Author Topic: Custom 42% for Dvorak  (Read 15744 times)

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
Custom 42% for Dvorak
« on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 18:30:15 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 July 2018, 01:04:37 by Joey Quinn »
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline cribbit

Re: Custom 42% for Dvorak
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 18:42:09 »
Personally, http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/2e593596fba6092a28f90dd6b8d9a028 is my goal custom made layout. Spacebar is a 2-stem one so that you can move the spacebar to other areas if you need to. Full programmable and customizeable for any layout/moving spacebar. Lots of spare macro/fn keys make up for the tiny size. Hardest part for me will be physically making the controller so that I can program it.
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 18:46:31 »
Personally, http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/2e593596fba6092a28f90dd6b8d9a028 is my goal custom made layout. Spacebar is a 2-stem one so that you can move the spacebar to other areas if you need to. Full programmable and customizeable for any layout/moving spacebar. Lots of spare macro/fn keys make up for the tiny size. Hardest part for me will be physically making the controller so that I can program it.

We copied the controller from the GH60
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 19:15:04 »
I'll post pictures of the first pcb, the first layout, and concept pictures, plus go over our mistakes if anyone is interested!

Interested! :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline adventurepoop

• I make keyboards, I guess.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 19:19:53 »
my 43% layout apparently works with dvorak. http://ne0.cc/laygenV2/#2i6YQ

http://ne0.cc/laygenV2/#MH9qx

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 21:14:02 »
The initial PCB design was pretty easy once we followed a tutorial and experimented a bit. Here is our KiCad drawing
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

We ordered the PCBs from osh park because purple, I highly recommend them the PCB was high quality and they delivered in almost exactly the two weeks they predicted also their website is really easy to use.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

I was so stoked when it arrived so i decided to put caps on bare switches and just see how everything lined up.  :eek: MFW I see the gap between the two keys in the bottom row [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] . Everything else was fine but we messed up the gap you are most likely to look at. After a short talk with my friend we decided to just use the board as a prototype and accept the loss. So I popped the switches out and begin to solder smds but I quickly noticed two more mistakes first we flipped the slikscreen so our names were mirrored and on top of that the pads we used for our smds were the exact width of the smd meaning they were almost impossible to hand solder. Overall the PCB was one giant add for measure twice cut once. One final hint for anyone who wants to make a keyboard base your units off of .75in not 19.05mm it will save you a lot of time and weird numbers. 
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 July 2018, 01:07:20 by Joey Quinn »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 21:27:37 »
Things almost never work out 100% on your first draft. That's a really nice looking keyboard! Great job, you guys. Please post updates as you progress. My design was an exercise in minimalism, but I know there are some who really need a little extra for that certain layout (Dvorak, Colemak).
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 July 2014, 21:54:43 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 21:31:18 »
Next major update should come in two ish weeks when the new switch plate and revised pcb come. Also I've wanted to ask you a question how long is the JD40 with it's case?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 21:55:34 »
Next major update should come in two ish weeks when the new switch plate and revised pcb come. Also I've wanted to ask you a question how long is the JD40 with it's case?

The case I designed is 9.75 inches long. :)

in memoriam

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 22:43:14 »

Does such 2u key exist or would it be custom? Also thats a pretty sick idea, I like all the extra buttons on the bottom row.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 22:47:56 »
my 43% layout apparently works with dvorak. http://ne0.cc/laygenV2/#2i6YQ

http://ne0.cc/laygenV2/#MH9qx

Thats really similar to mine, just has a different bottom row.

Offline daschwa

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 10:07:19 »
Friend checking in. Here is our revB layout.

Offline cribbit

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 10:55:31 »

Does such 2u key exist or would it be custom? Also thats a pretty sick idea, I like all the extra buttons on the bottom row.

Thanks! The key exists but is rare. Not too hard to get custom ordered, though it would cost $5 for just a single non-cosmetic key.

How much did that sort of PCB cost you? That's one thing I'm still leery on, how exactly to get all the electrical stuff done so I can get to the programming stuff.
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 11:42:22 »
you guys are in luck; I happened to be reading this because I'm looking for ideas about keyboard controllers.

I do have a bunch of 2-key wide or 2-key high keys from my Tipros. These are from a matrix layout, so they are exactly standard width between keys (I've tried).

It'll cost me $1.10 to post anywhere in the world. I can send 4 lettered relegendables or 2 blank relegendables for the price of a $2 geekhack donation (don't pay me; ask the mods how to donate).
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline cribbit

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 12:00:07 »
you guys are in luck; I happened to be reading this because I'm looking for ideas about keyboard controllers.

