Author Topic: Incandescent Light Bulbs  (Read 16680 times)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Incandescent Light Bulbs
« on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 08:07:50 »
So, fellow light bulb geeks...

Did you hoard any incandescent bulbs when they were phased out by the U. S. Government last year? Of did you move over to CFL, halogen, and/or LED lighting solutions?

I've got some incandescents running in my house, but lately I've been impressed with some of the new LED light bulbs they've been selling recently.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
Re: Incandescent Light Bulbs
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 08:12:13 »
I've got some LED bulbs that are very halogen-esq and the light they give out is crap. It's bright, but it's somewhere between yellow and white light that's just kinda horrible.

I don't know the laws surrounding these things in the UK.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 08:14:45 »
I've had good luck with these LED bulbs--they're nice and bright and only consume 9 watts. I don't know if you'll find them in the UK but they're widely available in North America:
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline salcan

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 08:28:10 »
Cree bulbs are good. Philips SlimStyle are very good as well. Both are affordable and readily available. I like the Philips A17 as well, though I do have a few rooms with Hue smart bulbs which are cool too.

If you are using LED bulbs that look like crap, or CFLs for that matter, it's time to upgrade. Prices have dropped a lot and quality has improved fairly significantly in the past few years, though we really haven't had any major news in 2014 so far, at least for consumers.

(I've been all LED for a few years now.)

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 19:45:39 »
microsoft windows: Finally something we agree on! Incandescent light bulbs are the best; other bulbs all do really terrible things to color relationships, and in general make very unpleasant lighting. Tungsten forever!

(If an incandescent bulb is like a Model M, then an LED light is like the Apple aluminum keyboard of the lighting world, whereas a compact fluorescent is like the circa 2000 Apple rubber-dome.)
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 July 2014, 19:48:11 by jacobolus »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 19:49:20 »
I've never had a single spiral light bulb reach the "rated" lifespan.. even the name brand ones,   lot of marketing BS,

I haven't tried LED yet..  but xperience thus far on new age lightbulbs.. no bueno..

Offline salcan

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 20:26:57 »
I've never had a single spiral light bulb reach the "rated" lifespan.. even the name brand ones,   lot of marketing BS,

I haven't tried LED yet..  but xperience thus far on new age lightbulbs.. no bueno..

Show Image

CFLs have an ignition process. If you were to turn it on on day one and leave it one, it would very likely hit the quoted number. If you put it in a bathroom or closet, where it is running in short times and being turned on and off a lot, it's going to get a lot closer to 1000 hours (lifespan of incandescent) and than 8000 hours (typical CFL, the spiral kind)

(I'll stop now. Have done a lot of work with light bulbs in the past)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 23:07:51 »

Show Image

CFLs have an ignition process. If you were to turn it on on day one and leave it one, it would very likely hit the quoted number. If you put it in a bathroom or closet, where it is running in short times and being turned on and off a lot, it's going to get a lot closer to 1000 hours (lifespan of incandescent) and than 8000 hours (typical CFL, the spiral kind)

(I'll stop now. Have done a lot of work with light bulbs in the past)

so ur saying... I should stop buying cfl ?  or is there cfl out there designed for this..

Offline blackbox

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 00:48:02 »
I have changed all my lightbulbs to LED ones. I am very satisfied with the result. I use v-light leds:

Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 00:51:32 »
They're slated to phase out incandescents by 2017 I believe in Canada. Personally though I'm elated to know that we're being forced eventually into LED technology. I just hope that OLED lighting becomes a thing, since it can accurately reproduce natural light, iirc. Also it's like hella efficient.
Although, I worked for a retail store when the initial cuts were announced, and people came in purchasing incandescent bulbs by the cartful, I think the change over made a lot of people real angry.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 01:07:50 »
They're slated to phase out incandescents by 2017 I believe in Canada. Personally though I'm elated to know that we're being forced eventually into LED technology. I just hope that OLED lighting becomes a thing, since it can accurately reproduce natural light, iirc.
All CFLs and LEDs have very spiky emission spectra, which are dramatically less pleasant (IMO) and distort color relationships (causing potential problems for anyone who cares about the way their photographs/paintings/clothes/... looks). They tend to also emit more light toward the blue end of the spectrum, again with a few spikes at particular wavelengths, which can make it harder to sleep.

