Author Topic: is there a geekhack anonymous thread?  (Read 5026 times)

Offline SpecTP

is there a geekhack anonymous thread?
« on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 13:33:59 »
before I joined: IBM M keyboard, Corsair K60 and K70, Logitech G15

I've only been on this board for 2 months and I've already got:

keysets: 7 of various colors
keyboards: KUL mx clear, CODE mx clear with led, CM rapid tkl mx brown, noopoo choco mini mx blues, ducky zero mx blue
keycaps: 24 various

and I got a kbc poker 2 on the way... this 'hobby' is worse than crack.  :eek:

I just hope I don't catch the clack fever..  :-X
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 August 2014, 13:35:33 by SpecTP »

Offline Demetrium

Re: is there a geekhack anonymous thread?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 14:08:11 »
That's a lot of boards! I've got a Poker 2 on the way as well to join my 2x Das (blue, brown) and my CM Trigger (red). This is my first buy in about 18 months or so though.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 14:11:39 »
Hi, I'm CLiB, and I've been a GH addict for 5 years now.

I tried to quit so many times, but I always came back when I was in desperate need of a fix.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 14:19:48 »
I'm spamray, I got addicted to posting here so they changed my username. I also have entirely too many keyboards, keycaps etc. I was like a kid in a candy store last night unboxing 15 cherry keypads and testing them.

Offline jameslr

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 14:28:21 »
Clackheads Anonymous anyone? I'd buy a Tyrone Biggums clack for sure.

CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline osi

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 14:39:01 »
Hello all. I go by osi. I'll be finished buying keyboard stuffs you know just after I get these cables. No no no...this keyset is so beutimus, I must..ok last stuff for real and then there this doubleshot...something... thats it I swear --

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 14:52:52 »
Hello,
my name is snoopy and I'm addicted to buckling springs and collect little plastic skulls.

Tried to quit once, but didn't work.

I have way too much stuff in lots of boxes in my office and on my attic. I even forgot how many keyboards I have.

I sometimes wonder if 6 SSKs and 3 Kishsaver are enough, or if I need more. Yeah, my main drug has three letters.

Clacks? 40+... stopped counting at a certain point of time.

HHKBs? yes, of course.

G80? Too many... and too many spare parts for them.

Novelty caps? tons of them... do I use them? no, but good to know that I have them... somewhere.

Stop buying keyboards? no, currently not... ordered two more yesterday.

I also start forgetting in which groupbuys I participated. So its always a surprise when a new package arrives at my doorstep.

Good to know I'm not alone.

Need new clacks... NOW!

snoopy

Offline Magna224

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 00:46:27 »
My problem started back when I was in highschool. Rough times... I saved up forever just so I could try a couple of dirty, used, and cheap ones I found online. Ever since then I've been spending more and more. I'm stuck. Help me.
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 00:50:39 »
GREAT TOPIC IDEA!!!!!!!!

I am on the clack, bro bot, kbk, etc therapy's.. BUT GeekHack Therapy... Awesome idea man..

I don't want to think of how much money Ive spent from this sites contributors images and information, hehe...

BUT I have spent alot of hours getting GOOD information and making GREAT friends!  :thumb:

Offline RED-404

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 01:24:45 »
I don't really know what happened, I got a SteelSeries 7G years ago "I think mid 08" and I was happy. I even got support to send me new keycaps for free.
My only complaint was the enter key and the three bright ass LEDs.

Now for some strange reason over the past 12 months I have gotten a Ducky Shine 3, Poker 2, Choc Mini 2M, Unicomp PC-122, 6 keycap sets and moded the hell out of my Poker 2.

Why I can't tell you, but I think I remember being happier with my SteelSeries 7G.

I think I will stop after I get a ErgoDox and maybe a 40% after that.

What I'm also going to need an alps keyboard oha and a HHKB Type-S and........

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 01:39:41 »
Hello,
my name is snoopy and I'm addicted to buckling springs and collect little plastic skulls.

Tried to quit once, but didn't work.

I have way too much stuff in lots of boxes in my office and on my attic. I even forgot how many keyboards I have.

I sometimes wonder if 6 SSKs and 3 Kishsaver are enough, or if I need more. Yeah, my main drug has three letters.

