Author Topic: Roccat Savu Rear Light and DPI Switcher Problem  (Read 4331 times)

Offline MarvX

Roccat Savu Rear Light and DPI Switcher Problem
« on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 06:04:13 »
I bought a Roccat Savu today and noticed a problem when setting up the rear light colour; when a custom colour is selected under the "advanced control" tab of the driver software, breathing effect cannot be enabled even when the "breathing effect on/off" checkbox is ticked. If any of the preset colours was chosen in place of custom colours however, breathing effect would come into effect with no problem. I wonder if it is a design flaw in the product or this particular mouse that I bought is a defective unit. :eek:

In addition, a bug is found in the driver program; I selected only 800 and 1600 in the DPI switcher under the "main control" tab for DPI cycle with one button. While it does what it's supposed to do after applying the settings to the device, every time when I reopened the driver program, the 400 DPI checkbox would be automatically ticked. Although I could easily uncheck it every time before applying any new changes, it does feel sightly cumbersome and Roccat could have been more thoughtful, or at least more diligent with rolling out fixes through driver updates. Sadly, it has been two years since the latest driver for the Savu was released. :(

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Roccat Savu Rear Light and DPI Switcher Problem
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 09:26:44 »
I have the same "problem" as your first one (using Savu w/  `savuconfig`). I don't consider it a problem at all though, because I always disable these lights.

About the second one… maybe you should use open-source drivers and send bug reports or better patches, when you notice any issues. ~_^

Offline MarvX

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 10:11:23 »
I have the same "problem" as your first one (using Savu w/  `savuconfig`). I don't consider it a problem at all though, because I always disable these lights.

About the second one… maybe you should use open-source drivers and send bug reports or better patches, when you notice any issues. ~_^

Hi~ After some further testing, I managed to figure out the cause of the 1st bug: if you set any of the R, G, B values to be 255 (max possible value), breathing effect will be disabled regardless of the status of the "breathing effect on/off" checkbox. Otherwise, the breathing effect would function normally.

Indeed, with free and open-source drivers you don't have to have your hands tied and suffer from delays in releasing new updates or the lack thereof at the hands of manufacturers. I am aware of the Roccat Linux drivers developed by Stefan Achatz (erazor_de), and good Linux support is one reason why I chose Roccat's product in the first place. Much as I would like to, I haven't quite started delving into the world of Linux yet. That being said, it's definitely at the top of my to-do list.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 10:18:33 »
Breathing never ever works for me with custom colors.

erazor_de is a cool guy. I complained about the UI a while ago and he actually fixed it for the most part.

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 15:55:09 »
Sidetracking the topic a little bit, does your savu track well on hard surfaces?
Mine tracks super badly on my Steelseries 4HD, i had to get a QcK.

Decent Mouse, i wish i could set it to 900 dpi.
The form however i still have not gotten used to, the protuberance is way too close to the palm.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 15:59:32 »
I'm using a savu on a 4HD right now and it works fine. In fact, it even glides better than any other mouse I've tried on this pad.

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 16:04:46 »
Thanks for the answer, seems like mine is definetly flawed somehow then...
Any ideas/fixes ?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 16:21:37 »
Depends what's the problem.

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 16:34:27 »
It tracks pretty random, accelerates, does not track, jitters... the problem arises when i put barely any weight on it (fingergrip it)
If i press my hand against it and make some force with my palm then it gets much better.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 17:10:25 »
Weird. I use 800 cpi @ 500 Hz w/ the pad rotated (90°). It tracks perfectly. I haven't applied the tape fix, because I like my LOD rather high. When I switch to 1600 cpi, there's some jitter and my accuracy gets poorer, but I guess my hands are to blame in the first place.

I'd check, whether there's any dirt on the pad/lens first. That's kinda obvious though.

Offline MarvX

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 12:35:55 »
Sidetracking the topic a little bit, does your savu track well on hard surfaces?
Mine tracks super badly on my Steelseries 4HD, i had to get a QcK.

Decent Mouse, i wish i could set it to 900 dpi.
The form however i still have not gotten used to, the protuberance is way too close to the palm.

I'm using my Savu on a Steelseries 9HD. It seems to me that everything works like a charm. However, this is the 1st gaming mouse I've ever bought, so I can't really compare it with others. I chose the 9HD because I gathered from multiple threads on OCN that the Savu works very well on this particular mousepad, so I guess there might be something wrong with your mouse.