Author Topic: Duck Viper and Eagle Group Buy  (Read 996160 times)

Offline cooldiscretion

• Convicted guilty of being totally rad.
Re: Duck Viper and Eagle Group Buy
« Reply #400 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 22:17:32 »

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #401 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 23:04:34 »
You just got me even more exited ^_^ Btw does the viper and eagle already come with the side led? if not, what are the appropriate led that we can use for these?

Some where back in this thread, someone said that red LEDs are already installed
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #402 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 23:10:22 »
Saw that too but they were unsure I think. Doesn't hurt to ask Elton himself

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #403 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 23:24:32 »

From the OP
Info:
Full keymapping
Supports MX and ALPs switches
Full LED and side LED compatible.  Side LED is red by default (on PCB)
Switches and stabilizers not included (MX requires Cherry PCB Stabilizers)
Acrylic accessories not included and not for sale.

Offline AnalogBlu

« Reply #404 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 23:52:04 »
Is it too late to purchase from this group buy, at least for a Round 2?
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 August 2014, 23:58:18 by AnalogBlu »

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #405 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 00:04:14 »

From the OP
Info:
Full keymapping
Supports MX and ALPs switches
Full LED and side LED compatible.  Side LED is red by default (on PCB)
Switches and stabilizers not included (MX requires Cherry PCB Stabilizers)
Acrylic accessories not included and not for sale.

And the truth shall set me free. Btw I was from the Philippines as well

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #406 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 00:21:40 »
And the truth shall set me free. Btw I was from the Philippines as well

Cool. Nice to meet you here kababayan... :D

Offline Gloomy Moonie

« Reply #407 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 17:48:03 »
BTW, there won't be any 2nd batches since there aren't much leftover from the main batch.  They are making enough and will be finished next week.  They will all be shipped together.

Also, the timeline they gave me for their shipping time is around mid September.
Wait, does this mean that there won't be a second round?

Offline elton5354

« Reply #408 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 17:51:13 »
There aren't enough orders for 2nd round, so if you want one order now and pay quick! ;)

Offline ceflame

« Reply #409 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 19:58:44 »
Submitted an order, oh god please let me in on this!

Offline AnalogBlu

« Reply #410 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 23:47:28 »
There aren't enough orders for 2nd round, so if you want one order now and pay quick! ;)

I would need to order and pay even though a Round 2 is not guaranteed? :\

Offline cphead

« Reply #411 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 23:48:54 »

If you order and pay now you'll be part of round 1 ...

Offline ceflame

« Reply #412 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 23:49:58 »

I'm under the impression that this is the last chance for buy-in for Round 1.
Paid invoice, so excited  ;)
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 August 2014, 23:51:35 by ceflame »

Offline elton5354

« Reply #413 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 23:50:31 »
I guess I wasn't clear enough.  There won't be a round 2, but if you put your order in, it'll be in this round as they made more than what I posted earlier.

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #414 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 00:07:31 »
I guess I wasn't clear enough.  There won't be a round 2, but if you put your order in, it'll be in this round as they made more than what I posted earlier.

shot you a pm about updating shipping info :D
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #415 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 00:32:05 »

Sweet!

Offline elton5354

« Reply #416 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 14:00:13 »
So...next time if anyone wants to combine shipping, please tell me before paying the invoice.  I don't want to keep doing refunds...

Offline ceflame

« Reply #417 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 20:21:47 »
This is going to be my first time building a keyboard, and I'm confused as to whether I should use PCB or plate-mounted switches.

I saw from a previous post that either could be used, but is it just up to personal preference or would one be more ideal to use?

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #418 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 20:30:13 »
@ceflame : It will be my first time building a keyboard as well but I'm getting some guidance from Hoff since he lives close by (1hr away)

I would suggest using PCB mounted switches as it was the same ones recommended to me by others who answered the same inquiry I had a while back. PCB mounted switches are also simpler from what I've heard. You can always get SIP sockets on your PCB mount switches in order to swap out LED without having to re solder anything

Offline ceflame

« Reply #419 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 20:38:33 »
@ceflame : It will be my first time building a keyboard as well but I'm getting some guidance from Hoff since he lives close by (1hr away)

I would suggest using PCB mounted switches as it was the same ones recommended to me by others who answered the same inquiry I had a while back. PCB mounted switches are also simpler from what I've heard. You can always get SIP sockets on your PCB mount switches in order to swap out LED without having to re solder anything

Hm, I guess I'll go with PCB mounted switches then.

I'm still confused about one thing, if you go with PCB mounted switches, does that mean you can't use the MX reinforcement plate?

