Author Topic: Topre Realforce Anniversay Edition 55g.....  (Read 17454 times)

Offline chiefgrillz

Re: Topre Realforce Anniversay Edition 55g.....
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 17:05:10 »
]all sold out :/

All sold to Mr. Widebasket...

He's now selling heaps of coloured Filco's, Leopold FC750R's and some Variable 10th Anniversaries.  The guy is a true champ when it comes to supplying the REAL gear for keyboard enthusiasts worldwide  :thumb: .

Just love for once using Ebay to buy stuff NOT available from Brian (he will NEVER have these to sell), just too beautiful to experience  ;D .

I messaged him on eBay yesterday asking if he had any other 10 AE models.. He said he had a few low noise variables and would put them up. I really want a 45g uniform but he doesn't have any (actually I don't think they ever produced 45g AE)

I'm agonizing over which one to get now :( Is there much difference in feel between 45/55? My fingers already feel tired after coding all day on a 45..

Offline cphead

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 17:06:47 »
]all sold out :/

All sold to Mr. Widebasket...

He's now selling heaps of coloured Filco's, Leopold FC750R's and some Variable 10th Anniversaries.  The guy is a true champ when it comes to supplying the REAL gear for keyboard enthusiasts worldwide  :thumb: .

Just love for once using Ebay to buy stuff NOT available from Brian (he will NEVER have these to sell), just too beautiful to experience  ;D .

I messaged him on eBay yesterday asking if he had any other 10 AE models.. He said he had a few low noise variables and would put them up. I really want a 45g uniform but he doesn't have any (actually I don't think they ever produced 45g AE)

I'm agonizing over which one to get now :( Is there much difference in feel between 45/55? My fingers already feel tired after coding all day on a 45..
Heh don't jump on the 55g hype train if you get tired by 45g...

Offline chiefgrillz

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 17:50:59 »
Heh don't jump on the 55g hype train if you get tired by 45g...

is it a lot heavier though? i think i prefer 45g to variable even though it is a bit tiring. urgh too hard to decide

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 22:29:26 »
too hard to decide
Ah, the Classic GH dilemma.

The solution, of course, is to get both.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 20:48:35 »
too hard to decide

Listen to dorkvader, he knows the Catch-22 situation  8) .

Offline chiefgrillz

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 23:44:44 »
too hard to decide

i'm cool with wasting money but 2x $400 boards with slightly different key weights is pushing it ...

i think the ultimate solution is to buy the variable silenced, then swap the internals with a 45g board

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 10:18:00 »
too hard to decide

i'm cool with wasting money but 2x $400 boards with slightly different key weights is pushing it ...

i think the ultimate solution is to buy the variable silenced, then swap the internals with a 45g board
The real ultimate solution is what you said plus get the 10th ed, make your own 45g silenced Anniversary Edition sell the rest. 

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 10:28:59 »
by is definitely NOT A MEMBRANE keyboard

It actually is a membrane....over electrostatic capacitive, non-contacting switches. :D

Grats on the new board!

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 15:39:34 »
by is definitely NOT A MEMBRANE keyboard

It actually is a membrane....over electrostatic capacitive, non-contacting switches. :D

Grats on the new board!

I don't think the sheet of rubber domes is thin enough to count as a membrane, like what the model M has.

It is certainly a rubber dome though.

Offline chiefgrillz

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 18:31:29 »
is there any difference on the AE model apart from keycaps / red LED?

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 18:32:23 »

Nope.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 20:11:14 »
I don't think the sheet of rubber domes is thin enough to count as a membrane, like what the model M has.

It is certainly a rubber dome though.

Just comparing it to other standard "rubber domes" which if you've used them will know, that a 55g Realforce is definitely far different in feel to a standard membrane keyboard.

Also with Realforce keyboards there is absolutely 'NO wobble' with the key actuation compared to Cherry's, Model M/F's and Alps switches.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 20:16:40 »

Nope.

Trick is finding the exact same coloured key-set which was ONLY produced (many other companies have tried but failed completely in trying to copy this) for the 10th Anniversary, which happens to be the sexiest colour-way ever devised for any keyboard.

The good thing about this keyboard is that you don't need to do anything else but enjoy the typing experience because you won't ever need to change anything on this keyboard when you get it.  It's absolutely perfect beyond words  8) .
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 August 2014, 20:18:39 by Elrick »

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 20:21:39 »

Nope.

Trick is finding the exact same coloured key-set which was ONLY produced for the 10th Anniversary, which happens to be the sexiest colour-way ever devised for any keyboard.

The good thing about this keyboard is that you don't need to do anything else but enjoy the typing experience because you won't ever need to change anything on this keyboard when you get it.  It's absolutely perfect beyond words  8) .

