Author Topic: Wireless or Wired?  (Read 12469 times)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Wireless or Wired?
« on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 08:13:13 »
So, what do you prefer to use? A wireless mouse or a wired mouse? I personally prefer mice with wires because I always lost the little USB receivers for the wireless ones.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: Wireless or Wired?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 08:34:55 »
I would probably be the type of person who keeps the usb thingy plugged into one place at all times, so that doesn't really bother me.
Wireless mice would seem good to me if there is one that has decent battery life, and is consistent in performance. I believe the G700s from Logitech has amazing battery life, but not sure about the reliability.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 10:00:57 »
I wonder if anybody's ever thought of a wireless mouse with a charger built into a mousepad with solar cells in it. I've seen solar-powered wireless keyboards before, so I bet it's possible.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline P3TC0CK

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 12:39:08 »
Wireless everything when I can. Mouse, keyboard, and headet. I've been having to plug in my keyboard in when I go play in gaming cafes because I'm not 100% sure how the wireless functionality of it is supposed to work. I suspect it's either my mouse (it interfered with my wireless card when I had a PC back in the US) or I just haven't figured out the keyboard. Hopefully the new wireless gaming mouse I get fixes any interference issues.

My current set up is:

Anker C200 Amazing mouse for the price.
Logitech H600 Got this refurbished for much cheaper.
Morphling KB-87 as my keyboard.

« Last Edit: Sun, 27 July 2014, 12:44:47 by P3TC0CK »
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun
1. a small valve or faucet, as for draining off excess or waste material from the cylinder of a steam engine or an internal-combustion engine.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 05:51:51 »
Wireless sucks, because of intereference (what about EM smog?), security, battery life (or performance/lag) and consequent weight or even off-center sensor.

Receivers are usually plugged in, thus it's not a problem, but I'm afraid I'd lose the pointing device itself.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 06:27:14 »
For me it has to do with how and where the PC is set up, and what I intend to do on the PC.

For a conventional setup at a desk I do not use wireless peripherals. Cables do not hinder me in any way. Batteries, with their need to be recharged and loss of performance over time are a much bigger annoyance to me. I also care about performance. I game on the PC that I have set up on a desk. I do not want to risk any lag or interference, and the peripherals that I like (shape, look, features, performance) are wired.

However, I have a PC set up in my living room where the wires are neatly tucked away and out of sight. This PC is used for browsing, work, youtube etc. On this PC I do use wireless peripherals. The difference in performance does not matter here. It also looks cleaner. Most importantly, I can choose to sit in different places and still use the computer, which is very convenient. 
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 July 2014, 06:32:49 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 08:20:57 »
I'm a owner of a Logitech G602, ex-owner of a Logitech G700 and I also had a Razer Mamba. As much as using wireless mice on my laptop is nice, there's no denying wireless mice are worse.

Having to worry about battery life, having sub-par sensors, bad performance on many cases, limited options, range problems (especially with the G602 which has only 3m range) is quite annoying. If you use a Desktop, buying a wireless mouse when you want performance is a plain bad idea.

I also have a Matias Secure Pro, but being honest with you, I prefer using the Mini Quiet Pro on my Desktop due to the following reasons:

- There's no risk of me leaving it powered on and there being no battery left when I come back (there's a huge flaw on the wireless sync system on the Matias Secure Pro)
- The USB HUB actually works as it should on the Mini Quiet Pro.

But sure, if you want to connect your PC to your TV or move your peripherals around, wireless can be nice, but I really wouldn't say it's better.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 July 2014, 08:22:32 by wetto »
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline D01

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 08:41:26 »
Wired all the way, unless it's a laptop.

Offline Doyniish

• Good you
    • Power Hour Playlists
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 11:50:50 »
Wired all the way, unless it's a laptop.

I'm the same way. Although I do use a Magic Trackpad. That thing would be weird if it was wired.

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 11:53:39 »
All wired everything, all the time.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 11:56:00 »
Wireless

Offline Kraksx

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 11:57:40 »

This, I can't stand the unreliability of wireless mice

Poker II

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 12:45:29 »
Wired. The only wireless product I ever had that works flawless, is Apple's Magic Mouse. But I CANNOT stand the shape nor how stiff it glides. Apart from the ergonomics and switch, I also hate the wireless aluminium chiclet keyboard Apple sells. It seriously skips 1 character every 5-10 keystrokes. Annoying. I now use it to separate books.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Kraksx

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 12:48:00 »
Wired. The only wireless product I ever had that works flawless, is Apple's Magic Mouse. But I CANNOT stand the shape nor how stiff it glides. Apart from the ergonomics and switch, I also hate the wireless aluminium chiclet keyboard Apple sells. It seriously skips 1 character every 5-10 keystrokes. Annoying. I now use it to separate books.

That's one damn expensive book separator

Poker II

Offline Doyniish

• Good you
    • Power Hour Playlists
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 13:06:49 »

Interesting. I used to use one at work quite a bit and didn't have that issue. Perhaps you got a bad one or something.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 13:17:05 »

Interesting. I used to use one at work quite a bit and didn't have that issue. Perhaps you got a bad one or something.

