Author Topic: MKC Zinc Gold Tone  (Read 3355 times)

Offline Evanino

MKC Zinc Gold Tone
« on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 20:42:03 »
Anyone know where I can buy these or where the vendor sells them? Just saw them on massdrop but I was to late to the drop :(

Offline divito

Re: MKC Zinc Gold Tone
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 20:44:30 »
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline Evanino

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 20:52:33 »
Yeah thank you so much! Also does anyone know what type of material the Feenix keyboard, keycaps use? Tried them at I friends house and I liked the feel of them alot, but I don't want to pay for a keyboard just for the keycaps, looking to possibly get something similar and the MKC Zinc ones looked similar.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 21:00:22 »
Yeah thank you so much! Also does anyone know what type of material the Feenix keyboard, keycaps use? Tried them at I friends house and I liked the feel of them alot, but I don't want to pay for a keyboard just for the keycaps, looking to possibly get something similar and the MKC Zinc ones looked similar.

They most likely use ABS, doubt they use PBT.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 21:32:38 »
They're ABS.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 02:40:22 »
IIRC there was a thread discussing this board a while ago (aha, found it: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47024.0). There was a claim that they have a metallic coating, but they're plain old ABS underneath and coated with polyurethane, which is not that durable (UV cured silkscreened polyurethane, I suspect there is no actual metal involved). The ones you linked to are actually zinc metal (kirsite) caps with gold colour and laser etched legends, but they also have some sort of plastic coating which eventually wears off and then they can start to look rather poor. They won't feel the same.

If you want caps that feel the same, try to find some other PU coated caps. They feel nice for a little while, but then the coating wears off... And then you just have some thin ABS keycaps that don't feel nice.

Better to get some nice thick, high quality caps that will continue to feel nice for years and years.

As for material, if you like slick feeling caps, try POM. If you prefer a "dry" feeling, try PBT. ABS wears fairly quickly and when smooth can be "grippy". That said, high quality thick keycaps are nice in any material.

For example, GMK doubleshot ABS caps, IMSTO thick dyesub PBT or Cherry corporation thick POM originals are all fantastic feeling caps. Despite being lasered, the POM caps are my favourite, though.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.