Author Topic: Dorkvader's Mods Hacks and Builds [CLOSED]  (Read 16319 times)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Dorkvader's Mods Hacks and Builds [CLOSED]
« on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 16:46:01 »
STORE CLOSED

I'm finishing up with projects and commitments and I'd like to take on a few more.

Things I can do:
Keyboard building: I can take pretty much anything apart and put it back together. Switches, springs, keytops, soldering, etc.
Controller / converter builds: Internal or external. I've made a fair few.
Bolt Mods on model Ms

Specific KB work
sticker / lube / SIP mod / spring swap / housing swap / etc on cherry MX switches

Soldering & SMD Soldering.

Diagnosis / repair: This is highly variable, and I don't have all the tools to do everything anymore, but I can identify most problems and fix many.
Tips, help, advice and general consulting for your DIY build.

I will update this with pictures of my work.

I currently live in Massachusetts and am happy to work for anyone international.

I am very flexible with payment types. I take both paypal and amazon, and maybe some things in trade. We can work something out.

Equipment:

Setup Picture

Soldering:
1. OKI PS800 soldering station, 3 tips (main iron)
3. Pace MBT 250 Soldering station (new, still need to do initial setup)

Desoldering
1. Hakko 808 (now that I have a tip / barrel cleaner, I use this primarily. We'll see if it'll last, though. I havent had good experience with Hakko)
2. OKI PS800 + edsyn Soldapullt. (My old one finally broke after a few thousand joints. I can technically repair it, but I have a much better lubed one from Mkawa)
3. Pace MBT250 desoldering station (will move up to #1 primary station once I get my tips in the mail)
4. Braid

PCB holder: Panavise with vacuum base

Desk: Metro starsys line movable medical workstation. Stainless steel surface, drawers + cabinet. Light. Lockable upper cabinets.
---
Work I have done:

Here's a Kitten paw I made today or the excellent CPTbadass!

« Last Edit: Fri, 10 July 2015, 23:32:57 by dorkvader »

Offline dorkvader

Re: Dorkvader's Mods Hacks and Builds
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 00:05:36 »

Completed Projects:
  • gon 60% sip mod (desolder / solder), stabilizer clip & replacement for epzy
  • headphone cable build / replacement
  • beamspring controller replacement (currently waiting for me to figure out ISO keys; hardware works)
  • Eagle Assembly for kle5635 (switches, SIP sockets, LEDs and SMD LED replacement)
  • Eagle Assembly for xybre (switches & LEDs)
  • viper assembly for paobit (switches, SMD LED replacement, LED)
  • ctrl.alt JD40 build
  • Sticker + Lube + SIP mod + spring swap MX browns + Full assembly of a GON 60% (side LEDs, resistors for all LEDs and diodes) for Vibex

Currently working on:
  • Kb hardwire conversion
  • kishsaver controller replacement & powdercoat (waiting on powdercoater)

Waiting on parts
  • NerD TKL for codyeatworld (plate & screws)
  • lightsaver pcb/switch/spring/led swap gon build dolch desodler for taylordcraig (green switches & New NerD PCB)

This does not count my own projects. Busy busy!

If you want me to work on your stuff, be prepared to wait a while.
I do everything twice to ensure it's as good as I can get. This takes a bit longer. Also, some projects require a lot of SMD work, which takes a lot of time.

I recently found out that SIP mod and stickers takes about 5 times longer. Lubing switches is a lot quicker than I had expected.
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 December 2014, 01:45:17 by dorkvader »

Offline kle5635

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 11:20:31 »
Can you build me one black eagle please?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 13:43:45 »
I know you have a lot of experience in computer diagnosis/repair, so is your mention of that above referring mainly to computers or also to other electronics/keyboards?  I don't have a use for this currently, but others might find value in knowing if that's restricted to one type of device.   :thumb:

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 18:49:10 »

Can you build me one black eagle please?
you bet!

I know you have a lot of experience in computer diagnosis/repair, so is your mention of that above referring mainly to computers or also to other electronics/keyboards?  I don't have a use for this currently, but others might find value in knowing if that's restricted to one type of device.   :thumb:

If you want to mail me your computer I'd be happy to look into it. I have repaired at least 3000 computers in the last few years.

