Author Topic: Recommendations for a keyboard  (Read 3792 times)

Offline ngluon

Recommendations for a keyboard
« on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 13:58:38 »
Good day,

I'm purchasing a new rig which will be fixed by next week. In the meantime, I'm looking in getting a mechanical keyboard.
I somehow chanced upon this forum and saw all the mountains of information available, however it was overwhelming me.

I would use it to rotate between my gaming pc and workstation using a KVM. ( would the choice of KVM affect my mech keyboard experience?)
I have to work in nights very often but I have a room to myself so I guess noise is not an issue.

I'm currently using a logitech K120 and I'm actually quite happy with it;
not knowing the ergonomic impacts that some of the threads here present.

Is there anyone who is able to recommend me a decent yet affordable mechanical keyboard suitable for my usage?
*edit* I have never used a mechanical keyboard before. Only seen them around with their hefty price tags when I was a student.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 July 2014, 14:01:26 by ngluon »

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
Re: Recommendations for a keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 14:13:29 »
Hello and welcome to geekhack!

You have come to the right place for keyboard suggestions.

First, i do not believe using Keyboard-Video-Mouse input will differ from keyboards. Just make sure your KVM switch actually accepts the keyboard input (USB PS/2 or check it out).

First you need to determine the form factor. The three most common form factors in boards are 60%, TKL and Full size.

Full size boards are just like your K120. (Example here https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=512 )
TKL boards do not have numpads. (Example here https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=368 )
60% boards are space-saver boards (Example here https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=659 )

Then, backlighting. If you work at night and usually check what you type consider checking for on board luminosity.

Then it comes to Cherry MX type (start with Cherry MX, other switches are a little "deeper" level). There's multiple types of switches available (see here http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_MX )

The most available are

Red Black Blue Brown (and a little less but still available are Green and Clear)

You should read about the feels, as this is the major point of getting a mechanical keyboard. There's Linear (no feedback), Tactile (tactile feedback) and Clicky (Tactile and audible feedback).

That should be a good reading to start with. Other users will also have their inputs so i guess you'll have some more to read.

If you have further questioning just ask it straight here.

Have a nice day!
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline ngluon

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 14:33:53 »
Hi!

Thanks for the prompt reply :)
I would only go for Full sized keyboards since I would need the numpads for my work.
Backlighting would be optional in my case as my room is nicely illuminated when I'm working.

Thanks for the reading resources, would certainly dig into them once I have the time to do so.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 14:51:10 »
Hi!

Thanks for the prompt reply :)
I would only go for Full sized keyboards since I would need the numpads for my work.
Backlighting would be optional in my case as my room is nicely illuminated when I'm working.

Thanks for the reading resources, would certainly dig into them once I have the time to do so.

All good. I'm monitoring my new replies often so drop a response anytime soon and i'll try to answer your questions. Others might join in to help you out as well so yea you're always welcome asking advices.

Have a pleasant evening!

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 17:28:16 »
My switch recommendation will change based on what games you play, but as far as stock switches go, reds are great for multipurpose gaming. 

Some have issues with accidental key presses during typing, but I strongly believe this can be conquered over time (I've done it.)

Strongly recommend nothing larger than TKL layout, even though you've said you only want fullsize.

I could go on for hours about picking keyboards, so please do PM me if you have any more specific questions :)

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline ngluon

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 17:32:35 »
From what I understand from the readings,
there are quite a number of types of switches involved in mechanical keyboards.
From what I infer, Cherry MX seems to be the most mainstream and the most affordable of the variants. (Yes budget is a factor for me as well)
What I don't quite understand is the parameters they used to rate these different switches;
Keyfeel - Linear? Tactile? Clicky? -> Does this refer to the spring factor of the keys?
What is hysteresis?
How would the mounts differ from each other?

Personally I find these info too specific, it is almost like a science itself.
I hope I'm in the correct direction in all these deductions

Offline ngluon

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 17:47:58 »
My switch recommendation will change based on what games you play, but as far as stock switches go, reds are great for multipurpose gaming. 

Some have issues with accidental key presses during typing, but I strongly believe this can be conquered over time (I've done it.)

Strongly recommend nothing larger than TKL layout, even though you've said you only want fullsize.

I could go on for hours about picking keyboards, so please do PM me if you have any more specific questions :)

May I know why the strong preference in TKL layout over full size?
The accidental key presses are due to wrong placement of hands? Or the fact that we no longer need that much force to type?

Yes. I do intend to play a variety of games which include FPS, and RTS.
Above and beyond that the keyboard needs to give me a pleasant typing experience as I spend most of the time on the keyboard drafting emails.

