Author Topic: Realforce 87UB/55g--Lesson Learned.  (Read 12016 times)

Offline aref

Realforce 87UB/55g--Lesson Learned.
« on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 13:20:33 »
After selling my 87UB/55g keyboards, I began to miss that Topre feel. Sure, if I type for hours on it, my fingers begin to feel the strain. But the hours I spent using it were gratifying. So I tried other key switches, ended with MX Reds, a mega-departure from 55g Topres. I like the Reds, but I miss my 55g Topres. So, for yet another time, I ordered an 87UB/55g; but this time, it's coming home to stay.

If my digits tire after a couple or more hours, I'll switch to my MX Red keyboard; but I'll have an 87UB/55g at the ready. Damn, it's a keyboard that spoil one's sense of touch and aural pleasure. The MX Red Corsair K65 is a good KB, so I feel. I like Cherry's linear switch. I could have gone to a KUL in MX Black, but the missed feel of a 55g Topre board just hangs on. I'll have a comfortable linear switch for when 'me' hands feel the strain of hours with the 55g switch; and smooth operation of Cherry's lightest linear switch. I tried an 87U with 45g switches, but it was too light for me, a much different feel from Cherry's 45g MX Red; and a world apart from a 55g Topre in an 87U body. So, next week will be a Realforce revelation--welcome home, 55-gram/87UB; and thank you, EK.

Now, for accessory key caps... a 87UB owner's quest.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Realforce 87UB/55g--Lesson Learned.
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 13:21:53 »
Did you ever try clears?

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 13:32:51 »
Idk if you want printed or blank RF keysets, but here's a lot of printed ones: http://www.ebay.com/sch/widebasket/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 13:34:31 »
Did you ever try clears?

I remember when I first joined we spoke about clears.  Really hope you got to try them out.  I agree that I LOVE Topre for short duration typing.  For longer periods I enjoy linear mx or modded clears more.

You should also try Dental Banding your Realforce.  Probably the reason I actually still use Topre :)

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline aref

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 13:37:56 »
Tried them, Clears, that is. Nice switch, but not to replace 55g Topres. I had a WASD with Clear switches for one day only; it was a loaner from a family member.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 13:43:32 »
I'd really suggest trying lubed 62g clears with oiled springs. I think they are switches which complement topre nicely.

Offline aref

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 13:55:08 »
Did you ever try clears?

I remember when I first joined we spoke about clears.  Really hope you got to try them out.  I agree that I LOVE Topre for short duration typing.  For longer periods I enjoy linear mx or modded clears more.

You should also try Dental Banding your Realforce.  Probably the reason I actually still use Topre :)

I remember us talking. This keyboard thing is gotten to the point where I finally know what I like; but it's taken a lot of re$earch to get her. I'm excited to be reunited with an 87UB. It can't get her soon enough.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 13:56:52 »
I'd really suggest trying lubed 62g clears with oiled springs. I think they are switches which complement topre nicely.

Clears are the MX equivalent of topre. The same wonderful tactility you get on 55g.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 13:59:54 »

Clears are the MX equivalent of topre. The same wonderful tactility you get on 55g.

Aw yes clears are my love <3

I am back to topre as well. Enjoy both switch types dude!

Offline aref

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 14:02:13 »

^ Sounds like an interesting project. I'd like to see how the Clears feel with 62g, I assume Korea-made, springs. Honestly, I'm a much older guy who's at the point in life where he'd rather buy a ready made before doing mods. If I were a lot younger, I'd be game for getting more mod involved.

Offline Defect

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 14:14:23 »

^ Sounds like an interesting project. I'd like to see how the Clears feel with 62g, I assume Korea-made, springs. Honestly, I'm a much older guy who's at the point in life where he'd rather buy a ready made before doing mods. If I were a lot younger, I'd be game for getting more mod involved.

