Author Topic: 60% Build Log  (Read 11140 times)

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
60% Build Log
« on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 01:50:57 »
I've been planning on doing a custom 60% build for a while now, and today I ordered the first of my parts. I plan to assemble everything myself, including a hand-wired matrix and from-scratch firmware.

The first decision I made was what physical layout I wanted to work with. I decided on a Poker II physical layout for a couple of reasons. It was the easiest 60% board to find a plate for, as the Poker is one of the most common 60% MX boards, and it allowed me to use 100% standard size keycaps. I wouldn't have to dig around for a 1.75x shift or a function cap. I considered having two 1u keys in the space usually dedicated to the backspace, so that I could have esc and `~ on the top layer, but decided against it in favour of ease of sourcing parts.

The next step I took was to determine a layout for the top layer and the function layer. The biggest decisions I faced in the top layer was determining whether I wanted `~ or esc in my top left corner, and which bottom row keys to sacrifice for fn keys. Because I find myself spending a lot of time in linux on the command line, I decided I wanted ready access to `~. As I have never used the apps button or the right super key in my life, I changed those keys to fn lock and fn respectively. On my function layer, I duplicated all the functionality I lost on the top layer going from a TKL board to a 60% board. Esc and f1-f12 fill the first 13 slots in the top row (backspace is left accessible). WASD is replaced with arrow keys. TYU/GHJ are replaced with the 6-key cluster, and OP[{ is replaced with Print Screen/Scroll Lock/Pause. I do frequently use print screen and pause, scroll lock is kept for the sake of completeness -- otherwise I'd keep a blank space between the two keys to keep the spacing the same relative to each other.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/30f7d2f9ef2a1f81a14cd943a95efd23

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/9a639f9115c36b014a15cffce344eeb3

I envision the fn and fn lock keys to act in a similar way as caps lock and shift do on the alphas. Pressing fn lock will lock the board into the function layer, or what I call "web mode" This leaves me with access to all the keys I use on a regular basis when browsing the internet, in conjunction with a mouse -- arrow keys, home, end, pgup, pgdn, f5, f11, backspace and tab. When in this mode, holding fn will return me to the standard layer, and allow me to type a short phrase (i.e. web address) by hunting and pecking with my other hand. For typing more in depth (i.e. forum post), I can exit the function lock, and use both hands. If in the top layer I need to access one of the function layer keys, I can use the fn key as normal.

The only thing this layout sacrifices is a second function layer for a number pad. My next project will likely be a custom MX numberpad, unless I buy a separate numberpad in the meantime. The lack of a number pad is something I have never had an issue with on TKL boards, I don't expect to miss it any more in a 60% layout. Having a separate number pad would allow me to place the pad to the left of the keyboard, and allows me to have the pad in a non-staggered layout and with 2x keys, which is what I am used to.

Next step was to decide on a controller and other parts. I have costar stabs from when I harvested parts from my RK-9000, and I have enough switches to do MX blues or MX greens. If I decide I want to do clears, I'll need to order another 50 switches, so I'm going to go ahead with greens for now. I need a controller that can accommodate at least 61 intersections, which means I need 16 available pins for an 8x8 or a 7x9 matrix. I decided on an Arduino Pro Micro because I've heard a lot of good things about working with them. If I run into trouble, my dad has written keyboard firmware for an old alps board on one of these, so I have a resource if I need it. To get better than 2KRO, I need diodes, and I've ordered 500 1N4148. This is enough for my keyboard and planned numpad, as well as some spares and components for other projects.

I'm still looking around for a plate and a case. At this point, I'm more interested in a plate, as if worst comes to worst, I can mount the whole assembly on a block of wood. However, I'll need a plate to begin the wiring. If anyone has any suggestions for sourcing a Poker II plate or similar layout with support for plate mounted stabs and switch cutouts, I'm all ears. I'm hoping to get a plate in a neutral colour, as I don't know yet for certain what caps will end up on this board (at this point, probably toxic, maybe Ivan's PBT blanks).

Parts list:

Switches (have, MX Blue/Green)
Stabilizers (have, costar)
Diodes (ordered)
Controller (ordered)
Plate (Need)
Case (Need)
Caps (ordered compatible)

Feel free to discuss, offer criticism/feedback, etc. This is my first custom build, so I expect some stumbling blocks, hopefully I don't break too much of anything.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
60% Build Log
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 02:00:55 »
Good luck with your project. It sounds like a fun undertaking. Have you considered taking a cutting wheel to the Rosewill plate to get your 60% plate? It has been done before. :)

Edit: Thread about the cut down plate http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34442.0
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 August 2014, 02:05:32 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
Re: 60% Build Log
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 02:09:41 »
I definitely considered it, but it wouldn't allow me to have switch cutouts, at least not without a ton of work. Without a PCB, I expect it to be much more difficult to change switches by desoldering, I was hoping to be able to switch them out without as much trouble. I was also hoping to keep the rosewill plate/case as a switch test bed, to test out a few switches on a plate in a case to decide if I like them, or to offer as a tester to friends. If I really can't find a plate, I may have to just bite the bullet, but I hope it won't come to that.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 02:19:06 »
For a direct wired project without a PCB, you may not want the cutouts on the sides for switch top opening. It's recommended to glue the switches to the plate anyway, to keep them from pulling out of the plate whenever you pull a keycap off. But to subject the switch to the force required to pull the top of the housing off is almost sure to pull the entire housing away from the plate. Which would be somewhere between mildly annoying to downright disastrous, depending on how tightly you wire the matrix on the back.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 02:23:23 »
What about using a little bit of epoxy and securing the switch bottoms to the plate, while leaving the tops free to be removed? Might that work?