Clacks? 40+... stopped counting at a certain point of time.

HHKBs? yes, of course.

G80? Too many... and too many spare parts for them.

Novelty caps? tons of them... do I use them? no, but good to know that I have them... somewhere.

Stop buying keyboards? no, currently not... ordered two more yesterday.

I also start forgetting in which groupbuys I participated. So its always a surprise when a new package arrives at my doorstep.

Good to know I'm not alone.

Need new clacks... NOW!

snoopy

Great post man.. SSKs seem so cool!! Haha ordered 2 more boards.. you have surprise group buy packages showing up.. So cool!

Offline Belfong

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 01:49:21 »
Hi there..

Before I joined GH, I have only an Acer alps board. Then I started to see Matias, Blackwidow, Poker 2, Code Clear, KBT ONI, HHKB, RealForce. I thought that's insane and I told myself they have to go! So I sold most off and only have Matias, Code, HHKB and RealForce. Still too many, imo but I think it's acceptable to have one of each switch.

I thought I am done.. and then I started to collect BroBot and Clacks. These are worst dope than keyboards. With keyboards, I can still feel guilt and decide to sell. With BB and CC, I just can't let go. HALPPPPPP!

Is this thread suppose to help me get over these addiction? Those Brobot Therapy and Clack Therapy threads aren't that useful.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 03:13:20 »
Before I joined here I was stuck in the gamer rubber dome rut.  I then decided to get out of that by buying myself a Das Keyboard with browns and blank caps when they were Costar built.  Had the Das for while and decided I wanted legends.  Not that I needed them, I just wanted a change of scenery.  That was a little over a year and a half ago. 

As of right now I have 5 keyboards and a random number of sets of caps.  Of the 5 boards, my Dad is my daily driver and the other 4 are projects.  Of those, 2 are M's, 1 Wyse, and an AEK II.  When I get these built up they will be sold to help fund the Sherline Mill that I will be getting hopefully this fall.  Although I might keep the WYSE and sell my Dad that has the HDD activity led on the ESC key.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 04:06:13 »
I'm not a GH addict! I can quit whenever I want!

... who am I kidding? ...

With keyboards I sometimes tell myself that every keyboard could be used... or that some switches or keycaps or case that I have acquired would be useful for some future project, but I know that is not really true.
Right now, I have more than 25 keyboards... of which 17 are mechanical and 10 have Cherry MX switches, and then too much crap in boxes. Some projects are unfinished, with parts laying in boxes for two years or more.
Good thing I haven't started collecting keycap sets, and most of my keyboards were good deals, bought only slightly used for much less than retail.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 04:16:55 »
25 keyboards! :eek:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 06:09:18 »

Yeah, only a beginner.

I have maybe around 50 keyboards (not all mechanical though, only about 12 or 13 are mechanical) - do I need therapy?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Belfong

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 06:10:19 »

Yeah, only a beginner.

I have maybe around 50 keyboards (not all mechanical though, only about 12 or 13 are mechanical) - do I need therapy?
Seriously, rowdy?? 50??!!

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 06:16:21 »
Before I joined here I was stuck in the gamer rubber dome rut.  I then decided to get out of that by buying myself a Das Keyboard with browns and blank caps when they were Costar built.  Had the Das for while and decided I wanted legends.  Not that I needed them, I just wanted a change of scenery.  That was a little over a year and a half ago. 

As of right now I have 5 keyboards and a random number of sets of caps.  Of the 5 boards, my Dad is my daily driver and the other 4 are projects.  Of those, 2 are M's, 1 Wyse, and an AEK II.  When I get these built up they will be sold to help fund the Sherline Mill that I will be getting hopefully this fall.  Although I might keep the WYSE and sell my Dad that has the HDD activity led on the ESC key.

Selling your Dad is indeed a sign that you have some kind of addiction. A bad one.

Hello I'm spiceBar and I have not purchased any keyboard for more than one month now. I have even given two to some friends recently... But these were rubberdomes! :)

I admit I have spent an entire night the other day re-doing the silencing in my FC660C. God that was good!

Just an MX clear TKL. That's all I need now to be finished with all of this...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 06:30:21 »

Yeah, only a beginner.

Seriously, rowdy?? 50??!!

