Author Topic: Zowie mouses such as FK1/EC1/EC2/AM vs Mionix Avior 7000  (Read 24692 times)

Offline ajx

Zowie mouses such as FK1/EC1/EC2/AM vs Mionix Avior 7000
« on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 17:42:26 »
Hi, i want to buy one of them but dunno which one
I really like Zowie mice design, cute and simple mice  ;D
FK1 is latest released mice, its apparently one of best current mice but i dont like these yellow funky color on logo and scroll-wheel 
In the other hands, Mionix Avior has more programmable buttons (4) which can be useful on gaming purpose and its ambidextrous (CON to me because i prefer right handed mice but its personal)
They r damn close in my mind, i cant make a decision about buying either one of them
Maybe about scroll-wheel, i would like something softer than Logitech scroll-wheel, i cant really use stiff scroll-wheell, it feels so stiff on my fingers!
Feel free to suggest other mouses
Thanks  :D

EDIT
I forgot: i mostly play FPS and TPS/adventure, i will never play any RTS/MOBA/MMO, its only for fps purpose ( mainly on Left 4 Dead 2)

Offline munch

• !
Re: Zowie mouses such as FK1/EC1/EC2/AM vs Mionix Avior 7000
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 August 2014, 21:57:31 »
FK1 and AM are also ambidextrous - just so you haven't gotten the wrong idea!

FK1 and the Avior 7000 use the same sensor, but the FK1 has a custom lens for lower LOD - which I didn't quite get with the 3310 (the sensor) as the LOD on the Avior when set to lowest, is suuper low. as low as the FK 2014 that I had before. shouldn't it be possible to just put the LOD on lowest setting via firmware or something and ship it like so? ah well, not my decision :p
I do like the Avior a lot though, and prefer it to the FK1. the backside of the Avior is a bit bigger, whereas the FK/FK1 are very skinny. Avior feels very clawgrip friendly.

the buttons on the Avior are softer than the Zowies by quite a bit, so that's worth taking into consideration. FK heavier than the EC1/EC2 though, but can't recall if the AM felt softer or harder. didn't like that one much. not very easy to lift.

scroll wheel is a bit stiff on the Avior surely, but I find it feels better than the Zowie mice to me regardless of that. I suspect I've just gotten used to it but it feels softer now than before.

and the EC1/EC2/AM all use an older sensor, which still is good, but might be worth mentioning if you're picky about sensor performance.
I also have a feeling that the Avior performs better than the Zowie FK1 due to not having the custom lens. not by much though.

the Naos 7000 is btw right-handed and for palm grip, but does look a bit funny if you care about that :p

Offline ajx

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 13:58:31 »
how stiff they are in comparison with other wheels? i mean click (i ve heard about huano's tech for Zowie) and scroll-wheel
I tried many Razer, Logitech and Steelseries Raw.
Razer has perfect stiffness while i ve been shocked by Steelseries Raw scroll-wheel stiffness
Not very pleasant.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 14:15:40 »
Zowie FK button switches are the stiffest I have ever used, compared to Logitech and Razer, it's a lot stiffer. AM also kinda stiff. EC1/EC2 not as bad, but still a bit stiff.
whereas the Mionix mice have really nice and soft feel to them.

for scroll wheel, I find the Mionix is a lot smoother and not as stiff as the Logitech G400/G400s, so you might think it's even better than those. though the Razer mice I have used all had a bit softer wheel than the Mionix.
The Zowie mice actually have a pretty soft scroll wheel, but it stopped working very well for me, just kinda skips and gets stuck inbetween two scroll clicks. it's a little bit annoying.
but if you mean the middle mouse button (scroll wheel button) and pressing it down... the Mionix is my favourite there. it's grippy and soft material, a little bit stiff to press down, but feels very nice and springy.
Logitech I found was a bit hard material and hard to press, got a bit uncomfortable. Zowie were quite soft but the wheel in general was a bit meh.

hope that is of some help!