Offline Defect

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 18:08:00 »
From what I understand from the readings,
there are quite a number of types of switches involved in mechanical keyboards.
From what I infer, Cherry MX seems to be the most mainstream and the most affordable of the variants. (Yes budget is a factor for me as well)
What I don't quite understand is the parameters they used to rate these different switches;
Keyfeel - Linear? Tactile? Clicky? -> Does this refer to the spring factor of the keys?
What is hysteresis?
How would the mounts differ from each other?

Personally I find these info too specific, it is almost like a science itself.
I hope I'm in the correct direction in all these deductions

There's a reason many of us have spent hundreds or even thousands of dollars individually on this hobby.  There's a lot to it.

Alps are probably the most affordable, but unless your machine has native PS/2 ports you may have issues with converters.  Most older boards use AT or PS/2 connects.  Ex: NKRO is possible over PS/2 but only 6KRO is supported over usb (without the aid of a clever controller).

Linear vs tactile refers to physical feedback (bumps, etc) and clicks refer to aural feedback.  Clicky switches USUALLY have crisp tactility, but necessarily the most pronounced tactility.

May I know why the strong preference in TKL layout over full size?
The accidental key presses are due to wrong placement of hands? Or the fact that we no longer need that much force to type?

Yes. I do intend to play a variety of games which include FPS, and RTS.
Above and beyond that the keyboard needs to give me a pleasant typing experience as I spend most of the time on the keyboard drafting emails.

With TKL and smaller, the spread angle of your arms is reduced.  This doesn't seem like a big deal...until you've tried it for a week.  Omg feels way more confortable.  I work in Finance, so while arrow keys are ESSENTIAL to me, I was able to quickly overcome the lack of a numpad  by learning the num row.  I also have a numpad, but it's just for show and switch testing.

As far as switches go, reds are my go to for stock switch general gaming recommendation.  You don't suffer from hysteresis, hovering/floating is a piece of cake, and ANYONE can handle the weight.  Blues are terrible for FPS, though acceptable and pretty nice for most lower APM RTS.  Modded clears are the best all purpose MX in my opinion, but they may be hard for newbies to acquire.

More in a bit...gotta run for now

Edit:

MX is the most common and has the most support.  There are five stem types:

Linear (Red, Black, linear Grey)
Less Tactile (Brown)
More Tactile (Clear, Grey)
Click: (Green, Blue)
Soft click: (White)

Stems within their own group are the same (except for color).  The color corresponds to the stock spring weight for each switch (red is linear with 50g cherry spring, and black is linear with 80g cherry spring)
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 July 2014, 18:14:38 by Defect »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 02:04:39 »
I can recommend the CMStorm line of mechanicals as affordable but good quality boards and most of them have a standard layout so you can replace the keycaps easily, which is one of the best perks of owning a Cherry MX keyboard IMHO.

I would also recommend Browns as a starting point. They're "tactile", meaning the pressure as you press increases for a bit, then suddenly decreases as you go over the "bump". Blues are "clicky", so they have that tactile bump, but after the bump the force descreases even more rapidly and they make a click sound. Reds and Blacks are linear, meaning they just have a spring and no tactile bump, the resistance just increases slowly as you press the keys. Blacks have stronger springs than Reds, Blues and Browns.

All Cherry MX actuate in the middle (around 2mm) of the slider movement (4mm), whereas your K120 and other rubber dome and membrane boards actuate at the bottom of the movement. On Browns and Blues this is just after the tactile bump. Lack of tactility means you can't feel when the switch actuates (Reds and Blacks), so it's easy to mistype letters, especially on the lighter Reds.

Hysteresis is where the reset point of the switch is different to the actuation point. All the "clicky" MX switches have this. It means you have to almost completely release the key before you can actuate it again. With Browns, Reds and Blacks you can "hover" the switch around the actuation point for faster response in FPS games, for movement keys for instance.

So I recommend Browns, since they have a tactile bump to prevent mistyping, but are capable of hovering for gaming. They're also not clicky, so are quieter than Blues. I would recommend Clears even more, though, since they are like Browns, but with a bigger bump and stronger spring, but they're quite rare, especially in full size boards. The bump helps to act as a reference point on the upstroke for "hovering" when gaming and the extra tactility is nice when typing.

If you really want a full size board the QuickFire XT is worth a look. Standard layout, removable full size USB cable.

There is a "compromise" board with a keypad, but no arrows and edit keys (you can change the mode of the numpad to become these keys, though) called the QuickFire TK, but it has a non-standard bottom row, so finding replcement keycap sets that fit is almost impossible (especially the 6.5x size spacebar).

