43 »
I suspect it would be something like

* Leeku 3000 PCB and corresponding plates, modern black shell, 104 layout.
* Matias switches, loud variety.
* Assortment of double-shot and dye-sub caps from a graveyard worth of dead boards.  Possibly with Hangul just for the lulz.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #86 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 12:39:41 »
end game board... eh?

mx board
• linear
• smooth, i mean like hall effect smooth
• 55 gram weight
• stabilizers that make long keys feel like normal keys
• media control in function layer
• WHITE COLOUR CASING I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH I THINK I MIGHT A WHITE FETISH (please don't relate this to what you may relate it to)
• thick thick pbt

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #87 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 12:41:56 »

end game board... eh?

I find it very interesting that to you two especially, endgame means your dream board. I've never associated it like that. Thanks for sharing.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 12:43:29 »

end game board... eh?

I find it very interesting that to you two especially, endgame means your dream board. I've never associated it like that. Thanks for sharing.

Endgame means dream to me as well. Luckily, my dream board is well within my reach...just need that damn alu case.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #89 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 12:45:31 »
I guess I see dream boards as something that doesn't currently exist and I'd like to make it a reality. So for example, my dream board is a 75% Beamspring board with a small bezel, thick ABS caps, and reprogrammable....in purple.

A typical endgame board as I see it could be a KMAC or an LZ-S or a 6019284.

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #90 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 13:16:34 »

end game board... eh?

yes, why would i get another board if i already have my dream board?

unless you mean 60% buckling... :)

i define "game" as finding the best keyboard of my preference. so end game would be finding it and obtaining it! :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #91 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 13:18:16 »

I have one of those ;)

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 13:42:03 »

I have one of those ;)

i... i... i'm swayed.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #93 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 13:44:13 »

I have one of those ;)

i... i... i'm swayed.

They're the IBM 6019284 "Kishsaver" keyboards that were sold earlier this year. Tinlong found a whole bunch of them. Here's a picture of a couple from HoffmanMyster.

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #94 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 13:52:31 »
edox ruined keyboards for me :(

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #95 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 14:35:34 »

I have one of those ;)

i... i... i'm swayed.

They're the IBM 6019284 "Kishsaver" keyboards that were sold earlier this year. Tinlong found a whole bunch of them. Here's a picture of a couple from HoffmanMyster.

I enjoy that picture quite a bit.  :D

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #96 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 14:37:14 »
It's the family photo!!

Offline xandr

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 22:52:28 »

FaceW/FaceU theoretically supports that layout too. I mean, it's not complicated really. Basically a standard ISO Poker II without Control keys and 2 1x1 instead of the 2x1 backspace.

Get that attitude outta here!  If it doesn't exist, make it!  :D

At least one person at one point ordered an aluminum case from treble318 with the Apple blasted finish...

That's the thing. So far the only case that comes close is the Duck Viper and that needs a PCB that doesn't have the "corners" where the Control keys would sit - which probably wouldn't be hard to fix with a dremel/saw and a bit of jumper wires - however, it has it's own standoff/screw layout, so you can't use any of the other 60% PCBs.

It's not like I haven't looked into it, y'know? :)
Sprit 60% w/MX Clear in DuckMini V2 case | Matias Quiet Pro (office)

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 10:18:38 »

end game board... eh?

mx board
• linear
• smooth, i mean like hall effect smooth
• 55 gram weight
• stabilizers that make long keys feel like normal keys
• media control in function layer
• WHITE COLOUR CASING I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH I THINK I MIGHT A WHITE FETISH (please don't relate this to what you may relate it to)
• thick thick pbt

psst guys,

i'm getting my lube from geekhackers, white case and pbts from a poker 2 i'm gonna buy and 55g springs/vintage black already on hand...

is the game ending for me?
or is the mythical HHKB making me go on another quest?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 10:19:35 »
If it were me, Poker 2 would *not* be my end game board lol. But that's up to you to decide, not us.