Offline ajx

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 14:53:16 »
do you own both FK/FK1 and Mionix Avior 7000?
both have great sensor, all i have to focus its about shape, ergonomic and stiffness from click/scroll-wheel
to be honest, having a G700, i get used to use heavier and giant mice although i have mid size hands  :D
its quite personal, i feel better on bigger and larger mice
nonetheless, it doesn't bother me to put my hand on smaller and lighter mice, its just an habit to get used to
FK1 looks more rounded at the top of shell while Avior 7000 is flat as straight line

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 22:01:33 »
FK and Mionix Avior 7000, no FK1, but I have tried it as I know a few people who have it.
I used to have AM and EC2 eVo as well as an EC1.

you should indeed focus on the ergonomics aspect - but it's always good if you can get the better sensor as well :p
if you want a big/large mouse, I definitely think you should rule out the FK/EC2/AM/FK1/Avior 7000. that leaves you with EC1 eVo (which rumours say should get the 3310 sensor too) and the Naos 7000?

or even Logitech G402/G502 maybe. I forgot how the scroll wheel was on the G502 when I tried it, not really my biggest priority, and I haven't tried the G402... but I assume there is no way for you to try any of these mice out before buying? :(

however, the Zowie mice all have the same scroll wheel now, it seems? they feel very similar at least. and I find it to be rather disappointing. so if scroll wheel is very important... maybe think about putting other brands before Zowie :p sorry to say, they are really great mice otherwise.

Offline ajx

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 22:52:53 »
People say, Mionix Avior 7000 suits for claw/fingertip hand grip style (small hands)
e.g even on big/large mouse such as G700 (i think its a big mouse), the clicking zone is near to scroll-wheel position (claw hand grip style)
anyway i am going to order Avior 7000, it provides more options to me (more buttons, perfectly suitable for my hand grip style, DPI adjustment...)
By the way, you are right, focusing on ergonomic aspect its indeed very important, if mice has wonderful sensor and crap ergonomic, i will throw in the garbage  ;D
I am very sensitive about ergonomic, sometimes something insignificant might change my feeling
e.g coating aspect, when i got my Logitech G700 for the first time, it felt quite odd in my hand due to its rough coat texture
on Razer mice, some area could be glossy, also not very pleasant as feeling
worst texture coat belongs to G500, i cannot touch it
I need smooth texture coating in order to feel comfortable
Hope Avior 7000 does
last questions:
Mionix released SK Edition

It looks indeed pretty well but these white buttons and scroll-wheel
i don't believe it can last over time, white material gets dirty quite quickly no?
Should i avoid this version?
Another question mark
I have hard pad (Razer Destructor 2), in some reviews, it says, either optical mice doesn't fit well on hard pad or it will destroy teflon pad from mouse
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 August 2014, 22:54:35 by ajx »

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 12:44:40 »
the Mionix mice have a very smooth coating, I like it a lot actually. I think it is very similar to some other mice I have used, so I can't say if it's the best :p but it's really nice. I can grip it super easily and I have very sweaty hands in the summers. no gloss anywhere!
the customization of the Avior is fantastic, even has LOD option! I was a bit surprised since usually it's just boring options like DPI etc... but this one is kinda neat, and saves onto mouse so you don't have to have it running or even installed :)

I can't say anything about the SK Edition, since I haven't tried it, but it does look kinda cool indeed. however I do find that modern white plastics tend to keep their white for a longer time if you clean them. but it might be a bit too much work to do so a lot, especially the scroll wheel. :P

well those reviews you can ignore... only really low quality teflon feet will be worn out quickly from those pads. :) the Mionix seem really good to me.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 18:47:51 »
Mionix does have great stock feet.
One of the best I've used I think.

Offline ajx

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 02:02:34 »
Logitech 402, what do you think guys?
I think it can compete with Mionix / Zowie?
Good things, i own Logitech mice since a while and its one of my favorite brand + great after sale + many programmable buttons

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 09:31:37 »
I like it, it's a bit ugly but if you don't think so then it's really good. the sensor feels very responsive and fast! I might even put it above Zowie in terms of performance, IMO. not sure vs FK1 though, but at least the 3090 Zowies. :)

Offline ajx

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 12:27:32 »
i own mouse even uglier than this 402^^
i couldnt complaint their design since Logitech also bring desktop users to their mice (its pretty nice to use their mice out of gaming purpose)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 20:18:35 »
Mionix released SK Edition
Show Image

It looks indeed pretty well but these white buttons and scroll-wheel
i don't believe it can last over time, white material gets dirty quite quickly no?
Should i avoid this version?

