Author Topic: Vortex Releases Backlit, *PBT* Keycaps  (Read 40412 times)

Offline Aidenknives

Re: Vortex Releases Backlit, *PBT* Keycaps
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 20:26:55 »
I am asking for one with characters that are towards the middle/bottom of the key for boards that have LED's on the other side of the switch. Such as KBP V60, Ducky Mini etc...

Offline Barracuda

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 04:46:26 »
When will these actually go for sale? It's been quite a while now...
Looking for a matte Blackout V2!

Offline pbtforever

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 12:28:50 »
PBTForever!

Offline Cangai

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 05:23:22 »
It is said that it uses PBT+POM doubleshot. (POM for the letter part)

I have one of those Deck Hassium Pros US DS PBT. Does that use POM lettering? I assume this is normal, its kinda rare to find DS illuminated keycaps. In fact Deck's Hassium US version and this Vortex set are the only two I know of that are.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61149.0

guessing these go together?

Why do both of these guys light up the symbols on the numbers only?
That's one of the things I like about the Deck Hassium, is the numbers are next to the symbol, therefore you can see both and it doesn't look weird.

I would have jumped on this before, but I've figured out that I like non filled, engraved caps over doubleshots for backlit keyboards.

They look blank when the light is off, and you can see the legends when the light is on.

It makes reactive typing modes look awesome
I prefer them be visible without back lighting, which is something I like about my Deck Hassium, it's kind of a dull white.

Do we know what the spacebar is made of? I have heard the Deck spacebar is made of ABS due to the warping problem.

This is the stem arrangement on the Deck Spacebar http://deskthority.net/wiki/Space_bar_dimensions#6.25_units_.28118mm_wide.2C_3_mounts.2C_40mm_apart.29 would the vortex space bar fit on this board?
Leopold FC500R (Brown Cherry MX)
Deck Hassium Pro US (Brown Cherry MX)

Offline qwack

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 06:42:43 »
Do we know what the spacebar is made of? I have heard the Deck spacebar is made of ABS due to the warping problem.

As seen on the photo posted above, the spacebar looks markedly different than the other keys, so I'm afraid it may be ABS too  :(

Pure Pro w/MX Red - [review]

Offline Cangai

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 06:50:32 »

As seen on the photo posted above, the spacebar looks markedly different than the other keys, so I'm afraid it may be ABS too  :(
Probably is, the matte finish the deck one has makes it look indistinguishable from the other keys (but that's probably because it is still new).

Somewhere I read it is difficult to manufacture PBT spacebars. Obviously doubleshot is pointless because spacebars don't have legends.
Leopold FC500R (Brown Cherry MX)
Deck Hassium Pro US (Brown Cherry MX)

Offline CSCoder4ever

• If it clicks I dig it
    • my github
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 08:05:19 »
Wow these look really nice! 10 / 10 Do want!
Rosewill RK-9100; Poker II; Magicforce 68; Planck; WASDv2 TKL; Corsair k65; minivan; tada68;

*buntu - Debian - OpenBSD

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 13:55:39 »
words hneeeeeeeee  :thumb:
c h e r

Offline qwack

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 06 September 2014, 12:33:00 »
Aaand here they are: http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1003

Unfortunately, all pictures suggest that the spacebar is indeed made of shiny ABS  :mad:

Offline Barracuda

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 06 September 2014, 12:35:44 »
Aaand here they are: http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1003

Unfortunately, all pictures suggest that the spacebar is indeed made of shiny ABS  :mad:

:O :O And the white ones?
Looking for a matte Blackout V2!

Offline qwack

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 06 September 2014, 13:18:11 »
They are not listed yet. In any case, there may be a drop on both colors sometime soon.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 04:55:24 »
The spacebar is indeed doubleshot (stupid glowy icon on the front of it), but looks like ABS... That really sucks and detracts from the desirability of these sets a lot (it's noticably different, not subtle). I'd rather they just used a plain PBT spacebar like the one from this set: http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=774

I don't mind a warped PBT spacebar, that's fixable with some hot water, a flat surface and a bit of weight.

The photos I have seen of the white set don't have that weird icon on the spacebar and it looks like the rest of the caps, so it may be PBT.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline qwack

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 07:45:33 »
I'd rather they just used a plain PBT spacebar like the one from this set: http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=774

Agreed. What is the point of offering a PBT set if the key which is the most prone to shining is still ABS ?  :mad:

Offline gatorjon

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 19:10:11 »
These are available for order right now with ETA tomorrow.

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1003

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 05:06:15 »
I'd rather they just used a plain PBT spacebar like the one from this set: http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=774

Agreed. What is the point of offering a PBT set if the key which is the most prone to shining is still ABS ?  :mad:

This... Not going to bother with this set.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline qwack

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 06:04:18 »
For $33 I'll probably still give it a try (will be my first Vortex doubleshot PBT set) and use another spacebar.