Offline jameslr

« Reply #420 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 20:41:35 »

Why would you use PCB mount switches for this board when it comes with a plate? Are the switches not mounted on the plate?
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #421 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 20:54:59 »
I think it's because the plates are for sturdiness but it mounts to the PCB? I'm not really sure since I'm new to this but Elton himself told me that I needed the PCB mount stabilizers for sure since I asked him about it. I just figured I might need PCB switches as well and not the plate mounted

Offline cphead

« Reply #422 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 20:56:02 »
This is going to be my first time building a keyboard, and I'm confused as to whether I should use PCB or plate-mounted switches.

I saw from a previous post that either could be used, but is it just up to personal preference or would one be more ideal to use?

The only difference between PCB and plate mounted switches is PCB mount has 2 pins on the bottom that go on the pcb. Duck boards usually have holes for the pins to go in, so you can use either.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #423 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 20:57:11 »

Why would you use PCB mount switches for this board when it comes with a plate? Are the switches not mounted on the plate?

IF the PCB has holes for PCB mounted switches many people like to use them even if a plate is provided just for the added stability and if you have PCB mount switches and don't want to cut the little legs off.

Also not really sure what the one poster meant you can use the SIP sockets regardless if the switch is pcb or plate mount so long as the pcb supports led's.

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #424 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 20:57:24 »

The only difference between PCB and plate mounted switches is PCB mount has 2 pins on the bottom that go on the pcb. Duck boards usually have holes for the pins to go in, so you can use either.

That makes more sense now ^_^ Sorry if I'm not as knowledgeable tried my best since I'm still learning from the pros in here

Offline jameslr

« Reply #425 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 21:04:33 »

IF the PCB has holes for PCB mounted switches many people like to use them even if a plate is provided just for the added stability and if you have PCB mount switches and don't want to cut the little legs off.

Also not really sure what the one poster meant you can use the SIP sockets regardless if the switch is pcb or plate mount so long as the pcb supports led's.

Ahh I see. I didn't know the PCB had the holes for switches. I guess I should have gotten the PCB mounts then, but I already had some plate mount switches that I was going to use.
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline ceflame

« Reply #426 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 21:12:27 »

Alright, I guess I'll just go with PCB mounted switches since I can use either, and convert later if needed.

Now everything's cleared up and I just have to wait for everything to come in and hope I don't make a huge mistake soldering for my first time.

Offline paobit

« Reply #427 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 05:03:01 »
are these individual mx switches compatible with the duck viper?
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=597

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #428 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 05:16:58 »
Yup, those are what I'm using in my Light Pad, and they'll be in my Viper too.
If today had been a hippo, then you'd really have to worry about tomorrow.

Offline cooldiscretion

« Reply #429 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 12:47:46 »

Alright, I guess I'll just go with PCB mounted switches since I can use either, and convert later if needed.

Now everything's cleared up and I just have to wait for everything to come in and hope I don't make a huge mistake soldering for my first time.

Even experienced people had to start soldering at some point.  When I first started I did make my fair share of mistakes that were difficult to fix.

Some of the little tricks you can pick up off watching youtube tutorials or reading, but others that are technique take practice to improve. If I were
you, I would get some type of junk electronics and tinker. Try to desolder and resolder something and see that you can make the solder joints
as clean as possible.  It would be a real shame to accidentally make an unrecoverable mistake on your eagle/viper PCB when it is such an investment.

Offline paobit

« Reply #430 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 14:54:03 »
Yup, those are what I'm using in my Light Pad, and they'll be in my Viper too.

awesome!

Offline ceflame

« Reply #431 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 15:14:53 »

Even experienced people had to start soldering at some point.  When I first started I did make my fair share of mistakes that were difficult to fix.

Some of the little tricks you can pick up off watching youtube tutorials or reading, but others that are technique take practice to improve. If I were
you, I would get some type of junk electronics and tinker. Try to desolder and resolder something and see that you can make the solder joints
as clean as possible.  It would be a real shame to accidentally make an unrecoverable mistake on your eagle/viper PCB when it is such an investment.

Yeah, making a major mistake on a Duck Eagle PCB... I would probably cry myself to sleep for like a year.

Practiced soldering/desoldering a switch and an led, and it seemed fine. Though the led was much harder.. somehow made 2 big blobs of solder on the led joints, but it still worked.

Offline doublin

« Reply #432 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 15:41:41 »
So is it still possible to join this groupbuy or is ordering phase closed already?

Offline cooldiscretion

« Reply #433 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 13:09:38 »
Does anyone know if the diodes are already soldered on the PCB or if we are expected to do that ourselves? 