I do have a bunch of 2-key wide or 2-key high keys from my Tipros. These are from a matrix layout, so they are exactly standard width between keys (I've tried).

It'll cost me $1.10 to post anywhere in the world. I can send 4 lettered relegendables or 2 blank relegendables for the price of a $2 geekhack donation (don't pay me; ask the mods how to donate).

You're a saint.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 15:07:35 »

Thanks! The key exists but is rare. Not too hard to get custom ordered, though it would cost $5 for just a single non-cosmetic key.

How much did that sort of PCB cost you? That's one thing I'm still leery on, how exactly to get all the electrical stuff done so I can get to the programming stuff.

It was $140 for three from Osh Park, Advanced circuits would have been $120 for four

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 17:43:19 »
Update time!!!

Placed the final order today!

The order was for the switch and base plates for the boards, we are getting them from a company called Chicago metal fabricators. Total cost for three sets was $262.20. When I arrive home later this week I'll post pictures of all the components and start assembly!  :thumb:

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 00:54:35 »
Update time!!!

The order was for the switch and base plates for the boards, we are getting them from a company called Chicago metal fabricators. Total cost for three sets was $262.20. When I arrive home later this week I'll post pictures of all the components and start assembly!  :thumb:
So excited!

Steel or aluminium? Laser or water cut plates?

Offline Gamingnow

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 14:57:34 »
Update time!!!

What switches are you planning on using?
Poker II [MX Blues]

Offline JackMills

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 15:39:55 »
This looks very nice, I had a similar thought after trying to fit a colemak layout to the JD40. Where you guys are already making it happen, I am still in the dreaming fase.
How was it using the KiCad, I have no experience using ECAD-software, it`s holding me back of actually designing my board.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 21:43:51 »
I'm also really digging the optional side-exit of the USB port. This is one of my favourite designs for a small keyboard.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 16:31:33 »
Update time!!!

So excited!

Steel or aluminium? Laser or water cut plates?

Laser cut stainless steel, I planned on leaving it unfinished but I may decide to paint it once I get the plates.

I'm also really digging the optional side-exit of the USB port. This is one of my favourite designs for a small keyboard.

My friends and I all use Mac Book Pros so we wanted easy usb runs
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 August 2014, 16:33:28 by Joey Quinn »

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 16:42:07 »
What switches are you planning on using?

The plan is to use whites but I have ergo clears (favorite switch) set aside if I don't like them. The plate has cutouts for stem swapping so experimentation will probably happen! I may try the jail house mod on the whites ;)

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 16:52:55 »
This looks very nice, I had a similar thought after trying to fit a colemak layout to the JD40. Where you guys are already making it happen, I am still in the dreaming fase.
How was it using the KiCad, I have no experience using ECAD-software, it`s holding me back of actually designing my board.

It was really easy to learn, we used a short tutorial then just figured out the rest on the fly.

this is it, hope it helps!

Offline abjr

• abjr.org
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 11:29:36 »
One final hint for anyone who wants to make a keyboard base your units off of .75in not 19.05mm it will save you a lot of time and weird numbers.

Any issue with just basing your keyboard units on 19mm?
CM QFR | magicforce 68 (Gateron) | magicforce 68 (Outemu) | Acros 6311-K

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 15:38:10 »
One final hint for anyone who wants to make a keyboard base your units off of .75in not 19.05mm it will save you a lot of time and weird numbers.

Any issue with just basing your keyboard units on 19mm?

For one unit keys that should work but you may encounter issues with longer keys like a 6.25 or 7u space. I'd still say to just use .75in and make your life easier, also all the data that cherry provides on their switches is in inches.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 16:10:40 »
Updated Op!

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 18:48:55 »
Updated Op!
Color me impressed!

So, when you attach the atmega, do you solder one wire at a time, or lay down a bunch of solder paste and bring out the heat gun? Just looking at that thing makes me cringe, and I stopped worrying about the diodes I put on the ergodox awhile ago ... Only one pin to worry about there, though.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 22:23:29 »
Updated Op!
Color me impressed!

So, when you attach the atmega, do you solder one wire at a time, or lay down a bunch of solder paste and bring out the heat gun? Just looking at that thing makes me cringe, and I stopped worrying about the diodes I put on the ergodox awhile ago ... Only one pin to worry about there, though.

I soldered the whole row all at once and used extra flux to move the solder to where I wanted it.

Offline Auryon

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 23:58:19 »
nice board looks great!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 00:09:26 »
I caught a brief glimpse of this in the development phase, and now that it's come together I'm really liking it! Great project and nice work.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 16:49:42 »
That's excellent!