OLEDs are better than most CFLs/LEDs in this respect (one flawed metric for this is the “color rendering index”), but not nearly as good as incandescent bulbs. They definitely don’t “accurately reproduce natural light”.
Although, I worked for a retail store when the initial cuts were announced, and people came in purchasing incandescent bulbs by the cartful, I think the change over made a lot of people real angry.
For good reason. It’s a really stupid set of laws bullied through legislatures. Incandescent light bulbs are amazingly cheap and robust technology and if it really matters there are several ways in which they could be made more efficient without swapping to a completely separate technology.

Residential lighting is not the main bottleneck in world energy use or the main cause of CO2 emission – it would have a much bigger impact to dramatically raise car fuel efficiency standards and get old inefficient cars off the road (or even just force SUVs to meet the standards for cars instead of trucks) or abolish coal power plants; those industries just have much more powerful lobbying efforts and people have now been brainwashed into thinking that incandescent light bulbs are bad.

It does make sense to try to be as efficient as possible for stuff like street lamps and lighting in warehouses though.

Other good changes would be to encourage people to live in smaller houses; adjust their thermostats less aggressively; buy smaller refrigerators and freezers; take jobs closer to home to cut their commutes and work from home more often; build denser neighborhoods to get people to spend more of their time biking, walking, and taking public transit instead of driving everywhere; travel longer distances by train instead of car or plane; eat less-processed food; cut down on the amount of packaging in everything they buy; &c. &c. Instead we get a crack down on light bulbs.

If we just taxed CO2 emissions at a level commensurate with their true costs to the planet, people might want to figure out how to be more energy efficient naturally, just to save money. There’d be no need for a separate light bulb policy at all.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 July 2014, 01:32:11 by jacobolus »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 07:44:45 »
The latest LED bulbs are getting pretty good. Even incandescent bulbs don't produce "natural" spectrum light, although it tends to be smoother than CFL and LED. The one thing that irritates me with the LED bulbs I have tried is the flicker. It seems to be more marked even than some old flourescent tubes. I guess it's due to the fast response of the LED's and the mains frequency.

About CO2, I have a rather large bone to pick with EU legislators. In Finland the annual CO2 generation per capita was 12.1 tonnes (about 65 million tonnes overall per year, which is quite high compared to other Scandinavian coutries, largely due to the paper mills). According to information from the Finnish forestry services, there is roughly 98.5 million cubic metres of forest growth per year. If you use the statistics for growth by different plant species, their density and their carbon content by mass you can calculate how much carbon is absorbed by the forest per year. Converting to relative CO2 mass you get an interesting figure. The Finnish forests absorb roughly 97 million tonnes of CO2 per year.

Which is 32 million tonnes more than we emit. So we are a carbon negative country, absorbing CO2 produced by the rest of the world, and yet we have to pay carbon taxes.... WTF?
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 11:23:02 »
They're slated to phase out incandescents by 2017 I believe in Canada. Personally though I'm elated to know that we're being forced eventually into LED technology. I just hope that OLED lighting becomes a thing, since it can accurately reproduce natural light, iirc.
All CFLs and LEDs have very spiky emission spectra, which are dramatically less pleasant (IMO) and distort color relationships (causing potential problems for anyone who cares about the way their photographs/paintings/clothes/... looks). They tend to also emit more light toward the blue end of the spectrum, again with a few spikes at particular wavelengths, which can make it harder to sleep.

OLEDs are better than most CFLs/LEDs in this respect (one flawed metric for this is the “color rendering index”), but not nearly as good as incandescent bulbs. They definitely don’t “accurately reproduce natural light”.
For good reason. It’s a really stupid set of laws bullied through legislatures. Incandescent light bulbs are amazingly cheap and robust technology and if it really matters there are several ways in which they could be made more efficient without swapping to a completely separate technology.

Residential lighting is not the main bottleneck in world energy use or the main cause of CO2 emission – it would have a much bigger impact to dramatically raise car fuel efficiency standards and get old inefficient cars off the road (or even just force SUVs to meet the standards for cars instead of trucks) or abolish coal power plants; those industries just have much more powerful lobbying efforts and people have now been brainwashed into thinking that incandescent light bulbs are bad.

