Author Topic: Ducky Shine 3 TKL MX-Blue ISO/DE white LED first impressions by a semi-newbie  (Read 9001 times)

Offline Joe Kerr

Background / Intro
More
Hi folks! As I lack time, I'll just give a short introduction about myself right here instead of the introforum. I hope thats OK.
I also think that it is always helpful to know a litte bit about a reviewer, to put things in perspective.

I'm ~30 y.o., german, and work as an admin in a small company.
I don't type blind or with all 10 fingers. Over the years I developed my own anarchistic half-blind, 6,5-finger system, which works quite well for my needs.
Also, I don't type that much, actually. I want a mechanical keyboard just because it feels and sounds better, it lasts for decades, its more reliable, and because of nostalgia/retro desires.
When I was a kid in the early 90s, everyone seemed to have a mechanical keyboard. Mostly either a IBM model M, or an oldskool Cherry.
At least thats what I remember. At that time I didn't know or care about it. It was just normal to me.

Then PCs became a real mass-product, and rubberdomes became the norm. I didn't notice that at first. But some day I had problems with my cheap keyboard, and thought to myself "Hmmm, is it just me, or did keyboards suck much less in the past? New keyboards feel somehow different than the old ones." But because I have never been a heavy typer or eSports hardcore gamer, I still didn't care enough, and bought a new cheap ruberdome again.
I did that a few times. The absolutely worst one was some Cherry eVolution(?) Stream XT(?) with very flat keys. It often didn't recognise keystrokes, and the keys often got stuck and didn't come up completely again. Horrible!

So 2-3 years ago I thought "OK, it's time to finally get a proper keyboard! And while I'm at it, I might get one of those oldskool keyboards that click, and have this precise micro-switch feeling. I always liked those." At that time I stil didn't know about "rubberdomes" and "mechanicals". But during my research I at least found out that I'm probably looking for MX-Blue switches (and USB, and a black case). The prices shocked me! I was used to 10-15€ standard keyboards, and so I expected "good" keyboards to be in the 25-50€ range. The by far cheapest (~60€) mx-blue kb was the Cherry G80-3000LSCDE-2, which I still have.

The Cherry was a lot better than anything I've used in the last 10 years or so. But it still didn't come close to the old keyboards of my childhood. It is very filmsy and light. It's basicly MX-blues wrapped in a 5€-keyboard. I'm not saying it's junk! I'd buy that over most (non-highend) rubberdomes anytime. But it's not what you expect from a typical mechanical keyboard. The switches are there, the buildquality and robustness is not. But I got over my initial disappointment, and told me that its the cheapest option, and that I can't expect more for that (imho high) price.

First Impressions

Over the last year I got more and more fed up with my G80-3000. There wasn't any problem. I just remembered more and more that it is not what I originally wanted.
The dissapointment came back and creeped up on me. The typing never felt "right" and the noise was starting to annoy me a bit. It also just felt cheap overall.
In the meantime I did learn about mechanical keyboards etc. And so I did research for a dozen hours or so, and became interested in the Ducky Shine 3 TKL.
This time I was willing to spend a lot more. I wanted to get something proper, and then not care about keyboard related stuff for at least a decade.
I wanted a simple, clicky, tactile, compact, black, solid, USB,  standard-layout keyboard, without extra keys - for some typing (prio1) and some gaming (prio2), and with german keys.
The DS3 TKL offered all this, plus the backlighting. Since i rarely use the numblock, I happily sacrificed it to get my desired compactness. When I stumbled upon an eBay offer for an already opened unit for just 117€ shipped, I couldn't resist. It was the version with white LEDs.

So here are my thoughts so far:

Pros
  • much better than a Cherry G80-3000LSCDE-2
  • overall enjoyable, fun and satisfying to type on
  • very good buildquality, high weight, no flex (when using non-extreme force), everything you heard is true ;-)
  • keycasps look and feel relatively high quality imho, better than the Cherry's
  • I like the mx-blues even better now: feel is more solid and precise, bottom-out sound is deeper, softer and more quiet
    , overall less "rattle" and less "hollow echo". The Cherry sounds "empty", which it probably is
  • I can type a little faster on the Ducky
  • the dustcover reminded me, that it might be a good idea to get a nicer one and actually use it every day
  • the custom LED mode, where you can light up just the keys you want, is a cool alternative to coloured keycaps, imho -> highlighted WASD only when you need it
  • detachable standard USB cable with left/middle/right channel - all devices should have non-proprietary detachable cables, including headphones btw!