I've got this one connected to another PC and it's been fine. Don't worry about 'dirtying' your white coloured buttons because it won't absorb anything, unless you happened to have inserted your index finger into someone's anus and pulled out a lot of ugly stuff.  That may stick to the white buttons of your Mionix device  :)) .

Offline ajx

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 20:30:24 »
anyway too late for regretting anything: i put an order on amazon, Mionix AVior 7000 SK Edition (lovely edition) is coming pretty  soon :p
thanks for you, people who gave me nice feedback and information about these mice.  :thumb:

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 21:53:28 »
let us know what you think when you get it!

Offline ajx

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 15:24:45 »
i got it from today
hmm still need to get used to feel glide without acceleration^^
but first impressions:
- click makes louder noisy sound than former mouse
- side buttons are way too soft for me
- about ergonomic, i find it a bit too flat, actually i like bombed mouse but still ok
- scroll-wheel, yes definetely better than former logitech scroll-wheel

Now fews questions, i am tempted to try FK/FK1 if side buttons are less soft, i find them annoying because i think i can press them accidentally
Clicking is very noisy as well.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 15:56:53 »
ahh yes the click is quite loud thud-like... zowie mice tend to make more of a 'tick' sound when you click them. still quite loud. :p just a different sound character.
hmm, I do like the side button softness, didn't think people would have such strong preferences for that. :( maybe because I don't use them in-game.
FK1 has a LOT harder click, but side buttons are only a little bit harder.

about ergonomics... always a tough one :( when you can't try them out first.
if you find it a bit flat, the FK'14 is actually less tall, and FK1 is only 0.4mm taller. so that... won't really help.

but it's nice that you like the scroll wheel, it's definitely one of the best ones I've used yet!

Offline ajx

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 16:11:36 »
you know what, ergonomic getting better and better
i have still my G700 next to Mionix, 3 years of daily use vs first trying^^
i can handle it, i believe i am very flexible user lol (medium size hands + most common mouse hand grip style, between clw and fingertip like many users)
Still an issue for me, right click seems to have different and louder noisy sound than left right (maybe a flaw)

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 16:54:55 »
yeah ergonomics tend to be a matter of getting used to :) I hope you give it enough chance to get a feel for it.
I wonder if maybe you can mod the switches to sound less like so? cause I get what you mean!
but the clicks do sound diff/feel diff indeed... even on mine. I didn't mind it but I think maybe you could see if there is a way to mod them without changing the feel (too much)?

Offline ajx

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 16:10:08 »
I contacted Amazon for a refund:
Obviously, it doesn't sound normal, right click makes like a kind of resonance noise when you pay attention into it
Dunno if i order again Mionix Avior 7000 or take the risk of trying FK1
Help me   >:D
If i order again Avior 7000 and this issue will happen again  :(
In the other hands, FK1 has apparently severe issue with scrool-wheel, dunno if it was related to the first batch, random faulty models
Pf, i have an idea: i will buy both  ;D

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 16:11:46 »
I had that too on my mionix naos.
I think it's a QC issue.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 16:21:01 »
haha. well if you can buy both... go for it! the only way to know for sure is to try it.
if you like small right handed mice, maybe you could choose the Kone Pure Military instead of either of those. you just seemed very decided on trying the Avior or the FK1 first. :p
the buttons should be softer than the FK1 at least, and people love the scroll wheel on it.

I am going to try one pretty soon, but that's a few days from here.

Offline ajx

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 16:41:48 »
I eventually ordered again this Mionix, give it another chance  :p
Amazon is currently re-stocking FK1, 2/3 weeks and it will be ready to be purchased, i would probably get one for testing or as backup mouse (since no driver need, perfect backup mouse)
I will post here if this new Mionix Avior 7000 has same right/left click different noise sound  :thumb:

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 05:32:18 »
I eventually ordered again this Mionix, give it another chance  :p
Amazon is currently re-stocking FK1, 2/3 weeks and it will be ready to be purchased, i would probably get one for testing or as backup mouse (since no driver need, perfect backup mouse)
I will post here if this new Mionix Avior 7000 has same right/left click different noise sound  :thumb:

You can get a FK1 now from http://www.ebay.com/itm/FREE-SHIP-Zowie-Gear-FK-Optical-Gaming-Mouse-Black-/221265665659?pt=Mice&hash=item3384761e7b comes from SuperBiiz's ebay sales, very quick delivery. I have bought a few Zowie mouse's (EC1-EC2,FK1) from them very satisfied. 