If you get THAT curious about 62g clears I'd be happy to mod a board for you.  Would only ask for cost of materials + shipping.

Offline aref

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 14:20:23 »

If you get THAT curious about 62g clears I'd be happy to mod a board for you.  Would only ask for cost of materials + shipping.

This is an offer of of kindness. Thank you for being so considerate. I have to ask, do you buy the switches and change the springs; and if so, this can be done on, say a keyboard with a different MX switch? I am curious about the procedure.

Offline Defect

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 15:21:40 »
PM'd you to keep from derailing this thread.  But also posting short answer here for lurkers:

I desolder original switches (if we're doing a swap and not a kit), remove them, open up a new bag of MX Clears (worn/old clears are better but...i don't offer that service), swap the old spring with a new lubed 62g spring, lube the clear stem, reassemble and resolder.

Couple of my modding albums:
http://imgur.com/a/9ZBkT
http://imgur.com/a/O3w39
http://imgur.com/a/he7jS

Offline aref

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 16:21:19 »
I received your PM. Your work is incredible. Please don't be concerned about derailing this thread. Your input is helpful to me and others, I'm sure. Not everyone on GH is as savvy as you and some others on this site. So when you and guys like you contribute to a thread, it's welcomed information. And if the thread gets derailed, it's fine with me.

Offline aref

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 18:01:52 »
Idk if you want printed or blank RF keysets, but here's a lot of printed ones: http://www.ebay.com/sch/widebasket/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Thanks for the link! I may be getting a set of white key caps; or should I just get another 87UW for ~$35 to $65 more? Caution--dilemma ahead.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 August 2014, 18:04:58 by aref »

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 18:04:34 »
HHKB and never go back.

Offline aref

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 18:06:17 »
I've yet to try an HHKB. I use my cursor keys so often, that I feel the Fn layer might not be efficient for me. But I've no practical experience on an HHKB.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 August 2014, 18:24:08 by aref »

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 18:26:16 »
I've yet to try an HHKB. I use my cursor keys so often, that I feel the Fn layer might not be efficient for me. But I've no practical experience on an HHKB.
I have been really tempted to pick up a 55g 87U lately...must resist  ;D

I find that the arrow keys are awkward when I want to use mouse and arrow keys at same time (so right hand on mouse, left hand trying to do arrow keys). For everything else it is no problem.
RETIRED

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 18:33:07 »
Well if you get tired typing on 55g Topres, and if you like MX reds and you like Topre, you might want to try the Topre ergo variable version of Realforce.  The 30g pinky keys are extremely light but about the same as reds.  And your hands will feel much better than with any kind of MX.  For volume typing the ergo variable Realforce is the only way to go.  You can also try the 45g Topre switches as well.  I really like 45's.  I dunno what all the hype is about the 55's, why do extra work?  Why not make life easier, instead of harder?  I guess I'm just some kind of non-masochistic weirdo. 

P.S. Getting RSI/carpal tunnel syndrome before you're 30 is not a badge of honor or sign of manliness.  But that's just my opinion.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 18:39:59 »

I have found that once you get accustomed -- which can take some time -- it is just as efficient, if not more efficient, for word processing. For spreadsheet work, I do think it falls short.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline aref

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 18:41:26 »
Well if you get tired typing on 55g Topres, and if you like MX reds and you like Topre, you might want to try the Topre ergo variable version of Realforce.  The 30g pinky keys are extremely light but about the same as reds.  And your hands will feel much better than with any kind of MX.  For volume typing the ergo variable Realforce is the only way to go.  You can also try the 45g Topre switches as well.  I really like 45's.  I dunno what all the hype is about the 55's, why do extra work?  Why not make life easier, instead of harder?  I guess I'm just some kind of non-masochistic weirdo. 

P.S. Getting RSI/carpal tunnel syndrome before you're 30 is not a badge of honor or sign of manliness.  But that's just my opinion.