Probably.  I threw out a bunch of old AT keyboards a while back (no mechanical ones!).  I'd have to count them all, but probably around 50, yeah.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Belfong

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 07:46:59 »
Since you threw them away, that's progress! You are on the path to cutting out the addition! Well done!

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 08:21:00 »
Before geekhack, I was a peripheral enthusiast. Most of that had to do with gaming, and I was more informed and interested in mice, headphones, monitors and so on. I did have a mechanical keyboard that I liked(Steelseries 7g) but did not really get that much into it. I was actually less picky about the keyboard than I was about other peripherals.

That is when I discovered Geekhack. The main thing I learned was that there were other switches for me to try. And suddenly I began wondering if the keyboard I had was actually the correct one for me. So I began trying all kinds of other keyboards, like many people on geekhack do. Though, rather than buying and keeping a keyboard, I would typically buy a keyboard, use it for a while, buy something else, and sell the old one.

Soon I had an understanding of what the different switches felt like and what I preferred. Not only which switches I preferred, but which characteristics I was looking for in a keyboard. For a while, I settled on Cherry MX browns that I used with O-rings because of the noise. But I was not entirely satisfied. Sure, they felt nice, but the o-rings made the landing a little less pleasant, and they were still quite loud. Too loud actually for the office and even at home. Colleagues and girlfriend tolerated it, but it bothered me that they would sometimes point out how loud the keyboards were.

So I looked for something not as loud, but that still had that that light feel with slight tactility. That is when I started using Topre. Pretty soon, every keyboard I owned was replaced with a Topre Realforce keyboard. Either 45g or variable. For me, that is kind of where my journey ends. I have dabbled in some keyboard customization. I have some cool novelty keycaps and keycap sets. But I would never use those at work, and even at home, I do not use them anymore. Having one nice novelty keycap on the escape key is about as far as I go now.

So I guess you could say that the worst is behind me. Because I tried so many different keyboards and switches the urge is gone. Every now and then I go through classifieds and vendor forums to see if I can get something cool in terms of accessories. I also still get excited and buy things when someone just made something cool (can be a wristrest, cable, keycap, carrying case or whatever). But I am kind of done spending large amounts of money all the time. There is no more reason to.

That said.... I bought my most recent keyboard a few hours ago. Though I swear it was one that I actually needed.... for work.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 August 2014, 08:33:42 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 08:29:26 »
I'm absyrd and I'm not a keyboard addict anymore... but I am a GH addict. I don't own any keycap sets and very few novelty keys now. Between my wife and I, we only have 4 keyboards we use. Had 15+ at one point. However, I truly have an interest in keyboards, but mostly I live vicariously through most of you. I have much more of an interest in this fun, inviting community full of wacky personalities. I'm happy that I've made e-friends on here, too. I spend too much time on here just for those reasons.

My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 17:47:50 »
Yeah, I think I should sell some off.

I bought several because I wanted to try them out, either for a switch I hadn't used before or because it was ergonomic (Kinesis, Nostromo, Goldtouch) and I wanted to construct my own ergo keyboard.
I have pretty much settled for lubed Cherry MX Clear. Before that, I tried several clicky switches.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 20:12:31 »
My first computer was a PCs Ltd “AT Clone” (ie 80286) probably built by Michael Dell himself in early 1985. It came with (ie I bought as a peripheral) a really nice keyboard but I don’t know what exactly. In the early-mid-1990s it developed a problem and I had to replace it – at that point it was hard to find a keyboard with function keys on the left side and I paid dearly for it. Foolishly, I gave that entire system (including a warhorse Epson dot-matrix printer) away a few years later to a guy who I felt sorry for.

In the late-1990s my employer bought me a new Dell system with an AT101 which I used regularly until about 2004. I bought a Compaq system at that time with an SK-2800 (excellent rubber dome “media”) keyboard which I used until about 2010.

Early–mid–2010 three things happened in short order: I did an internet search for something like “best keyboard” (returning “the one true keyboard” as well as sending me to geekhack), I started a new job and needed at least one more keyboard (even though I retrieved my old AT101 from a previous/new co–worker), and I got a (broken) Northgate Omnikey at a second–hand store for $2.