Unfortunately, I went through 3 of them. I tested them using 10fastfingers and during coding. I think it has something to do with the matrix layout or something. Or just the wireless (bluetooth) signal. The wired one does not have this issue.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 13:30:40 »
Definitely wired. Will never use wireless again.
Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline trace.

• 「ひとりぼっち」「empty4ever」
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 07:21:57 »
Used to wires and just can't find a reason why anyone would want a wireless mouse (or other input device)

Offline osi

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 07:54:14 »
WIRED. Wireless devices have too many points of failure--battery, interference, line of sight if IR...

Offline blackbox

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 08:28:16 »
I prefer wired. For my basic use I have no need of a wireless mouse. That makes it just more hassle than neccessary. Also the build quality of the usb reciever have a tendency to a bad. Would have liked to see a usb reciever in massive steel. :p
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 08:43:25 »
Wired. No need for batteries. If the wire is too short, I'll use a USB extender.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline blackbox

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 08:44:49 »
Wired. No need for batteries. If the wire is too short, I'll use a USB extender.

But usb just works up to 5 meters! :( :p
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 08:48:40 »

But usb just works up to 5 meters! :( :p

5 meters is more than enough for my purposes.
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 09:31:09 »
Not all USB extenders are created equal.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 10:12:19 »

Same can be said about pretty much anything. Thankfully with my Kensington Expert Mouse, the wire is already so long I don't even need an extender.
tp thread is tp thread

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 13:38:06 »

That's because the ones designed for Windows are better.

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 04:39:42 »
I wish wires could finally go away, such a nuisance.
The G602 is the best wireless mouse in existence and it can do any task as good as a wired mouse :).

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 05:04:52 »
The G602 is the best wireless mouse in existence and it can do any task as good as a wired mouse :).
You can't hang yourself on it. Therefore, wireless sucks.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 07:50:40 »
Found an old functional MX1100.

Still wonderful to use and holds it's battery charge far longer than any new mouse produced now.  Logitech did make some brilliant input devices in the past  :thumb: .

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 07:51:41 »

This.
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 11:05:04 »
Anybody on here use wired mice with their smartphones?

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 11:50:48 »

No but I used my smartphone as a mouse once.

As for wireless mice; generally not a good idea, but the G602 is a fantastic wireless mouse and still one of my all time favourites.

Offline wetto

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 14:58:59 »

No but I used my smartphone as a mouse once.

As for wireless mice; generally not a good idea, but the G602 is a fantastic wireless mouse and still one of my all time favourites.

I agree, the G602 is quite good, reason why I use it a lot with my laptop. I even did a detailed review on it (although it's in Brazilian Portuguese, but Google Translate can help a bit): https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fadrenaline.uol.com.br%2Fforum%2Fhardwares-em-geral%2F531656-review-logitech-g602-mouse-gamer-wireless.html&edit-text=

Although, I really do prefer using the Corsair M40 or the Roccat SAVU when I'm at my computer.
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 15:08:50 »

Me!

Offline blackbox

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 11:47:51 »
I do it om my phone with a broken screen sometimes.

The LAN table!

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 15:33:53 »
wireless for general use, wired for gaming

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 10:48:34 »
I like to use wired mice. They have better performance compared to wireless units. And they don't take batteries either.

Offline Jotokun

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 14:20:01 »
I'd prefer wired, but I use wireless because it lets me put the mouse in front of my numberpad/nav cluster.  My daily driver is my 120-key Model F, and with the mouse to the right I get shoulder pain fairly quickly from the reach.
85 IBM Model F "120" ANSI-Modded | 86 IBM Model M | Cherry G84-4100 | TG3 Data911 (MX Blacks) | 90 Apple Extended II (Linear modded Cream ALPS) | 95 Apple Extended II (Dampened White ALPS)

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 14:21:56 »
 Always wired.
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 01:40:52 »
Always wireless  :thumb:

Offline scorpionred_sky

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 12:38:10 »
I think wired is definitely nice

Offline RED-404

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 13:06:18 »
Wired, never know when you will need an improvised garrote.
Especially at LAN parties.

Offline l0calh05t

• Engineer / Musician / Geek
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 14:57:17 »
Wired all the way. I have had nothing but bad experiences with wireless devices for PC (PS3 and Wii controllers have been mostly ok). Made the mistake of buying wireless Logitech F710 gamepads and have regretted it ever since. And now the wired one with rumble is no longer produced. :( Constant dropouts and stuck buttons/sticks make me a very unhappy camper.
CM Storm QuickFire XT with MX Green switches
Logitech G400 | Logitech F710 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Offline wetto

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 07:33:50 »
Wired all the way. I have had nothing but bad experiences with wireless devices for PC (PS3 and Wii controllers have been mostly ok). Made the mistake of buying wireless Logitech F710 gamepads and have regretted it ever since. And now the wired one with rumble is no longer produced. :( Constant dropouts and stuck buttons/sticks make me a very unhappy camper.

My F510 is out of production?  :(
My collection:
More