I tried 45-gram Topre switches, they were too light, kind of peculiar feeling compared with 55g Topres, at least for me.

Already had carpal tunnel; and the surgery to remedy it--it worked. CTS became evident from road biking. Riding the drops of the bars was a killer. I found 30-gram Topres are way too light for me when I felt a 87UW variable KB. For me, MX Red is the nicest feeling lighter, required-down-force key switch. Opinions vary and each of us has our preferences. Thanks for the information and suggestions.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 18:43:19 »
Might be a bit too obvious to suggest, but have you tried the all-45g topre 87U?

I know the feel between the 55g and 45g is different, but if the stiffness is the only thing that bothers you, then it makes sense to go for something that has a very similar feel but is a little lighter. Unfortunately, I have never had the opportunity to try 55g, but I know I really like 45g.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline aref

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 18:45:05 »

I have found that once you get accustomed -- which can take some time -- it is just as efficient, if not more efficient, for word processing. For spreadsheet work, I do think it falls short.

I use my keyboards for writing only.  I use my K65 for general online research. It has a volume control for music and youtube looks. In theory, I have a tough time getting past the lack of the Fn-layer cursor controls. I'm sure the other key-placement differences could be easily overcome in time.

Offline aref

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 18:47:44 »
Might be a bit too obvious to suggest, but have you tried the all-45g topre 87U?

I know the feel between the 55g and 45g is different, but if the stiffness is the only thing that bothers you, then it makes sense to go for something that has a very similar feel but is a little lighter. Unfortunately, I have never had the opportunity to try 55g, but I know I really like 45g.

Yes, I had a couple 45g 87U KBs; but the 45g felt too light for me. Topre 45g switches have a different feel compared to their 55g switch; and Cherry's 45g MX Red feels a lot different from the 45g Topre. As much as I like the 55g, I prefer Cherry's 45g linear to Topre's 45g tactile switch. Hey! It's really late in the Netherlands! I know you guys didn't win the World Cup, but you put up one hell of fight. Germany had a really well-coordinated futbol team. They played such an organized game on offense and defense.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 August 2014, 18:51:22 by aref »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 19:00:02 »
I'm not sure what's going on, but unfortunately my Code w/ clears is the only board these days that doesn't make my hands hurt :(

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 19:47:47 »
I'm not sure what's going on, but unfortunately my Code w/ clears is the only board these days that doesn't make my hands hurt :(
I'm so sorry to hear that, Daerid :(  You were the one who inspired me to buy my first 87u 55g.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline aref

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 19:47:53 »

It's good that you found a board that works so comfortably for you. The WASD/Clear I tried didn't feel that good to me. But it was only a week old. From what I've gathered, Clears become smoother with use. Perhaps this is what's working so well for you. I find if I'm smart about not overdoing the time I put in on a heavier key switch, I should be okay with the heavier feel. Perhaps a break from you heavier keyboards will enable you to get back to them. I see a 55g/87UW in the mix. Hang on to that bad boy--don't be foolish and sell it, like I did.

Offline aref

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 19:50:11 »
I'm so sorry to hear that, Daerid :(  You were the one who inspired me to buy my first 87u 55g.

Hey, Flyers Fan. It's been a while, brother.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 19:51:59 »

Hey Aref!!! It certainly has been, so glad to see you caught the topee fever again! I hope you have a good go around with the 87u again, it will be a great complimentary keyboard to your k65.  :thumb:
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline aref

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 19:55:43 »

Hey Aref!!! It certainly has been, so glad to see you caught the topee fever again! I hope you have a good go around with the 87u again, it will be a great complimentary keyboard to your k65.  :thumb:

I think it will complement the K65: one soft, one not-so-soft; a healthy Yin-Yang for an ole guy like me.

