Author Topic: New and Loving the Community!  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Gamingnow

New and Loving the Community!
« on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 13:34:00 »
Hey guys, just registered here. Was looking for a gaming keyboard, and a friend recommended the Black Widow. I started to do some research and now I am completely fascinated by all the technical aspects that go along with mechanical keyboards, as well as the art aspect. For my first keyboard I am buying a Vortex Poker II, as well as a few blank keycaps to replace the keyboard, esc key, and WASD. Looking forward to participating and learning with you guys!
Poker II [MX Blues]

Offline Hundrakia

Re: New and Loving the Community!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 15:43:07 »
Welcome fellow newcomer! This place seems rather insane so far  :D

Offline Daspartic

• IBM is love IBM is life
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 17:38:34 »
Welcome to Geelhack and good choice on he vortex poker 2! :thumb:
IBM Displaywriter (82 key) | IBM Model F 4704 (107 key) |  IBM Model F AT x3 | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 3104 x2 | IBM 6112884 (Green Tee mount Alps) | Realforce 87u (55g) | IBM Model M 1390131 x2 | IBM Model M (1391401 '88) | Leopold FC500R (MX Browns) | Wang (725-5971) (Salmon Alps) | Acer 6011 (SKCM Blue Alps) | White Fox (65 g Zealios) | XMIT keyboard (Hall Effect)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 18:30:21 »
Welcome to Geekhack! Please keep in mind that this forum is best viewed with Internet Explorer, preferably version 6.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 18:48:51 »
Don't worry about microsoft windows. I don't think many people here take him seriously.

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 19:25:14 »
Don't worry about microsoft windows. I don't think many people here take him seriously.
*any

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 19:30:11 »
I am so happy for you!
You avoided getting the Black Widow.

Now we can do this the easy way, or the hard way.
You can surrender your wallet to us now and walk away unscathed, or you can suffer slowly as we slowly pick away at every dollar you make as you descend into the madness that is keyboards.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 21:16:05 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

To fully appreciate the technical aspects you will need to build your own keyboard :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 21:59:29 »
To fully appreciate the technical aspects you will need to build your own keyboard :p

I still find it very interesting how there are whole keyboards designed by the community - pcb, plate, case, keycaps, cables, etc. You can't find that with many other computer parts (mouse, monitor, cpu/gpu, etc).

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 22:00:53 »
That absolutely floored me to read those threads, like the GHPad thread went from a guy's idea to something tangible in what seemed like no time, relatively. So much talent and knowledge on tap!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 01:48:20 »

I still find it very interesting how there are whole keyboards designed by the community - pcb, plate, case, keycaps, cables, etc. You can't find that with many other computer parts (mouse, monitor, cpu/gpu, etc).

Don't forget the GHpad too - GH-designed numpad :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 01:52:58 »
I definitely want a GHPad. I'm ordering up a board, but I have no clue where to start to look for a case. DIY I think!