Cons
  • if I use those extra "flip-out feet" to give it more height, the rubber foot on the left front doesn't touch the table anymore.
    So when I push the keyboard forward with one finger at the middle of the kb, it "turns to the right".
    No big deal, because when you type, you push it down enough to touch the table.
    Tested on 2 different tables. Doesn't happen when the extra feet aren't used.
  • those extra feet don't have rubber at the bottom - doesn't seem to be an issue (when both 2 rubber feet under the front touch the table), but it would still feel more stable with rubber
  • the replacement spacebar doesn't feature a snake, but it still has a ducky logo and 2 stripes - I wish they would ship a normal, total black one
  • most LED modes are rather distracting when you look at the keyboard. And when you don't look: what's the point of those modes then?
  • in all modes the capslock and ScrLck (? "rollen" in german) keys are only lit up when you pressed them - that makes sense, but I still think it should be configurable because it looks strange with 2 "dead" keys
  • when the backlight is off, the keys look rather dimm and greyish. Almost okay, but not really satisfying -> I want shiny snow white double shots!
  • only 2 custom LED profiles are not enough - no one uses just 1 programm, or plays just 1 game, and most use different keys, so...

neutral/special/other
  • [only partly duckys fault] the backlight doesn't cover the whole key, only the upper part -> looks uneven and "defunct". Cherry's fault (imho), but the WASD Code does it better
  • [too subjective] in reactive mode, the delay is very short: the key goes back off/on too fast imho, should be longer or configurable -> firmwareupdate fixed this
  • [too subjective] highest brightness is way too high, even in daylight -> 1 is bright enough at night, 3 at day
  • [too subjective] brightness 1 is bright enough at night but then it looks uneven and too grayish -> higher is whiter and more even but too bright
  • [too subjective] I type slower in a dim room with backlight on, than in a room with proper light and backlight off (as I said in the intro: I type only half-blind)
  • [too subjective] I think it does "ping" slightly - but only if I bottom-out hard AND try to focus on it AND the room is silent. If I didn't try to listen for it right now, I guess I would have never heard it. But now that it is in my mind, I can hear it more often while I type this (I almost always bottom-out)! But it is relatively silent, imho. But yeah: once you heard it, you'll always hear it
  • [faulty unit?] F2 F3 F4 F6 F7 F8 NEVER light up in any mode -> my bad, fixed, read below
  • [faulty unit?] F1 F5 ALWAYS light up in all modes, even when the backlight is OFF -> my bad, fixed, read below

That's it so far. There are other, already known pros and cons, but those just weren't part of my personal first impression, so I won't repeat them in this mini-review.
I think I'll return it to the shop on thuesday because of the backlight issue. BTW: I bought it as "opened/returned" at a discount. Maybe the first buyer returned it because of this.
You can ask me questions or ask me to test stuff until I return it.

Conclusion / Lessons learned
  • I now feel more confident to stick with the mx-blues. Thought about browns or clears, and even lurked at Topres and Alps -> not anymore! Will instead look into lube, trampoline silicone balls, damper pads, thick PBT double shots, and o-rings as I want to try how it sounds and feels to get rid of a harsh bottom-out while keeping the microswitch-click-feel and the click-sound
  • ducky makes very nice sturdy keyboards that feel and imho sound great -> give me a non-faulty unit with a black spacebar, rubberdized extra feet and double shots without backlight, and I'm happy!
  • I don't need/want backlighting as it looks uneven, greyish at low brightness and especially while off, and slows down my typing in a dim lit room or total darkness (daytime is fine)
  • This Duky is not perfect for me personally, but it is close! I'll return it anyways, go back to my G80, and re-evaluate what keyboard to get instead. The hardest part will probably be to find german thick PBT white-on-black double shots with ISO layout. If there is no other way, maybe I'll set up a group buy, or a kickstater fundraising or so. They should sell like hotcakes, right?

