Author Topic: If you could start all over, what would you buy today?  (Read 9462 times)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Re: If you could start all over, what would you buy today?
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 21:15:44 »
A 60% (GH60...) keyboard, a plate, modded clears (60g, lubed, stickered...), GMK/Cherry caps and a solid aluminum case.

Your budget might not be able to get a solid aluminum case, but I'd for sure save up for one. You might not like the 60% layout but it works for me.

If there were no budget, some titanium caps.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline t2russo

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 21:17:22 »
I've bought from Originative a couple times and ended up with most of what I ordered.  It's always an adventure with Sherry.  He's well intentioned I think, but the execution leaves much to be desired.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 21:18:57 »
I started with a TKL Code with clears but soon after moved to a poker II which I modded with ergo clears so I'd say go with anything that has clears maybe go for an FC660M but thats only because I like smaller boards more.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 21:19:43 »
That BSP PBT won't fit an 87 key, doesn't include a spacebar, and is generally kind of "meh" in terms of overall QC and product. 

This set here is GMK and one of the few ABS products I lust over.

I would keep your eye out here for sets of GMK ABS, used IMSTO PBT sets, or something like these bad boys if you wanted blanks/ninja side printing.

Main two points I look for in a keycap set-

• Cherry profile (lower than stock Filco, Ducky, CM keycaps, I find them more ergonomic)
  • Thick keywalls (sound of your keyboard is determined by several factors, one of which is the mass of the keys on it)

I have the Charred Orange set on my KMAC 2 right now and it's really great.   Just missing the 1x Winkeys, so I'm using some from my Dolch modifier set.  Otherwise, the set is as nice as can be.   

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 21:21:22 »
FWIW, I've never had any issues ordering from Originative. I know some people have had issues with getting their items in a timely fashion, but that has never been my personal experience.

After an initial bump when the items I ordered weren't in stock, I've had nothing but smooth dealings and fast shipping with Sherryton.   And I've placed 1/2 a dozen orders in the last few months.   

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 21:25:29 »
Paypal still has that 45 day period where you can file a dispute, so that should be able to make sure everything ships just fine within that time period.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline TheMark

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 21:31:06 »
Ok, thanks everyone. I'm going to grab the charred orange set then.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 21:35:16 »
Ok, thanks everyone. I'm going to grab the charred orange set then.

The Cryllic set is really nice as well.   And don't forget that you could easily find a nice set of OG Cherry WOB keys that are great, as long as you like WOB.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 21:50:10 »
I can't find "Spumoni", I assume it's a member here that does something cool.

Also, I just changed my order from browns, to clears... Yup, I'm hooked.

Here, it's a one of a kind Buckling Spring Click Clack
Show Image

No one really knows what it's worth, but it's one of a kind from Clack, so it must be bajillions.

I'm like 99% sure it's MX, not BS.  Right?  I've never seen any indication that it's BS.

Offline Hitcha

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 22:01:17 »
A 60% board with Cherry MX Greens. It only took 5 boards to figure out that it's all I ever really wanted in a keyboard.
Full Metal Poker II - http://imgur.com/a/xK2Uv

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 10:57:37 »
imsto thick caps are worth the wait. imsto is farely responsive but it does take a whike to receive them because they come from china.

Offline TheMark

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 12:53:54 »
Order placed with Originative, lets hope all goes well.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 14:47:39 »
If I could start all over, I would buy nothing.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 14:57:15 »

And I would use linux for everything instead of windows 7.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 15:35:02 »

And I would use linux for everything instead of windows 7.

No. You would use Windows 98.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline wharrislv

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 18:53:42 »
I'm going to agree that if you're going topre, getting the HHKB is a good choice, IF you're a unix or OSX dude.  For gaming you'll probably want a realforce.
Current daily drivers : HHKB Pro 2, HHKB Lite in a server rack, A few Filco numpads in brown and blue, Pure Pro in Brown with Rainbow PBT, CM Ninja in Brown with white engaved PBTs, two Model Ms 89 and 91 with a few red esc, Ergodox full in clear with blanks, a jdcarpe built 40% awaiting some Round 6 keycaps, and soon a Gon custom.  Hundreds more on site at a mechanical friendly work site where I am the purchaser.  If it exists, I probably have used one!

Offline TheMark

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 18:22:15 »
I received the KUL today with clears. The clears are a bit heavy for my liking. I hope I can get use to it...or I'll be ordering something else soon. (I should have stuck with browns)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 18:23:51 »
I received the KUL today with clears. The clears are a bit heavy for my liking. I hope I can get use to it...or I'll be ordering something else soon. (I should have stuck with browns)
Don't give up yet! You just got it. Use it for a month before you do anything rash. I didn't like clears (or reds or blacks) the first time I used them, either.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline TheMark

If you could start all over, what would you buy today?
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 18:43:34 »
Don't give up yet! You just got it. Use it for a month before you do anything rash. I didn't like clears (or reds or blacks) the first time I used them, either.

