Author Topic: Old keyboard with no Windows key, can you bind keys ??  (Read 1896 times)

Offline da20valve

Old keyboard with no Windows key, can you bind keys ??
« on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 02:04:52 »
So I am using an old keyboard with alps switches but keep needing to do the Windows+E for explorer, I have no windows key and find it frustrating (cause I always have full screen going) can you bind a key for this function ??, BTW Ctrl +ESC is no help as I need explorer and not just the Windows function.

Windows 8 Ult 64 Bit
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 July 2014, 03:17:22 by da20valve »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Old keyboard with no Windows key, can you bind keys ??
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 02:40:09 »
I think you can remap another key to be windows using a program like autohotkey for windows.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 13:11:24 »
Grab sharpkeys and remap it at the OS level instead of ****ing around with AHK. Scroll Lock is a good candidate since it is otherwise useless but is not in the most convenient spot, Caps Lock is the next most obvious choice, or use one of redundant alt or control keys if you generally only use one side.

Offline da20valve

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 03:26:20 »
THANKYOU, Sharpkeys worked a treat.

Offline M-88

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 14:06:41 »
Funny story with this ...

At work I found a Model M and started using it. I am a 'keyboarder' and not a 'mouser' ... I cant function without the windows key.

However, a lot of the  applications I use, require pause and scroll lock.

First thing I did was remap the right control and alt keys to be windows key and context menu keys.

I ended up remapping a few other things.

Few months later, I got a new coworker and he was given my old computer. Not a problem for me; I just attached the model M to the new computer and set up my key maps.

He still uses my old computer and sometimes gets confused by the odd things it does. Switched out 3 or 4 keyboards, too.