Overall rating: 9/10
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 August 2014, 08:08:53 by Joe Kerr »

Offline tbc

Re: Ducky Shine 3 TKL MX-Blue ISO/DE first impressions by a semi-newbie
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 16:02:09 »
is the iso version different?

ALL speeds are customizable, including reactive.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Joe Kerr

Re: Ducky Shine 3 TKL MX-Blue ISO/DE first impressions by a semi-newbie
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 16:23:00 »
is the iso version different?

Different in what way? The biggest difference might be the big enter key.

ALL speeds are customizable, including reactive.

Thanks! How? The userguide only mentiones adjusting the brightness of the pressed and unpressed keys with Fn + arrow keys.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Welcome to Geekhack!

A very comprehensive review!

By the way, on a Ducky Shine 3 the function keys F1 to F8 are used by default to show the configuration of the lighting modes.  There is a keypress (in the manual) to get them to light up like the other keys.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Joe Kerr

Welcome to Geekhack!
A very comprehensive review!

Thank you!

By the way, on a Ducky Shine 3 the function keys F1 to F8 are used by default to show the configuration of the lighting modes.  There is a keypress (in the manual) to get them to light up like the other keys.

You're right, thanks! Now I found it in the manual. Review edited.

Now I only need to find out if and how to adjust the fade-in/-out. Because mine fades in/out much faster than in their official ad video (from 1:52 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS8-P-H9OeM&html5=1)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Fn + up/down arrows (or maybe Fn + left/right arrows) might help.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Joe Kerr

Nope. All cursor keys are for brightness up+down for pressed+unpressed keys.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.

Nope. All cursor keys are for brightness up+down for pressed+unpressed keys.

You're right!

Well, different firmware versions, perhaps?

Offline Joe Kerr

You're right!

Perhaps. I don't mind right now. I know I won't keep it for long. I'm currently leaning towards a WASD v2 or maybe a Phantom. I'm not in a hurry.
Now that i know my Ducky is at least not faulty, I'll not return it, and keep it until I find the perfect keyboard for me.

Or maybe I'll just get other keycaps and not use the backlight. BTW: Can I use non-backlit keycaps on this Ducky, or would there be problems?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
You're right!

Perhaps. I don't mind right now. I know I won't keep it for long. I'm currently leaning towards a WASD v2 or maybe a Phantom. I'm not in a hurry.
Now that i know my Ducky is at least not faulty, I'll not return it, and keep it until I find the perfect keyboard for me.

Or maybe I'll just get other keycaps and not use the backlight. BTW: Can I use non-backlit keycaps on this Ducky, or would there be problems?

You certainly can use non-backlit keycaps on it!

I have had all sorts of keycaps on mine, currently one has a mix of Ducky yellow and Ducky black keycaps, the other has Nathan's Set on it (white and orange).

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
Needs the latest firmware to adjust the reactive mode timing. If it's installed use FN+RAlt+Up/Down to change.
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline Joe Kerr

Needs the latest firmware to adjust the reactive mode timing. If it's installed use FN+RAlt+Up/Down to change.

Hey guys! Sorry for the late reply.
I just updated the firmware from 3.0.1 to 3.0.3 and now the delay is much longer and adjustable. Thanks for the tip, Grendel!
Review edited.

The new firmware also provides another nice improvement:
Quote from: Ducky
03. New: CM1 and CM2 mode are now independent. They can be activated in any backlight mode, with 3 brightness levels and breathing mode
(Fn + F11/F12).
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 August 2014, 08:30:36 by Joe Kerr »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Thanks for the update!

Anyone know if the Shine 3 DK9087 (US ANSI) V1.0.3 firmware would work on a TKL Yellow Edition?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
I downloaded the firmware anyway, and ran the updater.  Encouraged by it identifying that my Ducky had firmware version 1.0.1, I updated.

It reported success.

But using Fn+r_Alt + up and down arrows to change the fade rate seems a bit hit and miss.

Sometimes it simply adjusts the brightness (as if Alt was not pressed).

Sometimes it jumps from immediate fade to about half the slowest speed in their sample video.

Other times it seems to work properly.

I've got the really slow fade on at the moment (and don't want to touch iut as it took about 10 minutes of trying combinations to get it this far).  Fantastic!