I'll give it at least a month. I found a board at work that had blacks in it, I didn't like the linear feel at all. So I think I'm restricted to blues/browns/clears.

I also received shipping confirmation on my charred orange GMK from Originative, should be here on Saturday.
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 July 2014, 19:21:13 by TheMark »

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 19:24:37 »
I did not like normal clears much either until I lubed them and switched them to 62G gold springs. #GODSWITCH

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 21:17:49 »

I'll give it at least a month. I found a board at work that had blacks in it, I didn't like the linear feel at all. So I think I'm restricted to blues/browns/clears.

I also received shipping confirmation on my charred orange GMK from Originative, should be here on Saturday.
You really have to give clears some time as you need to adjust your typing habits to the mechanics of the switch.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline TheMark

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 22:06:58 »
The Originative charred orange set came yesterday, one thing is already driving me crazy... I don't like the lack of a "bump" on the F and J keys... Guess I'm being difficult, but I'm having thoughts that I would have been better served with the Realforce board to begin with.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 22:23:24 »
The Originative charred orange set came yesterday, one thing is already driving me crazy... I don't like the lack of a "bump" on the F and J keys... Guess I'm being difficult, but I'm having thoughts that I would have been better served with the Realforce board to begin with.

Once you get used to using a keyboard, the lack of a bump shouldn't be an issue. Maybe one day you will despise the presence of home row bumps.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 09:12:31 »

But you've got scoops!!  Scoops are the best.   :D

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 09:17:56 »

But you've got scoops!!  Scoops are the best.   :D

Nubs < Scoops
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline TheMark

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 10:18:41 »
lol, I'm also in serious need of a wrist rest. This is getting expensive for a guy who just wanted a good keyboard. Its starting to dig into my other hobby budget.

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 10:39:18 »
Kishsaver...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 16:55:17 »
lol, I'm also in serious need of a wrist rest. This is getting expensive for a guy who just wanted a good keyboard. Its starting to dig into my other hobby budget.

Abandon all hope of other hobbies!

Next up you'll need a custom cable ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline TheMark

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 17:33:14 »

My wife would prefer me abandoning the RC helis... I spend more in batteries than a table full of keyboards.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 17:38:05 »

My wife would prefer me abandoning the RC helis... I spend more in batteries than a table full of keyboards.

Ouch!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline TheMark

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 11:44:55 »
Okay, I'm throwing in the towel. Today is my first full day of working withe the KUL w/clears, and Originative charred orange keys.

The Originative keys look AWESOME, but I hate the feel... I simply cannot get use to the cupped "F" and "J" keys (its an old dog, new tricks thing)

They keyboard itself is also a very high quality build, but the clears are just too tight. I'm spending far too much time re-typing missed characters.

Off to order the Realforce 87u...

My biggest problem, is that I cannot re-sell this KUL or the Originative keycaps until I've been here 60 days... which means I have to explain to the wife why I need another $250 for a keyboard :-(

Offline cruzin

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 15:28:06 »
Okay, I'm throwing in the towel. Today is my first full day of working withe the KUL w/clears, and Originative charred orange keys.

The Originative keys look AWESOME, but I hate the feel... I simply cannot get use to the cupped "F" and "J" keys (its an old dog, new tricks thing)

They keyboard itself is also a very high quality build, but the clears are just too tight. I'm spending far too much time re-typing missed characters.

My biggest problem, is that I cannot re-sell this KUL or the Originative keycaps until I've been here 60 days... which means I have to explain to the wife why I need another $250 for a keyboard :-(

Bummer you're not liking the clears. They're perfect for me. What is it about the scoops you don't like on the Originative keycaps? I was thinking about ordering a set from them.
Current: Ergodox (Ergo-clears) | Kinesis Advantage (Browns) -- Colemak
Future: HHKB Pro 2 | Maltron L90 | µtron | Axios

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 15:28:39 »
I would have definitely bought soldering tools BEFORE getting into customs lol. But I guess that's obvious.

Offline TheMark

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 16:03:30 »

Bummer you're not liking the clears. They're perfect for me. What is it about the scoops you don't like on the Originative keycaps? I was thinking about ordering a set from them.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the scoops, I've been typing my entire career with nubs, and 4hrs into the scoops this morning... I couldn't take it anymore. I needed the nubs to stay productive with my work.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 16:05:49 »
If I started over I would have gotten a Datamancer first.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 00:08:19 »
If I started over, I'd just start with custom boards but then again...I didn't really know what I wanted until I blew a bunch of money trying everything out... :rolleyes: