Author Topic: Do the laws of physics say any 1100+ DPI mouse must be heavy?  (Read 3340 times)

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
Do the laws of physics say any 1100+ DPI mouse must be heavy?
« on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 16:24:27 »
I spent all day yesterday shopping for a mouse.  There are still bajillions of mice I have not looked at yet.

I won't buy any mouse under 1000 DPI.  That is my bare minimum.  I absolutely won't buy any mouse over 100 grams and would prefer it to be more like 72 grams or less.
I just need a 3 button ambidextrous mouse with scroll wheel.  I want low weight and high precision.

I noticed as I was shopping that every single mouse over 1000 DPI was significantly heavier than the cheapo 1000 DPI mice.
Do the laws of physics say that any mouse over 1000 DPI must be 20-50 grams heavier than 1000 DPI mice?

Are precision sensors over 1000 DPI required to be heavier when being manufactured with 21st century Earth-based technology?

Or are the manufacturers loading up the weight on purpose by using more metal, thicker plastic, rubber coatings, more buttons and unnecessary LEDs?
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 August 2014, 16:35:24 by TotalChaos »
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline munch

• !
Re: Do the laws of physics say any 1100+ DPI mouse must be heavy?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 19:02:54 »
Zowie FK (2014 version) is super light at 85g and has 450-1150-2300 DPI steps. really good performance as well.
Zowie FK1 (newest version with 3310 sensor) is 90g and a bit bigger, but with 400-800-1600-3200 DPI steps (I think it was?) and great performance.

Logitech G100s without the weight is something like 70g, extremely light, and 1000DPI. and very cheap ATM. I think its performance is great too.

Offline moonexe

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 05:55:15 »
My guess is that high precision mice are heavier by design... May I ask why you want a light mouse? I personally can't stand them, even for light (no pun intended) use...

G80-3000, MX brown           -           Filco Majestouch 2 HAKUA TKL+TK, MX brown, JIS Layout

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 06:02:27 »
MadCatz RAT Tournament Edition. It's not ambidextrous, but:

8200DPI, new doppler sensor which appears to be very accurate and doesn't have lift-off issues.

90g

:D

I struggled for a long time trying to find a lightweight mouse with decent DPI and bought a RAT 3. Love it.

For ambidextrous, I think munch has covered the best options, with the G100s being the one that appeals to me most (2500DPI, 83g with a 13g weight inside that can be removed for about 70g afterwards, it's build Logitech tough so it'll last and it's very well priced).

Lighter mouse = less mass to accelerate / decelerate = more precision and faster response. Especially for claw grip. Using fingers to maneuvre a heavy mouse around is fatiguing.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 August 2014, 06:05:37 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline RED-404

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 06:41:40 »
Zowie Mico 400/800/1600 68g
Razer Salmosa "Korean version" 1800 52g  US/EU version is bigger & cheaper.
There are many more but all lack a near perfect sensor, but to be honest they are good enough.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 06:53:29 »
I'm using a Zowie FK (see signature for details) and it's pretty lightweight. As munch mentioned in the first reply it has dpi steps over 1000dpi, I'm currently using it on 1150dpi.

There will always be products that suit one's needs but often when searching somehow escape results, it's happened to me more than once when looking specifically for things.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 06:59:49 »
If weight is your primary concern, perhaps the Zowie Mico might be an option for you (68 grams).

If sensor performance is is another concern, then perhaps it would make sense to just go for a Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical (72 grams).

Even small ambidextrous mice are generally over 80 grams.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 August 2014, 07:01:36 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 05:40:32 »
Roccat Savu 90 g, up to 4000 cpi (1600 cpi is still usable)
Zowie FK 85 g, up to 2300 cpi or something
Roccat Lua 70 g, up to 2000 cpi
Zowie MiCO 68 g, up to 1600 cpi
CM Storm Xornet 142 g *including a bulky cable*, up to 2000 cpi
Roccat Pyra ~75 g without batteries, up to 1600 cpi IIRC
Genius Navigator 335 60 g, up to 1600 cpi

...and these were only the mice I own.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 16:39:14 »
If weight is your primary concern, perhaps the Zowie Mico might be an option for you (68 grams).

If sensor performance is is another concern, then perhaps it would make sense to just go for a Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical (72 grams).

To be honest, my concerns are that I want The Ultimate Mouse Of All Time.

I have a severe hand pain problem so I absolutely must put ergonomics first.  So it has to be light and HiRes.  I currently use a 1000 DPI mouse with W7 mouse accel cranked to max (3500 dpi effective) and it would be less painful for me if I had more resolution.

I would love to find the mouse with the easiest to press buttons and easiest to scroll scrollwheel.  My fave mouse died and they don't make it anymore.  It had a fairly easy to roll scrollwheel.  All my current mice scrollwheels are tooooo stiff.  Ouch!

But I donno how to find light, low-force, low-impact mousebuttons with low-force and low impact scrollwheel.

The reason I want less force is because then there will probably be a softer impact.  Every single impact on a mouse or keyboard contributes directly to Tendonitis, RSI, CTS, RSD, CRPS and other forms of nerve damage.  The less impacts a person subjects their hands to, the longer the hands last before they wear out.

I am ambidextrous so I hafta have an ambidextrous mouse.  Sometimes I use right hand, sometimes left and sometimes both.

I will probably buy every single mouse that you guys have kindly recommended to me in this thread to try them out unless I read somewhere that one of them has a horrible scrollwheel or extra stiff buttons.

I loved your super awesome Mice Review Thread!  But I don't remember weights being listed :(   I would love to get a mouse with the Ultimate Sensor  and pay extra for a perfectly accurate sensor.  But my mouse has to have Ergonomicity first  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 August 2014, 16:41:51 by TotalChaos »
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 21:47:47 »
I can't seem to find this one on Amazon or NewEgg.  Did you perhaps mean the Genius Navigator 320?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 16:10:48 »
I can't seem to find this one on Amazon or NewEgg.  Did you perhaps mean the Genius Navigator 320?
I meant the Genius Navigator 335 that I have lying on a shelf right behind me. It's a cheap ambidextrous mouse with a carbon-fiber cover and an 800-/1600cpi laser sensor.

The reason I want less force is because then there will probably be a softer impact.  Every single impact on a mouse or keyboard contributes directly to Tendonitis, RSI, CTS, RSD, CRPS and other forms of nerve damage.  The less impacts a person subjects their hands to, the longer the hands last before they wear out.
Or maybe the causes of RSI are psychosomatic in the first place, and you're a hypochondriac.
Or maybe you should simply stop using computers, if the cause you so many issues.
Or maybe you wouldn't have such issues, if you had a healthier life style and *muscles*.
Or maybe you should seek medical help and use input technology for disabled users, such as eye tracking.
Or maybe thou shall not troll.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 19:32:48 »
LCARS or gtfo