Author Topic: plum Morphling KB-87 wireless keyboard mini-review and key information  (Read 13212 times)

Offline P3TC0CK

I ordered up the plum Morphling keyboard a couple weeks ago on aliexpress and have been happily typing away and testing all the features of the keyboard out for the past few days. The morphling KB-87 is a wireless, black-lit* tenkeyless mechanical keyboard with relatively thick laser-etched ABS keycaps. You also have the option of using the keyboard with a wire if you have a mini USB cable, which is included with the keyboard along with a plastic key puller. It is available in both Cherry MX Black and Cherry MX Red.

The wireless technology is your standard 2.4 ghz wireless, and it comes with a small dongle you attach to your PC/ USB hub.

I am able to press 6 keys at once in the AquaKey test program, so going from that I assume it has 6KRO, but I have no idea if that's an accurate way to gauge what the roll over is.

The keyboard feels nice and sturdy and it have a nice feel to it and has a nice weight when being carried. Although I wouldn't say that the build quality is extraordinary, it is more than adequate.

The back light is  a nice red and looks great through the etched caps. There are no controls for the light level so you can't turn it off and it is turned off during wireless operation, presumably to save battery power.

Lock keys function in either mode and have a strong blue LED light to indicate when a lock key is pressed.

Plum has some of their own unique function keys which interact with the keyboard only. Here is my description from the imgur album here:

FN + F9: Switches CTRL and Caps Lock placement. From what I've read this is for Linux and Unix users, but it's also useful for gaming.

FN + F10, FN + F11: Lower and Raise "Tremble Control". This is something I haven't seen on other brands. The higher the Tremble control of the keyboard, the less light keyboard stroke/errant hits will be registered by the keyboard. There's no way to measure the level it's at but you can definitely tell the keys no longer register the same way when raising the tremble control.

FN + F12: The button to connect to he wireless adapter. Press it once and a blue light will pulse under the caps key and the keyboard and USB adapter will pair.

FN + PrtSc: Turns on NumLock, which turns the right third of your keyboard into a full num pad.

FN + Esc: Turns off the num pad if you have the numlock key activated. Not sure what the purpose of this is, and is redundant since you can simply turn off NumLock.

The Morphling also has the ability to turn off the windows key (FN + R) and all your other standard windows function keys  scattered about the keyboard.

There is also an image of a crossed out bulb on F7, but it has nothing to do with the back light.

On the back of the keyboard there are 3 channels to guide your cable through with 5 cable exits to choose from. 4 rubber feet keep the keyboard in place with additional rubber on the risers which keep your keyboard stable when it is propped up. The switch to activate the wireless is also in the miniusb well which must be put on the the "-" symbol to start pairing. The keyboard will attempt to pair if it is not plugged in through the USB port and a blue light will pulse  when it is attempting to pair.

I've had some issues with the wireless connectivity while using the keyboard, but I think my Anker G200 wireless mouse is what is at fault as it has interfered with my wireless internet cards in the past and my wireless connection worked great when the mouse was disconnected. Aside from that one issue (which will be fixed as I am waiting for a new wireless mouse to arrive in the mail) I have had no issues with the wireless connection thus far. I've had no issues with my wireless Logitech headset which I continue to use with the keyboard.

This keyboard isn't for everyone. If you're happy using a wired keyboard, there are better options out there for the same price.  If you're looking for a wireless keyboard or one that has wireless capability, then this is probably  the best keyboard for you. It has a decent build, some great functions, and maintains a strong wireless signal.

I would be hard pressed to recommend this for living room/around the house use though as Rapoo makes what looks like a great wireless mechanical keyboard for casual use. Although that uses Kailh yellow switches which is a discussion for another day.

If this does end up being your first keyboard, I would recommend you buy some lubricant for the keys as mine came dry and my space bar was pretty squeaky.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 July 2014, 07:42:33 by P3TC0CK »
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun
1. a small valve or faucet, as for draining off excess or waste material from the cylinder of a steam engine or an internal-combustion engine.

Offline P3TC0CK

Did not include the price and link to the place I  bought it from. I bought mine for 109 USD + free shipping here. The MX red is 114 USD + free shipping here.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 July 2014, 08:10:39 by P3TC0CK »
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun
1. a small valve or faucet, as for draining off excess or waste material from the cylinder of a steam engine or an internal-combustion engine.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
Hrmm I like this board, could be a good replacement for my Filco. Would need to swap the switches out for clears and remove the LED's though.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
I'm surprised there is not more wireless mechs. Seems decent enough. Thanks for the review.

Offline awong

• ★★★★★★★★★★★★
Can Keyboard fit in Metal case?

Offline P3TC0CK

I'm sure if you made one it could fit in it. I'm not sure what you mean? Is there a specific case you had in mind?

I can measure the keyboard and see if you can give me an idea of what case you're talking about.
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com

I'm sure if you made one it could fit in it. I'm not sure what you mean? Is there a specific case you had in mind?

I can measure the keyboard and see if you can give me an idea of what case you're talking about.

I think he wants to know if the wireless transmission fails if you put the keyboard inside a metal case.

My guess: it will fail.

Offline P3TC0CK

I think he wants to know if the wireless transmission fails if you put the keyboard inside a metal case.

I'll try it out when I'm at the gaming cafe later today. All the computers are in metal shelves above our heads but we have USB hubs under them to plug things in. The cases are perforated in areas but I can try to find a location with the most amount of material that could block the signal and tell you guys what I get.
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com

I'll try it out when I'm at the gaming cafe later today. All the computers are in metal shelves above our heads but we have USB hubs under them to plug things in. The cases are perforated in areas but I can try to find a location with the most amount of material that could block the signal and tell you guys what I get.