Definitely, I'm currently considering a Viper and I'm just realizing the hassle of sourcing all the switches & stabs, finding a keycap set that is compatible with the layout and looks good, etc etc

I love the simplicity of Topre, the whole board is ready to go right out of the box with everything I could ever want. I like variety but Topre will always be my favorite.

Offline chiefgrillz

« Reply #64 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 22:13:53 »
Just comparing it to other standard "rubber domes" which if you've used them will know, that a 55g Realforce is definitely far different in feel to a standard membrane keyboard.
Also with Realforce keyboards there is absolutely 'NO wobble' with the key actuation compared to Cherry's, Model M/F's and Alps switches.

this is just arguing about classification. deskthority wiki covers it well: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Rubber_dome
Domes with sliders
    Similar to a microswitch mechanical, each switch contains its own slider that presses on the dome, onto which the keycap is mounted; on some keyboards the slider has a standard Cherry MX mount or Alps mount interface and the board will accept keycaps from mechanical keyboards and donate keycaps for mechanical boards. Dome switches with sliders are now uncommon, but this is the form taken by Topre switches

topre switches do have rubber domes in them. if you dont believe it open it up and have a look.

doesnt change the fact they're the best switches out there though :)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 22:35:24 »
I love the simplicity of Topre, the whole board is ready to go right out of the box with everything I could ever want. I like variety but Topre will always be my favorite.

I had developed a monumental HATE towards anyone who uses 'thorpie' keyboards but I was deluding myself to the extreme.  It helped me to pour money into buying plenty of MX key-caps for lots of other keyboards.

Now I've returned home, to my most abused keyboard in which it didn't deserve my rudeness and cruel ignorance, I too am a Thorpie Lover.  YES I have to admit to falling in love with this type of keyboard yet again.  The more I use it the more it dethrone's the humble Cherry to the back bleachers.  I can't stop using this keyboard, no matter how I try to summon my old hatred towards it which now seems quite illogical and childish.

The 55g Anniversary is the one that will go to my grave with, still clutching it with my dead arms, close to my chest  :thumb: .
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 August 2014, 22:37:38 by Elrick »

Offline Belfong

« Reply #66 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 23:00:26 »
Aw **** Elrick! And I was led into believing GMK Dolch is the ****. Should have stick to my RF and save me money, why you!! :)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 23:25:09 »
Aw **** Elrick! And I was led into believing GMK Dolch is the ****. Should have stick to my RF and save me money, why you!! :)

Hey, I still love anything to do with GMK especially the "Dolch" because it is the quintessential Cherry key-cap set.  When you buy any GMK key-set it goes directly onto your GON and Kmac keyboards.

I'm so in love with my current 10th Anni keyboard that she has really gotten her nails deeps into me.  Who knows what will be my next 'best' keyboard in the coming weeks  ::) .

Offline Mack2450

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 23:55:31 »
We may have to get a restraining order against poor Elrick.  Or at least get him a room for an hour or so.

I'm really liking my new 10th, but I'm beginning to be a little worried for him.

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 00:01:59 »
Do either of you guys know if the HHKB caps fit on a standard RF switch?

And FWIW: the fiasco with the Novatouch and you two in this thread have me '' this close to picking up one of the three remaining 10th AE 55gs. My wallet thanks the two of you very much.

Cheers,

K

Topre REALFORCE

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 00:25:02 »
Trick is finding the exact same coloured key-set which was ONLY produced (many other companies have tried but failed completely in trying to copy this) for the 10th Anniversary, which happens to be the sexiest colour-way ever devised for any keyboard.

They produced 10'th AVs with the blue/ grey colour combo or all grey. The all grey one looks really nice, but they made it again with the HiPRO. I think the 30-g uniform (which might have been the only ANSI 30g uniform they made) was only all grey.

Do either of you guys know if the HHKB caps fit on a standard RF switch?

And FWIW: the fiasco with the Novatouch and you two in this thread have me '' this close to picking up one of the three remaining 10th AE 55gs. My wallet thanks the two of you very much.

Cheers,

K

Of course not all the mods and there's not enough keys, but the alphas should work just fine.

Offline cphead

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 00:39:06 »
Oh man this colorway ... but that pricetag  :eek:

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 04:34:59 »

I had developed a monumental HATE towards anyone who uses 'thorpie' keyboards but I was deluding myself to the extreme.  It helped me to pour money into buying plenty of MX key-caps for lots of other keyboards.

Now I've returned home, to my most abused keyboard in which it didn't deserve my rudeness and cruel ignorance, I too am a Thorpie Lover.  YES I have to admit to falling in love with this type of keyboard yet again.  The more I use it the more it dethrone's the humble Cherry to the back bleachers.  I can't stop using this keyboard, no matter how I try to summon my old hatred towards it which now seems quite illogical and childish.

The 55g Anniversary is the one that will go to my grave with, still clutching it with my dead arms, close to my chest  :thumb: .
So Topre aficionado's another convert that finally seen the light!!

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 21:57:59 »
Oh man this colorway ... but that pricetag  :o

I know the price tage isn't cheap like in the typical Logitech style of pricing.  Also consider the pricing of a Kmac TKL (Sherryton) which is around $410 for the kit only.  Add the cost of switches and stabs and it goes easily to over $500.  Then you need a set of key-caps for that Kmac so a further $100 for that desirable key-set puts that completed keyboard, ready for use at around $600USD.

An upper end Cherry Keyboard can be more expensive than a Realforce, quite easily.  Although if I was spending over $400 for a Cherry Keyboard I still prefer a GON because it's made for you from scratch with almost any type of switch preference you desire.  Plus you get that special GON guarantee of perfection because he makes sure it's done to your personnel taste  :thumb: .

Offline cphead

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 22:03:32 »
Oh man this colorway ... but that pricetag  :o

I know the price tage isn't cheap like in the typical Logitech style of pricing.  Also consider the pricing of a Kmac TKL (Sherryton) which is around $410 for the kit only.  Add the cost of switches and stabs and it goes easily to over $500.  Then you need a set of key-caps for that Kmac so a further $100 for that desirable key-set puts that completed keyboard, ready for use at around $600USD.

An upper end Cherry Keyboard can be more expensive than a Realforce, quite easily.  Although if I was spending over $400 for a Cherry Keyboard I still prefer a GON because it's made for you from scratch with almost any type of switch preference you desire.  Plus you get that special GON guarantee of perfection because he makes sure it's done to your personnel taste  :thumb: .
Please. No more. Or I will find 400 mysteriously missing from my bank account...

Offline Mack2450

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 01:01:13 »
What price, happiness?

Elrick is right of course; boards discussed around here can go for hundreds more.  My goal was to try two things: PBT caps and Topre switches.  I knew that that would be $200.  Then for some colored caps, you're looking at another $100-150.  For a few bucks more you're holding a really nice looking, exceptionally functional, collector's item.  It was a lot, but I found something I'm pretty happy with.  It makes me smile when I switch on the PC.  Go higher in price and you're in the bespoke range, and you really should know precisely what you want before you pay those prices.  I'm nowhere near that yet.

Offline chiefgrillz

« Reply #76 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 06:26:00 »
I caved today.. and there's an AE sized holed in my bank account

i think AE/silent/45g is my ultimate board, but i'd like to quiet down the stabilisers and space bar. going to have to do some research on that, but anyone know of some high viscosity grease that is safe to use? Getting from EK is literally $5 in grease and $65 in shipping!

Offline cphead

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 06:36:15 »
People who already have them need to post some pics/videos ... ;)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 07:44:23 »
I caved today.. and there's an AE sized holed in my bank account

i think AE/silent/45g is my ultimate board, but i'd like to quiet down the stabilisers and space bar. going to have to do some research on that, but anyone know of some high viscosity grease that is safe to use? Getting from EK is literally $5 in grease and $65 in shipping!

You won't need any grease at all for your new keyboard.  I am happily typing away on my 55g and there is no extraordinary sounds or rubbing involved when the keys are pressed all the way down.  The stabilizers in the Realforce is so quiet you won't even know they're there.

I would only apply a grease like substance on Cherry or Alps keyboards ONLY  :thumb: .

PLEASE don't waste your money at EK try Ebay, they sell just about anything related to Lithium & PTFE Lube that can be safely used on all plastics.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 07:47:07 »
What price, happiness?

It makes me smile when I switch on the PC.

This quote above is absolutely TRUE  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: .

Offline chiefgrillz

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 08:41:33 »
You won't need any grease at all for your new keyboard.  I am happily typing away on my 55g and there is no extraordinary sounds or rubbing involved when the keys are pressed all the way down.  The stabilizers in the Realforce is so quiet you won't even know they're there.
I would only apply a grease like substance on Cherry or Alps keyboards ONLY  :thumb: .
PLEASE don't waste your money at EK try Ebay, they sell just about anything related to Lithium & PTFE Lube that can be safely used on all plastics.

hmm i have 3 87u's here already and the tightness of the spacebar varies between them. hopefully the new one is like yours and not like this: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37722.0. none of my boards are that bad, the worst one just has that tapping issue on one side. it would be nice to fix it up one day

thanks for the tips re lube

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 11:57:53 »
You guys want pictures? Is that what you want?!

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 11:58:56 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I'm totally jelly and I hate you :<
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 12:01:53 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

God what I wouldnt give to have an extra $400 right now ...

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 12:28:14 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Very Nice, one that looks as good as feels. The 55g RF is one of my favorite feeling Topre TKL.

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 12:43:58 »

That's pretty. :)

Nope.

So the case is just black like the regular black RFs?
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 13:42:14 »
Thanks everyone this keyboard seriously makes me so effin happy :] If you have any questions lmk!

Here's a comparison picture courtesy of DT user 002

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 13:54:03 »
Thanks everyone this keyboard seriously makes me so effin happy :] If you have any questions lmk!

Here's a comparison picture courtesy of DT user 002
Show Image

Hmm,  so there's a very slight difference in case color. I didn't know that.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Hnnnng that's so sexy. Very jealous.

Looks like the listing for the 55g one got taken down, even though there were still 3 available?

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 14:39:36 »
Yeah, not really sure what's up with that, maybe he had some local buyers?

Offline chiefgrillz

« Reply #89 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 06:16:54 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

daaaammmn that is nice !!

i wasnt aware of the difference in case colour either.. nice surprise

btw widebasket has another 55g up on ebay. the old one probably just expired

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 07:07:45 »
Looks like he relisted more for sale (5)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281412482264

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 07:25:49 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Looks great man, I want those caps so bad  :p Enjoy!  :thumb:

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #92 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 12:25:05 »
I have the 89s in 30g, part of the 10AE as well.
Beautiful keyboard!

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #93 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 11:32:31 »
Looks like he relisted more for sale (5)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281412482264

Variable weight too. What do you guys like or hate about the variable weight Realforce?

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #94 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 14:00:43 »
Variable weight too. What do you guys like or hate about the variable weight Realforce?

I have both a variable and uniform 87U. They're both great boards for general use. If all you're going to be doing is typing, then the variable is what you'll want. If gaming is at all a consideration, get the uniform because the lighter switches on the outer keys can lead to a greater risk of accidental key presses.

As more general observations, I wish you could get a backlit Topre board of any kind, but that's not going to happen. Also, the 87U has an issue when used on a Mac where you can use a key press to wake the computer from sleep, but then the whole keyboard goes dead, requiring you to unplug and replug it. The workaround is to use a mouse to wake up the system. It's a bit of an inconvenience that seems like it could be resolved with a firmware update, but none have been released, at least not to anyone's knowledge. There's also no way to contact Leopold (the manufacturer) unless you know Korean. I've sent a question to Elitekeyboards.com's support to see if they can offer any insight but have yet to hear back.

In the end, though, the drawbacks are pretty minor compared to the joy of typing on these outstanding keyboards.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #95 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 19:13:54 »

I have both a variable and uniform 87U. They're both great boards for general use. If all you're going to be doing is typing, then the variable is what you'll want. If gaming is at all a consideration, get the uniform because the lighter switches on the outer keys can lead to a greater risk of accidental key presses.

For extra long typing sessions I prefer the Variable model.  The current all 55g is strictly for here on Geekhack forums only, so she takes pride of place at her own computer in another room of the house.

In all honesty no matter the key weights used in all these Realforce keyboards, it's simply a delight to type on them when you establish a rhythm when inputting reams of data with these babies  :thumb: .

Offline chiefgrillz

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 21:43:19 »
So I received my AE yesterday. Pretty fast, only put the order in on thursday.

The colourway on this board lives up to the hype :thumb: hard to capture it in photos but it's really nice. It's the first time I've tried a low noise model, and it makes it a lot quieter. Overall I like it - but the larger stabilised keys (particularly shifts) are louder than the others

For fun I made a "fake" AE with a black realforce and sky blue blue keys. You can see the colour of the blue AE keys is quite a lot different than the topre sky blue key set. The AE case is noticably different too

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #97 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 05:52:23 »
For fun I made a "fake" AE with a black realforce and sky blue blue keys. You can see the colour of the blue AE keys is quite a lot different than the topre sky blue key set. The AE case is noticably different too

Always go for the REAL thing when it comes to this baby  8) .  Trust me you'll know what supremacy means when you get this keyboard, which will make any current HHKB owner stream tears of defeat, when they realized how much money they wasted on their first purchase  ;D .

Better get the REAL Topre keyboard for now because everything else is a lame copy not worth considering.......

Offline Mack2450

« Reply #98 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 19:57:48 »
Lo! Brother Elrick speaketh Truth!

Grillz, your pics are pretty accurate, conveying the subdued and warm colors of the Topre.  I'm loving mine.