Offline aref

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 11:43:40 »
'It' has arrived. My Realforce 87UB is here;
the 55-gram switches feel fantastic; and 
the aural feedback... ah, the 'thock' is back.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 11:55:03 »
'It' has arrived. My Realforce 87UB is here;
the 55-gram switches feel fantastic; and 
the aural feedback... ah, the 'thock' is back.

Thock so nice it sometimes makes me take off my (closed) headphones just to listen to it while I type  ;D

I understand that Topre is not for everyone. But I find it hard to imagine many people disagreeing that the sound it makes is quite satisfying. And it is very convenient that it manages to do so without making too much noise.

Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline jameslr

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 12:07:47 »
Welcome back to the family! I can't imagine not having my RF87U 55g.
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline aref

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 18:17:37 »

Thanks. It's great to be back. The keyboard feels fantastic. I had forgotten
just how good these key switches feel. My digits are doing a 'happy dance'.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 05:28:24 »

Thanks. It's great to be back. The keyboard feels fantastic. I had forgotten
just how good these key switches feel. My digits are doing a 'happy dance'.

Congratulations to you and your digits :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline aref

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 20:00:44 »

Congratulations to you and your digits :)
[/quote]

I am into this keyboard. It is ever so sweet.

Offline aref

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 20:36:25 »
Two weeks hence with the 87UB/55g, and it continues to deliver exceptional feel with zero finger fatigue.
Thinking about getting one? As Nike, the Geek goddess of keyboards says, "Just do it!"

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 20:39:06 »
There are strong opinions both ways with Topre, but more people seem to really like Topre keyboards :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 21:07:53 »
After selling my 87UB/55g keyboards, I began to miss that Topre feel. Sure, if I type for hours on it, my fingers begin to feel the strain. But the hours I spent using it were gratifying. So I tried other key switches, ended with MX Reds, a mega-departure from 55g Topres. I like the Reds, but I miss my 55g Topres. So, for yet another time, I ordered an 87UB/55g; but this time, it's coming home to stay.

If my digits tire after a couple or more hours, I'll switch to my MX Red keyboard; but I'll have an 87UB/55g at the ready. Damn, it's a keyboard that spoil one's sense of touch and aural pleasure. The MX Red Corsair K65 is a good KB, so I feel. I like Cherry's linear switch. I could have gone to a KUL in MX Black, but the missed feel of a 55g Topre board just hangs on. I'll have a comfortable linear switch for when 'me' hands feel the strain of hours with the 55g switch; and smooth operation of Cherry's lightest linear switch. I tried an 87U with 45g switches, but it was too light for me, a much different feel from Cherry's 45g MX Red; and a world apart from a 55g Topre in an 87U body. So, next week will be a Realforce revelation--welcome home, 55-gram/87UB; and thank you, EK.

I missed my HHKB the moment I went ahead and sold it to be honest. Wish I didn't, it was the perfect typing machine, pity I couldn't game properly on it though :(
你搞砸了

Offline aref

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 21:09:51 »
An opinion is valid only to the person giving it, myself included. I love this 87UB/55g; for me, it works on
all fronts: feel, form, function. Yes, this is not to say that it's 'the' keyboard for everyone; but it is for me.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Offline aref

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 21:12:29 »

I missed my HHKB the moment I went ahead and sold it to be honest. Wish I didn't, it was the perfect typing machine, pity I couldn't game properly on it though :(

I understand. I use my Realforce for typing only; and it is a typing  m a c h i n e.  I use my MX Red keyboard for 'things' other than typing.
I have a friend with an HHKB who wouldn't part with it for any other keyboard. He writes code and swears it's the best keyboard for writing code.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 September 2014, 21:14:04 by aref »

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 09:52:15 »
Damn, now I really want a 55g topre. I just bought a new keyboard   :confused:. Well, as they say, #WalletHack.

Offline Altis

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 11:17:34 »
Thinking about getting one? As Nike, the Geek goddess of keyboards says, "Just do it!"

Done! Looking forward to trying it out. We'll see how this affects the saga of finding that unicorn keyboard....