Offline ajx

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 13:04:07 »
I would rather buy on Amazon, amazing customer service!
I returned faulty mouse this morning and i have been refunded couple hours later only lol

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 06:36:13 »
You can get a FK1 now from http://www.ebay.com/itm/FREE-SHIP-Zowie-Gear-FK-Optical-Gaming-Mouse-Black-/221265665659?pt=Mice&hash=item3384761e7b comes from SuperBiiz's ebay sales, very quick delivery. I have bought a few Zowie mouse's (EC1-EC2,FK1) from them very satisfied.

Damn good price PLUS the shipping to Convict Town is extremely reasonable, thank you very much for the highlight here  :thumb: .

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 06:44:15 »
that is an FK'14 though, just a heads-up. :o

Offline ajx

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 06:54:15 »
I have question about SQT or SQUAT surface testing or something like this
I have tried it on hard pad and got always 100%
Meaning i have really good mouse pad for this mouse?

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 07:38:05 »
no idea, some people got 60% with pads that didn't work at all... :p
I got 50% with a pad that I found very little problems with. I haven't really looked into what the tool actually does yet...

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 07:52:11 »

Damn good price PLUS the shipping to Convict Town is extremely reasonable, thank you very much for the highlight here  :thumb: .

that is an FK'14 though, just a heads-up. :o
Sorry wrong FK this is FK1 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zowie-Gear-FK1-USB-Wired-Optical-Gaming-Mouse-Black-/191283898555?pt=Mice&hash=item2c8968a8bb (all those FK's look similar)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 22:36:49 »
FK1 finally available here in Australia from Mwave and have just paid for one.  Can't wait for it's delivery to my place here in nowheresville  :thumb: .

It's so small looking from the photos on the net I just hope it's a little larger than the official WMO which was so tiny in size.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 23:16:52 »
FK1 finally available here in Australia from Mwave and have just paid for one.  Can't wait for it's delivery to my place here in nowheresville  :thumb: .

It's so small looking from the photos on the net I just hope it's a little larger than the official WMO which was so tiny in size.

tell me how it stacks against the g502 .

Offline ajx

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 18:05:03 »
New Mionix Avior 7000 SK Edition hasnt left/right click sound issue
I had previous faulty mouse

Offline ajx

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 15:37:32 »
now i can give you my straight opinions after testing it deeper

+ sensor, for gaming purpose, just perfect
+ scroll-wheel, not as stiff as i was afraid, fairly in the middle of soft and stiff
+ side buttons, it was too soft at first impressions. overt time, i get used to really appreciate them, they are smooth and quite quiet which is good if your daling/parents/baby sleeps next to your computer desktop
+ glide on my hard-pad,  completely smooth and quiet while my former and sold Logitech does make a slight glide noise
+ customization, its still nice to custom any aspect such as DPIs, programmable buttons, LoD, LEDs colour...
+ nice coating, its mat but very smooth. I never have such feeling with this kind of mouse coating. I am very sensitive about coating feeling (but smoothness its always good for fitting hand grip better)

- its my opinion but my hand grip doesnt fit at 100%, i am not really claw, i would say i have an hybrid grip hand between palm and claw (most likely closer to the palm grip though)
- software failed once after testing LEDs, and mouse eventually stop working, it worked fully normal after reboot computer...
+ click makes still noisy sound imo, there is less difference between left/right click (not noticeable unlike the previous faulty model), it makes a crispy sound.
I know some people love this sound but i don't, i would rather pick quiet sound click instead of this but its minor con and highly subjective as well
- I noticed the coating area where my thumb and little finger hold on the mouse has been turned into grass and glossy aspect, i have sweat hands, dunno if it could severely damage coating.
I would put 9,5/10 for the sensor (but i would test on cloth pad whether glide would provide more accuracy according OCN, it fits better on soft surface) and 8/10 for ergonomic aspect
i eventually recommend it for potential buyers  :p
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 September 2014, 17:09:52 by ajx »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 21:13:50 »
tell me how it stacks against the g502 .