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 07:39:40 »
c h e r

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 20:42:13 »
These are available for order right now with ETA tomorrow.

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1003

ETA says the 12th now lol.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline nahka

• Did you see that, Fio?
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 14:58:40 »
Reddit post with imgur album and low light pic about this set

The spacebar apparently is PBT after all.

Poker II
    Reds

Offline qwack

« Reply #69 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 18:31:42 »
This is great news!

Offline Aidenknives

« Reply #70 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 15:16:24 »
White is in stock  - http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1008 - and the price went up! Yay! :rolleyes:

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 05:17:06 »
Reddit post with imgur album and low light pic about this set

The spacebar apparently is PBT after all.

Nice, singleshot spacebar, no logos. Much better than the one in the promo shot. May be worth a try after all.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline STR8_AN94BALLER

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 23:46:14 »
Any place that ships from / near the SEA region? Most retailers I see is in the US or the EU :/
Rig | 5820K - 16G 2400 - AMP GTX1080 - 850EVO 1TB - EVGA 750G2 - W7U
P870DM3 GTX1080 SLi - Pending

Offline WiNloSt

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 21:33:12 »
Any place that ships from / near the SEA region? Most retailers I see is in the US or the EU :/
MK would ship to Thailand (SEA), but for keycaps the shipping rate is $30. I also searched for sellers with cheaper shipping rate but I couldn't find one.

BTW aynone know what profile is the top row is that R4 or R5 like in the Vortex PBT Bi-color double shot?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 22:47:34 »

http://www.mechkb.com/ have the previous generation of Vortex PBT keycaps - maybe they will stock the new ones too.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline shifted

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 12:55:23 »
Nice looking set.  Based on that reddit post it actually comes with volume caps which works out perfect for my Ducky Zero Shine keyboard.  The only odd one is that squirrel key that would open the calculator I guess.  I may not use that one.  I kind of wish the numbers were above the symbols though...

One question though.  When you buy key cap sets like this do the larger keys come with the ability to connect to both stabilizer types?  Like the WASD Code keyboard uses costar-style stabilizers I think.  Would this set be compatible with the spacebar on that keyboard?
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 October 2014, 13:07:55 by shifted »

Offline Aidenknives

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 15:57:48 »
Nice looking set.  Based on that reddit post it actually comes with volume caps which works out perfect for my Ducky Zero Shine keyboard.  The only odd one is that squirrel key that would open the calculator I guess.  I may not use that one.  I kind of wish the numbers were above the symbols though...

One question though.  When you buy key cap sets like this do the larger keys come with the ability to connect to both stabilizer types?  Like the WASD Code keyboard uses costar-style stabilizers I think.  Would this set be compatible with the spacebar on that keyboard?

Any MX modifier keys work with costar, but they won't come with the plastic hooks to attach the stabilizer bars to.

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 20:22:47 »
If only they'd make a few extra keys to convert a Race....
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline Coreda

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 20:52:56 »
For 33$ I wouldn't mind getting a set to put on backlit keyboards. Really do hope that it comes in colours other than black.

EDIT: Looks like they posted white sets on their facebook page! :D

Show Image

White version looks pretty decent.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #79 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 21:22:58 »
Hrm, does anyone have these with normally oriented switches, i.e. not like Ducky's upside-down orientation such that LEDs are on top?  I wonder if these legend inserts will get enough illumination with front-placed LEDs; the legends are mostly toward the top/far side of the caps.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 03:39:47 »
Hrm, does anyone have these with normally oriented switches, i.e. not like Ducky's upside-down orientation such that LEDs are on top?  I wonder if these legend inserts will get enough illumination with front-placed LEDs; the legends are mostly toward the top/far side of the caps.

i will, soon enough hopefully :) i got them from the GB on massdrop a while ago.

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 07:26:32 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 December 2014, 07:58:40 by Xowie »
RETIRED

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 08:56:11 »
Here is set on a QFR:
(Attachment Link)

I originally picked these up to dye them--I am curious to see hot the PBT and POM handles dye differently. However I really like the white on black look, so I might delay that project  :p
Wait... You can dye caps?

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 15:19:36 »
I am a big fan of these caps (and I do not have a backlit keyboard  :eek: )

A quick thickness comparison (Vortex, stock QFR caps, HHKB, Clack):
79444-0
RETIRED

Offline Jixr

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 12:09:57 »

I'm wanting to know the same thing. I have a 60% with normal switches, using 2x3x4 leds and with a stainless steel plate I feel like I may get enough light to have a tiny bit show through.
And at half the price of the other vortex keycaps its super tempting to buy.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 13:26:11 »

I'm wanting to know the same thing. I have a 60% with normal switches, using 2x3x4 leds and with a stainless steel plate I feel like I may get enough light to have a tiny bit show through.
here:

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #86 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 15:37:09 »

here:
Show Image

Could you reupload this image, please? It's not displaying.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #87 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 19:42:10 »
err oops there were 2 pages here hi