Author Topic: Fire! Women and keyboards first!  (Read 1500 times)

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
Fire! Women and keyboards first!
« on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 16:57:12 »
Hi all,
I was introduced to the magic of mechanical keyboards nary a few years ago by my friend who owned a couple of Model Ms. I was aware of their existence but had yet to "feel" the magic under my fingertips. The very next day I searched the www for a Model M purchase. Well, the rest is, how do you say, history! I look forward to interacting, swapping war stories with and learning from all of you.
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Fire! Women and keyboards first!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 17:19:44 »
Welcome to GH! Is that a G80-3000 or 1501 in your profile picture? The stickers are fun :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 04:41:07 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Another Model M fan - you can't go wrong buying IBM :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline smarmar

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 15:45:54 »
The keyboard in my profile pic is a boring ol' Dell with rubber domes that I use as one of my backups. I dolled it up with a paint job and stickers. I have 2 other painted backups as well--a Dell Quiet Keys and a Mitsumi :D
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 16:09:52 »
Damn, totally called it wrong LOL.  Still cool though

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 16:10:50 »
This thread is getting hot.

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 16:27:28 »
Welcome!

The IBM Model M is my go-to weapon for the zombie apocalypse. Also, it's great to type on. :p

Enjoy your stay! This is a great community. :thumb:
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline smarmar

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 16:56:46 »
Oh, by the way, thanks for welcoming me, everyone.

The Model M would also be my choice for a zombie melee weapon; I would duel-wield the two that I own. The detachable cables make for good whips, too.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 17:12:55 »

lolwut?  I think you and I have different ideas about what is sexy.  Unless it's just CaptBadAss that turns you on.  That I can understand.  He is smoking.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 23:14:18 »

lolwut?  I think you and I have different ideas about what is sexy.  Unless it's just CaptBadAss that turns you on.  That I can understand.  He is smoking.

Might just be a reference to the temperature?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