Author Topic: [IC] Sand Keycap set  (Read 4052 times)

Offline velocirabbit

[IC] Sand Keycap set
« on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 11:12:21 »
http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/sand/

This is an interest check for the “Sand” set. Partially inspired by the Granite set and partially inspired by my girlfriend’s favorite color palette, this is a PBT DSA set to cover as many boards as possible. As such, there will be many different child buys created to cover as many layouts as possible, and to include the option of fully blank sets if desired.

The main two colors of the set will be a light and dark tan. For accent colors, there will be a “Blue extra pack” and “Green extra pack,” along with blank versions of the two.

The current mockup image shows the blank ANSI set without either of the color packs, with the green color pack, and with the blue color pack (without the colored WASD keys). Also, for the two mockups with color packs, I used a keyboard shell color that I thought matched the spirit of the set.

Material: dye-sub PBT
Profile: DSA
Typeface: Helvetica Neue

Light Tan (alphas): Pantone PMS 614
Dark Tan (mods): Pantone PMS 451
Blue (extra pack): Pantone PMS 308
Green (extra pack): Pantone PMS 3308

Sets:
  • Base set: alphas + F-keys + Esc + arrow keys + homed F and J
  • Text mods: modifiers with text legends
  • Mac mods: modifiers with Mac legends
  • Iso set: covers ISO-specific keys
  • Numpad set: numpad keys with both Enter sizes
  • Ergodox set: Ergodox keys with text legends
  • Misc mods set: non-ANSI or ISO sized mods for other keyboards
  • Multimedia modifier set: Raise volume, lower volume, mute, play, reverse, fast forward, calculator, home, dim lights, raise lights
  • Additional homing keys: homed E, H, N, T, U
  • Blank set: ANSI tenkeyless set + 2 homed alpha keys
  • Blank ISO set
  • Blank misc mods set
  • Blank numpad: Blank numpad that covers both Enter sizes
  • Blank half-Ergodox set
  • 6.25u spacebar
  • 7u spacebar
  • Green pack: Esc, Tab, ANSI Enter, ISO Enter, numpad Enter (both sizes), W, A, S, D in VS green
  • Blue pack: Esc, Tab, ANSI Enter, ISO Enter, numpad Enter (both sizes), W, A, S, D in BFD blue
  • Blank Green pack
  • Blank Blue pack

Hope you enjoy! Leave any comments, criticisms, or suggestions below. Thanks!

In case the uploaded image doesn’t work, here’s an imgur link to the mockup: http://i.imgur.com/p3PZSKq.png

UPDATES
8/28/14: Updated main mockup image with new Pantone colors and legends.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 August 2014, 21:18:31 by velocirabbit »

Offline mer

• Purple Ghost Software, Inc.
Re: [IC] Sand Keycap set
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 13:07:50 »
I like the colors. Reminds me of the old IBM Model M color scheme. But, I'd like to see what it is going to look like with the legends on the keys.
WASD V2 87-Key MX Greens
Profile pic is "Geek Hack" in Gallifreyan

Offline SL89

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 13:12:06 »
I can't help but think the appearance of this is why Matt3o suddenly got Granite Round 2 going.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 13:20:12 »
I can't help but think the appearance of this is why Matt3o suddenly got Granite Round 2 going.

Somehow I highly doubt that to be the case.

Offline velocirabbit

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 13:34:32 »
I like the colors. Reminds me of the old IBM Model M color scheme. But, I'd like to see what it is going to look like with the legends on the keys.

Thanks! In regards to the legends, I had to discuss typeface availability with SP first. Now that it's all settled, I'll work on creating mockups of all of the child buys and update this post once I'm done. I don't think I can edit the Interest Check page on PMK, but maybe Melissa (CSR) can.

Hah! Flattering, but I don't think so. Matt3o is his own man.

Offline SL89

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 13:39:03 »
I should have indicated that comment had a bit of sarcasm to it.  :))

I like the color palette tho. Are these going to be dyesub as well Velocirabbit?

Offline velocirabbit

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 13:40:48 »
I should have indicated that comment had a bit of sarcasm to it.  :))

I like the color palette tho. Are these going to be dyesub as well Velocirabbit?

Yup! I didn't bother to mention it because I thought that was the default for PBT at SP, but if that's not the case I can make a note of it.

Offline SL89

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 13:46:05 »
Yup! I didn't bother to mention it because I thought that was the default for PBT at SP, but if that's not the case I can make a note of it.

Just making sure, it might be common knowledge for some and not for others.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 14:05:46 »
I like it, but you should wait ~2 months after Granite R2 has finished otherwise people will simply be broke and skip your set.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 18:06:17 »
I like it, but you should wait ~2 months after Granite R2 has finished otherwise people will simply be broke and skip your set.

Very much this.  Lots of nice stuff up for sale right now or coming up very soon.  Wallet is crying.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 22:38:54 »

Very much this.  Lots of nice stuff up for sale right now or coming up very soon.  Wallet is crying.

Welcome to Wallethack :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 13:46:35 »
Can SP do dyesub on DSA? If so, this could be nice. I don't think many people would be interested if the only option is pad printed... Would be nice to see what the set looks like with legends on.

Also, I feel that the tan colours are a bit too "cool", should have a bit more yellow in, IMHO. Then again, there are a lot of different types of sand.

The PBT texture should match the theme nicely.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 04:49:00 »
Dye sub works fine on DSA, remember Granite and Galaxy Class :)
Also on DCS works, not on SA that is a no go for SP.
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline velocirabbit

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 11:10:12 »
Also, I feel that the tan colours are a bit too "cool", should have a bit more yellow in, IMHO. Then again, there are a lot of different types of sand.

I agree 100%. These mockups were made before I had talked to SP about color choices. I've always thought you HAD to use the colors that SP has, but Melissa told me that if I give them a Pantone number then they can have the colors ordered at no additional cost for the set (although, since they have to order a minimum quantity, it increases the importance of interest checks ahead of time). I'm going to redo the set with the actual colors I wanted, and not just with what they have available, and then update the posts and throw out interest checks.

Offline velocirabbit

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 20:55:17 »
Updated the initial mock up with new Pantone colors that better reflect what I wanted the set to look like. I've confirmed with SP that these colors are possible. I've also added legends (Helvetica Neue).

Next, I'm going to work on figuring out what sets this group buy should consist of and making mock ups of them. That'll consist of a lot of research on as many popular keyboards as possible, dividing each one up, and optimizing from there. I love optimization problems so that should be fun, if not time consuming. But hopefully I can have it accurate enough that others who want to start group buys can just copy it so they don't have to go through the effort.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions!

« Last Edit: Thu, 28 August 2014, 21:15:48 by velocirabbit »

Offline SL89

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 21:19:00 »
looks good velocirabbit!