Author Topic: Overclocking = Timetravel  (Read 4966 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Overclocking = Timetravel
« on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 10:44:25 »
If you buy a computer...  it has a CPU..

They release a new CPU series approx' every 2 years.

Each new CPU generation is roughly 5-15% faster.

So, in 6 years.... the Newest CPU will be between 15-50% faster than what you currently own.

^^ note this is a soft- increase..  it's not a sure thing

However,    with Overclocking,   You can have ~40%  HARD-increase TODAY.. (a sure thing)

Which means, Your CPU will be 85-90% as fast as the latest CPU from 6 years into the future..

That is why, when it comes to personal computing (non-mission-critical) workloads..  Overclocking is a non-negotiable-necessity...

Don't miss out.. 

Offline Kraksx

Re: Overclocking = Timetravel
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 11:21:14 »
I always knew I was a time traveler

Poker II

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 11:23:11 »
The only flaw in your time travel theory is that it's easier to go back in time rather than forward... and it doesn't require overclocking.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 11:24:56 »
Can this process be replicated with a microwave? I'd really love some taquitos from the future.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 11:50:39 »
Can this process be replicated with a microwave? I'd really love some taquitos from the future.

well..  you can buy a second microwave and microwave half a burrito in each..

This is effectively  Dual Core  Microwaving, achieving parallel tasking..

The problem with Actually pushing more power in the microwave, is because the power lines in a typical house is for 15 amps each.. 20 amps/ kitchen/ garage

that's why they try to draw less than 1200watts per device..   

Manufacturers would make you a more powerful microwave,  but they simply don't want to burn your house down..   

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 11:55:14 »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

And some of the newer Intel CPU's have good headroom for it :) Best OC I've ever been part of percentage wise was a friends Pentium 100.. we got it running nicely at 150MHz. My current CPU OC is only around 25%, similar on GC, memory and buses a bit less, but overall actual performance increase over stock is very nice :) Since around 1994 every PC I've owned has been OC'ed.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 11:57:48 »

Show Image

The problem with Actually pushing more power in the microwave, is because the power lines in a typical house is for 15 amps each.. 20 amps/ kitchen/ garage

Manufacturers would make you a more powerful microwave,  but they simply don't want to burn your house down..   

I do have a spare cavitron and an extension cord. I could make a 3kW microwave without too much difficulty.

I had considered doing such a thing, but I realized that trying to do any sort of calculation on the microwaves or what happens in the chamber much be either empirically determined or based on finite-element software that I do not have access to.

Now, TP4, consider the following:

Most people, myself included don't even use the full power on their processor. Does this mean they are travelling backward in time?

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 12:00:20 »
Most people, myself included don't even use the full power on their processor. Does this mean they are travelling backward in time?

I'd ask MSW about that one, he's still living in the 90s.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 12:34:23 »

Show Image

I do have a spare cavitron and an extension cord. I could make a 3kW microwave without too much difficulty.

I had considered doing such a thing, but I realized that trying to do any sort of calculation on the microwaves or what happens in the chamber much be either empirically determined or based on finite-element software that I do not have access to.

Now, TP4, consider the following:

You would need Infinite-Gigahertz to go back in time.. 

this is trouble some for me, because,  you could use infinite ANYTHING to go back in time..

infinite macaroni,  infinite soup,  infinite waffles

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 14:26:37 »
Infinity times infinity!

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 14:44:32 »

I use full power on my processors and I'm stuck back in time. So what does that make me?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 15:18:20 »

I use full power on my processors and I'm stuck back in time. So what does that make me?

old
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 17:15:00 »

old

But what does that have to do with time travel?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 12:16:24 »
Infinity times infinity!
Show Image

Um... depending on how you define infinity,  inf^2 is just inf..   or Nothing because they're not supposed to be operated on like that.. bad syntax

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 12:21:02 »
It's summer. I don't want to think that much. Gotta save some thinking for school year!  :p

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 12:33:04 »
It's summer. I don't want to think that much. Gotta save some thinking for school year!  :p

school doesn't give you time to think..

Here's 8 hours of busy work.. hurray,  you're learn-ned

clarification, I'm not saying don't read...  just that most of the curriculum is, wtf, that's totally useless...

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 12:34:55 »
Well in contrast, it's probably better than waking up at 1 in the afternoon, and sitting at my computer on GH...
AP environmental is the actual most useful class lol.

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 15:32:34 »

old

***** you old as ****
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline cribbit

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 15:48:11 »
That's not how overclocking works.

First of all, where are you getting 40%? No chip overclocks its stated GHz speed by 40%. 3.5GHz -> 4.5GHz is common and that's barely over 20%.

Second of all, increased clock IS NOT a % increased speed. There are very few things where that applies so directly. For more common things like gaming you should be measuring in matters of FPS, where increased CPU by 25% might only see 10% increase in framerate.

Finally, the goal of OC should be to allow you to increase game settings without dropping your framerate to a point where you actually notice that there are frames per second. Eg, going from 100fps to 120fps seems like a 20% increase, but really you can't notice it and you're generating more heat. Going from 100fps to 100fps with higher settings actually is a good change.