In the initial description of what is included, it states the PCB is pre-soldered, but I'm not sure if that is specifically speaking about
the other surface mount components.

Offline cphead

« Reply #434 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 13:15:11 »
Does anyone know if the diodes are already soldered on the PCB or if we are expected to do that ourselves? 

In the initial description of what is included, it states the PCB is pre-soldered, but I'm not sure if that is specifically speaking about

If it's anything like previous duck PCBs the diodes are presoldered.

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #435 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 16:46:35 »

How about the resistor for LEDs?

Offline cphead

« Reply #436 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 16:48:20 »

How about the resistor for LEDs?

All you need is switches, LEDs, stabs, caps. Nothing else. I think.  ;D

Offline xybre

• clickityclackclickityclack
    • Music and Stuff
« Reply #437 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 11:54:05 »
Is there an ETA? Not trying to rush, I'd just like to know when to get excited about its arrival. :D
GON NerD 60 & Duck Eagle & Unicomp Ultra Classic & Das Keyboard Ultimate

Offline Vintage

« Reply #438 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 12:05:28 »
If you go back a few pages, Elton gives an ETA. Seem to remember about the end of September or so....
CM QFR w/ MX Reds  | Logitech G900

Offline xybre

• clickityclackclickityclack
    • Music and Stuff
« Reply #439 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 12:52:45 »
If you go back a few pages, Elton gives an ETA. Seem to remember about the end of September or so....

Woops, I missed that, thanks!

Also, the timeline they gave me for their shipping time is around mid September.

GON NerD 60 & Duck Eagle & Unicomp Ultra Classic & Das Keyboard Ultimate

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #440 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 13:02:32 »
Is there an ETA? Not trying to rush, I'd just like to know when to get excited about its arrival. :D

BTW, there won't be any 2nd batches since there aren't much leftover from the main batch.  They are making enough and will be finished next week.  They will all be shipped together.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #441 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 13:07:33 »
Oh man, I definitely need to get one of these 2 board with ALPS switches in the future.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #442 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 22:39:09 »
Here's an interesting video I found for those who are in this GB:

Sounds quite different! Part of it is probably due to LED vs no LED.

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #443 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 22:46:21 »

Or maybe the other board has ergo clear modded switches

Offline Sniping

« Reply #444 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 22:54:15 »
Spring weight shouldn't make a difference when he bottoms out like in the video.

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #445 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 23:01:34 »
Spring weight shouldn't make a difference when he bottoms out like in the video.

He probably has O rings to dampen the sound

Offline vdhiep92

« Reply #446 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 04:54:31 »

This was my video, the Kmac is 59g clear and the Eagle is from my friend, assembled with 62g clear, I just did a quick comparison. The different in sound firstly come from the lubing, the kmac and the eagle were lubed by different ppl as u can see in this video that i press the switches only, the sounds are totally differnt.

Secondly, the eagle was assembled with 2x3x4mm led. If u put on the GMK keycap, it scratch the inside of the keycap and it will make keycap can't be bottom out, it acts likes an unexpected O-ring lol, however it works well with SP keycap. My advice is assembled with 1.8mm led.

I personally dont think the springs can create the different in sound that much ^^

Best regards.

« Last Edit: Wed, 03 September 2014, 04:59:33 by vdhiep92 »

Offline elton5354

« Reply #447 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 07:04:32 »
Tomorrow is the last day to change colours.

I'll invoice the last couple today.

Offline Battou62

« Reply #448 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 08:27:51 »

This was my video, the Kmac is 59g clear and the Eagle is from my friend, assembled with 62g clear, I just did a quick comparison. The different in sound firstly come from the lubing, the kmac and the eagle were lubed by different ppl as u can see in this video that i press the switches only, the sounds are totally differnt.

Secondly, the eagle was assembled with 2x3x4mm led. If u put on the GMK keycap, it scratch the inside of the keycap and it will make keycap can't be bottom out, it acts likes an unexpected O-ring lol, however it works well with SP keycap. My advice is assembled with 1.8mm led.

I personally dont think the springs can create the different in sound that much ^^

Best regards.

This is probably why I didn't like the clears on my Orion. It was assembled with the square leds and the switches felt scratchy as hell to me : /

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #449 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 09:01:31 »

Best regards.

This is probably why I didn't like the clears on my Orion. It was assembled with the square leds and the switches felt scratchy as hell to me : /

Do LEDs affect the feeling of the switch? I was convinced when someone said that it could change the sound, but changing the way the switch feels seems kinda out there for me. Maybe you just need to lube your switches?
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64