If the metal casing blocks the RF, frankly the keyboard cannot be blamed.

And anyway, I would not try to put a wireless keyboard inside a metal housing. It would be heavier, and this reduces the portability that is supposed to be an advantage for such a keyboard.

I sometimes use an USB keyboard on my MacBook Air, but it drains the computer's battery. The problem is, the keyboard draws power even when the Mac is off (the keyboard can wake up the computer, so the computer provides power to the keyboard all the time!). I have to unplug the keyboard when I put the Mac in sleep mode, which is kind of ridiculous.

A wireless mechanical would solve this problem (and NO, I don't want a wireless Minila).

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
I ordered up the plum Morphling keyboard a couple weeks ago on aliexpress and have been happily typing away and testing all the features of the keyboard out for the past few days. The morphling KB-87 is a wireless, black-lit* tenkeyless mechanical keyboard with relatively thick laser-etched ABS keycaps. You also have the option of using the keyboard with a wire if you have a mini USB cable, which is included with the keyboard along with a plastic key puller. It is available in both Cherry MX Black and Cherry MX Red.

The wireless technology is your standard 2.4 ghz wireless, and it comes with a small dongle you attach to your PC/ USB hub.

I am able to press 6 keys at once in the AquaKey test program, so going from that I assume it has 6KRO, but I have no idea if that's an accurate way to gauge what the roll over is.

Show Image

The keyboard feels nice and sturdy and it have a nice feel to it and has a nice weight when being carried. Although I wouldn't say that the build quality is extraordinary, it is more than adequate.

Show Image

Show Image

The back light is  a nice red and looks great through the etched caps. There are no controls for the light level so you can't turn it off and it is turned off during wireless operation, presumably to save battery power.

Lock keys function in either mode and have a strong blue LED light to indicate when a lock key is pressed.

Show Image

Plum has some of their own unique function keys which interact with the keyboard only. Here is my description from the imgur album here:

FN + F9: Switches CTRL and Caps Lock placement. From what I've read this is for Linux and Unix users, but it's also useful for gaming.

FN + F10, FN + F11: Lower and Raise "Tremble Control". This is something I haven't seen on other brands. The higher the Tremble control of the keyboard, the less light keyboard stroke/errant hits will be registered by the keyboard. There's no way to measure the level it's at but you can definitely tell the keys no longer register the same way when raising the tremble control.

FN + F12: The button to connect to he wireless adapter. Press it once and a blue light will pulse under the caps key and the keyboard and USB adapter will pair.

FN + PrtSc: Turns on NumLock, which turns the right third of your keyboard into a full num pad.

FN + Esc: Turns off the num pad if you have the numlock key activated. Not sure what the purpose of this is, and is redundant since you can simply turn off NumLock.

The Morphling also has the ability to turn off the windows key (FN + R) and all your other standard windows function keys  scattered about the keyboard.

There is also an image of a crossed out bulb on F7, but it has nothing to do with the back light.

Show Image

On the back of the keyboard there are 3 channels to guide your cable through with 5 cable exits to choose from. 4 rubber feet keep the keyboard in place with additional rubber on the risers which keep your keyboard stable when it is propped up. The switch to activate the wireless is also in the miniusb well which must be put on the the "-" symbol to start pairing. The keyboard will attempt to pair if it is not plugged in through the USB port and a blue light will pulse  when it is attempting to pair.

I've had some issues with the wireless connectivity while using the keyboard, but I think my Anker G200 wireless mouse is what is at fault as it has interfered with my wireless internet cards in the past and my wireless connection worked great when the mouse was disconnected. Aside from that one issue (which will be fixed as I am waiting for a new wireless mouse to arrive in the mail) I have had no issues with the wireless connection thus far. I've had no issues with my wireless Logitech headset which I continue to use with the keyboard.

Show Image

This keyboard isn't for everyone. If you're happy using a wired keyboard, there are better options out there for the same price.  If you're looking for a wireless keyboard or one that has wireless capability, then this is probably  the best keyboard for you. It has a decent build, some great functions, and maintains a strong wireless signal.

I would be hard pressed to recommend this for living room/around the house use though as Rapoo makes what looks like a great wireless mechanical keyboard for casual use. Although that uses Kailh yellow switches which is a discussion for another day.

If this does end up being your first keyboard, I would recommend you buy some lubricant for the keys as mine came dry and my space bar was pretty squeaky.

Can you tell us if it uses Cherry or Costar (wires) stabilizers?

I have a very nice set of Filco doubleshot keycaps that unfortunately can be used only with Costar stabs, and I would like to know if I can put them on this keyboard.

Thank you in advance for the info.

Offline P3TC0CK

Re: plum Morphling KB-87 wireless keyboard mini-review and key information
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 12:06:52 »

Can you tell us if it uses Cherry or Costar (wires) stabilizers?

I have a very nice set of Filco doubleshot keycaps that unfortunately can be used only with Costar stabs, and I would like to know if I can put them on this keyboard.

Thank you in advance for the info.

I remember reading plum used their own stabilizers so I'm not sure. It might not be compatible with either. I think they may be costar stablizers looking at general images on google and from what I saw under my keyboard. They use those same white brackets that costars apparently have.

I'll try and take pictures once I get home.
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun

Offline P3TC0CK

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 03:38:56 »

Here is a picture of the stabilizers. I've added them to the imgur album here.

I assume these are costar stabilizers from the look of them?
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 July 2014, 08:13:47 by P3TC0CK »
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 12:30:28 »
Show Image

Here is a picture of the stabilizers. I've added them to the imgur album here.

I assume these are costar stabilizers from the look of them?

Thank you for posting the picture.

Yes, it looks like Costars stabs, or compatible. So my doubleshot keycaps would most probably fit.