It does make sense to try to be as efficient as possible for stuff like street lamps and lighting in warehouses though.

Other good changes would be to encourage people to live in smaller houses; adjust their thermostats less aggressively; buy smaller refrigerators and freezers; take jobs closer to home to cut their commutes and work from home more often; build denser neighborhoods to get people to spend more of their time biking, walking, and taking public transit instead of driving everywhere; travel longer distances by train instead of car or plane; eat less-processed food; cut down on the amount of packaging in everything they buy; &c. &c. Instead we get a crack down on light bulbs.

If we just taxed CO2 emissions at a level commensurate with their true costs to the planet, people might want to figure out how to be more energy efficient naturally, just to save money. There’d be no need for a separate light bulb policy at all.

Yea ok.. sounds good.. . You pay for it...

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 11:38:34 »
I was apparently misled about possible spectrum that OLED technology could create, you know; considering a proper flora of organic material has been rigorously tested and all that. You speak of lowering emissions, but the ideal would be negating them almost entirely.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 11:39:43 »
The Metric System is a Propaganda Tool for Communists!

... wait, which thread is this?
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 11:41:34 »
The right one. The metric system can just stop being so useful.

Edit(sp?)
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 July 2014, 11:55:45 by Hundrakia »

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 11:42:56 »
Yes I still have some but I caved in to the ones Duke Power give out for free.

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 12:19:58 »
Found what may be the source of my confusion. Apparently it's not a thing yet, where they mimic(?) sunlight, but researchers feel they have made strides towards that end.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 12:25:29 »
I like them. Black body radiation gives of the best light. They'd be perfect if it wasn't for the wasted excess heat.

Sidenote: Those bulbs are now illegal in EU. Some stores do however still sell them but as "heating devices" which happen to have an E27 socket. They just happen to be fairly inefficient as heating devices and "wastes" a few percent of the energy as light ;)

Offline Malphas

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 14:05:59 »
My entire house uses LED lighting, it seems unsafe and wasteful looking back to think I used to have dozens of burning hot pieces of metal littering my ceilings (I use GU10 downlights rather than hanging bulbs). I never liked CFL. I'm sure there must be some technical reasons for preferring incandescent over LED for those particular to that type of thing, but for me the light the  LEDs produce seems indistinguishable - or maybe slightly better actually - than incandescent/halogen.

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 14:41:00 »
When I had a well I used to leave a light on in the well house when it got below freezing to keep the pipes good.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 15:14:36 »

The Metric system is fine-ish. The main problem with it is the base 10 number system which is straight-up stupid. We should have been using base 12 instead (the Babylonians had the right idea with a base 60 system).

Offline Malphas

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 15:36:00 »
Yes, base 12 is far superior. I would still be in favour of moving over to it now, even with the massive upheaval it would cause.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 13:31:35 »

The Metric system is fine-ish. The main problem with it is the base 10 number system which is straight-up stupid. We should have been using base 12 instead (the Babylonians had the right idea with a base 60 system).

Nothing wrong with a base-10 system. It seems logical as most of us have 10 fingers to count with.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 17:40:55 »

Nothing wrong with a base-10 system. It seems logical as most of us have 10 fingers to count with.

I sometimes count in base six, with one hand for each of two digits.  Count up to 35 :cool:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Noko

• jolonarr: a tough dude who takes no esses!
  • * Maker
    • Noko's Leatherworks
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 18:17:43 »
They're slated to phase out incandescents by 2017 I believe in Canada. Personally though I'm elated to know that we're being forced eventually into LED technology. I just hope that OLED lighting becomes a thing, since it can accurately reproduce natural light, iirc. Also it's like hella efficient.

My father was one of those people, he drove around to each Rona and Home Depot in their city and build up a stock to last my parents the rest of their lives  :-X
A whole section of their basement is now devoted to lightbulb storage, it's quite a funny sight.
Noko's Leatherworks - Handmade Custom Leather Wrist Rests -  http://www.noko.ca

Sales Thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51762.0
Build Log: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47704.0

Offline Malphas

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 13:29:25 »

That's literally the only thing base-10 has going for it. Except who even uses their fingers to count anyway?

