Author Topic: How loud is the Topre Type Heaven compared to say, Realforce keyboards?  (Read 5682 times)

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
I need another keyboard for work. However, I do not want to spend as much on the keyboard as I did for my home and main work location.

So I am looking for cheaper alternatives, which led me to the Topre Type Heaven. One important thing though, is that I share the office it will be put in. Therefore, it can not be too noisy. The sound of the Realforce keyboards (87u, 104u, both variable and 45g) are completely fine for office work. However, I read in a number of places that the Type Heaven is more noisy.

So for those who own, or who have used the type heaven. Do you think the sound is ok for an office environment? Is it still in that "normal keyboard sound" range, like the realforce keyboards? It is it considerably louder.

Also, for those who have used them side by side, can you give an impression of how much more noisy the Type Heaven is? Is it only a small subtle difference in sound, or is it very obvious and are they on two entirely different levels when it comes to sound?

Thanks !
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: How loud is the Topre Type Heaven compared to say, Realforce keyboards?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 09:30:38 »
To me when typing on topre keyboards it depends on how hard you type.

I don't recall the type heaven being any louder than the realforce.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 23:35:29 »
I have owned Type Heaven for white a while now and have recently acquired a Realforce.  I have to say Type Heaven is a tiny bit louder but not by much.

The main difference is that somehow the rebound (release key) of slider hitting top plastic housing is a bit louder on Type Heaven, I'm assuming it's because ABS makes a higher pitched sound than the PBT thock.

I have also used my Type Heaven in the office for a while now and no one has complained so far.  So I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.  :P

I'd definitely recommand Type Heaven, even though it's cheaper and uses ABS keycaps but he construction is amazing and I personally kind of like softer feel of ABS keycaps.  For the price I think it's an amazing deal.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline dante

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 19:51:12 »
IMO the Type Heaven is the best Topre board because it's the lowest profile.

That being said - the Type Heaven is a wiiii bit louder - barely but what is more quiet on the Type Heaven are the stabilized keys.  I found the stabilized keys on most of my Topre boards to have a metal clanky sound which is especially annoying on a board like the 87U Silent.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 20:16:16 »
Perhaps this video will help you, realforce vs type heaven, and then they swap the keycaps back and forth. The video sounds pretty accurate to me.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 02:51:07 »
Thanks for all the responses guys. Really did give me a clear indication of what the differences in sound are.

I was ready to buy a type Heaven based on the responses in this thread, but then someone offered to sell me a used Realforce for a price lower than a Typeheaven so I decided to go with that in the end.

If I need a Topre keyboard in the future, the typeheaven is definitely one of the keyboards that I would first consider. They are now on amazon for $150. I can't import from the US (customs) but that seems like pretty good deal and it is probably the cheapest Topre keyboard you can buy.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 11:36:44 »
Oh and I'm not sure which Topre (variable, 45g, or 55g) you're getting.  But I've recently tried variable Topre, and I have to say I definitely like 45g uniform better (both typing and gaming).

Again this is purely preference, but if you manage to get a way to acquire a Type Heven one day you should really give it a shot.

:thumb:

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 16:34:04 »
Oh and I'm not sure which Topre (variable, 45g, or 55g) you're getting.  But I've recently tried variable Topre, and I have to say I definitely like 45g uniform better (both typing and gaming).

Again this is purely preference, but if you manage to get a way to acquire a Type Heven one day you should really give it a shot.

Thanks.  I got the variable weight cos I got a good deal on it. Figured I might as well try it and for the price,  I could not pass it up.

After using it for a while I have to agree that the 45g feels better to me too (that is what I use at home) .  But I do not regret the purchase.  Both keyboards are pretty nice.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 23:09:49 »

Thanks.  I got the variable weight cos I got a good deal on it. Figured I might as well try it and for the price,  I could not pass it up.

After using it for a while I have to agree that the 45g feels better to me too (that is what I use at home) .  But I do not regret the purchase.  Both keyboards are pretty nice.

Haha yeah either way it's they're both pretty good keyboards so you should be fine.

Just out of curiosity what's your daily driver at home right now?

Though I still feel like if I have any extra money one day I want to mod my Realforce to 45g uniform.  :P

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 09:35:46 »
Though I still feel like if I have any extra money one day I want to mod my Realforce to 45g uniform.  :P

The Realforce I use at home was modded to 45g, save for the caps lock, print screen, scroll lock, and pause keys, which are 55g. It's also "silent" in that silicone was added between the top case and sliders, along with some Krytox 205 for good measure. It's a superlative typing experience, and if you have the means and know-how, it's a mod I would definitely recommend.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 09:49:42 »
even with all the crap the typeheaven gets, i still think its built more solidly than the realforce
realforce's plastic cases are some of the crappiest/cheapest feeling things ever.

And i use my typeheaven here at work and its not any louder than my co-worker's Dell rubber domes (in b4 the topre is a rubber dome comment)

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 10:39:18 »

Haha yeah either way it's they're both pretty good keyboards so you should be fine.

Just out of curiosity what's your daily driver at home right now?

My daily driver is a 45g uniform 87U. Before I started using topre it was a Filco Cherry MX brown with 40AL o-rings. But the rattle and ping coming off the keyboard was still too loud for my purposes. I did like the way the Cherry MX browns feel though.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 22:19:05 »
The Realforce I use at home was modded to 45g, save for the caps lock, print screen, scroll lock, and pause keys, which are 55g. It's also "silent" in that silicone was added between the top case and sliders, along with some Krytox 205 for good measure. It's a superlative typing experience, and if you have the means and know-how, it's a mod I would definitely recommend.

lol damn it, I was a bit skeptical about modding my Realforce because I just bought it recently and didn't want to crack it open yet.

But now you've convinced me to mod it since I've always wanted a full size 45g uniform Realforce.

Though I'm not too sure about the silence mod yet since it reduce the travel height a little bit.  I guess I'll see.  :P

even with all the crap the typeheaven gets, i still think its built more solidly than the realforce
realforce's plastic cases are some of the crappiest/cheapest feeling things ever.

And i use my typeheaven here at work and its not any louder than my co-worker's Dell rubber domes (in b4 the topre is a rubber dome comment)

Yeah people always mark off Type Heaven just because of the ABS keycaps, but honestly in terms of the case finish I actually like it better on the Type Heaven.

Also like you said it's super solidly built.  Definitely recommend.  :thumb:

My daily driver is a 45g uniform 87U. Before I started using topre it was a Filco Cherry MX brown with 40AL o-rings. But the rattle and ping coming off the keyboard was still too loud for my purposes. I did like the way the Cherry MX browns feel though.

lol nice, everyone loves the 45g eh?  Though to be honest I was hoping they'd mass produce the 45g 104U.  Oh well I guess I have to take matters into my own hand as all geekhackers do lol.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 22:21:16 »
I like my rich man blank's though :/ on my 87

Offline anowt

• "I want you to buckle my spring" ♪♪~
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 22:24:12 »
I like my rich man blank's though :/ on my 87

keke. that's probably what i will end up doing -- i.e., getting the 55g 87 with stock keys. screw it, i will be happy to have a topre. but i'm still not sure which topre to get. i'm sure 55g is the way to go, though.
Front Line: IBM Model M SSK
Tactical Team: QFR TKL (MX Blue)
Recon: KUL ES-87 (MX Red)
Special Operations: RF 87U 55g