So, I quickly bought a Model M (a 1991 black label 1391401 that remains completely unmodified and is still one of my best Ms to this day), started scoping out second–hand shops and buying anything interesting and cheap, and also bought an F XT because it was extolled as even better than the Model M. Also, I quickly realized that I loathe keys that do not click.

Since then, I have explored almost everything *EXCEPT* Topre and pre–Model F IBM iron such as beam spring or Hall effect. I have a handful of keyboards in general circulation, a “permanent collection” of perhaps a dozen keyboards, and a “rotating collection” of a dozen more that may or may not be made permanent.

Then there is a group of 10–20 that need to be sold, a third of which are very nice.

Cherry switches simply do not turn me on, and I have never gotten the hang of linear switches. I have put my 14–year–old son (who loves to game) on a modded Filco TKL with black Cherries and specific targeted mods (O–rings on the all heavily–used gaming keys and “gold” zinc WASD, for example) which he loves. The only Cherry keyboard in my personal collection is a G80–11900 with soft O–rings. (I LOVE the touch pad.) Otherwise, the best Cherry I have had, and sold, was a Leopold full–size with blues which was very nice in its own way but blue Cherries are extremely irritating to me.

My love affair with Alps is more entertaining. My supreme Alps keyboard is a Northgate Omnikey 101 which I have populated with blue Alps. My other pinnacle is a Filco Zero with blue Alps and a custom hodge–podge key set that looks fantastic but for a few minor oddities. I have a Ducky 1087XM with orange Alps that is very very nice, especially when I put old Apple PBT keys on it, and a Dell AT101W with orange Alps that is my “standing utility PS/2” keyboard. Beyond that, I have another Omnikey 101 with Matias Quiet keys but there is a cluster of nearly a dozen dead keys that I need to diagnose and repair. And, oh yes, I have primo Apple AEK (orange) and AEK2 (cream) securely boxed with a NIB iMate for whenever I feel the urge in the future.

As for “Alps–like” switches, my “Laser” brand keyboard with white SMKs is extremely enjoyable, and the switches are smooth and responsive. My Acer with its “ersatz–Alps–like” switch bodies with plungers over membrane is absolutely delightful. Not a mechanical keyboard, but a joy to use.

NMB Hi-Tek (aka “Space Invaders” aka “Angry Bear”) switches are wonderful. They are a nightmare to work with and can get dirty, but how sweet to use! Insanely complicated and fussy, it is easy to understand how they fell off of “the information superhighway” but they feel fantastic! The linear (white) ones are very smooth and the clicky (black) ones are superb. They are strong and tight and there is really no wobble. They actuate high up and are very consistent and sturdy. How unfortunate that they are obsolete, hard to find, and offer no realistic keycap customization.

So we are down to buckling springs. There is so much to say that I simply won’t say it. The Model M is “the one true keyboard” and it is a radical cheapening and downgrading of the Model F. Figure that out for yourself.

I have a full set with backups of what I consider to be important. At this point, when I buy a keyboard it is mostly an experiment to see whether it would be an upgrade to what I already have, or just a great deal that I pounced on for general principals.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 21:33:53 »
Since you threw them away, that's progress! You are on the path to cutting out the addition! Well done!

I have checked, as far as I can.

In the garage there are 7, plus a Sun keyboard in one of the boxes somewhere, plus another keyboard that experienced a chocolate milk crisis and is now sporting a layer of mold.

74693-0

Running total = 9.

At work I have QFS, and Ducky SHine with green LED.

Running total = 11.

My other half has one keyboard, my daughter has 1 (both are technically my keyboards as the original ones had some adventures).

Running total = 13.

In the green mini wheelie bin are 11 keyboards, mostly rubber dome.

74695-1

Running total = 24.

In the pink mini wheelie bin are 13 keyboards, also mostly rubber dome.

74697-2

Running total = 37.

Two Model M and two Apple aluminium keyboards.

74699-3

Running total = 41.

Ducky Shine yellow, QFR, and CM Trigger (in the box under the switch).

74701-4

Running total = 44.

Ducky Shine red LED.

74703-5

Running total = 45.

HHKB Pro 2.

74705-6

Running total = 46.

Technically I have an HP terminal keyboard that is still at work, whenever I can arrange to bring the terminal home.  I'll include that one too.

Running total = 47.

So I have only 47 keyboards.  There might be one or two more somewhere, in boxes long forgotten.