:D

Offline Kiwi_321

Thanks, I like reviews like this. Subjective little notes can be very helpful - things like the rubber not connecting when the feet are put up!

Offline shinaider

I also bought a "Ducky Shine 3 - MX Blue (Fullsize german-ISO)" as my first mechnical keyboard some months ago. Well, it wasn't really my first mechanical one but the first in a long time. I was used to some mechanical ones in old school computers years ago and also had some experience on a "IBM Model M". I used so many computers, notebooks and different keyboards through all the years that I got the feeling, that the overall quality of keyboards is getting lower and lower especially in notebooks with of course some excaptions. That said, I wanted back to something with a better feeling and quality and was feeling lucky in just buying a Ducky.

My keyboard I used before was a "Logitech Illuminated k740". In my opinion, it's a really nice and good looking keyboard. But at the time I just wanted something a bit more sturdy and with multi-key rollover.

But was it worth it?

I'm really not the fastest typist, I'm just around, I don't know 90wpm or so and for me personaly I didn't really get any faster on the Ducky. After some time, the rubberdomes of the Logitech felt really wired, as if my fingers adepted to the cherry switches and were now to strong for the rubberdomes. Now, my feeling on the Logitech was as if it is a bit unprecise - but in the past they always had a good feeling.

A second thing was, that the Ducky was a bit too high for me as I was used the ultra thin Logitech. So I got one of these "Grifiti Wrist Pads". I was really scared of how strong the chemical scent was at the beginning but now I can't imagine typing again without it. Now typing is so much more comfortable, espacially the space-bar. I don't hit it anymore on the edge. A spacebar mod wasn't really an option because of the backlight.

I also noticed the infamous "ping" - I might be wrong but with the wristpad I also change my habit in clipping out the feed and I thing that fixed it quite a bit.

And at the beginning I had the same issues with the backlightning-frequency until I found the firmeware update and I also was close to send it back, it really was disappointing and annoying.

What can I say? Is a mechnical keyboard so much better than a rubberdome style keyboad? For me personaly this wasn't the case. But I have to say that I switched from a really quality rubberdome to the Ducky. Compared to a lot of crappy rubberdomes out there, there's not question about it. But I can really understand that there might be people who prefere good rubberdomes/scissor-switches if they are high quality. And yeah, those Topre really might suite some of you (I will not call them real rubberdomes, technical they are something in between, aren't they).

Today a bit has changed here and there. The feeling on my Logitech is now better, I think it's because at some point you don't use as much force on the blues as at the beginning.

I really like my Ducky but that said, I'm not really sure if I would buy it again if you'd ask me today. I don't really need the backlightning. I thought I could run into problems at night because my Logitech had it but after all I touchtype all the time. So I already though about selling the Ducky and buying a keyboad with custom caps instead which I think especially at daylight, would look much more appealing maybe TKL but I'm really not sure about that. But in need of a german layouts that's another story as well.

Offline ADFX_Pixy

Re: Ducky Shine 3 TKL MX-Blue ISO/DE white LED first impressions by a semi-newbie
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 23:40:05 »
The height doesn't allow the rubber feet at the front to touch the ground? Mine does.
CM Storm Quickfire Stealth Cherry MX Brown
Mechanicalkeyboards.com MK 2016 Cherry MX Brown

Offline Joe Kerr

The height doesn't allow the rubber feet at the front to touch the ground? Mine does.

Well, they do both touch in theory. But in practice, my left front foot is like 0,5mm above the ground and so can't touch the table. Seems like a slight imperfection at production.

When the rear extra plastic feet aren't out, all rubberfeet touch the table perfectly normal.

Offline ADFX_Pixy

Well, they do both touch in theory. But in practice, my left front foot is like 0,5mm above the ground and so can't touch the table. Seems like a slight imperfection at production.

When the rear extra plastic feet aren't out, all rubberfeet touch the table perfectly normal.

Did you make sure that the angle of the feet are equal?
CM Storm Quickfire Stealth Cherry MX Brown
Mechanicalkeyboards.com MK 2016 Cherry MX Brown

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
Welcome to Geekhack!

Would it be possible to have the wave function and all LEDs on or is that just the static LED setting?
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)