I don't have as much experience with smartphones and tablets though.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 18:49:28 »
GET THIS MAN TO MOD YOUR BOARDS. Seriously. SERIOUSLY.

I have been typing on an SSK that dorkvader modded for me for about a year now and it's easily the best feeling Model M keyboard I've ever typed on. Easily my favorite buckling spring over membrane board and I'm so happy that it's mine! It's tight, it's springy, and it feels really solid. Hard to improve on Ms but it happened.

Easy to work with, easy to talk to, and I know that my bolt mod was solid because he showed me the McMasterCarr order beforehand. He didn't pay me to say this or anything. I'm just a really really satisfied customer. :D

« Last Edit: Sat, 02 August 2014, 19:03:12 by CPTBadAss »

Offline nathairtras

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 02:51:33 »
I'm torn between buying one of the new KBParadise V60s in MX Green, or modifying a KBT Pure Pro to have a non-standard switch type (green, white, tactile gray?) but even if I weren't still unsure of my soldering skills on a $100+ item, I just don't have the time to dedicate to this sort of project. Can you provide a quote, less shipping, to do a switch swap for a KBT Pure Pro?

...follow-up: would you take the switches (mx brown) from the donor board as part of the payment?  ;D
CM QFR Green

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 03:38:23 »
Thank goodness more American modders!

gl Dorkvader although you won't need it ^_^
I love Elzy

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 14:20:15 »
I'm torn between buying one of the new KBParadise V60s in MX Green, or modifying a KBT Pure Pro to have a non-standard switch type (green, white, tactile gray?) but even if I weren't still unsure of my soldering skills on a $100+ item, I just don't have the time to dedicate to this sort of project. Can you provide a quote, less shipping, to do a switch swap for a KBT Pure Pro?

...follow-up: would you take the switches (mx brown) from the donor board as part of the payment?  ;D

PM'd!

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 14:22:01 »
i
GET THIS MAN TO MOD YOUR BOARDS. Seriously. SERIOUSLY.

I have been typing on an SSK that dorkvader modded for me for about a year now and it's easily the best feeling Model M keyboard I've ever typed on. Easily my favorite buckling spring over membrane board and I'm so happy that it's mine! It's tight, it's springy, and it feels really solid. Hard to improve on Ms but it happened.

Easy to work with, easy to talk to, and I know that my bolt mod was solid because he showed me the McMasterCarr order beforehand. He didn't pay me to say this or anything. I'm just a really really satisfied customer. :D

Show Image

i am hombre...........contacted him and am going to send him my F to teensy or soarer over for me. will probably need a clean since i never popped the top
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 14:24:36 »
will probably need a clean since i never popped the top
Found my cleaning wipes so that won't be a problem!

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 07:33:39 »
Was wondering if you would be up for building me a Gon 60 NerD HHKB. It would require stickering and lubing, but I cuold provide extra switches and supplies so you could learn to do it first. I'm still sourcing all the parts and waiting to get one of the Black NerD 60 PCBs, but other then the PCB and one MX lock switch, everything else is pretty easy to come by. If your up for it, PM me a price. :thumb:

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 15:39:21 »
Was wondering if you would be up for building me a Gon 60 NerD HHKB. It would require stickering and lubing, but I cuold provide extra switches and supplies so you could learn to do it first. I'm still sourcing all the parts and waiting to get one of the Black NerD 60 PCBs, but other then the PCB and one MX lock switch, everything else is pretty easy to come by. If your up for it, PM me a price. :thumb:
I'm getting an amount of extra red switches from the sprit GB. I can send it your way if you want. Its only 10ish but I guess it´s better than nothing :)
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 23:32:52 »
I'm getting an amount of extra red switches from the sprit GB. I can send it your way if you want. Its only 10ish but I guess it´s better than nothing :)
Thanks for the offer, but it's okay. Shipping would cost a bit, and I prefer to use blacks for aesthetic reasons. Thanks again though. ;D

Offline lolkey

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 18:34:31 »
how many dolla bills to lube a filco tkl?
filco ninja mj2 tkl · mx brown · black case · blank black pbt
varmilo va87mr tkl · gateron red · black case · dye sub pbt ❤
vortex pok3r rgb · mx silent · white case · blank xda pbt

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 16:07:22 »
Thank goodness more American modders!

gl Dorkvader although you won't need it ^_^

I would be happy to ship these internationally, should anyone desire it :)

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 16:49:06 »
PMing you about a NerD TKL!