The TenKeyLess (TKL) version is called the QuickFire Rapid. This is a very popular board on this site. It's got a standard layout (so you can use almost any aftermarket keycap sets) and is compatible with a lot of aftermarket cases, etc. One of the best value for money mechanical boards out there. They now have a backlit version called the QuickFire Rapid-i, but it costs more.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline ngluon

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 16:31:47 »
Good day all,

Thank you for the elaborate explanations on the introductions of all these technical terms.
It definitely made the steep learning curve an easier one to climb.
I would look to read some reviews on the various types of keyboards with regards to the brown, red and blue switches.
Would also go down to the shops and give the keyboards some hands on to get a feel of the tactility/linearity/clickiness being discussed here.
I have decided on the form factor though; A definite full sized for me as I just recalled that I do play some casual FIFA with my friends as well (I need those arrow keys!)

Once again, thank you all for your help.
Would update further regarding the keyboard I eventually picked =D.

Looking forward to be a proud owner of a mechanical keyboard soon!

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 16:45:40 »
Are you adverse to the idea of a tenkeyless? The ergonomics for typing and mousing are definitely not to be foregone. If it's a non issue,  ie you use your mouse infrequently; then there are definitely lots of options.
I know the Logitech g710 is loaded with browns, and at Best Buy. Computer resellers usually carry Coolermaster, and beyond that there are the occasional meet ups in the big centers

Offline Defect

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 17:15:34 »
Also worth considering are Buckling spring boards (old Model M's,  Unicomp boards)

These are limited to 2KRO, but Buckling Spring is KING of clicky switches.

Didn't mention Model F because those are not newbie friendly. 

I have a Unicomp Ultra Classic and would use it every day if I wasn't sharing an apartment with my roommate.  Buckling Spring boards are LOUD.  But you mentioned noise is not an issue

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 18:50:33 »
I can recommend the CMStorm line of mechanicals as affordable but good quality boards and most of them have a standard layout so you can replace the keycaps easily, which is one of the best perks of owning a Cherry MX keyboard IMHO.

I would also recommend Browns as a starting point.

x2. Browns are the perfect "all purpose" switch and do well with gaming and typing alike. CM Storm QuickFire XT boards are well made, repair- and mod-able, feature standard layout, and don't break the bank. Same is true for the QuickFire Rapid or Stealth boards if you can live w/ TKL. Another (full size alternative is the Rosewill RK-9000, made by Costar like the CM Storm boards, but lacking some "extra" features like media keys ($70 is a bargain IMHO.) Typing on one right now :) (see my signature.)
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 00:53:30 »
I use a KVM switch. It is of the cheaper variety. Some of the more expensive ones claim pretty much perfect compatibility, even with wireless devices. I've plugged in lots of keyboards and not had a problem with compatibility. Mice are a different issue. They seem much more likely to have problems.

How often do you use a numpad? If you have long periods where you don't need it, then other times where you use it a lot you might think about getting a TKL and a separate numpad. Then just move the numpad into place when you need it.

Offline krser

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 03:54:03 »
Unicomp/ibm buckling springs are great, but will fatigue you... theyre sorta loud, and more like cherry blues, but softer landing.

The cherry switches, you can easily look up on google and such. If yiu want blues, look at monoprice cherry blue. Very cheap and underrated.

Alps are a great alternative choice, such as dell at101, and focus alps keyboards. Id suggest going to ebay, newegg, amazon and looking for rosewills alps keyboard, as its much more affordable than most other cherry keyboards, if youre on a budget, or just want to try out mechanical keyboard before fully committing to them.

Topres are there, too, but not recommending simply for how much they cost. Not worth for someone new, unless you have a lot of money to spare, as most cherry key oards themselves can fulfill your needs and wants.

Lastly, there are great non mechanical keyboards, such as dell quietkey, microsoft ergonomic, if youre really tight on budget, but not recommender, but for just a couple more dollars, you can get mechanicals.

Offline Demetrium

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 09:59:34 »
Here's my quick tips as someone who's mostly a gamer. I've personally used reds, browns, and blues.

I'd recommend either reds or browns, probably reds. If you do a bit more typing, browns might be a better choice. When it comes to the board itself I'd go with a traditional layout --- gaming on a new layout can be incredibly frustrating. Finally I'd suggest a 10keyless just because I like the bit of extra real estate so I can throw the keyboard to side and snack while watching YouTube.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 10:47:17 »
Here's my quick tips as someone who's mostly a gamer. I've personally used reds, browns, and blues.