Where's "z" ? Do you share it with up arrow?

Overall a great layout for a 42% keyboard. Good choice on Dvorak as well.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 18:15:03 »
That's excellent!

Where's "z" ? Do you share it with up arrow?

Overall a great layout for a 42% keyboard. Good choice on Dvorak as well.

Thanks, I've been debating whether I should do full time arrows and fn z or do the opposite. Right now my plan is to try it both ways.

Offline nomaded

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 22:36:25 »
That looks very nice. I love that you split the single space bar to 2 separate ones, so you can program the 2 independently.

As for the 'z' vs up arrow, I would suggest using the 4 bottom right keys for the arrows, vi-style, instead of the inverted-T.

I might even assign the Fn/layer toggle to one of the "space" bar keys, that way you can hold the Fn/layer toggle with a thumb and have easy access to the rest of the keyboard. In this manner, you could hold the Fn/layer toggle with your left thumb, and shift your hand down to the bottom right, and still have the inverted-T for your arrows.
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad
Current Dvorak-based ErgoDox layout || Current Dvorak-based TECK layout

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 23:54:41 »
As for the 'z' vs up arrow, I would suggest using the 4 bottom right keys for the arrows, vi-style, instead of the inverted-T.

one potential issue with this is that the leftmost of those four keys (labelled control) is larger than the other three.

changing one of the thumbkeys to be fn layer toggle is a great idea if you plan to use funtion-area things pretty frequently compared with using it as (for example) backspace.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 10:30:11 »

one potential issue with this is that the leftmost of those four keys (labelled control) is larger than the other three.

changing one of the thumbkeys to be fn layer toggle is a great idea if you plan to use funtion-area things pretty frequently compared with using it as (for example) backspace.

I suppose the caps are confusing, the 1.25u key to the left of the arrows will be a fn, I'll be using the left space key as a backspace.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 01:07:06 »
I suggest:

Slightly wider (more like “45%” maybe?), but I think it’s easier to make a layout similar to standard keyboards on this version.

Also, dedicated arrow keys are super overrated. ;)

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 10:10:17 »
I suggest:
Show Image

Slightly wider (more like “45%” maybe?), but I think it’s easier to make a layout similar to standard keyboards on this version.

Also, dedicated arrow keys are super overrated. ;)

May work for you but I never use the right ctrl or alt so I thought why not arrows,  I may end up using them as shift keys for function layers. Also your layout isn't dvorak compatible and the two space keys are 3.125u which don't exist and if they do would be hard to find.   

Edit: The spaces are 3u I thought the left most key was 1.5u
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 August 2014, 10:13:01 by Joey Quinn »

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 12:32:04 »
Also your layout isn't dvorak compatible
Technically no 40% is qwerty compatible and no 45% is dvorak compatible.

It's a column wider than a "normal" 40% so you can get the "s" on the homerow. I see no reason not to move the - to the function layer: that's half the point of dvroak. and his proposed layout has the same "z issue" as yours, where that one key can be used as "z" or right shift or a modifier or whatever.

I do like dedicated arrows, since I don't use the right modifiers either. It's one reason my pure gets used more than my poker 2.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 13:07:39 »
bumping for curiosity. Any changes / revisions? I actually got excited enough to look into how much it would probably take to have a small GB ... PCBwing wasn't useful until about 40 copies were made ... seedstudio seems to be able to make them for $14+ / each at five, or $8.50 if nine other folks wanted one ... just making a bunch of guesses about the requirements of the thing, and also that's before so much as buying the atmega32u4 let alone soldering the thing on.

Someday I want to build one with no daughterboard ... maybe one like this will be it?

So, would you be willing to share your kicad files?

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 13:50:35 »
bumping for curiosity. Any changes / revisions? I actually got excited enough to look into how much it would probably take to have a small GB ... PCBwing wasn't useful until about 40 copies were made ... seedstudio seems to be able to make them for $14+ / each at five, or $8.50 if nine other folks wanted one ... just making a bunch of guesses about the requirements of the thing, and also that's before so much as buying the atmega32u4 let alone soldering the thing on.

Someday I want to build one with no daughterboard ... maybe one like this will be it?

So, would you be willing to share your kicad files?
dems some good pricing. I'd be down for 1 or 2 if someone tells me how to program it once I solder the blank chip to it. Would your SS plate place be willing to make up a small run of plates?

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 15:20:03 »
dems some good pricing. I'd be down for 1 or 2 if someone tells me how to program it once I solder the blank chip to it. Would your SS plate place be willing to make up a small run of plates?

