Author Topic: KBC poker 2 or race 2?  (Read 4435 times)

Offline paobit

KBC poker 2 or race 2?
« on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 21:17:20 »
Hey guys since I'm waiting for my endgame keyboard in the mail, I'm trying to decide which keyboard to get as an appetizer?

Race 2 (white w/ green led) MX blue or Poker 2 (white and non led) MX brown?

I think I'm leaning more towards the browns (for gaming) but I like the look of the white race 2 with green led.

what would you guys get?

Offline paobit

Re: KBC poker 2 or race 2?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 21:19:46 »
BTW I'm looking at mechanicalkeyboards.com for these boards. If anyone knows of a site where I can get a white poker 2 mx brown with white LED's within the us...That's be great! Only reason why I'm saying within the US because I want it ASAP.

Offline HardCelery

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 22:01:45 »
BTW I'm looking at mechanicalkeyboards.com for these boards. If anyone knows of a site where I can get a white poker 2 mx brown with white LED's within the us...That's be great! Only reason why I'm saying within the US because I want it ASAP.
Mechanicalkeyboards.com is located in the US, Tennessee to be exact ships through fedex.

Offline paobit

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 22:20:51 »
Mechanicalkeyboards.com is located in the US, Tennessee to be exact ships through fedex.

Yes I know. Only reason I mentioned within the US is because the only LED backlit poker 2 I've seen available for order is through massdrop and don't really want to wait for that 2 month shipping, although non led poker 2 seem to be available from MKB and banggood

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 22:22:12 »
If you want to be able to switch out caps and customize a lot, poker 2. If not, then go for the Race 2 for the better layout and layer toggling. Either way, you're getting a great keyboard.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 22:22:56 »
If you want to be able to switch out caps and customize a lot, poker 2. If not, then go for the Race 2 for the better layout and layer toggling. Either way, you're getting a great keyboard.
Yep. Also Poker 2 for resale potential :]

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 22:23:52 »
Yep. Also Poker 2 for resale potential :]

Meh, I'm sure if I put my Race 2 up, it would be gone in a heartbeat  ;)
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 22:26:11 »
Well race has alternatives like keycool and noppoo, but I think poker is a classic choice because of how much you can do to it. You're right though it would sell fast either way.

Offline paobit

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 22:28:22 »

Guess it's poker 2 lol..thanks again!

Offline Eibes

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 23:47:24 »
I currently am using a HHKB and really want to try a Race. I love this keyboard but am really missing backlighting and dedicated arrow keys, two things the Race has that the Poker does not. Just my $0.02

Offline paobit

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 23:49:35 »
How does the HHKB hold up against mashing and hard/quick presses in gaming? I was considering getting one but the price is killer...Especially mostly for gaming.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 00:10:04 »
How does the HHKB hold up against mashing and hard/quick presses in gaming? I was considering getting one but the price is killer...Especially mostly for gaming.

It holds up just as well as any MX board. i use mine for gaming as often as i use my race.

Offline paobit

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 00:23:53 »
I think my debit card needs a rest lol. I'll save the HHKB for the future

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 00:38:42 »
I think my debit card needs a rest lol. I'll save the HHKB for the future

I don't blame ya. My hhkb was my latest purchase...had to sell 2 boards before i could allow myself to buy it.

Offline Eibes

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 03:10:54 »
It works extremely well for gaming, I think I like it more than my MX Brown board. This and the original Ducky Shine in MX Brown are the only mechanical boards I have tried. It does come with a steep price tag but it is certainly worth it to try if you havent experienced a Topre board and are interested in the smaller layout.

Offline paobit

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 04:21:01 »
I already ordered a poker 2 mx reds  :-[ Maybe next time it'll be HHKB

Offline mz/x

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 13:33:29 »
It looks like I have the similar dilemma. I really like the 75% size Race 2 as it has the arrows and F buttons (which I use very frequently). On the other hand, it little bit turns me off that unlike the Poker 2 the switches are PCB mounted. I would definitely prefer  a 75% Cherry Brown switch plate mounted keyboard.

This raises two questions:
1) I have not come across (or I missed it) a 75% plate mounted Cherry keyboard.
2) Is there a plate that can be added to the Race 2 as a mod? 

Offline paobit

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 16:16:10 »
It looks like I have the similar dilemma. I really like the 75% size Race 2 as it has the arrows and F buttons (which I use very frequently). On the other hand, it little bit turns me off that unlike the Poker 2 the switches are PCB mounted. I would definitely prefer  a 75% Cherry Brown switch plate mounted keyboard.

This raises two questions:
1) I have not come across (or I missed it) a 75% plate mounted Cherry keyboard.
2) Is there a plate that can be added to the Race 2 as a mod?

I am by no means an expert/enthusiast but I'm sure others in this forum who are can chime in. But I'd say get the poker 2 since you do have those arrows/F buttons...just not dedicated. I'm more of the guy who likes aesthetics more than functionality and the poker 2 definitely, to me atleast, is better looking than the race 2

Offline mz/x

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 16:51:26 »
I am not an expert as well :-) but I am very interested in these keyboards. Yes, I agree the Poker 2 is great and my only worry is that I got so accustomed to those arrows and F buttons (mostly F1 to F10) that it would be difficult to adjust to the Poker 2. The poker 2 has definitely a smaller footprint but it is only 1 row and an extra column of keys. Not too long ago I tried two mechanical ones; 1 was pcb mounted and the other was plate mounted. I felt the plate mounted more solid and it felt like it gave me the right feedback when I used it for typing. This is my worry with the Race 2 because it is pcb mounted.