I didn't know about that issue with direct wiring, thanks for bringing it up :)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 02:24:58 »
What about using a little bit of epoxy and securing the switch bottoms to the plate, while leaving the tops free to be removed? Might that work?

I didn't know about that issue with direct wiring, thanks for bringing it up :)
You can try it, of course, but be wary of doing it in any case. Much better to decide what switches you like before wiring them into a matrix. :)

in memoriam

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 02:33:40 »
The problem is, I'm torn between clears and greens. I guess the best solution is to buy another couple of stabs and build a second board :P

Actually, that would give me an excuse to pick up a nostalgia set....

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 14:14:36 »
I'm also looking into options for getting some custom plates cut from aluminum, in the event that I can't find a source to buy a plate. What type (i.e. 6061) and thickness of aluminum would people recommend for plates? I believe I need somewhere in the neighbourhood of 1/16" for plate mount stabs (at least, that's what all the stock plates on my boards with plate mount stabs are).

Whatever type I choose, I'll probably buy a small sheet and have it laser cut locally. Any recommendations?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 14:51:02 »
I'm also looking into options for getting some custom plates cut from aluminum, in the event that I can't find a source to buy a plate. What type (i.e. 6061) and thickness of aluminum would people recommend for plates? I believe I need somewhere in the neighbourhood of 1/16" for plate mount stabs (at least, that's what all the stock plates on my boards with plate mount stabs are).

Whatever type I choose, I'll probably buy a small sheet and have it laser cut locally. Any recommendations?

You could use 6061 or 5052 Alu, 304 Stainless, or even mild steel. The thickness should always be 0.060" or as close as possible to that.

in memoriam

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 19:25:38 »
I've taken a look into CAD for plate design, and it's surprisingly complicated. Definitely more work than I'm able to get into now, what with heading back to school soon. Maybe I'll tackle that when I have some more spare time :P

Does anyone know if there's a dxf/dwg/compatible format CAD file out there for a stock poker plate? Based on advice from jdcarpe, I want a plate design that's as basic as possible -- i.e. no switch cutouts. I only need support for plate mount costar stabilizers, but if it's easier to support plate mount cherry stabs as well, that would be fine too I guess. If possible, I'd like to have holes cut to allow the installation of my plate into an aftermarket poker case as well. I'm not sure if I'm going to be using an aftermarket poker case or building my own case yet, but either way I think it'd be better to follow what's most widely available.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 00:04:07 »
Quick little update here.

I've got the diodes, controller, and other miscellaneous parts in. I also picked up a stock Poker II plate (thanks Signature!) that's going to work great for putting things together. I also picked up a Nostalgia set, and am using a 1.25x ISO shift for the FN key, and a 1.25 blank for the FN lock.

I'm still debating about a case, whether I should go acrylic, alu, or just make one out of wood.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 00:20:29 »
I'm still debating about a case, whether I should go acrylic, alu, or just make one out of wood.

Why not a combination?  If that's possible.  Combine some wood and acrylic.  Think that'd be pretty neat.  Haven't seen that yet.

Offline kitsun8

• In need of some cash
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 05:46:45 »
Just saw this. Have you considered the mx lock switches? Having that would eliminate the need for a function lock key and you might be able to add numpad to a second function layer.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 17:56:38 »

Why not a combination?  If that's possible.  Combine some wood and acrylic.  Think that'd be pretty neat.  Haven't seen that yet.

I hadn't thought of that. Not sure if it's possible, although I can't see why it wouldn't be. I'm more concerned that it might not look all that great.

Just saw this. Have you considered the mx lock switches? Having that would eliminate the need for a function lock key and you might be able to add numpad to a second function layer.

I have thought about the MX lock keys, but using only a MX lock doesn't give me the functionality I want from the board. I'd rather do it in software and have the two keys, so when I'm in the regular layer, I can use the regular function key to just access arrows quickly.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 18:23:46 »
I hadn't thought of that. Not sure if it's possible, although I can't see why it wouldn't be. I'm more concerned that it might not look all that great.

Hmmm, maybe.  I had something like this in mind when I typed up that post.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 17:38:36 »
Those designs do work well, I'm just at a loss as to how to translate anything like that into an actual case. I think the whole thing would feel more cohesive if it were to be made from a single material.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 23:08:29 »
Finished my first pass at firmware today. I'm sure it could be better, but it seems to work so far. I haven't tested it with a matrix, but when I connect pins to individual switches, I get keys registering.

I ordered a bunch of springs from sprit, so I think I'm going to wait and see if I prefer my keys heavier or lighter before I get to actually soldering the matrix. I've settled on doing a nice wooden case for this build, paired with the Nostalgia set. I'm also going to be attempting to build a raspberry pi model B+ into the chassis. Ideally, the board will be set up so that I can run a cable from one port on the chassis to a computer, and have the board act as a standalone keyboard. If I instead run a power cable from the wall to a second port on the chassis, this powers the raspberry pi, and the board is linked to the pi as a USB input device. I may end up with a very tall board, but I think it'll come together nicely.

Offline Lubed Up Slug

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 02:27:20 »
I did this exact thing. Made my own 60% plate hand wired etc. I would recommend that you sort out the case/mounting situation early on because I just made a regular 60% plate not one with special holes for mounting it without a PCB. I ended up using screws that went through the holes for PCB screws and screwed them into some wood and the whole thing is uncomfortably tall. I would also recommend that you go for regular cutouts not ones where the switches can be removed because you def want more stability without a PCB. One last thing, I see that you have bought a plate but if you have the necessary materials and machinery(your university prob will) making a plate isn't too hard. The CAD resources thread is really helpful and it is just a lot of copying and pasting(and googling).
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 December 2014, 02:30:35 by Lubed Up Slug »