I'm sure they would. I was considering an extended design with the edges bent back, then under, for a complete "case" like I think I've seen on some Korean customs. Sixteen gauge aluminum? Should be doable if there's ten in the group; I'm estimating less than $20 per plate after bending but that's pulled from you-know-where.

I need to talk to them anyway so next chance I get to go up there I'll bring this job up; probably lump it in with round three of Ergodox-in-Metal.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 16:05:14 »
See if you can get stainless steel, I think aluminium may be too light for a 40%. Such a case was done by DOX, then by samwisekoi, then by GON, and now by Massdrop's upcoming KB projects. I think it's a great case design.

You have to make sure the bend is far enough back from the holes to prevent the weak switch holes from bending instead of the bend line. Another option is to cut holes in the bend line, etc.

Offline adventurepoop

• I make keyboards, I guess.
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 08:00:02 »
I would be down for a small GB if cheap enough.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 21:55:38 »
Here's the deal with this board. From the beginning we planned to make it open source and maybe do a group buy deal however as it currently stands the board is unprogrammed and thus untested. I'd love to be able to just program the board myself and finish the project but I know absolutely nothing about any coding language. I'm simply waiting on a friend to figure it out and as it stands he could take a while. If anyone knows about programming atmega32u4s please let me know because it will really speed this up. Once the board is working the files for it will be released and I'll start a GB, as far as the plate is concerned there are a few issues with it that I'm not sure how to fix. Hopefully someone like The_Beast can school me on proper plate making.

Right now we are aiming for a late september early october completion and shortly there after working on a small batch. If anyone really wants a look at the plate files either to offer insight or to make one contact me but remember to do so at your own risk as this is still a prototype.

TLDR
I need help programming an atmega32u4
maybe some help modifying the plate
looking at a month or so before a gb is possible

Thanks for all the interest in this project, hold in there, we won't disappoint  :thumb:

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 10:57:30 »
atmega 32u4 is very commonly used and several keyboard firmwares already exist for it.

I would use soarers, but it's currently closed source.
metalliqaz' is also awesome, but he will have ot add your matrix to his software. also closed (but with very good reasons 'cause he's awesome)
Hasu's TMK_firmware shoudl work with no problem, but you have to build it from source (i'm too lazy to do that)
The phantom firmware can be modified to suit your matrix as well.

Even if you do want to make your own, I recommend using one of the above for testing.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 11:39:57 »
Here's the deal with this board. From the beginning we planned to make it open source and maybe do a group buy deal however as it currently stands the board is unprogrammed and thus untested. I'd love to be able to just program the board myself and finish the project but I know absolutely nothing about any coding language. I'm simply waiting on a friend to figure it out and as it stands he could take a while. If anyone knows about programming atmega32u4s please let me know because it will really speed this up. Once the board is working the files for it will be released and I'll start a GB, as far as the plate is concerned there are a few issues with it that I'm not sure how to fix. Hopefully someone like The_Beast can school me on proper plate making.

Right now we are aiming for a late september early october completion and shortly there after working on a small batch. If anyone really wants a look at the plate files either to offer insight or to make one contact me but remember to do so at your own risk as this is still a prototype.

TLDR

Thanks for all the interest in this project, hold in there, we won't disappoint  :thumb:

If you will PM me the details of how your matrix is connected to each pin on the ATmega, I can code a TMK firmware for you.

Also, I can probably help with the plate, if you let me know what needs work.

in memoriam

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 06 September 2014, 23:13:43 »

TLDR

If you will PM me the details of how your matrix is connected to each pin on the ATmega, I can code a TMK firmware for you.

Thanks I'll pm you about the plate it's really minor changes. I really need a better understanding of how flip works or if there is something better to use to program the atmega. The 42 uses the same controller as the GH60 so info on flashing that should be useful, I think komar has a thread somewhere. As far as custom firmware goes I'll worry about that later.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 00:56:08 »

TLDR

Thanks I'll pm you about the plate it's really minor changes. I really need a better understanding of how flip works or if there is something better to use to program the atmega. The 42 uses the same controller as the GH60 so info on flashing that should be useful, I think komar has a thread somewhere. As far as custom firmware goes I'll worry about that later.

I can let you know about flip. The program itself is pretty easy to use. You basically open the firmware, open the USB port and then click on the icons all in a row. I use it all the time.

The hardest part (for me) is figuring out how to get my atmel chip into that mode you need it to be in to use flip.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 15:43:47 »
Sorry for the lack of information but something family related happened that really required my attention. I'll get back to this project as soon as I can.