Just received the FK1 today and sure enough it's almost exactly like the traditional WMO mouse body except for the front part were you rest your fingers.  It's ever so light compared to anything built by Logitech now.

First thing of note is the ease of selecting mouse dpi speed, simply lift your rodent and underneath there's a nice bright yellow button, above that is an led slot that shows a bright coloured led light showing different colours of light.  I suppose it's for speed selection because the mouse when first plugged into your computer is extremely slow, hence the requirement to start pressing that yellow button  :thumb: .

Another thing of note is the two buttons on this mouse they're loud when pressed.  The Logitech G502 is extremely silent compared to this little devil.  So if you're a youngster wanting to view late night porn in your bedroom without your parents knowing about it - FORGET IT.  Not only will it wake them up but maybe your next door neighbours as well, so you've been warned  ;D .

The infamous scroll wheel here is somewhat extremely stiff because it isn't as easy as G502 to scroll in fact it may help reinvigorate my index finger with extra strength.  Nothing better than having a mouse that makes you work harder in scrolling pages on the internet.

This is a fundamental mouse with absolutely no special gizmo's or attachments whatsoever which might appeal to a lot of users out there.  The coating on this mouse is like their previous models so you won't get anything better or different hence no surprises here with how it feels on your fingers and palm.

Overall this mouse is for the WMO fanatics because unlike the WMO's this baby has the latest and greatest 3310 optical sensor.

Another thing of note, the mouse cable is absolutely SUPERB, a very flexible cable made from a rubber like compound that easily can sit on your desk or mouse pad and not get hooked or trapped on any type of surface when you decide to game extremely hard.  This is perhaps the very best rubber cable available on any type of mouse currently made.

Offline chuckster

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 00:03:57 »
I'm currently considering these two mice as well (Mionix Avior-SK and Zowie FK), as well as the Roccat Kone Pure Optical, and I'm wondering, how does the overall quality stack up between these mice? I recently bought a Logitech M570 trackball and was really disappointed at how cheap and hollow the mouse body felt. Maybe it's just my preference for heavier mice, but I'm really looking for something that feels solid and will stand the test of time.

Offline sobe

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 00:53:01 »
Damn it guys, went ahead and bought an FK1 :/

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 03:35:49 »
I'm currently considering these two mice as well (Mionix Avior-SK and Zowie FK), as well as the Roccat Kone Pure Optical, and I'm wondering, how does the overall quality stack up between these mice?

Hey get all three, the Avior-SK (Nice quality), Zowie FK1 (Okay from Zowie, nothing outstanding except for the sensor which is GREAT) and the KPO which has that familiar high quality finish.

If you want something to last I suspect the Kone Military will have the 3310 sensor - absolutely worth it, as well as the Avior-SK.  Remember that strangers can only recommend  what they are currently using but every person's hand is different in size and shape hence getting a particular input device to fit every type of human hand is nearly impossible.

Good luck in looking for that special mouse that fits you 'perfectly'  :thumb: .

Offline ajx

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 14:04:28 »
Damn it guys, went ahead and bought an FK1 :/

I'm currently considering these two mice as well (Mionix Avior-SK and Zowie FK), as well as the Roccat Kone Pure Optical, and I'm wondering, how does the overall quality stack up between these mice? I recently bought a Logitech M570 trackball and was really disappointed at how cheap and hollow the mouse body felt. Maybe it's just my preference for heavier mice, but I'm really looking for something that feels solid and will stand the test of time.
Up t you and according your hand grip, its all about ergonomic
FK1 tends to be more like a LAN mouse, you cannot tweak it much, all settings should be done manually
In the other hands, Mionix has implemented a deeper software which alows you many settings

Offline edwardpark8

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 03:20:03 »
using an EC1 evo right now and it's perfect. ergonomic, sensor is great, no software needed. about the size of DA and is suited for palm grips. EC2 evo is just smaller version of the EC1, I've had both

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 07:50:23 »
The main selling point for me is Zowie Plug 'n Play approach. So sad they stopped the production of the Zowie AM. I prefer it's shape to the FK/FK1 since it is closer to the WMO's form factor.