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 13:38:52 »
That's literally the only thing base-10 has going for it. Except who even uses their fingers to count anyway?
To be fair, the main thing base-10 has going for it is historical inertia. The finger thing is kind of irrelevant at this point.

Base 10 has been in use since the ancient Greeks (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attic_numerals), Minoans (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aegean_numerals), Chinese (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counting_rods), and Indians (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahmi_numeral) started using them, 2500–3000 years ago.

(The Maya used a base 20 system (fingers and toes), the Babylonians used a base 60 system, and there have been a few various others over the years, but they all died out, except that the Babylonian system persists in our measures for time, angles, geographic location, etc.)

It’s all quite unfortunate though. Base 12 would be much better in every way. (And it’s not at all hard to represent the numbers 0–11 using the fingers on two hands, or even on one hand, if someone really likes finger counting.)
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 July 2014, 13:41:18 by jacobolus »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 17:38:16 »
Back to incandescent bulbs:
http://www.richsoil.com/CFL-fluorescent-light-bulbs.jsp

Edit: this one is great too:
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 July 2014, 18:17:41 by jacobolus »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 20:29:04 »
Back to incandescent bulbs:
http://www.richsoil.com/CFL-fluorescent-light-bulbs.jsp

Edit: this one is great too:

Thx for posting jacobolus..

I just swapped back all my incandescent in the bathroom..

Based on the numbers presented..   The ccfl should still be significantly more efficient where LONG duty cycles are concerned..

But yea..   Eyes have been opened.

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 22:01:18 »
I've always hated on CFLs, since I initially researched them, but this video makes me hate them even more. "But they're so majestic!" I know, so majestic. "But so fierce!" So fierce. Personally, I'm a huge fan of the potential of LED technology and OLED technology, But there is so much room to grow and improve in that field still. Incandescent has room for growth, but I do feel it has a lower ceiling of where they will stop being comparable.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 22:39:04 »
I've always hated on CFLs, since I initially researched them, but this video makes me hate them even more. "But they're so majestic!" I know, so majestic. "But so fierce!" So fierce. Personally, I'm a huge fan of the potential of LED technology and OLED technology, But there is so much room to grow and improve in that field still. Incandescent has room for growth, but I do feel it has a lower ceiling of where they will stop being comparable.

well.. it comes down to how much you like "blue" light...

some people reallly reallly  like blue...   

Led and cfl are both much more blue spec than tungsten.

I'm down with blue.. but I'm not obsessed..

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 22:41:31 »
I am still of the understanding that the research for broader spectrum of emissions from LED (OLED?) has been successful. Not commercially available = my point moot, though doesn't it.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 23:17:32 »
I am still of the understanding that the research for broader spectrum of emissions from LED (OLED?) has been successful. Not commercially available = my point moot, though doesn't it.

it hasn't been a huge priority because there isn't big bux in it

let's say you do make a bulb, that really does last 10 years for $10

OR, you can sell 20-30 bulbs at $2 

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 23:24:34 »
Oh I know :/

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 02:48:24 »
I wonder if they'll every start using quantum dots for illumination... Looks like displays may not be too far off. But I do like OLED technology, been waiting for a decent sized OLED panel to be released for PC's for absolute ages (since I found out about the technology in around 2000). There've been a number of groups researching OLED since before then.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 08:55:29 »
I've been hearing a bit about OLED computer monitors as well. I wonder when they'll come up with a commercially viable version of them?

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 11:24:34 »
Isn't it longevity that's a main hindrance? Or is that a thing of the past

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 12:01:16 »
Isn't it longevity that's a main hindrance? Or is that a thing of the past

Could be. I'll have to read up some more about it.

I recall hearing about bendable LED screens being made too--don't recall if they are OLED or not though.

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 12:03:37 »
The latest batches out of the likes of Samsung et al are flexible OLED, pretty sizeable too. Priced to sell!

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 12:06:50 »
It'll be interesting to see when those flexible LED's hit the market. I can imagine them being useful for smartphone displays, if only somebody came up with a viable flexible touch-screen!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 13:06:54 »
It'll be interesting to see when those flexible LED's hit the market. I can imagine them being useful for smartphone displays, if only somebody came up with a viable flexible touch-screen!

