Author Topic: Chyron Maxine keyboard with Clears $32 shipped (2 available)  (Read 5068 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Chyron Maxine keyboard with Clears $32 shipped (2 available)
« on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 19:21:52 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chyron-Max-Character-Generator-Keyboard-/221400471251?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338c7f16d3

It's a great price if you want to harvest some MX Clears. I prefer used Clears to new, so, if you're like me, this could be worth it.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Chyron Maxine keyboard with Clears $32 shipped (2 available)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 21:01:04 »
That's an interesting board to disassemble, tempted to get another one.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 21:06:37 »
Thank you nubbinator :D

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 21:06:49 »
Hmmm, that is interesting. I had to pick one up just out of curiosity. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 21:22:40 »
if -uh- someone hasn't entered their shipping info yet, I'd happily desodler it for you ..? Id also happily cross-ship an equivalent quantity of switches.

If not, please take pictures for me!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 21:34:14 »
I'll take disassembly pictures Dorkvader.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 14:03:54 »
Ugh, I have the worst eBay luck. That's a waste of $40. Seller sent me a Chyron Infinity keyboard, which definitely does not have MX switches, much less clears. :(

in memoriam

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 14:08:03 »
Ugh, I have the worst eBay luck. That's a waste of $40. Seller sent me a Chyron Infinity keyboard, which definitely does not have MX switches, much less clears. :(

:( been there done that....

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 14:09:16 »

Dispute it?  They didn't send what was pictured after all.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 14:13:11 »

Yeah, I'm debating what to do. I could get my $40 back, but I'm going to have to spend $20+ in return shipping to get it.

in memoriam

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 14:42:07 »

Yeah, I'm debating what to do. I could get my $40 back, but I'm going to have to spend $20+ in return shipping to get it.

I don't think you have to pay return shipping if the item wasn't as pictured.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 14:43:17 »

Yeah, you do. Not my first rodeo with eBay seller not sending me the correct item, unfortunately. (Last time was that 122-key Model F from Canada that arrived as a Model M).

in memoriam

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 14:44:05 »

Yeah, you do. Not my first rodeo with eBay seller not sending me the correct item, unfortunately. (Last time was that 122-key Model F from Canada that arrived as a Model M).

Ouch, that's rough.

Offline xavierblak

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 15:02:40 »
Whoa I thought all Chyron keyboards of that design were MX switches. What type of switch are they, membrane?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 15:09:30 »
Whoa I thought all Chyron keyboards of that design were MX switches. What type of switch are they, membrane?

He was sent a different model than advertised.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 15:13:23 »
This is some kind of linear switch with a light coil spring around a white plastic slider.

in memoriam

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 15:14:50 »

73360-0

The Chyron I purchased a while back that wasn't clears was this, someone said it was maybe foam and foil.

On a side note, JD you think these springs could be used on topre switches, like the spacebar spring?
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 August 2014, 15:18:49 by SpAmRaY »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 15:25:26 »

(Attachment Link)

The Chyron I purchased a while back that wasn't clears was this, someone said it was maybe foam and foil.

On a side note, JD you think these springs could be used on topre switches, like the spacebar spring?
That's exactly what these look like. I was thinking they must be foam and foil.

I don't see why you couldn't use them for a Topre spacebar. It seems very similar to the ones they use.

in memoriam

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 15:40:14 »
appears to be keytronic foam and foil.

The even older but still similar looking vintage keytronic F&F aren't *too* bad: very linear. Another good use for the springs is to convert dome RAFI switches to mechanical (linear). BTC foam & foil springs are a good choice too. As far as I know the major difference is the plate mounting style and the appearance of keytronic / spokane, WA on the front of the switch housing. (and the keycap design of course. Spherical VS what appears to be comptek / SP.)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 15:49:17 »
That sure looks like Key Tronic foam-and-foil. I'm not sure if the spring is wide enough for Topre, though.

Offline xavierblak

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 15:49:32 »
Good to know.

Checking through ebay I found this listing looks like it has both switch types for reference. It's not going to help when the seller doesn't post the correct pictures but it looks like the keycaps are different enough to tell them apart. Assuming chyron stayed consistent.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 16:54:19 »
They’re pretty easy to tell apart. But if you’re having trouble, just look for the shape of the caps lock key. The Key Tronic ones have an LED in the lower part of the step. (Of course, that doesn’t help you if the seller puts pictures up of the wrong keyboard.)

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 19:13:02 »

I have a foam & foil board, I'll try this and report back.

Update: The spring is not quite wide enough and makes the switch feel super gritty. Would not recommend.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 August 2014, 19:18:23 by ComradeSniper »

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 19:55:08 »

Update: The spring is not quite wide enough and makes the switch feel super gritty. Would not recommend.

I was just going to report the opposite. I have a foam and foil board. The springs are pretty light on it (10 nickels to bottom out = 50g at bottom out!). The spring itself is the same diameter as the base of the switch, so you have to widen it slightly to "screw" it into place (it will also quit moving about and stay put well.)

Then my 30g spacebar is all of a sudden 130g (the spring is compressed much more under the topre stem than the keytronic one at bottom out.) otherwise very smooth feeling and quite linear.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 21:23:44 »

I was just going to report the opposite. I have a foam and foil board. The springs are pretty light on it (10 nickels to bottom out = 50g at bottom out!). The spring itself is the same diameter as the base of the switch, so you have to widen it slightly to "screw" it into place (it will also quit moving about and stay put well.)

Then my 30g spacebar is all of a sudden 130g (the spring is compressed much more under the topre stem than the keytronic one at bottom out.) otherwise very smooth feeling and quite linear.

I messed with it a little bit more and couldn't seem to get it to sit nicely on the switch like you described. Then I realized it might be because the switch base on the HHKB is just a tiny bit wider than the one on the Realforce. Sure enough, with a little bit of finesse it slid onto a switch in my 23u and sat there just fine. As you said, it pretty much feels linear now, with an incredibly snappy upstroke I might add. I can't even stack the nickels high enough to figure out how much it weighs. It's ridiculously heavy, way too much for even a spacebar switch in my opinion.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 23:19:09 »
h it a little bit more and couldn't seem to get it to sit nicely on the switch like you described. Then I realized it might be because the switch base on the HHKB is just a tiny bit wider than the one on the Realforce. Sure enough, with a little bit of finesse it slid onto a switch in my 23u and sat there just fine. As you said, it pretty much feels linear now, with an incredibly snappy upstroke I might add. I can't even stack the nickels high enough to figure out how much it weighs. It's ridiculously heavy, way too much for even a spacebar switch in my opinion.

Agreed, very heavy! I startedtyping likethisby mistake after Iinstalledit. I had to get a whole pile of change stacked up on it and 130g was not enough but close. It's heavier even than an XT spacebar.

And I have some very heavy keytronic springs I could have put on there instead. This was with a 45g spring, Can you imagine what it'd be with a 150g spring? (the "reset" button is very heavy on that keyboard, as it likely resets the terminal and should only be pressed with care, 150g is a guess as I have not measured it yet.)