I guess I have to start looking around and try to find a 75% sized that is plate mounted (make it worse I like the brown Cherry)  :)

The other option is which I do not think it is possible to add the plate to the Race 2. Oh why oh why isn't a Race 2 that is plate mounted. :-(

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 17:15:39 »
I chose Poker 2.

Offline paobit

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 18:45:05 »
I am not an expert as well :-) but I am very interested in these keyboards. Yes, I agree the Poker 2 is great and my only worry is that I got so accustomed to those arrows and F buttons (mostly F1 to F10) that it would be difficult to adjust to the Poker 2. The poker 2 has definitely a smaller footprint but it is only 1 row and an extra column of keys. Not too long ago I tried two mechanical ones; 1 was pcb mounted and the other was plate mounted. I felt the plate mounted more solid and it felt like it gave me the right feedback when I used it for typing. This is my worry with the Race 2 because it is pcb mounted.

I guess I have to start looking around and try to find a 75% sized that is plate mounted (make it worse I like the brown Cherry)  :)

The other option is which I do not think it is possible to add the plate to the Race 2. Oh why oh why isn't a Race 2 that is plate mounted. :-(

In case you don't find what you're looking and come back to the race 2/poker 2...someone here said and I quote "Either way, you're getting a great keyboard."

Offline mz/x

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 07:09:37 »
Yep. I agree the poker 2 is definitely a good keyboard.

Does anyone know whether a Race 2 can be modified to plate mounting? (I guess that makes not much sense)

Does anyone know when a Race 3 will become "reality" and whether it will have the plate mounted keys?

Is there any other 75% sized keyboard with plate mounted design (+ brown Cherry)?
Many thanks,

Offline mz/x

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 11:17:45 »
Dear All,

I would like to ask you experts for help. I am after a 75% sized plate mounted cherry switch (brown) keyboard that has the same layout as the Race 2 but I cannot seem to find one.

Does anyone know whether a Race 2 can be modified to plate mounting? (I guess that makes not much sense)

Does anyone know when a Race 3 will become "reality" and whether it will have the plate mounted keys?

Is there any other 75% sized keyboard with plate mounted design (+ brown Cherry)?
Many thanks,

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 15:30:10 »
Dear All,

I would like to ask you experts for help. I am after a 75% sized plate mounted cherry switch (brown) keyboard that has the same layout as the Race 2 but I cannot seem to find one.

Many thanks,

If you can find an older Keycool 84 with MX Browns (the new ones have Kailh switches), those had plates and similar 75% layout. Actually a bit better since you can fit aftermarket keycaps by playing around a bit with kits. The Race 2 has oversize Esc and Del which are impossible to replace due to no sets having those size keys for the top row.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 19:25:47 »
I had the same dilemma, I ended up going with the Poker 2. The options for customization seem to be much greater. The perk I liked with the Race was the arrow keys, but as the Poker was for work, I didn't think it would matter much. I ended up going with Blues, but to each their own! Good luck choosing! Look on the bright side, you narrowed down to two!

Offline mz/x

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 13:29:19 »
I had the same dilemma, I ended up going with the Poker 2. The options for customization seem to be much greater. The perk I liked with the Race was the arrow keys, but as the Poker was for work, I didn't think it would matter much. I ended up going with Blues, but to each their own! Good luck choosing! Look on the bright side, you narrowed down to two!
Thanks for sharing your experience. Sorry I was away for a while. How do you find your effective keyboard use without the arrow keys? I use them a lot.

Offline mz/x

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 13:36:50 »

If you can find an older Keycool 84 with MX Browns (the new ones have Kailh switches), those had plates and similar 75% layout. Actually a bit better since you can fit aftermarket keycaps by playing around a bit with kits. The Race 2 has oversize Esc and Del which are impossible to replace due to no sets having those size keys for the top row.

So basically, at this moment nobody makes 75% MX Browns plate mounted. Thus, my option is to look for an older Keycool 84. Hmmm, I am sure there would be a market segment for those. I must admit I am really addicted to my arrow keys.  :))

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 14:26:41 »
There's the Noppoo Choc Mini. POM caps, plate mounted, MX Browns, 75%. Problem with that one is the size of the spacebar (5.5x).
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline mz/x

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 14:42:52 »
There's the Noppoo Choc Mini. POM caps, plate mounted, MX Browns, 75%. Problem with that one is the size of the spacebar (5.5x).
That could be an option but I saw a video on YouTube that freaked me out bit about the quality of it. The guy who tested showed the keys and everything was flexing. I am not sure I can post the link over here.

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 19:55:12 »
Thanks for sharing your experience. Sorry I was away for a while. How do you find your effective keyboard use without the arrow keys? I use them a lot.

Ah Like wise...  :-[ I use my mouse a lot more than I did before, but I am getting used to pressing FN + WASD. It is rather awkward to use FN + Left Shift + WASD to highlight though. I'v never been one to use Right Shift much...