The OLED is not nearly ready..

blue oled degredation is still significantly faster than greed/red..   so they're fine for smart phones because  these things are "OFF" most of the time.

but even then, the panel noticeably get worse pretty quickly for heavy users..

Also, oled still has image persistence far greater than lightboosted backlit..    which makes them pointless for the new wave of clear motion displays..

Lightboost is the technology to lookout for in our most immediate future..

OLED still needs another 10 years..

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 08:40:38 »
I don't think I've heard of Lightboost before. What is it?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 13:24:13 »
I don't think I've heard of Lightboost before. What is it?

strobe the backlight so that you do not see the transitional states of the LCD matrix..

That is what motion blur is, when you see something move across the screen.. the backlight is constantly on,  so while the matrix changes color and intensity, it creates a blur...

but.. if you flash the backlight to only illuminate a completed state...motion image will look completely smooth with NO trail..

this can only be done @ 100hz + because any less, you'd see flashing..

OLED can't be used in this way AT ALL.... because they themselves are light emitting..

Currently only possible on TN panels that do 144hz / 120hz refresh..

these are stills taken while a ufo alien moved quickly across the screen..

the difference between boosted and nonboosted

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 23:43:28 »
All CFLs and LEDs have very spiky emission spectra, which are dramatically less pleasant (IMO) and distort color relationships (causing potential problems for anyone who cares about the way their photographs/paintings/clothes/... looks).

Tri colour LEDs have excellent emission spectra.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 11:06:30 »

blue oled degredation is still significantly faster than greed/red..   so they're fine for smart phones because  these things are "OFF" most of the time.

Also, oled still has image persistence far greater than lightboosted backlit..    which makes them pointless for the new wave of clear motion displays..

PLEASE stop spreading disinformation. OLED has microsecond switching speeds (unlike the milliseconds switching of LCD), so you DO NOT GET blur or image persistence. OLED is a superior technology to backlit LCD in almost every aspect (efficiency, contrast, view angles, response time, etc..)

Blue OLEDs do degrade fast, unfortunately, and I suspect this is the main reson for not releasing desktop displays with OLED. Samsung have demonstrated large OLED panels (40" and above) with high resolution and good colour reproduction before. It could also be that the production cost of larger panels is prohibitive.

I believe it's the single component, so-called "white" LED's that have spiky emission spectra, since most of them are primarily based on blue LED chemistry with added impurities to get the other frequencies.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 11:23:29 »

PLEASE stop spreading disinformation. OLED has microsecond switching speeds (unlike the milliseconds switching of LCD), so you DO NOT GET blur or image persistence. OLED is a superior technology to backlit LCD in almost every aspect (efficiency, contrast, view angles, response time, etc..)

Blue OLEDs do degrade fast, unfortunately, and I suspect this is the main reson for not releasing desktop displays with OLED. Samsung have demonstrated large OLED panels (40" and above) with high resolution and good colour reproduction before. It could also be that the production cost of larger panels is prohibitive.

I believe it's the single component, so-called "white" LED's that have spiky emission spectra, since most of them are primarily based on blue LED chemistry with added impurities to get the other frequencies.

You are absolutely mistaken..

IMAGE-persistence, is the attribute we're talking about here..  NOT  response time..

Flashing the backlight of a backlit LCD (TN),  you can achieve 1ms of image persistence..  whereas OLED can not yet duplicate this..

Again... you are mistaken,  this is NOT response time we're talking about

Response time has nothing to do with strobe backlighting which is crucial to making motion clear..

I have had several samsung oled, and currently the note 3..  Image persistence and blur is continually an issue on such devices..

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 12:02:49 »

Holy ****, that **** ain't the 'merican way!
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 12:19:40 »

Murica  People of all occupation must drive F350s to work... whether or not you've ever hauled anything in your life.. EVER..

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 12:28:02 »

Murica  People of all occupation must drive F350s to work... whether or not you've ever hauled anything in your life.. EVER..

Damn straight!
But in consideration of the above mentioned shizz…I've downsized from an F350 crew cab long bed diesel 4X4, to an F250 crew cab standard bed 2WD and now all the way down to a tiny girls truck….my current F150 crew cab short bed 2WD (but I kept the towing package).

I'm an environmentalist from the word go.

Replace your ****ing light bulbs with the new stuff and stop complaining *****es!
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~