I'd recommend either reds or browns, probably reds. If you do a bit more typing, browns might be a better choice. When it comes to the board itself I'd go with a traditional layout --- gaming on a new layout can be incredibly frustrating. Finally I'd suggest a 10keyless just because I like the bit of extra real estate so I can throw the keyboard to side and snack while watching YouTube.

^^
Geekery Wisdom.

Move board to make room for food.

Classic geek habit.

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline Demetrium

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 11:22:55 »

^^
Geekery Wisdom.

Move board to make room for food.

Classic geek habit.

Can't miss my dinner dates with Kripparian!

Offline ngluon

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 02:50:06 »
Good day all,

Thank you all for all your enthusiastic suggestions regarding the different brands.
I have went down to the local stores to take a look and the stores are generated populated by brands like ducky, CM, razer and filco.
The variety for other brands are significantly lesser.

On the note regarding TKL and usage of mouse;
I do use the mouse a lot for my work, and gaming of course.
But I still can't let go of the convenience the numpad provides, I do a fair bit of reporting using numpads.
And yea, desk space is not an issue to me; I'm going to run a 2 monitor setup. A 30" monitor (work) and 27" for gaming :D.

All in all, I would still go for full sized I feel.
Am waiting for stock for CM quickfire XT (brown) to have a demo in the stores.

« Last Edit: Sun, 03 August 2014, 03:15:28 by ngluon »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 06:01:34 »
Nothing wrong with a full-sized keyboard (this was typed on my Model M!).

Some people like both - and get a TKL + a separate numeric keypad.  Obviously this costs a bit more, but is an alternative.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dantan

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 00:21:04 »
Good day all,

Thank you for the elaborate explanations on the introductions of all these technical terms.
I would look to read some reviews on the various types of keyboards with regards to the brown, red and blue switches.
Would also go down to the shops and give the keyboards some hands on to get a feel of the tactility/linearity/clickiness being discussed here.
I have decided on the form factor though; A definite full sized for me as I just recalled that I do play some casual FIFA with my friends as well (I need those arrow keys!)

You are going to spend a lot of money if you hang around this forum. Get lost before you spend more money on keyboards than on your rent. :blank:

Offline paulen

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 00:29:40 »
Good day all,

You are going to spend a lot of money if you hang around this forum. Get lost before you spend more money on keyboards than on your rent. :blank:

Rip Mr.wallet :-\

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 04:54:07 »
I think you've made a wise decision.

Hanging around on GH can get expensive, especially if you spend time in the Group Buys section. If you want better keycaps for the XT, I recommend you just buy a set of Ducky thick PBT caps and then only browse the Keyboards section. I got sucked into the wallethack... I now 5 sets of keycaps and 4 more on their way, but I only have 2 mechanical keyboards. There are two more Group Buys I have my eye on now, and if Ivan starts a Group Buy for thick POM keycaps I'll probably join that, too.... So that will make a total of 12 sets of keycaps. I just can't seem to stop. It's like Pokemon, gotta catch em all!
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline pcandkbguy

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 07:18:02 »
quickfire rapid is my favorite right now as far as bang / buck

i think the new cm topre boards will be the best available though

Offline loki993

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 08:35:20 »
Couple things, I havent been doing this long either an was in a similar position as you..I even came from a K120. If you want cheap then your best bet is probably a QFR, I got one with blues and its great. I think CM storm makes a fullsize version but I dont know the name. Also you can get standalone ten keys if you need the numpad, dont know that could be an option.

Second a KVM for gaming..I'm not sure as I've never used one but Id have to imagine that it may introduce some input lag and thats not good especially for an FPS. I wouldn't do it personally, but who knows you may never notice either.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 August 2014, 17:15:18 by loki993 »

Offline ngluon

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 12:00:31 »
Good day all,

I am proud to announce that I am now the owner of a Tesoro Durandal ultimate (Brown).
Was sold to me at a discount by a tech guy who helped me with my rig.

I must say that the transition is AWESOME. I feel like my fingers are flying now. WOO.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 12:44:52 »
Good day all,

I am proud to announce that I am now the owner of a Tesoro Durandal ultimate (Brown).
Was sold to me at a discount by a tech guy who helped me with my rig.

I must say that the transition is AWESOME. I feel like my fingers are flying now. WOO.

Fantastic! Great to hear it worked out well. :)
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 13:30:28 »
I think you've made a wise decision.

People hang around Geekhack because it is a good place for geeks. But I will never call it a wise decision where wallets are concerned. I agree with that poster above; get lost before you bankrupt yourself!

On another note, OP should go Cybermind in Sim Lim Square. CM XT was being demoed.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.