Offline Parak

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 22:31:07 »
I'm Parak, and this is my favorite store on the Geekadel.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 23:11:33 »
I am interested. do you have a brochure or further literature?

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 15:03:17 »
That is one seriously awesome setup.

If I didn't live in the UK, you would be getting my Model M sent your way!
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 07:58:46 »
OH I just saw the pictures for the first time! I'm loving your setup and my Kitten Paw is looking good :D. Thanks for putting it together!
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 August 2014, 08:17:30 by CPTBadAss »

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 13:35:38 »
OH I just saw the pictures for the first time! I'm loving your setup and my Kitten Paw is looking good :D. Thanks for putting it together!

Thanks!

I would have a better picture, but I can't back up enough from it. Directly behind it is a hot-rodded 1988 mustang until we get the new garage finished.

Hopefully I can retake the picture next week.

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 08:24:54 »
You do fantastic work, sir. I assume we'll be in touch soon, for something or other...
Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 15:20:19 »
Hey Dorky, I don't know if we've talked much in my year on GH.
I was going to enlist Sifo when this time came but his springs rusted.  :'( RIP Sifo's Springs
So I need a bunch of work done!
It looks like you're full up but that was a month ago so maybe you've cleared a project or more. :)
I'll PM you about the specifics, thanks a lot!

Offline margo baggins

• Dungeon Dweller
  • * Maker
  • Get back to work!
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 07:39:03 »
PACE, Edsyn and Metcal irons :D

you're my favourite.

5 at a time is good going! What PCB stand is that?

2 things I am missing in life - your metcal station, and a decent pcb stand.

« Last Edit: Fri, 10 October 2014, 07:43:56 by margo baggins »
I got boards.

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 22:21:38 »
Ugh really considering asking you for help, haha.  Can't find time to build this left handed ergodox =/
Hi :)

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 15:19:36 »
PACE, Edsyn and Metcal irons :D

you're my favourite.

5 at a time is good going! What PCB stand is that?

2 things I am missing in life - your metcal station, and a decent pcb stand.

Well I sold the edsyn to a GHer that needed it and so will ahve to old on to the OKI (now metcal) one for now.

PCB holder is a panavise with vacuum base,
Ugh really considering asking you for help, haha.  Can't find time to build this left handed ergodox =/
I've built up at least 5 ergodoxes, so if you want me to do yours, just let me know. I use a LH ergodox myself for gaming.

Offline margo baggins

• Dungeon Dweller
  • * Maker
  • Get back to work!
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 11:24:59 »
No Worries! I can get a 900 at the moment for a decent price so I will just pick up a new one :) Postage would of probably made me cry for yours!
I got boards.

Offline spookymikal

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 16:34:21 »
I sent Dorkvader a pair of JVC HA-RX 900's with a busted cable. What I got back was freakin' magic.

He did an absolutely incredible job on the project. The cable looks beautiful, you can't even tell the headphones were ever disassembled. He kept me updated with project status throughout and even provided some pictures of the process. The stress-reliever on the cable is solid and the piece where it meets the headphones looks like it came straight out of the factory.

Outstanding work, would highly recommend for any electronics.

Offline paobit

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 23:48:19 »
I sent my duck viper to be assembled by dorkvader and this is my first time ever having a keyboard assembled.  I can honestly say I've never had a better experience. He was on point with everything and did the assembly incredibly fast. I'm sure we will be messaging each other again if I ever need a keyboard assembled.

Everyone... you will not be disappointed! Have dorkvader assemble your keyboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 22:34:48 »
the piece where it meets the headphones looks like it came straight out of the factory.
To be completely fair, this is because the piece where the cable meets the headphone (often called a "cable gland" depending on the design) actually did come straight out of the factory. JVC was nice enough to use an actual cable gland instead of overmolding the cable with plastic like what cheaper headphones do. I slid the old cable out and made sure the new cable would fit in its place.

