Author Topic: Water spill - what to do  (Read 1067 times)

Offline aquatic

Water spill - what to do
« on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 03:28:38 »
I spilled some water over a filco majestouch 2 yesterday. At first I thought that it was just a little water so I just dried it off. Today i noticed some keys not always registering. So I took the keyboard apart, and some water poured out of it. I guess I spilled more water than I thought. Anyway, after having poured out the water, keys seems to register fine, but I noticed the scroll lock led blinking, instead of being on or off. I have removed the case and left the keyboard to dry, but is there anything more I can do to save it?

I saw threads recommending pouring alcohol over it. Is that to late? What kind of alcohol should I use?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Water spill - what to do
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 03:50:55 »
Rubbing alcohol is generally recommended if sticky liquids have found their way into a keyboard - to dissolve the sugars or whatever else is making it sticky.

In your case if it was just (pure?) water, you should unplug the keyboard and let it throughly dry.

Hopefully the controller is not damaged - the flickering might be intermittent artificial contact brought about by water residue in the keyboard.

If it is not under warranty (if it is - ssshhh!) it might be an idea to disassemble the keyboard (at least remove the case) so that all of the internal parts can dry properly.

I'll also mention that your GH username is somewhat ironic.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 05:44:31 »
I'll also mention that your GH username is somewhat ironic.

First thing I noticed, too.

Anyhow... OP... do you live in a house with central air or window units? If so, putting wet electronics on the vents is a sure way to dehydrate them in a hurry; A/C basically creates a desert climate when it comes to moisture. I've saved a keyboard, couple of cell phones, a camera this way.

If you don't have it, just try aiming a fan across it and just have patience before you plug it back in.

My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline HotKillerZzz

• Ammesia
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 03:07:59 »
Don't use it again, might worsen the situation. You can try leaving it in a bag of rice for a few days. The rice will suck up the water.

Offline Andy_Nixeus

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Nixeus Tech, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 10:49:12 »
i actually had the same exact problem as you did. what i did was unplug my keyboard and used a ps2 keyboard for about 2 days. i plugged back in my water damaged mech keyboard and it strated working fine again. the scroll lock and the caps lock did not start blinking crazy. i am guessing it just needs time to dry
I am here to help. So let me help ! =D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 18:46:39 »
Water itself is not likely to do much damage- it is the chemicals and salts in water that conduct electricity and cause shorts, and also cause corrosion.

If you caught it early enough, and nothing shorted (!) you should be fine once it is properly dry.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