Author Topic: What would it take to turn a wired mouse into a wireless mouse?  (Read 13499 times)

Offline P3TC0CK

What would it take to turn a wired mouse into a wireless mouse?
« on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 08:11:58 »
There's a wired mouse I really like the shape of (Zowie EC1 and EC2) and was wondering what components and knowledge it would take to convert a wired mouse into a wireless one? I know many people are just going to tell me to "buy a wireless mouse if I really want one" which I have already done, but I was interested in how one would go about doing so. I've seen people change out internals of mise for others, but that's not particularly useful outside of the novelty since those projects often use small wireless mice that don't have good sensors.
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun
1. a small valve or faucet, as for draining off excess or waste material from the cylinder of a steam engine or an internal-combustion engine.

Offline Hundrakia

Re: What would it take to turn a wired mouse into a wireless mouse?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 09:35:13 »
Wired or die! Depending on the wireless technology, you have some choices! I've only looked into Bluetooth, but you'd need an HID compatible Bluetooth module and a way to process the scan codes coming out over the USB out of the mouse, unless there is a library out there to wrap USB HID reports and descriptors for Bluetooth/other use

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 09:40:48 »
I have this feeling that people have done this many times with the like of game controllers.

Offline P3TC0CK

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 13:26:20 »
I have this feeling that people have done this many times with the like of game controllers.

The advantage of using a classic gaming controller is that the device is more or less a keyboard. Here is a SNES that is converted into what is essentially a 12/13 key keyboard. I'm not sure how this would work with a mouse as it seems a lot of mice (at least the low end ones) with wireless capabilities use antennas that are printed on to the mice themselves.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 August 2014, 15:30:00 by P3TC0CK »
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun
1. a small valve or faucet, as for draining off excess or waste material from the cylinder of a steam engine or an internal-combustion engine.

Offline P3TC0CK

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 15:05:19 »
Transmitter and receiver (not sure which one would be best for use with a wireless mouse) and those are available online for other applications. Not sure if parts meant for arduino any other projects can be used for this. Bluetooth wireless serial port module , many 2.4 ghz transceivers are available, and 433 mhz receivers and transmitters. Or Taking one from an existing mouse and putting them into an existing mouse.

Not sure if any of these are actually useful for a project like this. Besides being able to transmit information I assume the next big thing would be powering the thing and would be the biggest issue since space is limited inside the mouse.
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 15:13:05 »
If you are going to go the route of using a dedicated chip, for most chipsets you can get them mounted on a board with the antenna, ready for say a breadboard. I have a few of them myself that work reasonably well (Stay away from TI's CC2540 as you need a separate programmer for the unit)
I'll be more useful in a few weeks when I'm down south, as I'm ordering a few things there that are actually moderately related to what you're trying to do. In the mean time, there was a post a while back on here in which a guy was modding his HHKB to work with bluetooth, successfully. From 2011 or so? Iirc.