Thanks very much for the reviews everyone!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Dorkvader's Mods Hacks and Builds [Currently reopened; send me stuff]
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 08:41:34 »
DV what's your back log looking like? Are you still taking on new projects?

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 10:16:23 »
OH, I forgot to ever post here. Dorkvader did a fantastic job on my GON HHKB. It is the most glorious thing I've seen, and despite all my requests he was able to do everything to a T. A+ builder. I wish I had my camera so I could take some pics, but I go back to Boston tomorrow, so I'll take some pics then. :thumb:

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 19:10:26 »
Dork has been doing a great job on my boards and keeping me updated during the process.
He just got the last of my parts in today.
I'm excited to get my stuff back so I can give a full recommend, but this is my pre-emptive praise.

Offline AbuBakr

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 22:49:11 »
Have you ever modified Topres before? I wanted to change the domes in a board so as to chnage the amount of weight required to actuate a press.

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 13:57:54 »
Dorkvader,
Can you fix/mod older gaming consoles? I have a Mattel Intellivision and an Atari 5200 that power on and that's about it--blank screen or garbled graphics with no sound. I've taken them apart but I lack the tools and knowledge to fix them.
Sounds like you might be the man for the job!
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline blueasjim

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 18:33:25 »
Do you have set prices or do we message you and you give us ballpark estimate?
Vortex KBT PURE [MX Red] | CM Storm [MX Blue] | CM Storm [MX Red]

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 14:08:43 »
Let me add my voice here too! I contacted Sam back before I knew much about keyboards at all. I'd just started poking around GH and saw his page here, and he seemed to know what he was talking about. So I contacted him to ask how much he'd charge to restore a Model M for me if I picked one up on eBay in "typical original condition".

He was so kind and helpful when he replied, and we ended up chatting quite a bit. For such a busy guy, he was sure generous with his time.

I ended up buying the same Model M he used for his well-known bolt-modding tutorial. Not only is it an awesome, utterly solid board, but I feel like it's kind of a celebrity, since Sam used it to help so many other people mod theirs.

I've since learned a lot about KBs myself (thanks GH!) and am currently (but slowly) bolt-modding another Model M myself. Sam's now modding a Model F AT for me so its main section will be similar to twentynine's AT here). It's utterly exciting to imagine how beautifully it'll turn out.

Sam's about a lot more than fixing and modding KBs—he loves what he does, and he's all about doing things the best way and making KB people the happiest. He's also a heck of a nice and decent guy, and one of the smartest people I've ever known. I recommend him without reservation!
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Re: Dorkvader's Mods Hacks and Builds [CLOSED]
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 22:52:38 »
I just ran into this thread.  I have an old original Winbook xp (before windows xp even existed, haha) and one day it stopped turning on completely when I quickly turned the power switch off and on in rapid success.  This was back in 1998-99, but I still have the laptop and would like it restored to operation.  It was the first pc based laptop with a beautiful thumb-based trackball that rivaled the macbooks at the time.  It was actually manufactured by a company called Jetta, but they don't exist anymore. :(

Think you can fix it?  I can start dusting it off and make sure it is in the same condition as it was when it first broke if there's a chance.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 02:47:38 »
I have an old original Winbook xp (before windows xp even existed, haha) and one day it stopped turning on completely when I quickly turned the power switch off and on in rapid success... Think you can fix it?...

SamirD: I don't know if Sam is still actively monitoring this thread. It's better to send him a PM (Personal Message).
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 02 August 2015, 23:16:39 »
Thanks for the interest, however I am not taking on more work at the moment.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 15:07:57 »
I have an old original Winbook xp (before windows xp even existed, haha) and one day it stopped turning on completely when I quickly turned the power switch off and on in rapid success... Think you can fix it?...
SamirD: I don't know if Sam is still actively monitoring this thread. It's better to send him a PM (Personal Message).
Thanks for the interest, however I am not taking on more work at the moment.
I didn't see that I had a replies until now.  :-[  Thank you both for the replies!