Author Topic: First mechanicals  (Read 1108 times)

Offline loki993

First mechanicals
« on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 12:19:46 »
72782-0

So they both got here within a few days. Keycool 84 with MX Clears and a QFR with Blues.

I first ordered a Keycool 84 with clears and then found a deal on a lightly used QFR with blues. Still getting used to the the blues on the QFR I think they're a bit too light for me so I'm not entirely sure what to do about that. I definitely make more errors on the QFR then I did with my old membrane board.

The Keycool I love I don't make a lot of errors on that one because of the stiffer switches but yeah they do get fatiguing after a fair amount of typing which I do for work, but they're great for gaming so far.

So it would be nice to stiffen up the blues a bit and lighten the clears a little but I think both boards are plate mounted so I'm not sure how I go about that easily, probably no way actually.

With all that though Im enjoying them though, just need t find a way to clear up the little things. 
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 July 2014, 13:56:36 by loki993 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: First mechanicals
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 18:47:54 »
It can take a little while to become accustomed to a mechanical keyboard, especially if you have been using a membrane keyboard for a long time.

Give yourself a week or two, and see if your error rate on the blues decreases.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 19:06:55 »
To be honest, I hate every new keyboard I get.

I always go through a phase where I dislike anything that is not exactly like what I am used to. I think this has to do with muscle memory. Give yourself some time to adjust. At least a couple of days. I have ended up liking things that I almost sent back to the store on first try.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 20:14:42 »
I also found blues too light, I always bottomed out too hard on them. Now when I want to use something like that I just use space invaders instead.

There are aftermarket springs, but then you have to desolder them all and then open all the switches and put them in there.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 03:02:58 »
Nice boards :)

The Clears will lighten up just a touch with lots of use, they'll also eventually become a little "smoother". I like to modify my switches and my favourite spring in Clears is 62g Korean, but it does require you to desolder all the switches to do it.

Making errors when typing on a new board is common, sometimes it's due to unexpected factors, though, such as a change in keyboard height or angle. With the lower rubber dome boards I used to use I would rest my palms on the desk. When I got my Ducky G2Pro, my wrists would hurt by the end of the day and I would find it awkward to type on, but the main culprit was the height of the front edge of the board. Added a palm rest and suddenly loved the board.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline loki993

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 07:29:08 »
Thanks eveyone..theyre really nice. They look a lit bigger in the pictures though lol. I was surprised at the size of the QFR when I got it. 

Ive only been using membrane and whatever on my laptop cant remember what that is, but everythings super low profile. So the extra height and key travel are taking getting used to. I've gotten better since I've been using it but it still doesn't feel as fluid as it does with my old keyboard. I also think Im pushing a little bit and trying to go too fast. The clears are fine just a bit stiff that's all. I thought it would be ok but after a little more than a couple hours of good typing my hands already started feeling it.

I do really enjoy typing on both of them though...I do think I need to o ring the spacebar on the QFR though because I bottom that out hard every time I hit it and its annoying.

I would like to mess with spring swaps just because I like messing with stuff...and thats kind of what the QFR is for. It was a deal, it was used, so I got it the try out blues and to tinker with if the urge arose. So if I mess it up I wouldn't be too heartbroken over it and its basically totally replaceable.

It would be nice to find a plate for the QFR that allows me access to the switches but I don't think that's possible either....at least not for a reasonable price.

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 08:16:48 »
If you get into modding,  Panda Clears (Spring from MX Black and stem from MX Clear) is probably my favorite stock switch swap.  It's my favorite switch mod without getting into exotic spring weights like 62g and 68g etc.

You could also put MX black springs in the blues to essentially make MX Greens.

If those are still too heavy, get some korean springs around 62g- 70g (62g is only very slightly heavier than stock blue spring)

Edit: Guess I'm late to the party and everyone's mentioned this.  Sorry for being an old ranting goose.

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline loki993

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 22:22:58 »
Yeah so its starting to come along. Still loving the clears,even though theyre pretty stiff, and the keycool and the blues feel better every day I use them. Today was pretty much the first day my membrane felt odd, and bad, to type on. Im definitely going to have to o ring the spacebar at least on the blues though because I bottom it hard every time I hit it and its a bit annoying.

Offline krser

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 03:58:14 »
Thats weird. I hated my blues for being too loud. No problem with the weight lol. I hated them so much I sold my noppo choc mini w/ blues for 35 bucks lmao

Offline loki993

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 07:44:38 »
lol, Id have bought it for 35 bucks lol I originally wanted a 60 percent with blues but the QFR was a decent deal. No the sound, aside from the spacebar, doesnt bother me at all. I actually kind of like it. In fact Im wating for someone to say something about it while Im clicking away on one of my many conference calls lol. You no I'm getting more used to it but its still a little light for my taste but I think I just need to concentrate a little more on not hitting the keys so hard. Like I said though its much better after a week of use though. So much so that Ive started looking for ideas find a way to get a mech for when I'm at work so I'm not annoyed all day using a membrane.....oh damn this forum.