Also, notice how stock clock i7's haven't gone up very much in rated GHz? That's because they're improving other things. Memory bandwidth, heat generation, OC performance, thread handling. It's not all about the GHz.
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 15:48:28 »

old

***** you old as ****

Paicrai.. is this ur form of tourettes..

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 18:28:55 »

old

***** you old as ****

i can just say **** **** ****ity **** all day, but to answer: the day i say that sentence without irony is the day i chew cliffside at terminal velocity
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 18:31:36 »

old

***** you old as ****

i can just say **** **** ****ity **** all day, but to answer: the day i say that sentence without irony is the day i chew cliffside at terminal velocity

But if you keep saying the same word over and over,  it loses emphasis.. and then it doesn't even carry the intended meaning..

essentially, when reading ur post,  it's akin to seeing a crazy man walking down the street screaming for no reason..

not a good or bad thing..

but "WHY".. what's the message..

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 18:47:28 »

old

***** you old as ****

But if you keep saying the same word over and over,  it loses emphasis.. and then it doesn't even carry the intended meaning..

essentially, when reading ur post,  it's akin to seeing a crazy man walking down the street screaming for no reason..

Show Image

idk what the bungalosticks is your message?
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 19:17:32 »

old

***** you old as ****

Show Image

My message is that   your bantering is often empty..  add some content to the cursing..

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 19:26:50 »

old

***** you old as ****

Show Image

My message is that   your bantering is often empty..  add some content to the cursing..
Show Image

content or content?
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 20:38:35 »

old

***** you old as ****

Show Image

Show Image

content or content?

either one's fine..

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 01:39:37 »
Just wanted to say this... This is by far, one of the best threads ever.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 02:59:36 »

First of all, where are you getting 40%? No chip overclocks its stated GHz speed by 40%. 3.5GHz -> 4.5GHz is common and that's barely over 20%.

Second of all, increased clock IS NOT a % increased speed. There are very few things where that applies so directly. For more common things like gaming you should be measuring in matters of FPS, where increased CPU by 25% might only see 10% increase in framerate.

Finally, the goal of OC should be to allow you to increase game settings without dropping your framerate to a point where you actually notice that there are frames per second. Eg, going from 100fps to 120fps seems like a 20% increase, but really you can't notice it and you're generating more heat. Going from 100fps to 100fps with higher settings actually is a good change.

Also, notice how stock clock i7's haven't gone up very much in rated GHz? That's because they're improving other things. Memory bandwidth, heat generation, OC performance, thread handling. It's not all about the GHz.

I agree for the most part, at least about max FPS. Minimum FPS matters, though. If you can raise the min FPS to above 60 that makes a tangible difference to the experience. I usually try to tweak the bottlenecks in my system (both software and hardware) for the kind of tasks I want more performance out of. It's a balancing act, but often I get more real world performance from the system than the numbers would indicate. CPU is just one piece of the big and complicated puzzle. An actual real world performance increase of 25% is possible and VERY noticable.

And no, it's not all about the GHz, it's all about the Pentiums, baby!

Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 14:07:23 »

Hahahhaaha...  way to n00b it up...   ok let me break it down

4.8ghz is pretty much reachable on 90% of the chips on ivy and haswell, @ the 10% voltage boost @ 1.41v

4.8/3.5 = 37%..  so I rounded up, notice i said ~40%, because certain apps may even give you + 50%

Now with regard to How much this gives you...     Well.. you can't count that by FPS alone.

As you've yourself stated,  " increase in performance as the result of overclocking possess effects outside of increased frame rates.. "

well, you didnt' state it as elegantly as that, but that's what you meant..

SO.. then the increase in performance can not be measured directly in a complex program..

All we know CONCRETELY is that there will be on average ~ 40% more calculations possible at any given time...

so, I call THAT ~ 40% boost in performance..

this also does not betray my comparison to Future CPUs..  because  I'm talking about Relative IPC gain..  which is consistent with my argument..  there is between 5-15% per generation @ 2 year intervals.. 

Offline osi

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 14:08:54 »
TP what year am I in now

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 14:10:05 »
TP what year am I in now

tell me your cpu model and frequency..

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 16:46:52 »
"oh no the tardis wont let us in doctor!"

"clock your dang cpu"
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 17:19:18 »
The problem is you'll be six years older and die faster, just like your cpu.

Offline osi

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 18:44:44 »
TP what year am I in now

3570k - 4.4

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 19:12:50 »
TP what year am I in now

3570k - 4.4

you are 30% overclocked,

your plane of existence crosses April 29th 2016

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 19:16:19 »
The problem is you'll be six years older and die faster, just like your cpu.

no , but due to the effects of Cpu Cycle Contraction akin to Time Dilation, that would not happen.

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 03:51:06 »
is that a wormhole? i cam see another time! another universe!

chill dude i just overclocked my pentium
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

Offline osi

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 06:52:02 »
TP what year am I in now

3570k - 4.4

you are 30% overclocked,

I am OK with this. See you guys next year(s)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 16:04:04 »
TP what year am I in now

3570k - 4.4

you are 30% overclocked,

I am OK with this. See you guys next year(s)