Do I need therapy?

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 23:18:03 »
i really have not counted? i have most in my sig, but not all.

for whatever reason i like older switches and boards. i have most of the newer mx switch boards, however i am way more fond of bs, alps, space invader, futaba, mx and alps clones and yes even smk's.

many opt for the custom mx boards coming out which are cool, but i'm just a sucker for old forgotten mechanicals that are cheap and mostly nobody pays attention to. i enjoy taking them apart and restoring them.

i agree with fohat as well on the laser with the smk's-- great board! i just picked up a leading edge with white [clicky] smk's, plus it is ansi. the stabs are backwards, but you can pretty near do a full keycap swap on such an old board.

futaba linears are quite nice as well i might add............ :-*

wasn't really into topre, so i got rid of my 87u 55g :eek:

i collected fountain pens at one point in my life as well and while everybody else my age (at the time) was collecting the new stuff, i went for the older, more neglected stuff. now i have a gold mine of vintage fountain pens (right cptbadass?)

it's just a choice and what makes us all different, eclectic and interesting in our own right :cool: i get a kick out of different people have different tastes, their mods, reasons for and against. does not offend me all that people in the group think some of the older stuff is just junk for the most part.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 August 2014, 10:40:00 by terrpn »
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline Belfong

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 00:36:39 »
I'm very interested in those iOS app icon stuck on the edge of Rowdy's table - the one below the Yellow keyboard. Where did you get them?

But yeah, you have too many keyboards bro! Just too many!!!

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 04:33:46 »
Rowdy: You shouldn't wrap cables around keyboards like that. PVC cables can eat into ABS case plastic leaving marks.. I think it is the plasticizer in the PVC that does it.

A great advice I got on this board (I'm sorry I forgot who said it) is to bundle the cables into empty toilet paper rolls. It also helps with keeping the cables organized and not hook into each other.

Offline klikkyklik

• Klikky Klik
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 06:43:28 »
Hello, I'm klikkyklik, and I'm rapidly and enthusiastically diving into the madness.  So much to learn!  So much junk to accumulate!   :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 20:38:57 »
I'm very interested in those iOS app icon stuck on the edge of Rowdy's table - the one below the Yellow keyboard. Where did you get them?

But yeah, you have too many keyboards bro! Just too many!!!

It's a set of fridge magnets.  I got them at the local $2 store, they were $5 or something like that a few years ago.  Something like this.

Rowdy: You shouldn't wrap cables around keyboards like that. PVC cables can eat into ABS case plastic leaving marks.. I think it is the plasticizer in the PVC that does it.

A great advice I got on this board (I'm sorry I forgot who said it) is to bundle the cables into empty toilet paper rolls. It also helps with keeping the cables organized and not hook into each other.

Interesting idea about the toilet rolls.  I might start collecting, although pretty much all of those keyboards are rubber dome and probably going to be thrown out fairly soon.

Thanks for the head-up though :)

Offline xybre

• clickityclackclickityclack
    • Music and Stuff
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 00:51:59 »
Before joining I already had around 6 keyboards in the room with me (3 mechanical) plus a crate in storage of vintage keyboards of various descriptions.

I've been on here a week and I've already partaken in at least 2 GBs, I've purchased one custom keyboard (Eagle) and I'll be picking up another (GON NerD) in a month or so. I'm eyed two more keyboards.

I have a ****ing spreadsheet to keep track of the keycap sets I like.
GON NerD 60 & Duck Eagle & Unicomp Ultra Classic & Das Keyboard Ultimate

Offline xybre

• Music and Stuff
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 18:40:48 »
Okay and last night I had a dream I bought a HHKB and was playing with the Topre switches. Wat.  :eek:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 05:33:19 »
Okay and last night I had a dream I bought a HHKB and was playing with the Topre switches. Wat.  :eek:

I have HHKB and I like playing with the switches.

Is that wrong?

Sometimes I tell myself I shouldn't be touching the keyboard like that, then I slink away and use a Ducky of a QFR for a while.

But I keep finding myself drawn back to the HHKB.

Offline lp0

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 07:24:27 »
In the span of a month I've gone from a dome keyboard to ordering a Poker II with browns, Poker II with clears, JD40, Eagle, and I really want the ALT60. The ALT60 makes sense right?

