Author Topic: Template for Unicomp LED Overlays?  (Read 3429 times)

Offline kfharlock

Template for Unicomp LED Overlays?
« on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 15:02:49 »
Hi all!

This is my first post here. I recently got a Unicomp Classic 101-key, and I'm hoping to create some custom LED overlays for it (most likely with fictional megacorp logos like TYRELL, GENOM, WEYLAND-YUTANI, ONO-SENDAI, etc.). Unfortunately, I'm having trouble finding a suitable Photoshop / GIMP template to use for the designs.

I did find this thread (http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=5295.30) which contained a link to templates at one time, but that link is now broken. If anyone grabbed this file while it was available or has another suitable template I could use, would you mind uploading it for me?

If I can get a template, and there's any interest, I'll also upload my overlays when I finish them. Thanks!

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
Re: Template for Unicomp LED Overlays?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 15:17:06 »
That person moved his domain.  The file is still available:

http://bhtooefr.org/files/keyboard%20label%204.xcf
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 15:20:38 »
Also, do a Cyberdyne one!
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline kfharlock

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 15:35:57 »
Awesome! Thanks so much.

I'll definitely do a Cyberdyne one, btw; thanks for suggesting it. Maybe Omni Consumer Products and CHOAM Corporation as well.

Offline kfharlock

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 16:23:57 »
Hrmm, um... does anyone know what DPI these are supposed to be in? For some reason, the .xcf is set at 72 DPI, which can't be right, because it's trying to print the overlay at roughly 9 inches wide. Setting it to 300 reduces the dimensions to something like 2.1 inches wide by .667 inches tall, which seems too small.

Anyone have insights here? This is the first time I'm using GIMP by the way (I downloaded it just to open this file), so maybe there's something I'm overlooking about the print resolution settings in that program?

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 15:33:14 »
Keep in mind you will probably want to create two of each.  One for IBM / Lexmark M's, another for more recent Unicomp M's.

http://pckeyboard.com/page/Misc/LED
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 18:06:32 »
Regarding DPI, etc - just use the image for the general ratio and layout of the LEDs, then size it up yourself.   Use a program you're familiar with if Gimp isn't your thing.

Offline lquessenberry

• BTC Toast
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 17:55:46 »
I have made a stab at this using Shapeways. I am not 100% sure if the size is 100% accurate. I am getting a brand new Classic Unicomp tomorrow and will make some exact measurements to see.

I have created "Badges" that I think would work. Since I didn't have the exact DPI of the template included here, I have made some estimates on the sizes. I am trying to beta test these and will make them custom order if anyone is interested.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/2625638/unicomp-classic-keyboard-led-overlay-with-jewel-ho.html?materialId=60

I have created transparent "jewels" that pop into the holes and allow light to pass through. My idea is to continue to make jewels that are custom and can be used in combination with the badges. I hope this helps some of you get your Sci-Fi geekiness on.

Offline lquessenberry

• BTC Toast
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 23:09:17 »
 :-\ Fellas. I way overshot the size on these. I will fix them and reupload the models to Shapeways. Happy SciFi badges to you all.

Offline 2-bit Joe

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 28 December 2021, 18:28:46 »
Can anyone hazard a guess at the color code for the beige Unicomp keyboard case?

Is the keyboard legend font Helvetica Neue?  I have a newfound respect for industrial design.

P.S. I know this is a really old thread.  Bad programmer, no doughnut.