Author Topic: Hello i'm new here and already need some suggestions..  (Read 1573 times)

Offline cekonx

Hello i'm new here and already need some suggestions..
« on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 11:48:18 »
Hi! greetings from Indonesia!

i am new in mechanical keyboard world and the first one i got is razer blackwidow ultimate 2014 but only lasted 2 weeks or so due to the noise that apparently disturbing me and my wife at home. so i sold that and got a stealth version instead. and this is so far the best keyboard i ever had. although the razer is great for gaming and light typing i felt that i might need another keyboard specific for typing and since it will be my 2nd keyboard to use only for working mostly, i would love to have a TKL or even smaller version. i've been checking some brands and models and now i stuck between 4 choices :

1. KBT race II
2. leopold FC700R (or FC750R because it will be launched here soon)
3. Filco majestouch 2
4. topre realforce (this one i'm not really sure though because it's too expensive)

i need some suggestion here or a quick review would be nice, what do you guys think about those 4 keyboards? which one should i get?

thanks!

regards, willy
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 July 2014, 11:50:27 by cekonx »

Offline Daspartic

• IBM is love IBM is life
Re: Hello i'm new here and already need some suggestions..
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 17:52:06 »
Hi Willy, welcome to Geekhack.

Out of those four choices I would recommend the Topre Realforce with 55g domes or the new CM storm Novatouch (45 g domes) that's about to be released.  Most people agree that the 55g domes are better, but the Novatouch will probably be cheaper and it also supports cherry keycaps.  Either way you can't go wrong.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 July 2014, 06:33:17 by Daspartic »
IBM Displaywriter (82 key) | IBM Model F 4704 (107 key) |  IBM Model F AT x3 | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 3104 x2 | IBM 6112884 (Green Tee mount Alps) | Realforce 87u (55g) | IBM Model M 1390131 x2 | IBM Model M (1391401 '88) | Leopold FC500R (MX Browns) | Wang (725-5971) (Salmon Alps) | Acer 6011 (SKCM Blue Alps) | White Fox (65 g Zealios) | XMIT keyboard (Hall Effect)

Offline cekonx

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 20:06:30 »
Hi Willy, welcome to Geekgack.

Out of those four choices I would recommend the Topre Realforce with 55g domes or the new CM storm Novatouch (45 g domes) that's about to be released.  Most people agree that the 55g domes are better, but the Novatouch will probably be cheaper and it also supports cherry keycaps.  Either way you can't go wrong.

thanks for your reply, i will keep that in mind.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 21:14:50 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Personally I'd choose the RealForce, although that is one of only a few keyboards I still really want.  The Filco would also be an excellent choice!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 03:03:46 »
You may also want to consider the Matias Mini Quiet Pro or similar. http://matias.ca/miniquietpro/pc/

Offline duzeyao

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 05:36:36 »
Welcome to geekhack!
Amongst your choices I feel majestouch TKL may be the best for you, if you are looking into a typist keyboard.  :))
你绝版的婊子妈坟

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 05:45:01 »
You may also want to consider the Matias Mini Quiet Pro or similar. http://matias.ca/miniquietpro/pc/

I love it. Might not be for everyone though.

OP. I think the problem here is that all the keyboards you listed are quality keyboards. However, they are all very different. Which one is best for you really just depends on the features/size/layout you are after and the kind of switches you prefer. This makes it hard to recommend one over the other. Maybe if you tell us something about what you are after and which features you value in a keyboard, then we can give a more useful response.

Welcome to Geekhack !
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 July 2014, 06:04:32 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Belfong

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 06:07:56 »
Welcome to Geekhack - you can't go wrong with RealForce :thumb:

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 08:24:02 »
Welcome to Geekhack!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 08:30:38 »
Well since we have ensnared you in the money sink that is GeekHack, we might as well tell you that if you don't spend $200 on a RealForce you will spend $200 on novelty keycaps.
Enjoy your time here!  :p
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline cekonx

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 10:53:59 »
wow thanks for the warmest reply... matias looked great but sadly there is no distributor here in my country, buying from overseas is out of option because the tax here is so high.. i think now i'm down to 2 options which is race II or leopold since i realize i need the detachable cable as well..

Offline Belfong

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 05:21:20 »

Well since we have ensnared you in the money sink that is GeekHack, we might as well tell you that if you don't spend $200 on a RealForce you will spend $200 on novelty keycaps.
Enjoy your time here!  :p
He's right. After spending $200 on one cap, what is $200 on a whole keyboard?