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 08:36:12 »
Hello, My name is henz and i am an addict. =)

Offline xybre

• Music and Stuff
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 13:25:57 »

Is that wrong?

Sometimes I tell myself I shouldn't be touching the keyboard like that, then I slink away and use a Ducky of a QFR for a while.

I've never even touched a HHKB, or seen one in person. I'm not even considering getting one. I guess my subconscious disagrees.  :))

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 04:55:13 »

Is that wrong?

I've never even touched a HHKB, or seen one in person. I'm not even considering getting one. I guess my subconscious disagrees.  :))

That fact that you are talking about it suggests otherwise ;)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 06:32:20 »
Hi,

I'm Oobly and I'm a keycap addict. I own 2 boards that I can put keycaps on, but have 8 keycap sets and have ordered another 7. And I keep browsing IC and GB looking for more.

I think I'll stop when my GMK Dolch sets arrive.... But Matt3o is going to run a Retro SA GB! I have to get that one. Then I'll stop... maybe.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 06:36:14 »
Hi,

I'm Oobly and I'm a keycap addict. I own 2 boards that I can put keycaps on, but have 8 keycap sets and have ordered another 7. And I keep browsing IC and GB looking for more.

I think I'll stop when my GMK Dolch sets arrive.... But Matt3o is going to run a Retro SA GB! I have to get that one. Then I'll stop... maybe.

I reflected over the same thing yesterday. i have 3(4 soon) bords and 6 keycap sets, i guess we need to order more boards.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 06:48:49 »
Hi,

You just need to make yourself a few more custom boards to hold all those keycaps :D ;) And GMK Dolch will only make you want more GMK caps :P

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 09:17:44 »

I reflected over the same thing yesterday. i have 3(4 soon) bords and 6 keycap sets, i guess we need to order more boards.

Perhaps....

You just need to make yourself a few more custom boards to hold all those keycaps :D ;) And GMK Dolch will only make you want more GMK caps :P

Now that's a good idea :) I've actually ordered 2 [CTRL]ALT 60 PCB's just for this purpose.... Not sure I find your second comment encouraging, though, but it'll probably go that way.

I also find my self becoming curious about Matias Quiet switches even though there are less keycap options.

At this point it seems resistance may well be futile.

Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 09:19:38 »

Perhaps....

Now that's a good idea :) I've actually ordered 2 [CTRL]ALT 60 PCB's just for this purpose.... Not sure I find your second comment encouraging, though, but it'll probably go that way.

I also find my self becoming curious about Matias Quiet switches even though there are less keycap options.

At this point it seems resistance may well be futile.

Matias switches are interesting and hopefully soon he will flood us with ALP keycaps as well!

Offline SpecTP

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 09:21:17 »
I'm starting to get an itch for topre keyboards... I need to build more pc's to go with these keyboards.  :p

Offline osi

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 09:25:11 »
I'm starting to get an itch for topre keyboards... I need to build more pc's to go with these keyboards.  :p

You don't need a computer--just keep getting boards! :D

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 13:13:22 »
Hello, I'm davkol and I like ergonomic keyboards and thick Cherry POM keycaps. I also have 30+ mostly vintage keyboards in the closet. And I'm designing my very own keyboard layout, although I already use Colemak with custom layers.

The good news is that I don't particularly care about custom keycap sets, fancy custom keyboards with metal cases and outrageous novelty keycaps… I'm not even picky about switches: stock clears or blacks/reds work just fine for me.

Offline SpecTP

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 10:32:08 »
there is a MassDrop for Poker II with mx clears.. I already got a poker, so naturally I said 'shut up and take my money'..  and I've noticed that some of my keys are getting shiny so I now 'have to' get some new keycaps..  it never ends.

Offline barkinos98

• Illinois
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 14:27:23 »
I have a G710+ and QFR when talking mechanics...
too bad i have about 5 other keyboards including anything from a roll up one to a G19 :/

going to sell all but the mechs to clear up space though.
Happy Hacking Professional 2  | Logitech G710+ | Quickfire Rapid MX Clears

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 16:45:26 »
hi im on probation
oh wai-
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 06 September 2014, 03:20:34 »
oh man.. didnt think the site would ever come back online..  ;)