I suspect it will be great, but I still have lots of modding and custom work to do to my other boards still.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline aref

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 11:53:21 »

Done! Looking forward to trying it out. We'll see how this affects the saga of finding that unicorn keyboard....

I suspect it will be great, but I still have lots of modding and custom work to do to my other boards still.

Good for you. It really is the only way to know. The 87U/55g put an end to my doing light mods on keyboards. With this Realforce, no need for me to go anywhere else. The placement of the key switches, the heavier Topres, and the profile of the key caps make for perfect key strikes and I never have accidental key strikes; my fingertips manage to find center on each key cap. I make some typing (operator) errors, but no accidental key strikes. My normal WPM is around 80 to 85--I cannot compete with many of GH's 100+ WPM typists.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 13:53:59 »
I have a topre 30g (89s) and the MX red or browns just don't compare at all.
I'll be getting clear switches and modding then with lighter springs to see how they do. I already bought a switch tester and swapped the MX red spring with the MX clear spring and the clears were fairly enjoyable. I'm a light typist if you didn't realize by now xD

Offline Altis

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 15:51:18 »
I'll be getting clear switches and modding then with lighter springs to see how they do. I already bought a switch tester and swapped the MX red spring with the MX clear spring and the clears were fairly enjoyable. I'm a light typist if you didn't realize by now xD

I generally am a light typer over extended periods. If I really like Topre but find it a bit too heavy, I'll try for an FC660C. Ergo clears are also said to be nice.. let us know how that goes.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 09:06:01 »

I generally am a light typer over extended periods. If I really like Topre but find it a bit too heavy, I'll try for an FC660C. Ergo clears are also said to be nice.. let us know how that goes.

The 30g topre is the equivalent of what, a 38g cherry mx spring (in relative terms)?
It's lighter than an mx red. I got a switch tester and swapped the mx red and clear springs and the mx clears are interesting! Though with the mx red they really dipped in resistance after the actuation point, much like topre. I bought a custom JD40 off tj here with mx clear and springs should be coming in a month or so =) (My classmates disagreed with me using the mx blues)

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 09:39:34 »
Thanks for sharing your lesson.

Yesterday I was able to try the CM Novatouch (with hybrid 45g Topre switches that have Cherry mx-compatible stems), and I posted a review over on DT:

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/cm-novatouch-review-t8687.html

Although it is nice to be able to put Cherry caps on a Topre-switch board, I prefer the appearance, sound, and feel of my RF 87u black with 55g Topre switches (I have swapped out the black alpha and numerical keycaps with lettered white keycaps from a HHKB Pro 2). To me, the Novatouch doesn't quite feel like a Topre-switch board.

Although I really like my RF 87u 55g, I like my HHKB Pro 2 even more. If I could change my HHKB Pro 2, I might want to have Type-S switches (which is possible, for a substantial increase in price) in a black case (possible with a bit of effort) 55g weight (possible with a dome swap) and perhaps a steel plate (not feasible at present). As it stands, my HHKB Pro 2 wins overall because of its 60% form factor, symmetrical design, and efficient layout.

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 02:11:30 »

Yesterday I was able to try the CM Novatouch (with hybrid 45g Topre switches that have Cherry mx-compatible stems), and I posted a review over on DT:

Very nice review...thanks for that. I've been wondering how the MX compatible Topre switches would pan out on this upcoming board. But, like you, I think I'll stay with my RFs and HHKB. After all, I don't know how I could improve on what I've got.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 06:23:13 »

Very nice review...thanks for that. I've been wondering how the MX compatible Topre switches would pan out on this upcoming board. But, like you, I think I'll stay with my RFs and HHKB. After all, I don't know how I could improve on what I've got.

Good way to think to save money!
If the audiophile world taught me anything, those $500 headphones become average when you start regularly using $2000 headphones. Your best is based on your point of reference xP